╌>

K-9 Veterans Day, March 13th...The Dogs of War.

Category:  History & Sociology

Via:  kavika  •  5 years ago  •  20 comments

K-9 Veterans Day, March 13th...The Dogs of War.

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

Today is K-9 Veterans day. A day to honor the dogs of war used by the US Military. They are on the front lines facing the same dangers as our troops. They protect/guard/search and as always, they are forever faithful. 

They give their lives to protect their handler and are due all honors. 

Today they are used in all branches of the military. Those that serve with our ''Special Forces'' are Airborne trained and full recipients of the Airborne ''wings''...

parachuting+dog1304697919.jpg

Located on the US Naval Base in Guam is a most unique cemetery. One for the War Dogs of the Marine Corps of WWII. I've had the honor to visit this cemetery. 

2250906.jpg

th?id=OIP.NdO6DUmZd0oXftXYU6OBbgHaF6&pid

There have been many books written on the US Military War Dogs. If I was to recommend one it would be ''Forever Faithful'' by Captain William W. Putney, D.V.M., U.S.M.C. (ret)

The books is inspiring, humorous, poignant, sad, happy and most of all the bravery of the War Dogs and their Marine handlers. 

The War Dog units were started in WWII but in WWI was one of the most famous War Dogs of all time. Sargent Stubby, mascot and fighting infantry dog of the 26th Infantry (The Yankee Division)

https://worldwar1letters.wordpress.com/the-adventure-unfolds/over-there-1918-1919/stubby-the-26th-div-mascot/

The link is well worth reading..

Dogs have served in the US Military as far back as the Revolutionary War, but not officially until WWII.  

tumblr_nhl0whYxFl1qkvbwso1_500.png

Joseph White, a retired military working dog trainer, came up with the idea for K-9 Veterans Day. By his efforts, his home state of Florida recognized the day in 2009. Other states have since recognized it as well, although it has not been recognized on the national level. The day is dedicated not only to K-9 veterans of the military, but also to customs dogs, search and rescue dogs, police dogs, border patrol dogs, and secret service dogs. March 13 is the date of the holiday because the K-9 Corps was created on March 13, 1942. The Quartermaster Corps of the Army began training dogs on that date, making it the moment when dogs officially became part of the U.S. Armed Forces.

Three months before   Pearl Harbor , U.S. Army Sgt. Robert H. Pearce started a small K-9 command program at Fort MacArthur in San Pedro, Los Angeles. He brought Hollywood dog trainer Carl Spitz on board. (Spitz was known for owning and training a Cairn Terrier named Terry, who was best known for playing the role of Toto in   The Wizard of Oz .) In January of 1942, they began asking people in Los Angeles to bring their dogs to Pershing Square to be used in the war effort. Over 1,000 dogs were brought, including Rudy Vallee's Doberman Pinscher, King, and Mary Pickford's German Shepherd, Silver. The program was known as Dogs for Defense. These dogs would go on to be used by the K-9 Corps.

Originally, thirty breeds of dogs were accepted by the K-9 Corps, but this was narrowed down to seven: German Shepherds, Siberian Huskies, collies, Belgian Sheepdogs, Doberman Pinschers, Eskimo dogs, and Malamutes. New dogs were first given obedience training. They were then given additional training to be a scout or patrol, messenger, sentry, or mine detector. Within eight to twelve weeks they completed their training. The original idea was to have 200 dogs in the K-9 Corps, but by the end of World War II, the number had ballooned to more than 10,400. Most of the dogs were family pets.

Although dogs were first formally trained for military service during World War II, they have been used in war since antiquity. More recently, some were used informally during the Civil War. During World War I, the German, British, and Belgian armies used them to pull carriages and wagons loaded with guns and supplies, to pull telephone lines, to carry messages, and to comfort those who had been injured. About 7,000 dogs were used in World War I, but not only a few of these were from the United States.

As of the late 2010s, over 2,500 dogs actively serve in the military, and about 700 are deployed overseas. Military dogs sniff out bombs and weapons, search and patrol, perform guard duty, and serve as companions to those who suffer from post-traumatic stress disorder and traumatic brain injury. Military dogs are usually German Shepherds, Belgian Malinois, or Labrador Retrievers. Dogs in the military now can receive medals and awards, and they often have retirement and memorial services held for them. In law enforcement, dogs began being used more in the 1970s. These dogs patrol, perform search and rescue missions, and detect drugs, explosives, cadavers, and arson accelerants. Dogs in both military and law enforcement roles, as well as dogs in other similar official roles, are all honored today.

K-9 Veterans Day is being observed today! It has been observed annually on March 13th since 2008.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Kavika
Professor Principal
1  seeder  Kavika     5 years ago

They deserve all honors bestowed on them.

Kavika
Professor Principal
2  seeder  Kavika     5 years ago

American Humane (a great institution) matches War Dogs with their handles in civilian life. They are used extensively as comfort dogs for our vets suffering from PTSD or from wounds sustained in combat...American Humane pays all costs  for them and for their vet needs for life. 

I know I shouldn't do this but if you can, donate what you can. It's a wonderful organization helping our vets. 

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
3  Perrie Halpern R.A.    5 years ago

Indeed they do. They are as much a soldier as any other human.

Unidentified soldiers in Iraq.

And they help when our soldiers come home, too. My daughter's boyfriend told me how the dogs help out with the wounded at the VA, when he was at the VA. It really made the guys with PTSD perk up. Many even go home with them as part of continuing therapy.

Wonderful article. Giving thanks to those who only need a pet to be happy. 

Kavika
Professor Principal
3.1  seeder  Kavika   replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @3    5 years ago

Thanks sister. The truly are mans/womens best friend.

dave-2693993
Junior Quiet
4  dave-2693993    5 years ago

Great story Kavika. I am glad you posted this.

I enoy coming across these sorts of stories about Service Dogs. I like it when the dogs and handlers are re-united after service too.

Thank you for this article.

Kavika
Professor Principal
4.1  seeder  Kavika   replied to  dave-2693993 @4    5 years ago

The military really appreciates the dogs as do the civilian search and rescue, BP and all the other groups that relay on them. 

Perhaps the general public is not fully aware of the awesome service of the dogs, but hopefully they will learn what amazing animals they are. 

I like it when the dogs and handlers are re-united after service too.

American Humane does a outstanding job getting them together again and also paying for their vet care for life. They also have another program where they put a dog together with a vet (non handler) that needs the help of the dog...I truly love American Humane for doing this. 

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
5  Buzz of the Orient    5 years ago

Courage of Lassie is a 1946 film starring Elizabeth Taylor about a Collie named Bill who serves as a war dog that won citations for saving the lives of a group of American soldiers who were trapped during WW2.

Kavika
Professor Principal
5.1  seeder  Kavika   replied to  Buzz of the Orient @5    5 years ago

Wow, thanks for reminding me of that movie. I'd totally forgotten about it. 

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
5.1.1  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Kavika @5.1    5 years ago

It shows the war training of the dogs, the id number ear tattoo, and makes a point about the lasting trauma the dogs can suffer, just like soldiers can get from combat.

They showed that movie on TV here a couple of weeks ago. I watch English language movies here almost every day, but then you know my love of the movies.

Kavika
Professor Principal
5.1.2  seeder  Kavika   replied to  Buzz of the Orient @5.1.1    5 years ago
the lasting trauma the dogs can suffer,

I just read an article a couple of months ago on the trauma that the dogs suffer from combat..

Makes one have an even deeper respect for these wonderful dogs.

luther28
Sophomore Silent
7  luther28    5 years ago

Sadie and I send out a big woof to all our K-9 members

Kavika
Professor Principal
8  seeder  Kavika     5 years ago

And the K 9 hero's thank you and Sadie for that big woof, luther.