╌>

Baseball Trivia - What've You Got?

Category:  Sports

By:  buzz-of-the-orient  •  5 years ago  •  13 comments

"Baseball is ninety percent mental, and the other half is physical." (Yogi Berra)

This is my only baseball photo, taken with my Canon F1 SLR at 2000th a second - fast enough to stop a hit ball in the air.  I had been invited to watch that game from the Blue Jays corporate box.  My seasons' tickets were about 15 rows up behind home plate.

The season starts this year on March 28, the earliest ever, so it's time to start thinking baseball.

My Trivia:

Right after the Blue Jays won their back-to-back second World Series, they held a Fan Appreciation Day in Toronto's SkyDome.  The fans filled the place and they sure as hell were appreciative - I was there as well.  Joe Carter took the mike and said: "Last year we did it for Cito (Cito Gaston, the team manager) and this time we did it for Paul." (Paul Molitor, an eventual Hall of Famer whose great playing had never won him a Series ring, so he had joined the team that year, and he got his ring.) It was actually Paul Molitor who scored the winning run.  It was the bottom of the 9th, the Jays were one run behind the Phillies, someone was on second and Paul was on first when Joe hit the "Home Run of the Century".

When my next door neighbour and I (we both had sons the same age) were watching a "toddler" (younger than minor league) game where my son was playing catcher and my neighbour's son was playing 1st base, and the kid at bat got a hit but just stood there - the fans started shouting "RUN!! RUN!!" and my neighbour's kid ran to second base.  My neighbour was never so embarrassed in his life.

Are there any REAL baseball fans here?  A REAL baseball fan has to at least once in his life make the pilgrimage to Cooperstown.  My neighbour and our sons, both around 10 years old at the time did it, toured the Hall of Fame, and my son the "catcher" got himself a baseball PURPORTEDLY signed by Yogi Berra, his hero.

DOES ANYONE HERE HAVE BASEBALL TRIVIA TO POST?  LET'S SEE IT.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
1  author  Buzz of the Orient    5 years ago

DOES ANYONE HERE HAVE BASEBALL TRIVIA TO POST?  LET'S SEE IT.

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
2  sandy-2021492    5 years ago

I was always more of a player of the game (baseball first, then softball) than a fan of any team.  My dad was always the one who remembered stats, outstanding plays, and so forth, and he is a die-hard Yankees fan.  

I have been to Cooperstown and toured the Baseball Hall of Fame.  We took a family road trip to Niagara Falls and upstate NY.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
3  Texan1211    5 years ago

Pitcher with most losses, all time?

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
3.1  author  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Texan1211 @3    5 years ago

???

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
3.2  Sean Treacy  replied to  Texan1211 @3    5 years ago

cy young would Be my guess

Texan1211
Professor Principal
3.2.1  Texan1211  replied to  Sean Treacy @3.2    5 years ago

Yep.

Kavika
Professor Principal
4  Kavika     5 years ago

Hitter with the most inside the park homers...career.

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
4.1  Sean Treacy  replied to  Kavika @4    5 years ago

Ty Cobb

Kavika
Professor Principal
4.1.1  Kavika   replied to  Sean Treacy @4.1    5 years ago

Close, Cobb had 46 and Tommy Leach had 48 and Jesse Burkett had 55.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
5  Texan1211    5 years ago

191 is significant because?

Transyferous Rex
Freshman Quiet
6  Transyferous Rex    5 years ago

Joe Carter's home run is way up there on my list. I'm pretty sure I won a buck off of that swing. 

Two moments that are also at the top involve the same player. In 1995, Cal Ripkin Jr. breaks the record for consecutive games, and had a banner day at the plate as well. He continued to add to the streak through the fall of 1998, when he stepped aside, making for, what was to me, an extremely emotional event. Who took the field in his place at third? (Trivia was much better before the internet)