╌>

White Christian Nationalism May Not Be Religious, But It Is Christian

Category:  Religion & Ethics

Via:  don-overton  •  5 years ago  •  1 comments

White Christian Nationalism May Not Be Religious, But It Is Christian
white Christian nationalism isn’t religious (or even grounded in religious scripture)

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

After  my recent post  on the terror attack in New Zealand , several Christians reached out to  Religion Dispatches  and directly to me asking why I conflated white terrorism with Christian nationalism.

They eloquently noted that the shooter (whose name I shall not use) did not use Christian theology, but espoused anti-Muslim and anti-immigrant views that seemed disconnected from religion. But in making that argument, they might be missing a larger point: white Christian nationalism isn’t religious (or even grounded in religious scripture), but its adherents nearly always frame their grievances in terms of endangered white Christian societies.

Following Charlottesville, I wrote that  white nationalism  does  have theological roots , with evangelicals like Bob Jones standing firmly in the way of civil rights. In modern iterations, white nationalism and Christian fundamentalism have converged with folks like Tony Perkins, Steve King (who is  at it again ), and David Duke.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
1  Bob Nelson    5 years ago

I very strongly disagree with this seed.

The various movements it describes have nothing to do with Christ. Christ taught love and inclusion... the opposite of these people.

They may call themselves "Christian", but then North Korea calls itself "democratic". A Christian is someone who follows Christ... or at least tries to. These people certainly do not qualify.