╌>

US Air Force Defector Allegedly Helped Iran Hack Americans

Category:  Op/Ed

Via:  sparty-on  •  5 years ago  •  7 comments

US Air Force Defector Allegedly Helped Iran Hack Americans

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

In 2019, an indictment of Iranian hackers targeting American government officials barely raises an eyebrow. But in one remarkable case, those hackers had an unusual advantage: the alleged help of an American defector with top secret clearance.

On Wednesday, the Department of Justice announced charges against Monica Elfriede Witt, a former Air Force counterintelligence officer who, the indictment claims, was recruited by the Iranian government to spill highly classified information, some of which was then used by Iranian hackers—four of whom are also charged—to target Witt's former US government colleagues. The charges represent a rare defection of an American military officer to become an active participant in another country's espionage operations.

Witt allegedly helped exposed the identity of an active US agent, as well as the codename and classified details of a secret US counterintelligence operation, all in service of Iran.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Sparty On
Professor Principal
1  seeder  Sparty On    5 years ago

May the fleas of a thousand Sunni camels infest this traitors hijab

katrix
Sophomore Participates
1.1  katrix  replied to  Sparty On @1    5 years ago

Heh.  Agreed.

Although I'd probably go a step further, if he exposed the identity of an active US agent and the details of an operation.  I'd have him dragged behind the camels.

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
1.1.1  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  katrix @1.1    5 years ago

It's a she....

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
2  Ed-NavDoc    5 years ago

Hope the traitorous piece of filth comes under the eye of a roving Predator...

1stwarrior
Professor Participates
4  1stwarrior    5 years ago

Over the next two years, she allegedly helped search Facebook for details of US agents she had previously worked with and assembled "target packages" that provided profiles of the agents for Iranian hackers, even sharing the name of one active agent in a compromising position, endangering that agent's life, according to assistant attorney general Demers.

I realize that $.68 for a .50 cal bullet may sound expensive, but a good "GoFundMe" page could surely bring some takers.

Back in my days, Witt wouldn't have made it as far as she has - just sayin'.

Sparty On
Professor Principal
4.1  seeder  Sparty On  replied to  1stwarrior @4    5 years ago

I have some AP that i'd gladly donate to the cause but i'm afraid that would just let her off the hook too easy.