╌>

Meteor no one saw coming exploded over Earth with force of 10 atomic bombs

Category:  Health, Science & Technology

Via:  perrie-halpern  •  5 years ago  •  21 comments

Meteor no one saw coming exploded over Earth with force of 10 atomic bombs
NASA says the blast was the second-largest meteor impact on record.

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

By   Brandon Specktor, Live Science

On Dec. 18, 2018, a school bus-size meteor exploded over Earth with an impact energy of roughly 10 atomic bombs.   According to NASA , the blast was the second-largest meteor impact since the organization began tracking them 30 years ago, bested only by the infamous fireball that   exploded over Chelyabinsk, Russia , in Feb. 2013.

Despite this,   hardly anyone noticed   it was happening — and nobody saw it coming.

As to why one of the largest meteor impacts in recent history may have totally passed you by, that's likely because the space rock in question shattered over the   Bering Sea , a cold stretch of the Pacific Ocean between Russia and Alaska, miles from inhabited land.

NASA learned about the December impact thanks to the U.S. Air Force, whose missile-monitoring satellites were among the first to detect the blast. The rumble of the impact also registered on infrasound detectors — stations that measure low-frequency sound waves   inaudible to human ears   — around the world, giving scientists enough data to draw some basic conclusions about the sneaky meteor.

According to NASA, that   meteor   weighed about 1,500 tons, had a diameter of about 32 feet, and was traveling through the atmosphere at about 71,582 mph when it exploded. The blast occurred about 15.5 miles over the ocean and erupted with an energy equivalent to 173 kilotons of TNT — roughly 10 times the energy of the   atomic bomb that the United States detonated over Hiroshima   during World War II.

The world's asteroid-monitoring groups failed to see the rock headed our way likely due to its smallish size. Alan Fitzsimmons, an astronomer at Queen’s University Belfast in Northern Ireland,   told New Scientist   that most modern telescopes are best able to detect objects measuring several hundred meters or more in diameter, making smaller objects like this one easy to miss. NASA asteroid hunters are most concerned about identifying near-Earth objects measuring 460 feet across, which have the potential   to obliterate entire US states   if allowed to pass through the atmosphere, Live Science previously reported.

The December 2018 impact only came to attention this week thanks, in part, to a presentation at the Lunar and Planetary Science Conference in Texas that was delivered by Kelly Fast, NASA's near-Earth objects observations program manager. Fast   told BBC News that the December event exploded with "40 percent the energy release of Chelyabinsk," but didn't show up in the news because of the impact's relatively remote location.

The Chelyabinsk meteor, which measured 62 feet wide, passed over mainland Russia and   was recorded   by many motorists. The resulting shockwaves injured more than 1,200 people.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
1  seeder  Perrie Halpern R.A.    5 years ago

Hard to believe that we didn't see this one coming and deeply disturbing. I feel like a dinosaur. 

Gordy327
Professor Expert
1.1  Gordy327  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @1    5 years ago
Hard to believe that we didn't see this one coming and deeply disturbing.

Have to keep eyes on the sky, and it's a big sky.

I feel like a dinosaur. 

Better than going the way of them via meteor impact.

Freefaller
Professor Quiet
1.2  Freefaller  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @1    5 years ago
Hard to believe

Not at all hard to believe considering the size of the object, the vastness of our surrounding space and our limited ability to observe it.

I feel like a dinosaur.

Lol big and dead?

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
1.2.1  seeder  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Freefaller @1.2    5 years ago

No dumb and dead, LOL. 

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
1.2.2  Trout Giggles  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @1.2.1    5 years ago

I was going to call you a diamond but then I remembered dinosaurs made oil, plants made coal (which turns into diamonds)

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
2  Ed-NavDoc    5 years ago

At least it exploded over the earth instead of on it.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
4  Trout Giggles    5 years ago

I don't even have anything snarky to say about this

Freefaller
Professor Quiet
4.1  Freefaller  replied to  Trout Giggles @4    5 years ago

Awww c'mon, you just need to put some more effort into it.jrSmiley_68_smiley_image.png

igknorantzrulz
PhD Quiet
4.2  igknorantzrulz  replied to  Trout Giggles @4    5 years ago

i do

but out of respect

for NO ONE,

no one deserves a break today, and every other day

and i prefer it be a large bone

of contention.

Just states our whirled is filled with asteroids, 

and there is No Universal 

Prporatin H to heal , this swirling whirld

sorry, i didn't read article, but i'mguessin my universal ointmeant

for all that Ails

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
6  Bob Nelson    5 years ago

Interesting seed, Perrie. Thanks.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
6.1  seeder  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Bob Nelson @6    5 years ago

Thanks, Bob,

I try to bring different stories every day. 

igknorantzrulz
PhD Quiet
6.1.1  igknorantzrulz  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @6.1    5 years ago
different stories every day

interesting diversions, but Earth has it's own asteroid,

and either one could potentially end earth as we know it, but, it is healthy to not get to caught up today, with the news as it goes.

Bruce Willis is still alive, isn't he ?

Tacos!
Professor Guide
8  Tacos!    5 years ago

It's scary, but I guess anything that size, while hard to spot, is going to destroy itself in the atmosphere. It's sort of a comfort.