╌>

Hi, I'm Reba - You need to hear my story. UPDATE APRIL 27TH / UPDATE SEPTEMBER 7TH.

Category:  Pets & Animals

By:  kavika  •  5 years ago  •  190 comments

Hi, I'm Reba - You need to hear my story. UPDATE APRIL 27TH / UPDATE SEPTEMBER 7TH.

My wife and I have been volunteering at VOCAL, (Voices of Change Animal League) in Ocala Florida. 

I've been a dog lover and owner most of my adult life. Wiki is our mini Doxie and is 11 years old and still thinks she is a puppy. Our sweet girl, Annie, a rescue we found abandoned on the mountain in SW Missouri when she was 8 years old. We had her for 6 years until she was diagnosed with mass cell cancer. Two operations and we couldn't save her. She walked on in May of 2018. Wiki misses her to this day. 

When we lived in Missouri we worked with the local no-kill shelter. Since moving to Ocala Florida we are volunteering at VOCAL...

The background of some of the dogs and cats that we shelter and get ready for adoption is truly sad. One cannot imagine how humans could treat these animals so badly. 

This brings me to one dog in particular. Her name is Reba, she is a brindle pit bull around seven years old. She was found wandering on the outskirts of Ocala, vastly underweight, scared and starving. It was obvious that she was used as a breeder. One side of her face was stiff and her bark was strange...We took her to the University of Florida, Gainesville to be spayed and checked out by the vet staff there.  

When they were going to put her under for the operation it was discovered that they could get the breathing tube down her throat...What they discovered were polyps that have closed her throat by 75%....Of course the operation couldn't take place and she was brought back to the shelter. The vets said that she probably had a stroke from the look of her face. This is probably why she was dumped on the street since she wasn't any good to the people that were using her for breeding. 

She will be taken back to UoF, Gainesville tomorrow for the polyps to be checked out. The probability is that they are cancerous which means that she will not have much time left. If the vets feel that she is in pain she will be put down there. If they feel that she still has a quality of life she'll be returned to VOCAL and live out what time she has left in a protected, loving environment. 

Reba has been at VOCAL for four weeks and has gained some weight back and is a very gentle loving lady. When I work with the dogs there I try not to get too emotionally involved with them. If I did I'd be bringing them home by the dozens...But Reba struck me like thunder. Perhaps it was the fact that she was used as a breeder and dumped on the street after the stroke with little chance of surviving. Than the polyps in her throat was the next blow. At that point she became my girl, so to speak. 

Years ago I had two pit bulls, sisters and just wonderful dogs...Brandy was a brindle just like Reba. Puki was a brown and white bully..I sure loved those dogs and Reba reminds me of Brandy. So that could be the reason that Reba became my girl. 

I take her for a long walk every day. She loves her walks and you can just feel that she is enjoying them. After the walk we go back to her kennel. She has a bed with a blanket, toys and a crate if she wants to use it. At that time I'll feed her some lunch. Now this is where the fun comes in. On occasion, I stop and get a cheeseburger for her. When she sees the bag you can't imagine how happy she gets. Yet when I break up the cheeseburger for her, she takes each bit from my hand with the gentleness of a newborn. 

After she is finished with ''lunch'' I'll sit on her bed and she'll come over and lay down next to me. A minute later she'll snuggle up to me and rest her chin on my arm and soon she is sound asleep. I'll pet her and if I stop she opens one eye and looks at me as if to say, why are you stopping. As soon as I start petting her again she'll doze off. 

I usually spend an hour to two hours every day with her. I'm retired so time isn't that important to me, but Reba has become that important to me. 

Tomorrow will be the day that decides what the rest of her life will be like. I'm hopeful that it is something that can be cured, but I'm prepared for the worst. I'll know the results on Friday. 

Whatever the outcome is Reba will be well cared for with lots of love and attention. After all she is now my sweet girl. 

This is Reba
512 512

UPDATE ON REBA. APRIL 27TH.

Reba has been through her second round of antibiotics and have improved greatly. One problem remaining is that she has become immune to the current antibiotics and the bacteria remains. The veterinarians believe that she has had this infection for quite some time and that it was never taken care of. She will start a new strain of antibiotics this coming Monday and it will be for 14 days. 

She is developing into the sweetest girl. She love to cuddle and be petted...Yesterday she discovered what toys were. It was an accident that we figured it out, she was being taken for a walk and someone had left a rubber bone (squeaky toy) and she stepped on it and it squeaked...LOL..She thought that was great and quickly picked it up and held it her mouth for the whole walk. After we go back to her kennel she wouldn't let go of it. I started tossing it and she'd race after it and pounce on it, pick it up and bring it back. The she would lay down and have it between her front paws and rest her head on it. I'd toss it and she'd do the same routine. We kept this up for a half an hour. I've never seen her so happy. 

We'd try toys before but not much happened. I don't believe that she had any idea what a toy was based on her background. 

So we found two more squeaky toys for her and she is having a ball with them 

Here are some photos of Reba and her squeaky toys. 

UPDATE AS OF SEPTEMBER 7, 2019.

I everyone, it's me Reba. It's been over four months since the last update so I'll do my best to get you caught up with my life. 

All the medication worked on me and it killed off all the parasites and cured my UTI...I felt much better and starting learning what being a dog is all about. Running, playing, rolling in the grass, eating good food, having toys to play with and most of all someone that really cares for me...My ''Shelter Buddy'' comes to visit me every day for a long time. We take walks and he takes my lease off and lets me run free...Wow, is that fun. 

We also go for car rides and sometimes we stop at MacDonald's for a cheeseburger. I really love it when we do that. I hang my head out the window when we go through the drive-through window and I think that I scared the lady at the window the first time she saw me. I have a big head and part of my face is paralyzed. But after that first time, she talks to me and reaches out her window and pets me...

In the past few months, I got a couple of UTI's but my buddy took me to the vet right away and I got some meds and felt better in a couple of days. 

I've been having a really good time but then my buddy went on vacation and I didn't see him for a week. Something happened in that week because when he came back I wasn't feeling very well...My tummy was upset and I didn't feel like eating much. Then I started throwing up and having to pee a lot. I'm a very good girl and never pee in my kennel but a couple of times I just couldn't hold it and I had an accident. 

My buddy took me for walks but I really didn't feel like walking much and when he took me to MacDonalds for a cheeseburger I didn't want to eat it cuz I don't feel good. 

I thought I was getting thinner but I don't know how to use a scale so it was just a guess. 

I was spending more and more time just laying around. I know that my buddy was getting worried so he took me to the vet a couple of days ago. I get really scared when I have to go to the vet but my buddy stays with me and that helps me stay calm...I'm a big old pit bull but we get scared too. Especially since I've never had a home and was abused a lot until the last six months. But Vocal and my buddy have changed my life so much.

Anyhow, after a couple of days my buddy sat down and talked to me. He doesn't think that I understand him, but us dogs are pretty smart and I know what he is saying to me.

He said that the vet found that my kidneys are not working and are in failure. That is causing all the problems that I'm having now. He said that there isn't much that can be done and my kidneys are just going to quit working soon. 

He also said that I had lost 10% of my body weight, about five pounds. So I guess I was right about the weight loss.

Then he said that my body was shutting down. I'm not sure what that really means but I think it's not good.

Anyhow, we went for a walk today, a very slow walk cuz I don't have much energy. Then we sat in the shaded area and I laid down in the sand, and he petted me until I fell asleep. After a while, he woke me and we went back inside to my kennel and I laid down and fell asleep again. 

I dream good dreams now that I'm safe and have friends. I hope that I have lots more good dreams cuz my life is so much better, but I think that I'm not going to be with my best buddy much longer. Us dogs know these kinds of things.

Here are some photos of me after I got well. I'm having so much fun. 

This is me rolling in the grass. I never did that before but I discovered what fun it is.

This is me in the car with my buddy at MacDonalds having a cheeseburger.

I've also learned to be around other dogs without fighting. I was scared from being on the street for so long and I had to fight to survive. I don't have to do that anymore. I walk really good on a leash too...I'm really proud of myself.

I'm very tired so I'll have to sign off now. I hope that my buddy comes to visit me tomorrow, I really love that and maybe we can take a car ride. That would be fun cuz I can sit in the back seat and stick my head out the window. 

Now sure how many more car trips I will be able to take, it's getting harder and harder to get around...Now my buddy has to lift me into the car. He never had to do that before, I could just jump right in. 

Bye for now, maybe in a few more days I can talk to all of you again. 

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Kavika
Professor Principal
1  author  Kavika     5 years ago

This is link to VOCAL...A truly amazing organization. 

Krishna
Professor Expert
1.1  Krishna  replied to  Kavika @1    5 years ago

Nice to see an organization doing that sort of work! :^)

cjcold
Professor Quiet
1.1.1  cjcold  replied to  Krishna @1.1    5 years ago

Every good dog I ever shared a roof with came from the pound.

Enoch
Masters Quiet
2  Enoch    5 years ago

Dear Brother Kavika: Sorry for this loss to your family.

You and yours, as VOCAL are doing great work.

Being there for those who most need it is a lofty vocation.

Using the index or cloud, under the Mourning category see the article "Legacy of a Pet" in the Chaplains Corner Group.

P&AB.

Enoch.

Kavika
Professor Principal
2.1  author  Kavika   replied to  Enoch @2    5 years ago
Using the index or cloud, under the Mourning category see the article "Legacy of a Pet" in the Chaplains Corner Group. P&AB.

Done and an excellent article niijii.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
3  Buzz of the Orient    5 years ago

Yet another great story from NT's best storyteller.

lib50
Professor Silent
4  lib50    5 years ago

Very moving story.  Sad yet uplifting.  Those loving acts of kindness remind us of the true meaning of life, its why we are here.  What a wonderful thing you and others involved in organizations like that are doing.

Kavika
Professor Principal
4.1  author  Kavika   replied to  lib50 @4    5 years ago

Thanks lib50....My love for animals has been lifelong. Now that I'm retired I have the time to donate to organizations like VOCAL. 

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
5  Perrie Halpern R.A.    5 years ago

I wish Reba much luck tomorrow. Hopefully, since she is happy, not in pain and can eat, they will let her live out her days. 

It's such a sad thing when we have to face such moments with our fur friends.

Kavika
Professor Principal
5.1  author  Kavika   replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @5    5 years ago
I wish Reba much luck tomorrow. Hopefully, since she is happy, not in pain and can eat, they will let her live out her days. 

Perhaps she'll catch a break at the vets today. One can always hope.

katrix
Sophomore Participates
5.1.1  katrix  replied to  Kavika @5.1    5 years ago

Oh, I certainly hope so!  What a sweet girl.

Kavika
Professor Principal
5.1.2  author  Kavika   replied to  katrix @5.1.1    5 years ago

Thanks katrix..

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
5.1.3  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Kavika @5.1.2    5 years ago

Any news yet on her?

Kavika
Professor Principal
5.1.4  author  Kavika   replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @5.1.3    5 years ago

Probably not until this evening or tomorrow. 

shona1
PhD Quiet
6  shona1    5 years ago

A/noon..If wishes were stars, I would dump them all on Florida tonight with hope for Reba..What ever will be, will be and it is in now in the hands of the Gods......But remember if it is the last day Reba walks this earth, she will know what happiness and human kindness was even if only for the last few weeks...Thank you Kavika...I to am an animal lover and at times I prefer animals to humans...What we do to our fellow humans and animals, truly astounds me at times....

Kavika
Professor Principal
6.1  author  Kavika   replied to  shona1 @6    5 years ago

Thanks for the good wishes for Reba, Shona. She is really a sweet girl that has had a very very hard life. Perhaps she''ll catch a break today...

charger 383
Professor Silent
7  charger 383    5 years ago

Athena  my big old Doberman died last week so I'm looking for a new dog,  I miss her, I wanted a Great Dane/Black Lab mix puppy but people keeping her decided to keep her, they deserve first choice.   I have my red Doberman, Bo the 4th and he is lonely 

I want a girl Doberman or Great Dane, I've never had a Dane.  I'll look for a rescue

Kavika
Professor Principal
7.1  author  Kavika   replied to  charger 383 @7    5 years ago

Please find a rescue, charger.. There are so many unwanted dogs, to rescue one is the gift of life for them. 

I'm sorry to hear that your big old Doberman walked on...That is always a difficult time because they are family.

charger 383
Professor Silent
7.1.1  charger 383  replied to  Kavika @7.1    5 years ago

My last 4 have been rescues, I got Athena when she was year and half from a family in town that treated her good but didn't know what they had, lady she said the Vet said  Athena won Doggie lottery if I took her , Bo 4 came from family that couldn't keep him where they moved to.  

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
7.2  Trout Giggles  replied to  charger 383 @7    5 years ago

I'm very sorry for your loss, Charger

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
7.4  sandy-2021492  replied to  charger 383 @7    5 years ago

I'm sorry, charger.  I hope you can find a companion for Bo.

charger 383
Professor Silent
7.4.1  charger 383  replied to  sandy-2021492 @7.4    5 years ago

thanks

dave-2693993
Junior Quiet
8  dave-2693993    5 years ago

Kavika,

Such a good story of a sad situation. Animals are part of the family. In the case of dogs, the family is their pack. It takes very little to make them happy and in turn they are loyal for life.

But society has all kinds of people and some, unfortunately, cause what you are seeing everyday.

You and your wife are good people Kavika. It is uplifting to see this.

Kavika
Professor Principal
8.1  author  Kavika   replied to  dave-2693993 @8    5 years ago

Thanks dave. Hopefully Reba will catch a break today with the vet. One can hope but no matter the outcome she'll know human kindness if only for the few week or longer if she returns to VOCAL.

1stwarrior
Professor Participates
9  1stwarrior    5 years ago

I certainly hope things go well today Kavika - UoF has excellent facilities and great Doctors who care.

Keep giving her love 'cause that is her strength.

Kavika
Professor Principal
9.1  author  Kavika   replied to  1stwarrior @9    5 years ago

Thanks 1st. She'll get plenty of lovin'...

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
10  Trout Giggles    5 years ago

I hope Reba's prospects are positive, Kavika. Thanks for the story

Kavika
Professor Principal
10.1  author  Kavika   replied to  Trout Giggles @10    5 years ago

Thanks Trout, fingers crossed for her. 

1stwarrior
Professor Participates
12  1stwarrior    5 years ago

Just a "Hmmm" here.

Looking at poor Reba, you can see the trauma still remaining in her mind - her sad face and eyes and gingerness at being with others.

Just a thought, 'cause I know you and Red have her well in hand.

Kavika
Professor Principal
12.1  author  Kavika   replied to  1stwarrior @12    5 years ago

Oh yeah, the poor girl has had a lot of trauma...It's really hard for her with part of her face paralyzed as well. 

What ever the outcome of trip to the vet for tests she will be well taken care of for the rest of her life. No more trauma for her. 

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
13  Raven Wing    5 years ago

Thank you for sharing Reba's story Kavika. Having read your story of how you and Red found and adopted Annie years ago it is not surprising that you have taken Reba into your heart as well. 

It is heartbreaking to see how human can be so cruel and inhumane to animals who are only wanting love. It reminds me of an old proverb;

Kavika
Professor Principal
13.1  author  Kavika   replied to  Raven Wing @13    5 years ago

Thanks RW. 

What a perfect quote, I love it. 

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
13.2  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Raven Wing @13    5 years ago

So true!

Kavika
Professor Principal
14  author  Kavika     5 years ago

I received a phone call this evening updating me on Reba...

NO cancer was shown in her blood work .

1. She is anemic 

2. Values in her kidney and liver are elevated......

3. She has chronic inflammation

4. What we thought was a stroke wasn't. Xrays and physical exam showed that the paralysis in on the right side of her face is from trauma. In other word from a beating to her head. 

She is being held overnight at the UoF veterinary hospital and tomorrow they will do a Cat Scan and a take a biopsy of the growth in her throat. 

So it's kinda good news but we'll have to see what the CT and biopsy show tomorrow. 

This little girl has had a very hard life and now with the confirmation of trauma to her head we know that her life has been horrible. 

Let's hope for more good news tomorrow.  

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
14.1  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Kavika @14    5 years ago

Well, hopefully, what she has is a very large polyp, benign tumor or infection in her throat and not cancer. The blood work not showing cancer is very encouraging. 

Fingers crossed till tomorrow.

Kavika
Professor Principal
14.1.1  author  Kavika   replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @14.1    5 years ago
Well, hopefully, what she has is a very large polyp, benign tumor or infection in her throat and not cancer. The blood work not showing cancer is very encouraging. 

Indeed, the blood work was very encouraging. Hopefully tomorrow will bring more good news. 

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
14.1.2  Trout Giggles  replied to  Kavika @14.1.1    5 years ago

Sounds to me like Baby Girl needs some veterinary care and some good old fashioned TLC which I know you have plenty to give. :)

Kavika
Professor Principal
14.1.3  author  Kavika   replied to  Trout Giggles @14.1.2    5 years ago

The University of Florida vet school is one of the best in the country, Trout. Hopefully today will be more good news...

You bet, that sweet girl will get all the TLC she can handle. 

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
14.2  Raven Wing  replied to  Kavika @14    5 years ago

Please keep us updated on Reba's CT and Biopsy results. We have taken her into our hearts as well, so she is now one of us.

Kavika
Professor Principal
14.2.1  author  Kavika   replied to  Raven Wing @14.2    5 years ago
Please keep us updated on Reba's CT and Biopsy results

I certainly will RW....It's very nice to know that there are so many members on NT that rooting for her. 

pat wilson
Professor Participates
14.3  pat wilson  replied to  Kavika @14    5 years ago

You're the best thing that ever happened to Reba.

Is she a country singer ?

Kavika
Professor Principal
14.3.1  author  Kavika   replied to  pat wilson @14.3    5 years ago
You're the best thing that ever happened to Reba. Is she a country singer ?

Thanks pat. She took a piece of my heart. 

LOL, I don't think so but she tries at times with her strange bark. 

1stwarrior
Professor Participates
14.4  1stwarrior  replied to  Kavika @14    5 years ago

Gads - if only one could get their hands on the azzwipes who treated her that way - damn.

As the ol' saying goes, the more I know people, the more I love my animals.

Kavika
Professor Principal
14.4.1  author  Kavika   replied to  1stwarrior @14.4    5 years ago
Gads - if only one could get their hands on the azzwipes who treated her that way - damn.

Oh yeah, a good old hickory ax handle would give them a new outlook on life...Real assholes. 

In the photo below you can see the damage they did. Her eye and the right side of her face shows it well...Sadly.

1stwarrior
Professor Participates
14.4.2  1stwarrior  replied to  Kavika @14.4.1    5 years ago

Are there any chances that, after she is treated, the trauma damage will start going away?

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
14.4.3  sandy-2021492  replied to  1stwarrior @14.4.2    5 years ago

I'd think it would depend on how much and what kind of nerve damage there is.  If the trauma wasn't too severe - nerves weren't actually severed, for example, the nerves can sometimes recover to some degree.  If it happened recently, it may just not have had time to heal.

Kavika
Professor Principal
14.4.4  author  Kavika   replied to  1stwarrior @14.4.2    5 years ago

I'm not sure 1st....As sandy said above it's possible, depending on the type of damage done to her. 

Kavika
Professor Principal
15  author  Kavika     5 years ago

This is a photo of Reba taken this morning before she was taken to Gainesville. 

She wears the coat because she is underweight and gets chilled very easily. It's purple and black..Kinda cute. 

KatPen
Freshman Silent
16  KatPen    5 years ago

What big hearts you and your wife have!  So glad Reba has been shown a lot of love lately.  She surely deserves it and needs it.  Best of luck with the tests tomorrow at UF.  

Kavika
Professor Principal
16.1  author  Kavika   replied to  KatPen @16    5 years ago

Thanks Kat. Fingers crossed for the best. 

shona1
PhD Quiet
16.1.1  shona1  replied to  Kavika @16.1    5 years ago

Evening Kavika...Slow and steady as you go...A few things crossed off the list but others yet to be confronted...Who knows, but maybe Annie has had a paw in this, why your paths crossed...and it is all meant to be...It is night here the stars are out, and all is still..Hopefully when I get up tomorrow morning the results are in and it is good news...Pats and hugs to Reba from across the Pacific...jrSmiley_95_smiley_image.png

Kavika
Professor Principal
16.1.2  author  Kavika   replied to  shona1 @16.1.1    5 years ago

Perhaps Annie does have a paw in this. Hopefully today will bring more good news. 

Fingers crossed. 

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
16.1.3  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Kavika @16.1.2    5 years ago

Hoping for the best.  

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
17  sandy-2021492    5 years ago

I hope you get some good news about Reba, and that she can live out the rest of her years going for walks, eating the occasional cheeseburger, and falling asleep while having her head rubbed.

Kavika
Professor Principal
18  author  Kavika     5 years ago

Thanks sandy, hoping for the best. 

Kavika
Professor Principal
19  author  Kavika     5 years ago

Second update on Reba. 

The Cat Scan and biopsy were done today...The cat scan shows a large growth in the throat area but there is very very little blood flowing to it. That is a good thing, so it could be a benign growth of sorts. The biopsy results will be back in 7 to 10 days. 

The kidneys are a concern but it was discovered that she has a bad urinary tract infection. It will take 3 days to get the results, they need three days for the culture to develop so that can be certain to give her the correct meds for it. This may help with many of the problems she is having. EG inflamation, liver and kidney elevated results...

More good news.... Still keeping fingers crossed. 

shona1
PhD Quiet
19.1  shona1  replied to  Kavika @19    5 years ago

A/noon..That is good news..fingers crossed for the days to come..Yes urine infections can cause them to be extremely miserable and often you will notice a big difference in 24 hours with antibiotics....The both of you are doing so wonderfully well getting to the bottom of all of Reba's aliments...she really has landed on her paws with you two....If only there were more people in this world that care and look after animals..then it truly would be a "wonderful world"....jrSmiley_95_smiley_image.png

Kavika
Professor Principal
19.1.1  author  Kavika   replied to  shona1 @19.1    5 years ago

We have to give a lot of credit to VOCAL and the people there. They are doing wonders for Reba and all the dogs that they rescue, Shona. 

I'll keep everyone updated on the results of the tests....Next one will be late Monday or Tuesday re the urinary infection.

shona1
PhD Quiet
19.1.2  shona1  replied to  Kavika @19.1.1    5 years ago

Yes that is true and there are many good people in animal rescue...But sometimes when you go above and beyond the norm and you have both done that, it can make all the difference in the world to Reba.....Big pats and hugs for Reba...My Collie sends lot of licks as well.....

Kavika
Professor Principal
19.1.3  author  Kavika   replied to  shona1 @19.1.2    5 years ago

Thanks Shona...Reba really has found her way into our hearts...

I'm sure that Reba loves the pats, hugs and licks....jrSmiley_2_smiley_image.png

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
19.2  Raven Wing  replied to  Kavika @19    5 years ago
More good news.... Still keeping fingers crossed.

Great to hear that Reba is doing better than we thought. Hopefully, the rest of the results will be favorable.

Thanks for keeping us posted about Reba. She has found a place in my heart as well. (smile)

Kavika
Professor Principal
20  author  Kavika     5 years ago
She has found a place in my heart as well. (smile)

Thanks for that RW....

Kavika
Professor Principal
21  author  Kavika     5 years ago

NEW UPDATE ON REBA...

THE INFECTION HAS BEEN IDENTIFIED AND SHE STARTED ON MEDICATION THAT SHE WILL BE TAKING FOR 10 DAYS AND THEN RETESTED TO SEE IF IT CLEARED UP THE INFECTION. 

IT WILL BE ANOTHER WEEK OR SO BEFORE THE RESULTS OF THE BIOPSY OF HER THROAT WILL BE BACK. 

WE ARE MOVING FORWARD IN GETTING HER BACK TO HEALTH.  

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
21.1  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Kavika @21    5 years ago

A positive update.

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
21.2  Raven Wing  replied to  Kavika @21    5 years ago

Good news! What we have been hoping for. Hopefully, the throat biopsy will also be good news. Perhaps the best medicine is in raising her spirits and renewed interest in life itself. The memory of the inhumane abuse she has endured may never fully leave her, but, with lots of loving care perhaps it can be put in a corner of her memory that won't be felt as strongly. 

Yoda Girl and I are sending our prayers and love her way.

Kavika
Professor Principal
21.2.1  author  Kavika   replied to  Raven Wing @21.2    5 years ago
Yoda Girl and I are sending our prayers and love her way.

Thanks RW...She needs all the prayers she can get.

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
21.3  Bob Nelson  replied to  Kavika @21    5 years ago
WE ARE MOVING FORWARD

Yay!!

Kavika
Professor Principal
21.3.1  author  Kavika   replied to  Bob Nelson @21.3    5 years ago

We should be getting the results of the biopsy early this coming week...

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
21.3.2  Bob Nelson  replied to  Kavika @21.3.1    5 years ago

Best of luck!

shona1
PhD Quiet
22  shona1    5 years ago

Evening...Excellent....We have our fingers and paws crossed for continual good news from across the Pacific......jrSmiley_95_smiley_image.png

Kavika
Professor Principal
22.1  author  Kavika   replied to  shona1 @22    5 years ago

Thanks Shona. One small step at a time.

KatPen
Freshman Silent
23  KatPen    5 years ago

Glad they found the type of infection, and meds have been started.  Progress!  Pats on the head  for Reba!

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
24  Perrie Halpern R.A.    5 years ago

Wonderful news Kavika. Let's hope her throat comes back with good news

Kavika
Professor Principal
24.1  author  Kavika   replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @24    5 years ago

Finger crossed sister.

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
26  Bob Nelson    5 years ago

Excellent article, K.

Your emotions are clear, and overwhelming.

Kavika
Professor Principal
27  author  Kavika     5 years ago
Excellent article, K. Your emotions are clear, and overwhelming.

Thanks Bob...This poor girl has had a horrible life until the last 8 weeks or so. Eight years of being used as a breeder and beaten so bad that part of her face is paralyzed.  Yet she is a gentle as a lamb with people...Hopefully the throat issue isn't cancer so she can live a longer life knowing the kindness that people can give. Not just the assholes of the world that she had to deal with before.

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
27.1  Bob Nelson  replied to  Kavika @27    5 years ago

She is an example of all that we love in our furry companions. And your efforts to make her life better are exemplary.

lady in black
Professor Quiet
27.2  lady in black  replied to  Kavika @27    5 years ago

That is so sad, why the hell did they beat her?  I hope for the best for Reba 

Kavika
Professor Principal
27.2.1  author  Kavika   replied to  lady in black @27.2    5 years ago
why the hell did they beat her

I  have  no idea lady, but when dealing with POS they don't need a reason. 

She is now being cared for with a lot of love and good medical attention...Hopefully everything will turn out good for her. 

Ender
Professor Principal
28  Ender    5 years ago

Aww. Poor girl. Her life is a thousand times better now.

I had a pitbull years ago. He was the friendliest dog I have ever had. I always said that if anyone tried to rob my house, he would have greeted them at the door, wagging his butt, and welcomed them in.

arkpdx
Professor Quiet
28.1  arkpdx  replied to  Ender @28    5 years ago

When I was still working I used to go into many homes with pit bulls in them and never once felt threatened by the dogs. In fact it was quite the opposite with most of them being some of friendliest and most general dogs I met. I chihuahuas and dachshunds were the worst. 

Kavika
Professor Principal
28.1.1  author  Kavika   replied to  arkpdx @28.1    5 years ago

I agree except for the part about doxies...I have a 11 year old mini doxie named Wiki and she is friendly as can be. Just loves people...LOL

Ender
Professor Principal
28.1.2  Ender  replied to  arkpdx @28.1    5 years ago

I have seen some mean little ankle biters.

Kavika
Professor Principal
28.1.3  author  Kavika   replied to  Ender @28.1.2    5 years ago

Does this look like a mean little ankle biter...LMAO. Meet, Wiki Warrior Wonder Wiener.

lady in black
Professor Quiet
28.1.4  lady in black  replied to  Kavika @28.1.3    5 years ago

I love this picture!

Kavika
Professor Principal
28.1.5  author  Kavika   replied to  lady in black @28.1.4    5 years ago

Thanks lady, she is a cool dog and funny as heck.

arkpdx
Professor Quiet
28.1.6  arkpdx  replied to  Kavika @28.1.1    5 years ago

That is true of most of them but in 30 years the only dog that ever bit me (actually it bit the steel toe part of my steel toed boot) was a weenie dog. To be fair it was a rescue that was badly abused and would even sometimes try to bite its new owners who loved and cared for him anyway. 

Kavika
Professor Principal
28.1.7  author  Kavika   replied to  arkpdx @28.1.6    5 years ago

Sadly arkpdx so many dogs are badly abused and they are only protecting themselves from more pain. 

arkpdx
Professor Quiet
28.1.8  arkpdx  replied to  arkpdx @28.1.6    5 years ago

The only other "problem" dog I ran into was a deaf Jack Russel terrier that jumped up on my lap and promptly peed all over me. 

Kavika
Professor Principal
28.1.9  author  Kavika   replied to  arkpdx @28.1.8    5 years ago
The only other "problem" dog I ran into was a deaf Jack Russel terrier that jumped up on my lap and promptly peed all over me. 

LOLOLOL, that was just a ''howdy, do you have treats''. Seems that you didn't, thus the pee....

Kavika
Professor Principal
28.2  author  Kavika   replied to  Ender @28    5 years ago
Aww. Poor girl. Her life is a thousand times better now.

It sure is Ender. I had two pit bulls, sisters, Brandy and Puki for 14 years. When we had to put down Puki, a few months later we had to put down Brandy. That was really really difficult. You are correct they have a horrible rep, but are very gentle dogs. Mine would protect the family and the house though.

Ender
Professor Principal
28.2.1  Ender  replied to  Kavika @28.2    5 years ago

Hoping for more good news. Sounds like she deserves it.

My pit was found as a small puppy at a rural gas station. Wandering around, either lost or dropped off. They had chopped his tail off but they did it to short. It always bugged him.

As far as protecting the house, no. He never met a stranger.

arkpdx
Professor Quiet
29  arkpdx    5 years ago

I hope everything turns out positive for Reba. 

I would volunteer at a shelter near me except for two things. I have no place to leave my two dogs that both have severe separation anxiety and I would want to take all the other dogs home. 

Kavika
Professor Principal
29.1  author  Kavika   replied to  arkpdx @29    5 years ago
I would want to take all the other dogs home. 

I know that feeling well arkpdx...I do as well, but reality sets in and the best for Reba at this time is to just be her companion at the shelter until we get all the medical problems solved. 

shona1
PhD Quiet
29.2  shona1  replied to  arkpdx @29    5 years ago

A/noon Ark..Yes I have that same problem as well..But I get around it by ringing the shelter at Christmas time or when ever and ask do they need anything??? I refuse to give money to the huge organisations but food, toys, towels, blankets etc are always on the list..So I allocate a certain amount for dogs and the same amount to be spent on cats and go shopping....I love both and have a dog and cat...That way you are helping but not there physically...I know it would break my heart if I was there...Or if you hear of people who look after wildlife or abused animals in their own homes I quietly seek them out...I will give them money because I really don't care what they spend it on..they get no Government help here and pay for everything out of their own pockets...That is the best I can do and manage otherwise, I would have a house full of animals...but sometimes I think that would not be such a bad thing....jrSmiley_95_smiley_image.png jrSmiley_94_smiley_image.png

arkpdx
Professor Quiet
29.2.1  arkpdx  replied to  shona1 @29.2    5 years ago

Both my dogs are rescues. Waldo D. Bassett (my avatar) was listed for free on craigslist.l fell in love with his name and his picture and made sure he was mine. Miss Molly is a mixed breed terrierist that I got at the county shelter. I don't usually go for terriers but she quickly won my heart. (I have tried to post her picture but can't quite figure out how even with help). She is my baby and my heart dog. 

It was hard to leave the pound with only her and I could easily become the loony old man living in the back of a schoolboys with 300 dogs. 

Kavika
Professor Principal
30  author  Kavika     5 years ago

In addition to being a volunteer for neglected animals I write short stories and have published a few about dogs here on NT...One of my favorites is ''Old Dog''..Of course it would be one of my favorites, I wrote it...LOL

arkpdx
Professor Quiet
31  arkpdx    5 years ago

Waldo says that he is willing to up his production of Basset Hound drool to send to Reba if you think it would help. I He tells me Basset drool has magical healing powers 

Kavika
Professor Principal
31.1  author  Kavika   replied to  arkpdx @31    5 years ago
Basset drool has magical healing powers 

I'm sure that it does and especially if it's Waldo's...jrSmiley_2_smiley_image.png

Kavika
Professor Principal
32  author  Kavika     5 years ago

Results of the biopsy from her throat  came back and it's a benign. They are only going to keep their eye on it since she is dealing with other health issues. Once those are cured they will re asses it to see if it requires surgery. 

It isn't bothering her now and the other medical issues need to be cured first. 

GOOD NEWS AND THANK YOU ALL FOR PULLING FOR OUR REBA...NT'S NEW MASCOT.

330-px-24394147-Reba-BullTerrier-Female-

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
32.1  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Kavika @32    5 years ago

Wonderful news Kavika! I am so happy that she will get to live out the rest of her life, and possibly with a nice family!

Kavika
Professor Principal
32.1.1  author  Kavika   replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @32.1    5 years ago

It is great new and she even looks happier now...

1stwarrior
Professor Participates
32.1.2  1stwarrior  replied to  Kavika @32.1.1    5 years ago

That's because Wiki was licking her paws during the picture.

Ender
Professor Principal
32.2  Ender  replied to  Kavika @32    5 years ago

She actually looks like she has gotten a little hope.

Great news. If anything the surgery may help her to breath a lot better.

Kavika
Professor Principal
32.2.1  author  Kavika   replied to  Ender @32.2    5 years ago
She actually looks like she has gotten a little hope.

It does look that way. In the past month or so she has started to come out of her shell....

We'll have to wait until all the other medical problems she has are handled and then look to what options are available for her throat and possibility an operation. 

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
32.3  Raven Wing  replied to  Kavika @32    5 years ago

Great news, Kavika! Our Reba finally gets a good break!!

Hopefully, Reba will now see more improvement in her other health issues and will soon be able to put that part of her life behind her. While her past may never fully leave her memory in her lifetime, my prayers are that she can put them in a small pocket of her memory and enjoy the love and kindness that she is being given in her present life and moving forward. She more than deserves it. jrSmiley_15_smiley_image.gif  

Kavika
Professor Principal
32.3.1  author  Kavika   replied to  Raven Wing @32.3    5 years ago
She more than deserves it.

She sure does RW....The sweet girl has had a rough life but now it's on to bigger and better things for her. 

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
32.4  Bob Nelson  replied to  Kavika @32    5 years ago

jrSmiley_81_smiley_image.gif

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
32.5  sandy-2021492  replied to  Kavika @32    5 years ago

I think her face is looking more symmetrical.  And her eyes - they look like the eyes of a pup who trusts and is content.  I hope she can recover and have a happy life.

Kavika
Professor Principal
32.5.1  author  Kavika   replied to  sandy-2021492 @32.5    5 years ago
I hope she can recover and have a happy life.

She is on her way to recovery. It may take some time but I have lot's of time for her. A definitely she'll have a happy life.

She looks a bit better every day. The med's seem to be helping with the inflammation and infections, sandy. 

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
32.5.2  sandy-2021492  replied to  Kavika @32.5.1    5 years ago

That's wonderful news.  Belly rubs and cheeseburgers to Reba.

Kavika
Professor Principal
32.5.3  author  Kavika   replied to  sandy-2021492 @32.5.2    5 years ago
Belly rubs and cheeseburgers to Reba.

She loves both, and has added scrambled eggs to her daily wish list. 

dave-2693993
Junior Quiet
32.6  dave-2693993  replied to  Kavika @32    5 years ago

Great news Kavika,

Thank you for that update.

KatPen
Freshman Silent
33  KatPen    5 years ago

Excellent news!  And best wishes for the rest of her health issues to be solved quickly!   

Kavika
Professor Principal
33.1  author  Kavika   replied to  KatPen @33    5 years ago

Thanks Kat....hopefully she'll be a fit girl soon.

arkpdx
Professor Quiet
33.1.1  arkpdx  replied to  Kavika @33.1    5 years ago

Waldo says it was the virtual basset drool he sent to her. I he says it is not as good as real drool but still works. I he says to give her a shooter kiss and a hug and a courteous butt sniff for him. 

Kavika
Professor Principal
33.1.2  author  Kavika   replied to  arkpdx @33.1.1    5 years ago
I he says to give her a shooter kiss and a hug and a courteous butt sniff for him. 

I'll do all of the above except the butt sniff....LOLOL....Thanks to Waldo for all his help (drool).

shona1
PhD Quiet
34  shona1    5 years ago

Morning....Well some fantastic news..this has brightened my day immensely...The photo of Reba is one of "I now know I am wanted and loved...and will soon have these humans wrapped around my claw"....There is a definite change in her face she is almost beaming....After all the pain and darkness down here over the last few days..Reba truly is a beacon of light and hope..Well done Reba and well done to you Kavika, Mrs Kavika and Wiki...When I showed Shona Wiki's picture..Shona looked at me as if to say "that's a funny looking cat"!!! Big hugs and pats all round....A truly wonderful outcome....And Shona sends lots of Aussie Collie licks for Reba...jrSmiley_95_smiley_image.png jrSmiley_93_smiley_image.jpg

Kavika
Professor Principal
35  author  Kavika     5 years ago

She is definitely wanted and loved now, Shona..She does have a different look on her face, a wonderful change from just a few weeks ago.

And Shona sends lots of Aussie Collie licks for Reba... jrSmiley_95_smiley_image.png jrSmiley_93_smiley_image.jpg

And Reba gladly accepts them...

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
36  Buzz of the Orient    5 years ago

I think the big question now is that if Reba and Wiki get along together, are you going to adopt her?  I have heard that certain communities ban pit bulls, so you might check that out first if your intentions are to be stepparents to NT's new mascot. Seems to me you've already assumed the position of godfather, so is this a deal that cannot be refused?  (I thought Wiki was already our mascot - so what's HER opinion of all this?)

Kavika
Professor Principal
36.1  author  Kavika   replied to  Buzz of the Orient @36    5 years ago

Our community accept Pits Bulls and I've raised them in the past. Not sure if we will adopt Reba. At our age adding another full time dog will be a trial and she doesn't have a big yard to run in here but there is a nice dog part in the community. 

Wiki is very understanding. She just wants Reba to get well...jrSmiley_2_smiley_image.png

Everyone on NT has taken to Reba as you can see by the comments. Although Wiki is the NT mascot she said she is willing to share that title if it helps Reba. 

charger 383
Professor Silent
37  charger 383    5 years ago

very happy for Reba

Kavika
Professor Principal
37.1  author  Kavika   replied to  charger 383 @37    5 years ago

Thanks Charger.

JBB
Professor Principal
38  JBB    5 years ago

I am pulling for everyone involved....

Kavika
Professor Principal
38.1  author  Kavika   replied to  JBB @38    5 years ago

thanks jbb

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
39  Perrie Halpern R.A.    5 years ago

Good to see her making such great progress. I hope she gets to a point where she can get a forever home. 

Kavika
Professor Principal
39.1  author  Kavika   replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @39    5 years ago

THE UPDATE INFORMATION ON REBA IS AT THE END OF THE ARTICLE .

Kavika
Professor Principal
39.2  author  Kavika   replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @39    5 years ago
I hope she gets to a point where she can get a forever home. 

I do as well Perrie. Her medical bills are around $3000.00 thus far but the shelter, VOCAL, it raising money to help with her expenses. 

Last Saturday we had a ''yard sale'' at VOCAL, all things donated by volunteers and we raised $980.00 to help with her medical bills. 

Kavika
Professor Principal
39.2.2  author  Kavika   replied to  XDm9mm @39.2.1    5 years ago
I'm sure the vets working with Reba are great, but if they haven't heard of Septra DS, it might be worth mentioning.   It's a pretty potent antibacterial sufla based drug.   The bad thing is it kills off the good bugs too.

Good info 9mm...I'll check and see if the vets are aware of that drug. 

Oh yeah the probiotics are excellent for for her and she has been taking them.

Me thinks she nor you know it yet, but she already has her 'forever home' waiting in one "Kavika".

LOL, that is probably a possibility.

TTGA
Professor Silent
40  TTGA    5 years ago

Far Out.  She's getting a great life, and you get to enjoy her company too.  Any chance that you and Red might end up adopting her?

Kavika
Professor Principal
40.1  author  Kavika   replied to  TTGA @40    5 years ago

There is a chance TTGA. She has really mellowed out. At first she would fence fight with other dogs in the shelter. Now she just walks by them without a second thought. 

There are still going to be a lot of medical bills and hopefully she'll recover fully. I've ask a dog trainer that volunteers at VOCAL 2 days a week if she would work with Reba when the medical issues were resolved. I would pay her to do that. She said without a doubt that she would work with Reba.

We'll wait and see how it goes TTGA. 

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
41  Raven Wing    5 years ago

Thank you for the much anticipated update on Reba, Kavika. I have been worried about her. I am sad to hear that she has now become immune to the antibiotics she has been on, and hope that the new ones will finally do the job. 

That she has found such joy in playing with her toys and is finding such happiness with them is great news. She is now finding the kindness and care she so truly deserves.

And the look in her eyes no longer express the loneliness, pain and suffering she has had to endure for so long. (smile) 

Kavika
Professor Principal
41.1  author  Kavika   replied to  Raven Wing @41    5 years ago

Your right RW...She has changed so much over the past couple of months. She still has that lopsided smile from the trauma to her head but she is just a real sweetie. 

She is really a lovely dog she is so gentle when I give her a treat. She takes it out of my hand and you can hardly tell that she it taking it. 

I bring her scrambled eggs 4 or 5 times a week (lots of protein) and does she love that...LOLOL. She sits there waiting for me to put her dish on the floor and can hardly control herself...LOLOL..Yet she'll wait till I tell her ok and pet her on the head before she will dive into the eggs. 

pat wilson
Professor Participates
42  pat wilson    5 years ago

She sure looks a lot happier.

Kavika
Professor Principal
42.1  author  Kavika   replied to  pat wilson @42    5 years ago
She sure looks a lot happier.

She does and is a lot happier..The new antibiotics are very powerful so her energy level will probably be affected. Hopefully this time around it will kill off whats left of the bug. 

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
43  sandy-2021492    5 years ago

A dog who's never had a squeaky toy?!  I'm glad you rectified that situation!

Kavika
Professor Principal
43.1  author  Kavika   replied to  sandy-2021492 @43    5 years ago

She is absolutely over the moon with her new squeaky toys...LOL

You can see from the photos that she keeps them between her front legs and rests her head on them. There is not problem for me to take one and toss it, she loves that and pounces on it and brings it back and lays down with it between her legs. Than we do it all over again...LOL

charger 383
Professor Silent
44  charger 383    5 years ago

Thank you for helping Reba, what you are doing is great. Hope she can recover and enjoy life

Kavika
Professor Principal
44.1  author  Kavika   replied to  charger 383 @44    5 years ago
Thank you for helping Reba, what you are doing is great. Hope she can recover and enjoy life

You know charger, I am enjoying it as much as Reba is...We've become kind of a team...

dave-2693993
Junior Quiet
45  dave-2693993    5 years ago

Great update.

Hoping for the best Kavika.

Kavika
Professor Principal
45.1  author  Kavika   replied to  dave-2693993 @45    5 years ago

Thanks dave.

charger 383
Professor Silent
46  charger 383    5 years ago

That's the great thing about dogs

I did get a new puppy Baily J, a Black Lab Great Dane mix, a happy, friendly, over energetic pup that gets into everything and will be taken good care of.      

Kavika
Professor Principal
46.1  author  Kavika   replied to  charger 383 @46    5 years ago
I did get a new puppy Baily J, a Black Lab Great Dane mix, a happy, friendly, over energetic pup that gets into everything and will be taken good care of.

I remember an earlier conservation when you were looking for a GD/Lab mix...You found one, that's just great. Kudos.

charger 383
Professor Silent
46.1.1  charger 383  replied to  Kavika @46.1    5 years ago

she was a rescue and all pups in the litter went to good homes with people who wanted them 

Kavika
Professor Principal
46.1.2  author  Kavika   replied to  charger 383 @46.1.1    5 years ago
she was a rescue and all pups in the litter went to good homes with people who wanted them 

A rescue, double kudos to you charger. 

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
46.2  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  charger 383 @46    5 years ago

We named our dog Bailey, after Bailey's Irish Cream, because she was that colour - a Soft-Coated Wheaton Terrier.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
47  Buzz of the Orient    5 years ago

Glad to see continuing recovery. Seems to me, Kavika, that you're going to have trouble giving Reba up since you and she are bonding. 

Kavika
Professor Principal
48  author  Kavika     5 years ago
Glad to see continuing recovery. Seems to me, Kavika, that you're going to have trouble giving Reba up since you and she are bonding. 

That is possible Buzz.

Kavika
Professor Principal
49  author  Kavika     5 years ago
UPDATE AS OF SEPTEMBER 7, 2019.
Hi everyone, it's me Reba. It's been over four months since the last update so I'll do my best to get you caught up with my life. 
All the medication worked on me and it killed off all the parasites and cured my UTI...I felt much better and starting learning what being a dog is all about. Running, playing, rolling in the grass, eating good food, having toys to play with and most of all someone that really cares for me...My ''Shelter Buddy'' comes to visit me every day for a long time. We take walks and he takes my lease off and lets me run free...Wow, is that fun. 
We also go for car rides and sometimes we stop at MacDonald's for a cheeseburger. I really love it when we do that. I hang my head out the window when we go through the drive-through window and I think that I scared the lady at the window the first time she saw me. I have a big head and part of my face is paralyzed. But after that first time, she talks to me and reaches out her window and pets me..
In the past few months, I got a couple of UTI's but my buddy took me to the vet right away and I got some meds and felt better in a couple of days. 
I've been having a really good time but then my buddy went on vacation and I didn't see him for a week. Something happened in that week because when he came back I wasn't feeling very well...My tummy was upset and I didn't feel like eating much. Then I started throwing up and having to pee a lot. I'm a very good girl and never pee in my kennel but a couple of times I just couldn't hold it and I had an accident. 
My buddy took me for walks but I really didn't feel like walking much and when he took me to MacDonalds for a cheeseburger I didn't want to eat it cuz I don't feel good. 
I thought I was getting thinner but I don't know how to use a scale so it was just a guess. 
I was spending more and more time just laying around. I know that my buddy was getting worried so he took me to the vet a couple of days ago. I get really scared when I have to go to the vet but my buddy stays with me and that helps me stay calm...I'm a big old pit bull but we get scared too. Especially since I've never had a home and was abused a lot until the last six months. But Vocal and my buddy have changed my life so much.
Anyhow, after a couple of days my buddy sat down and talked to me. He doesn't think that I understand him, but us dogs are pretty smart and I know what he is saying to me.

He said that the vet found that my kidneys are not working and are in failure. That is causing all the problems that I'm having now. He said that there isn't much that can be done and my kidneys are just going to quit working soon. 

He also said that I had lost 10% of my body weight, about five pounds. So I guess I was right about the weight loss.

Then he said that my body was shutting down. I'm not sure what that really means but I think it's not good.

Anyhow, we went for a walk today, a very slow walk cuz I don't have much energy. Then we sat in the shaded area and I laid down in the sand, and he petted me until I fell asleep. After a while, he woke me and we went back inside to my kennel and I laid down and fell asleep again. 
I dream good dreams now that I'm safe and have friends. I hope that I have lots more good dreams cuz my life is so much better, but I think that I'm not going to be with my best buddy much longer. Us dogs know these kinds of things.

Here are some photos of me after I got well. I'm having so much fun. 

This is me rolling in the grass. I never did that before but I discovered what fun it is.

This is me in the car with my buddy at MacDonalds having a cheeseburger.

I've also learned to be around other dogs without fighting. I was scared from being on the street for so long and I had to fight to survive. I don't have to do that anymore. I walk really good on a leash too...I'm really proud of myself.

I'm very tired so I'll have to sign off now. I hope that my buddy comes to visit me tomorrow, I really love that and maybe we can take a car ride. That would be fun cuz I can sit in the back seat and stick my head out the window. 

Now sure how many more car trips I will be able to take, it's getting harder and harder to get around...Now my buddy has to lift me into the car. He never had to do that before, I could just jump right in. 

Bye for now, maybe in a few more days I can talk to all of you again. 

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
49.1  Raven Wing  replied to  Kavika @49    5 years ago

Thank you for the update in Reba. It is truly heartbreaking that life is now winding down again for Reba with her body slowly shutting down. 

But....thanks to those who came to her rescue, and came to love and care for her, she has had the chance to experience the kind of life she should have had. 

I look forward to hearing more from Reba soon. 

Kavika
Professor Principal
49.1.1  author  Kavika   replied to  Raven Wing @49.1    5 years ago

It's sad, but the one thing that all of us at Vocal can say is that Reba's life the last six months is the best quality of life she has ever had.

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
49.1.2  Raven Wing  replied to  Kavika @49.1.1    5 years ago
Reba's life the last six months is the best quality of life she has ever had.

That she had that is a blessing for her, to know, at least for a short time, what living is really all about, and more than she might otherwise have had if not for those who care so much for all the Creator's creatures here on Mother Earth. 

Thank you for being her Buddy, the one she could depend on to help make her life all that it could be, even for a short time. And that the folks at Vocal who have helped make it possible for her to find unconditional love and happiness she so very much deserved. 

She will not be forgotten. And I think there should be a special place for her in the NT Dog Group, as she has become a part of our NT Family.

GregTx
PhD Guide
49.2  GregTx  replied to  Kavika @49    5 years ago

Damn, Kavika......just damn. I admire your efforts. Much respect.

Kavika
Professor Principal
49.2.1  author  Kavika   replied to  GregTx @49.2    5 years ago

Thanks GregTx. 

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
50  sandy-2021492    5 years ago

Oh, Reba.  You deserved a better life than you've had.  You deserved better humans than you had, before you met Kavika and your other new friends.  In the time you have left, I hope you can enjoy rolling in the grass, and car rides, and walks, and ear scratches, and cheeseburgers.  Make the most of your time on this side of the Rainbow Bridge, and know that you now have the love you always should have had.

Kavika
Professor Principal
50.1  author  Kavika   replied to  sandy-2021492 @50    5 years ago
Make the most of your time on this side of the Rainbow Bridge, and know that you now have the love you always should have had.

She will have love and a lot of people around her so she feels safe.

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
50.1.1  sandy-2021492  replied to  Kavika @50.1    5 years ago

I wish her a gentle crossing, and you and Red peace as you say goodbye.

Dean Moriarty
Professor Quiet
51  Dean Moriarty    5 years ago

I wish you guys the best of luck in her final days. I wish more could be done to help her. 

Kavika
Professor Principal
51.1  author  Kavika   replied to  Dean Moriarty @51    5 years ago

Thanks Dean. The vet said they could extend her life with some meds but the quality of that life would be poor. She's suffered enough so it's time to let her go.

MrFrost
Professor Expert
52  MrFrost    5 years ago

Reba deserved so much more out of life, good that she found love. Wishing you all the best.... Now where is than box of kleenex. 

Kavika
Professor Principal
52.1  author  Kavika   replied to  MrFrost @52    5 years ago

At least MrFrost the last six months have been the best of life for her...Just too damn short.

MrFrost
Professor Expert
52.1.1  MrFrost  replied to  Kavika @52.1    5 years ago

It's always too short, a lesson I learned recently with Squeaker. 

dave-2693993
Junior Quiet
53  dave-2693993    5 years ago

Kavika, you and Red are good people.

Reba is a good dog. Best of sweet dreams.

Kavika
Professor Principal
53.1  author  Kavika   replied to  dave-2693993 @53    5 years ago

Thanks dave, she sure deserves as many sweet dreams as possible.

devangelical
Professor Principal
54  devangelical    5 years ago

people that mistreat animals boil my blood and I hope and pray their place in hell is filled with demons that treat them the same way for eternity.

Kavika
Professor Principal
54.1  author  Kavika   replied to  devangelical @54    5 years ago

I totally agree with you.

Some of the rescues that we take in show the worst of humanity. We are able to save the most, but a few, like Reba, have had too much damage done to them.

At least her last six months have been the best for her. 

devangelical
Professor Principal
54.1.1  devangelical  replied to  Kavika @54.1    5 years ago
At least her last six months have been the best for her. 

... because of you and the mrs., and others like you. I truly admire your efforts to improve the lives of these innocent creatures.

Kavika
Professor Principal
54.1.2  author  Kavika   replied to  devangelical @54.1.1    5 years ago

Thanks devangelical. 

I have always supported groups like American Humane and other groups that help protect animals. It was after I retired that I had the time to devote to these groups. 

What I've found is that working with the groups and animals is very rewarding. Even when at times it's painful (Reba), overall saving so many dogs and cats and getting them to the point that they can be adopted is a true reward for me. 

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
55  Buzz of the Orient    5 years ago

Thankfully Reba at least had some time, too short as it was, of living a good and happy life.  But the story is now becoming sad, and I don't think I'm looking forward to the news that is coming next.

Kavika
Professor Principal
56  author  Kavika     5 years ago

Yes, it is becoming sad, Buzz....The up side is that Reba has at long last experienced a good life. She final days will be comfortable and hopefully she'll have so fun moments....

pat wilson
Professor Participates
57  pat wilson    5 years ago

Thank goodness for people like you two who give love to these critters !

Kavika
Professor Principal
57.1  author  Kavika   replied to  pat wilson @57    5 years ago

Thank you pat. The dogs and cats give a lot of love back to us. 

devangelical
Professor Principal
57.1.1  devangelical  replied to  Kavika @57.1    5 years ago

they teach us unconditional love and how to handle the grief of death when they leave us

KatPen
Freshman Silent
59  KatPen    5 years ago

Heart-felt thanks to you and Red and the VOCAL staff for what you've done for Reba and the care you've given her, and the rest of the animals there.   I'm so glad I got to see Reba yesterday.  What a sweet girl.  

Kavika
Professor Principal
59.1  author  Kavika   replied to  KatPen @59    5 years ago

I sure that Reba enjoyed the time that you spent with her, Kat.

shona1
PhD Quiet
59.1.1  shona1  replied to  Kavika @59.1    5 years ago

Evening Kavika...I agree once the quality of life is slowly going and you know when it has gone it is time to let go..I will be faced with this with my 13 year old Scotch Collie Shona probably sooner rather than later...I was there at the beginning and I will be there at the end for her..It breaks your heart but you know in a second "it is time"...Thank you for what you have done at least she has had a wonderful 6 months with you and Mrs K...If only there were more people like you and Mrs K in the world...it would not be in such a bloody mess...

Kavika
Professor Principal
59.1.2  author  Kavika   replied to  shona1 @59.1.1    5 years ago

Good evening shona, it's so good to hear from you...

It is a tough decision to let Reba go. It's especially hard because of the bond that appeared in such a short time. But her quality of life is heading in the wrong direction and I do not want her to suffer at all. She has suffered for years until the last 6 months and I'm hopeful that those six months in some small way overcome all the bad years. 

Please take care and stay in touch, shona.

shona1
PhD Quiet
59.1.3  shona1  replied to  Kavika @59.1.2    5 years ago

Gidday...All good here just waiting to hear when I have to go to Melbourne and the stem cell collection etc begins...and around mid November will be the "big blast" of chemo and they put my treated cells back in...so a rough road ahead but one I am willing to walk down...so far all the treatments I have had cost nothing, all free...including the next treatment which costs $10,000 a month will also be free.. There is also another treatment Car T cell which is a new one out..Will cost $600,000 our government has just announced will also be free...So our medical system is not to bad...I have no complaints....Give Reba a hug and pat from me...when the times come walk free Reba...the last 6 months of your life is what you should have had....all your life...

Kavika
Professor Principal
59.1.4  author  Kavika   replied to  shona1 @59.1.3    5 years ago

Wishing you all the best in your treatments, shona. Not have to worry about the cost is one of the very best things about medical coverage in Australia. My great grandson costs have exceeded $3 million (aus)....He's now 14 and doing very well.

I'll be sure to give Reba a hug for you, shona.

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
59.1.5  sandy-2021492  replied to  shona1 @59.1.3    5 years ago

I've heard excellent things about Car-T for multiple myeloma.  My cousin is fighting this disease,  and just missed getting in a clinical trial of Car-T.

1stwarrior
Professor Participates
60  1stwarrior    5 years ago

Kav - you and Red are the gifts that keep giving and all of us associated with you should be thanking Creator, Mother Earth and Spirits for allowing us into your lives.

Thank you so much and give Reba an ear rub from us in NM.

Kavika
Professor Principal
60.1  author  Kavika   replied to  1stwarrior @60    5 years ago

Chi miigwetch niijii.