╌>

31 Actual National Emergencies

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  don-overton  •  5 years ago  •  57 comments

31 Actual National Emergencies
A Wannabe Strongman’s Brown Menace Straw Man

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

Everyone with five functioning gray cells knows that the aspiring fascist strongman Donald Trump’s Declaration of a National Emergency on the U.S.-Mexico border is absurd.

There is no “national security crisis” of illegal immigration on the southern United States border.

Illegal crossings are not at “emergency” levels; they are at a fifty-year low.

Undocumented immigrants are not a crime and violence threat.  They are less likely to commit crimes, violent ones included, than naturalized U.S. citizens.

Drugs come into the U.S. not through gaps in border fencing but primarily through legal ports of entry.

Read the article here...

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
1  Bob Nelson    5 years ago

Perhaps we should thank the President for setting this precedent: the non-emergency emergency. And now, let's give him the opportunity to set a precedent of reallocation of funds to resolve the "emergency".

Then, when the next Democratic President comes along, this list of genuine emergencies can be addressed.

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
2  Sean Treacy    5 years ago

Illegal crossings are not at “emergency” levels; they are at a fifty-year low.

No one knows how many people cross the border illegally. Why would you think that they do?

Undocumented immigrants are not a crime and violence threat.

Are they not humans? Are you saying illegal aliens are magical creatures who don't commit crimes and violence?

Big news, if true.

Last time I checked, illegal aliens do commit violent crimes.  I

Steve Ott
Professor Quiet
2.1  Steve Ott  replied to  Sean Treacy @2    5 years ago

And so do police: HIT & RUN BLOG Houston Narc Who Lied to Justify a Deadly Drug Raid Had Been Accused of Perjury

Should we build walls around them to keep us safe?

bccrane
Freshman Silent
2.1.1  bccrane  replied to  Steve Ott @2.1    5 years ago

Should we build walls around them to keep us safe?

I do believe they call that a prison.

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
2.1.2  Sean Treacy  replied to  Steve Ott @2.1    5 years ago
d so do police

Are police American citizens?

Steve Ott
Professor Quiet
2.1.3  Steve Ott  replied to  bccrane @2.1.1    5 years ago

Indeed they do.

Steve Ott
Professor Quiet
2.1.4  Steve Ott  replied to  Sean Treacy @2.1.2    5 years ago

Is that really the point though? The Rant is usually along the lines of, "they commit murders, they are rapists, blah, blah blah. We can't allow these kinds of people in our country." So, following along those same lines of thought, sans illegal or not, why not build walls around, or against, those who commit these crimes?

Then there is painting of an entire population with the broad brush of evil. Saying that all people who come across the border are murders or rapists would be like me painting all republicans as child molesters because one republican somewhere molested a child. Logic just don't work that way. But hey, what the hell does logic have to do with politics anyway?

Don Overton
Sophomore Quiet
2.2  seeder  Don Overton  replied to  Sean Treacy @2    5 years ago

Last time I checked, illegal aliens do commit violent crimes

Hummm you  just ignore the facts, wow

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
2.2.1  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  Don Overton @2.2    5 years ago

No, he just brought up items you have chosen to ignore...

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
2.2.2  Ozzwald  replied to  Don Overton @2.2    5 years ago

He cherry picks specific words to respond to, while ignoring the words that don't support his claim.  Sometimes within the same sentence.

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
2.2.3  Sean Treacy  replied to  Don Overton @2.2    5 years ago

No. Illegal aliens do commit crimes. Lots of them.  

Bickering about the rate (and the evidence from prisons shows they commit crimes at the same or greater rate then American citizens) is a distraction. Even one death caused by an illegal alien is one too many because they have no right to be here.  

Those deaths are the hands of those who refuse to control our borders. 

livefreeordie
Junior Silent
6  livefreeordie    5 years ago

For Trump haters and other critics who claim that there is no border crisis because supposedly illegal crossings are at historic lows

Let’s assume your argument and pursue that logic. Given the low figure of 30,000 per month (and actual numbers for the past 6 months are 50,000 per month) and that Border Patrol data shows they apprehend 50%:

That means EVERY DAY, 7 DAYS a WEEK we have 2000 illegals entering this country, with 1000 living here. 7000 a week, 364,000 a year getting free education, free healthcare paid for by taxpayers

If only 2% are criminals that is 14 criminals a week, 728 criminals a year entering our country

And we’re supposed to believe that is not a crisis for our country?  That kind of thinking is either insane, naive, or diabolical

Don Overton
Sophomore Quiet
6.2  seeder  Don Overton  replied to  livefreeordie @6    5 years ago

[Discuss Topic not members of the forum]

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
6.3  Ozzwald  replied to  livefreeordie @6    5 years ago
If only 2% are criminals that is 14 criminals a week, 728 criminals a year entering our country

If you want to be taken seriously, you need to compare your 14 illegal alien criminals each week, to how many American Citizens are found guilty of a crime (making them criminals) each week.

Mass Incarceration: The Whole Pie 2018

Makes those 728 of yours look pretty pitiful and small.

And we’re supposed to believe that is not a crisis for our country?    That kind of thinking is either insane, naive, or diabolical

A crises is not something that has been in existence for over 50 years.  Over 11 million citizens are arrested every year, and you are saying that 728 constitutes a crises, but the 11 million do not??  Are you insane???

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
7  Buzz of the Orient    5 years ago

I got as far as number 16 in the Counterpunch list of emergencies and realized that the list was just a load of crap, when it states that AIPAC paid dollars to lawmakers is not an antisemitic canard.  Read these words:  "It's the Benjamins, baby"  Who?  "AIPAC".  Meaning for those who don't understand those words that "AIPAC buys lawmakers by paying them money" which is saying that the Jews control legislation by paying money to lawmakers - a TOTAL LIE and DEFINED as antisemitism, in the IHMA definition ADOPTED and signed to by the American Department of State.  That's not the only antisemitic thing she's said, and by now you've all seen some of her other comments.

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
7.1  Bob Nelson  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @7    5 years ago

You're throwing out the baby with the bathwater, Buzz. Let's agree that n° 16 is crap. There are THIRTY others.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
7.1.1  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Bob Nelson @7.1    5 years ago

I know number 16 is crap.  I have no comment on the others but that does not mean I agree that they're NOT crap.

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
7.1.2  Bob Nelson  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @7.1.1    5 years ago

C'mon, Buzz!

There are 31 propositions. Don't you think it a bit harsh to reject all, because of one?

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
7.1.3  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Bob Nelson @7.1.2    5 years ago

Okay, okay, I'll go through them to keep you happy.

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
7.1.4  Bob Nelson  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @7.1.3    5 years ago

jrSmiley_28_smiley_image.gif

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
7.1.5  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @7.1.3    5 years ago

1. I don't know if it can be considered an emergency. It's what one might expect in a democratic capitalist society. At least Buffet and Gates are not only giving much to charity, but convincing other billionairs to do the same.

2. I would consider this one more seriously if the author didn't feel it necessary to infuse it with his own political bias.

3. Being somewhat of a perfectionist I respect accuracy, and the author could have been more careful in not naming the late highly respected (by me at least) Associate Supreme Court Justice Louis Brandeis as some kind of alcoholic beverage. As well, how can the general public be considered powerless - don't they vote? If there are no honest politicians, then it's time the Mr. Smiths went to Washington and the general public woke up and elected them.

4. I personally feel that legislation hasn made, but could better make, unions superfluous. I guess I feel that way because I grew up with a father who owned a factory with 18 employees who were almost considered family by my him, and he always helped them when needed and went to bat for them. Nobody ever even talked about joining a union, but if they did, and joined a union, my father was going to lock the door and retire. So don't expect me to be a union sympathizer - there was the time of the sweatshops when they were an absolute necessity, but not now, unless they have the power to totally stagnate the whole country if required to bring about fair wage legislation.

5. I'm neither a citizen nor a resident in the USA so my opinions have been considered ignorant of reality but if you're going to talk about the prejudices encouraged through the movies (and this goes for number 6 as well) in Gran Torino Walt Kowalski (Clint Eastwood) was prejudiced against the "gooks" and as the movie progressed came to the realization that he was so wrong about them and (without spoiling the movie ending) did the biggest deed of his life because of them and gave his most valued item to one of them. In Remember the Titans, Denzel Washington was able to break prejudice against blacks, and Hollywood generally has more recently been putting black actors in positions of authority and respect - not servitude. Sorry, but I'm not a fan of affirmative action that prevents brilliance to be recognized. As for media bias - I've commented on that enough elsewhere, and IMO it's not going to change until the public is educated enough to realize how rampant it is.

6. My answer to number 5.

7. That's an emergency? Do women not have a vote? Over the past dacades that has been changing positively for women and I'm sure it will continue to change for their benefit.

8. From the time I, as a teenager, working in my father's factory with Native Canadians, I have been supprotive of them, friends with them, acted as counsel to many, and volunteered in a charity to benefit them. I agree with every opinion Kavika has on this - but as I said with respect to the glass ceiling for women, because Native Americans are increasing their clout in positions of authority and "The Times They Are A'changing".

9. Nobody forces anyone to join a gang, to obtain an illegal weapon, to commit a crime. Racial prejudice is learned behaviour - put toddlers of different races together and they see no difference in each other. What can be done about racial prejudice, and as for the disparity in the prison population, is that situation any different from the general situation of blacks in the USA?

10. I will not take such incendiary language seriously. In my opinion, the American people got what they deserved - some can live with it and other refuse to, but where's the "emergency"?

11. This goes along with the bias situation of the media doesn't it - the war on truth. The American people have the opportunity (not an opportunity where I am living) to change things, don't they. In the meantime, I suggest you all take the advice of the great American philosopher of the Okeefenokee Swamp, Churchy La Femme, of Pogo fame: "Don't take life so serious, son. It ain't nohow permanent."

12. Okay, you have something there - but IMO it's too late to do anything about it. You're not going to take any guns away from anyone, but it's a situation your forefathers created and you love your constitution and its amendment so much who's going to change the situation? As a Canadian, I grew up in a country with good gun controls, and now I'm living in one where only the police and military have them.

13. With my tongue in my cheek I can say hat maybe the Muslims have a solution - dress every woman in a tent with a face cover and hijab (even the actors in movies and on TV) and maybe the American male population will be forced to alleviate its uncontrolled sexual need, prowess and desire. Arm every woman with mace. How do you keep monsters in check?

14. I wasn't aware the USA was such a third world country. How many of those ARE literate in some other language? Who are the ones who are not literate in English? It's interesting to me that for immigration purposes, in its point system, Canada requires immigrants to be liiterate in one of the two official languages, English and French, or they will not be allowed to immigrate.

15. This is just a rehash of American education and racism concerns. As for history, America has decided that it's better to hide it rather than hurt feelings. Seems they have ignored Santayans's adage that those who ignore history are bound to repeat it.

16. I've already indicated my feelings about this, and at this point I'm going to stop and continue with the rest later. I have more important things I want to do right now.

Don Overton
Sophomore Quiet
7.2  seeder  Don Overton  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @7    5 years ago

[Removed]

Tacos!
Professor Guide
8  Tacos!    5 years ago
1. Class Inequality.

For real? What communist bullshit is this article? 

6. Racial Disparity and Apartheid. 7. Gender Inequality.

Oh God, it's worse than I thought.

9. Racist Mass Arrest, Incarceration, and Criminal Marking.

Is this one of those sites like The Onion?