╌>

Girl, 18, hit with manslaughter charge over friend's suicide

Category:  Other

Via:  nona62  •  9 years ago  •  19 comments

Mass. police accuse teen of urging friend to kill himself

Massachusetts prosecutors say a troubled teen took his own life after exchanging texts with a fellow student who egged him on to do it.

Prosecutors from the Bristol County District Attorneys Office said Michelle Carter, 18, encouraged 18-year-old Conrad Roy to kill himself last July. They charged her with involuntary manslaughter Friday, a charge punishable by up to 20 years in prison, MyFoxBoston reported.

Roy drove his truck to K-Mart in Fairhaven, near New Bedford, with a gas generator and took his own life. The cause was carbon monoxide poisoning.

The station cited court papers as alleging that at the K-Mart, Roy got out of his truck and texted Carter. He told her he wasnt sure he should go through with it.

Get back in, she texted back, according to the court papers.

The station said that after Roys death, Carter posted messages on social media saying that she missed him. In September she organized Homers for Conrad, a fundraiser to raise awareness about suicide.

Instead of attempting to assist him or notify school officials, a counselor, a family member, anyone, Miss Carter is alleged to have strongly influenced his decision to take his own life, encouraged him to commit suicide on multiple occasions and guided him through the process, including the engage of activities that ultimately led to his death, Gregg Miliote, a spokesman for the Bristol County DA, told the station.

Carter was released on $2,500 bond and ordered to stay off social media after a court appearance. Her next court date is April 17.

Her attorney Joseph Cataldo said it was unfortunate Roy killed himself but it is outrageous for the Bristol County District Attorneys Office to now criminalize this situation.

Roy, of Mattapoisett, graduated high school a month before his suicide. Carter, of Plainville, graduates high school in June.

Roys grandmother is heartbroken.

If she really loved him as she said she did why didnt she try and prevent him not to, Janice Roy told MyFoxBoston

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2015/02/28/girl-18-faces-manslaughter-in-friend-suicide/

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Nona62
Professor Silent
link   seeder  Nona62    9 years ago

If she really loved him as she said she did why didnt she try and prevent him not to, Janice Roy told MyFoxBoston this is just so bizarre!!!

Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom
Professor Guide
link   Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom    9 years ago

Nothing like ahaving asupportive friend to see you through troubled times. /s

$10 says her lawyer uses the excuse that his client was attempting to use reverse psychology to save his life.

I'm also wondering howmuch her little money-raising schemeearned. I've become so cynical these days, that when I read about civil suits, retail complaints, etc., I immediately check on-line funding sites. On average, 7 out of 10 complainants have registered requests for donations.

ArkansasHermit
Freshman Silent
link   ArkansasHermit    9 years ago

She wanted the sympathy toward herself that came with having him killed himself.

Nothing like ahaving asupportive friend to see you through troubled times. /s

One of themost uncommoncases of "Munchausen by proxy" I've ever heard tell of.

Kavika
Professor Principal
link   Kavika     9 years ago

Although I think she deserves the charge, I doubt that she will be found guilty.

Think of all the people that yell for a person to jump,that's standing on the edge of a building contemplating suicide. To my knowledge, I don't think anyone has ever been charged with a crime.

1stwarrior
Professor Participates
link   1stwarrior    9 years ago

I'm curious 'bout the 1,000 texts during his last couple of days.

And her most stupid one was - you can't quit now, get back in the car and finish it - everyone will think you're a coward.

Kinda looks like being egged on to me, eh?

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
link   Hal A. Lujah    9 years ago
More evidence of the accelerated dumbing down of America. Did this girl really think that her culpability would go unnoticed?

Professor Guide

Kinda looks like being egged on to me, eh?

At the very least!It was like shewas mentally rubbing her hands together in giddy anticipation.

One phone call, just one, would have saved this guy's life. She's an adult, andknew exactly what she was doing.

Here is what the little darling had to say after the love of her life died:

Such a beautiful soul gone too soon. I'll always remember your bright light and smile. You'll forever be in my heart, I love you Conrad

Michelle Carter (@michyc47) July 13, 2014

The hardest word to say is goodbye. I miss you always my angel pic.twitter.com/xmfCNJgY1w

Michelle Carter (@michyc47) July 19, 2014

I miss my Conrad

Michelle Carter (@michyc47) August 2, 2014

In September, Carter tweeted about a fundraiser in Roys honor.

COME. WATCH AND SUPPORT HOMERS FOR CONRAD AND MAKE A DONATION! Located at the Plainville Athletic League!

Michelle Carter (@michyc47) September 13, 2014

Thank you so much to everyone who came out to support Homers for Conrad! I'm so happy to say that with your help, we raised over $2,300!

Michelle Carter (@michyc47) September 13, 2014

Days prior to Roys suicide, Carter was allegedly telling her friends "its her fault that Conrad is dead, even though he was still alive and speaking and texting with her regularly," police said.

South Coast Today reported that on July 11, 2014, Carter texted a friend saying she couldnt locate Roy and was "a mess," then an hour later texted Roy and allegedly said, "Let me know when youre gonna do it."

Carter is out on $2,500 bail. Oopsies. Looks like shewas $200 short!

Involuntary Manslaughter?My. Big. Butt.

Nona62
Professor Silent

I feel so bad for his parents and REAL friends.

Nona62
Professor Silent

She wanted the sympathy toward herself that came with having him killed himself

To me, that's a major cry for help on her part.....sorry, no sympathy here...

Nona62
Professor Silent

Kinda looks like being egged on to me, eh? Pretty much....

Nona62
Professor Silent

No sympathy for her at all!!

Nona62
Professor Silent

VERY good point Kav!! I never thought of that......DUH!!!

((don't forget, as oftomorrow, I will be gone for a few days...hopefully only a few, if allgoes well...Please try to keep things under control....ha ha ha))

Nona62
Professor Silent

Kinda looks like being egged on to me, eh? Pretty much!!

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
link   Hal A. Lujah    9 years ago
Do you at least think that this cunt should be socially ostracized? What kind of lowlife encourages a depressed, but otherwise healthy person, to kill themself?

Nona62
Professor Silent

bf...-I think the fact that she continued and continued to "encourage" him, faulty.

Nona62
Professor Silent

Do you at least think that this cunt should be socially ostracized? Please watch the language....

Nona62
Professor Silent

Are you serious or did you forget the s/c tag? I can't tell.....

Professor Guide

Charles Manson didn't directly murder anyone, either, and yet his coercive participation in orchestrating the deaths of several peoplewas enough to earn him the death penalty, and rightly so.He and only he provided the information necessary to commit the murders, such ashis reasons for wanting them dead, their addresses, andat least one of the murder weapons.

Cathy Evelyn Smith may not have deliberately wanted to murder John Belushi when she, at his behest, injected him with a lethal overdose of heroin and cocaine, but she was still convicted of involuntary manslaughter, and rightly so. Why? Because instead of calling an ambulance, she left him there to dieso she wouldn'tbe arrested on drug charges. On a side note, she probably would have gotten away withhercriminal duplicity had she not sold her story to a tabloid magazine,a story in which she admittedgiving Mr. Belushi the injection that killed him.

As for the case at hand, Miss Carter's participation in the suicide of her 'best friend' was obvious in her texts. She not onlyspent a great deal of time talking him into it, but she seemed to be setting herself up as an innocentand concerned love interestin texts and tweets to friends before, during, and afterMr. Roy had committed the act.

By thelate 1980's, every state in the US had passed laws declaring it to be a felony to aid, advise or encourage another person to commit suicide. Afew states have Right To Die With Dignity statutes, and even in those,a person must provide proof that they have 6 months or less tolive as the result of a terminal illness before another person can legally assist them with committing suicide.

MissCartermay not have hooked up the gas generator, but she damn sure providedyoung Mr. Roywith the enthusiastic encouragement to inhale deeply.

Professor Guide