╌>

For The Baby Boomers - On Drums : Hal Blaine

Category:  Entertainment

By:  johnrussell  •  5 years ago  •  10 comments

For The Baby Boomers - On Drums : Hal Blaine
The main drummer for The Wrecking Crew was Hal Blaine. As this video demonstrates, this one guy was the drummer on some of the biggest Top 40 hits of the era. The output is nothing short of astonishing.

60's pop music, and to a lesser extent 70's pop music , on the West coast ws dominated by a group of studio musicians known as "The Wrecking Crew". The main drummer for The Wrecking Crew was Hal Blaine. As this video demonstrates, this one guy was the drummer on some of the biggest Top 40 hits of the era. The output is nothing short of astonishing.

You might wonder why Hal Blaine was the drummer on Beach Boys records, or The Byrds or Gary Lewis and The Playboys. That is because the record companies decided that the drummers (and often other musicians) in some groups were just not up to the standard they wanted, and the record companies wanted it done right the first time, or in as few takes as possible. Hal Blaine and the wrecking crew had a professionalism that made them perfect for daily recording studio work.

As you watch just remember, the drummer is the same person on every cut.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
1  author  JohnRussell    5 years ago

Hal Blaine on drums

Hal Blaine - Wikipedia

https:// en.wikipedia.org /wiki/ Hal_Blaine
f9bbbf72.png
Overview

Hal Blaine (born Harold Simon Belsky; February 5, 1929) is an American drummer and session musician .
He is most known for his work with the Wrecking Crew , a group of musicians who recorded prolifically in the Los Angeles music scene and played behind a large number of musicians in the 1960s and '70s. Blaine played on numerous hits by popular groups, including Nancy Sinatra , Jan and Dean , Elvis Presley , John Denver , the Ronettes , Simon & Garfunkel , the Carpenters , the Beach Boys , the Grass Roots , the 5th Dimension , the Monkees , the Partridge Family , and Steely Dan . He has played on 40 number one hit sin…

Hal Blaine On Drums

Read more on Wikipedia

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
2  Bob Nelson    5 years ago

Wow!

That is impressive!

It'd be quicker to do a clip of the stuff he did not play on!

It Is ME
Masters Guide
3  It Is ME    5 years ago

[deleted]

It Is ME
Masters Guide
4  It Is ME    5 years ago

[deleted]

Kavika
Professor Principal
5  Kavika     5 years ago

He was amazing...

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
6  author  JohnRussell    5 years ago

Hal Blaine was the regular drummer for Phil Spector recordings

Ender
Professor Principal
7  Ender    5 years ago

Sadly he probably never made any where near what the so called artists did. Monetary wise.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
7.1  author  JohnRussell  replied to  Ender @7    5 years ago

Hal Blaine made a lot of money relative to the average person. Relative to music superstars maybe not so much. Over the course of his long career he made millions of dollars playing the drums on records. He is 90 years old now and his net worth is listed online as 5 million.

I saw an interview with him in a documentary a few years ago where, if I remember correctly, he complains about all the money he had to spend on alimony.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
8  author  JohnRussell    5 years ago

In a 2016 magazine article , Rolling Stone ranked Hal Blaine as the fifth greatest drummer of all time.

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
8.1  Bob Nelson  replied to  JohnRussell @8    5 years ago

Cool list...