╌>

These 7 GOP Lawmakers Just Introduced Some of the Most Vile, Hateful Anti-LGBTQ Legislation We’ve Ever Seen, in Kansas

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  dulay  •  5 years ago  •  8 comments

These 7 GOP Lawmakers Just Introduced Some of the Most Vile, Hateful Anti-LGBTQ Legislation We’ve Ever Seen, in Kansas
Think again if you believe the GOP isn’t coming to remove LGBTQ rights, or that same-sex marriage is a settled issue.

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

Kansas GOP state Representatives Randy Garber, Owen Donohoe, David French, Cheryl Helmer, Ron Highland, Steve Huebert and Bill Rhiley introduced a set of vile and hateful legislation on Wednesday.

The legislation seeks to ban same-sex marriage, legally deny the existence of transgender people, allow harmful and debunked gay conversion therapy, and much more.

One of the bills describes sexual orientation as a “mythology” but that’s just where the hate begins.

Said Rep. Susan Ruiz, the first lesbian to serve openly in the Kansas Legislature: “I see who the co-sponsors are and I sit with a couple of them in committee and I’m certainly going to talk to them about that and say, hey, I don’t know if you know about it or not, but I’m not a myth… Am I a unicorn?”

The legislation:

Bans Kansas from recognizing same-sex marriage.

Defines same-sex marriage as “parody” marriage” and create an elevated “marriage” option for straight couples with “higher standards of commitment.

Says same-sex marriages “erode community standards of decency”

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Dulay
Professor Expert
1  seeder  Dulay    5 years ago
Quote: ‘Parody marriages have never been a part of American
tradition and heritage and have nothing to do with the substantive due
process clause of the 14th amendment of the constitution of the United
States; The history of parody marriages is that most forms were
illegal until recently or they remain illegal today, and they continue to
erode community standards of decency.’

Bars the state from recognizing transgender people.

Allows harmful, sham, and debunked gay conversion therapy.

Says that LGBTQ people are aligned with the secular humanism movement, calling it a religion and saying the rainbow flag is the symbol of a “faith-based worldview.

This legislation would be hilarious if it weren't so sad...

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
2  Bob Nelson    5 years ago

I sometimes wonder if junk legislation like this is nothing more than bad theater: the authors get some spotlight, while knowing that the bill won't survive in court.

Split Personality
Professor Guide
3  Split Personality    5 years ago

My BIL is from KS.  I'm not shocked....

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
4  sandy-2021492    5 years ago

WV Delegate Eric Porterfield (R) implied on video that he would drown his children if they told him they were gay.

bbl-1
Professor Quiet
5  bbl-1    5 years ago

The right wing is flexing its muscles.  Ironically, the right wing governments in Europe and Putin's Russia conduct themselves in the same manner.  Of course, one must never suggest that there may be a connection between them, right?

This is simple.  Gays, like Jews and many others are targets of convenience, targets of the immorality of morality.

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
5.1  Bob Nelson  replied to  bbl-1 @5    5 years ago

"different"

Freefaller
Professor Quiet
6  Freefaller    5 years ago
create an elevated “marriage” option for straight couples with “higher standards of commitment.

Considering half of straight marriages end in divorce how exactly do they plan to test and then enforces these higher standards?

Otherwise this is another big waste of peoples time and money, because even if passed it would never survive.

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
6.1  Bob Nelson  replied to  Freefaller @6    5 years ago
how exactly do they plan to test

Chains.