Former IRS Head Under George W. Bush Just Shattered Trump’s Big Lie About His Tax Returns

Via:  don-overton  •  8 months ago  •  50 comments

Former IRS Head Under George W. Bush Just Shattered Trump’s Big Lie About His Tax Returns
“If the chairman of Ways and Means asks for a return, he or she gets it,” Everson told MSNBC’s Chris Hayes. “It’s that simple.”

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

It's terrible that the republican administration flants our laws and the constituition

t that he is under no obligation to release his tax returns, even as the House Ways and Means Committee has formally – and legally – issued a request for them.

Mark Everson, the former IRS commissioner under George W. Bush, quickly smacked down Trump’s continued stonewalling, saying that the law is clear.

“If the chairman of Ways and Means asks for a return, he or she gets it,” Everson told MSNBC’s Chris Hayes. “It’s that simple.”

Video:

IRS commissioner under George W. Bush says "the law is clear" when it comes to handing over tax returns. # ctl # p2

In a short exchange with the MSNBC host, Everson busts the Trump administration myth that he isn’t obligated to hand over his tax returns when they are formally requested:

HAYES:   My next guest served as IRS commissioner for several years under George W. Bush. … Mr. Everson, maybe you can just start with, as someone with some expertise here, your understanding of the law in terms of this request.  EVERSON:   I think that the law is clear here, Chris. If the chairman of Ways and Means asks for a return, he or she gets it. It’s that simple. 

Trump’s tax return cover-up is coming to an end

As Democrats continue to force the issue, Trump’s tax return cover-up appears to be reaching its conclusion – and it’ll likely be devastating for him.

Each reason the president puts forward for why he can’t release his tax returns – from his seemingly decades-long audit to his claim that there is no law that requires him to hand them over – has been debunked six ways from Sunday.

Now that Trump has no ground to stand on and the law, like usual, isn’t on his side, the American people are likely to soon find out why this president was so afraid to show his tax returns.

Article is Locked

smarty_function_ntUser_is_admin: user_id parameter required
Find text within the comments Find 

Sparty On
1  Sparty On    8 months ago

No source of seeded content.

Don Overton
1.1  seeder  Don Overton  replied to  Sparty On @1    8 months ago

Try again

Sparty On
1.1.1  Sparty On  replied to  Don Overton @1.1    8 months ago

Good job, glad you finally fixed it.

It Is ME
2  It Is ME    8 months ago

[deleted]

WallyW
3  WallyW    8 months ago

What the lefties don't realize, is that if some government bureaucrat doofus can demand the prez's tax returns, then that same doofus can come after theirs. It appears that Congressional oversight has become overreach and harassment,

There is no legitimate reason for politicians to see Trump's returns, so they won't be getting them.

What are they going to do....impeach him?  jrSmiley_86_smiley_image.gif

Dulay
3.1  Dulay  replied to  WallyW @3    8 months ago
What the lefties don't realize, is that if some government bureaucrat doofus can demand the prez's tax returns, then that same doofus can come after theirs. It appears that Congressional oversight has become overreach and harassment,

The Chairman of the Ways and Means Committee isn't 'some government bureaucratic doofus'. Rep. Neal is a duly elected Congressman and has the authority under statute to demand Trump's, or ANYONE'S tax returns. 

There is no legitimate reason for politicians to see Trump's returns, so they won't be getting them.

So now it's politicians and not bureaucrats. Make up your mind. 

What are they going to do....impeach him? 

If Trump's last two years of tax returns document an impeachable offense, why not? 

Ronin2
3.1.1  Ronin2  replied to  Dulay @3.1    8 months ago
The Chairman of the Ways and Means Committee isn't 'some government bureaucratic doofus'. Rep. Neal is a duly elected Congressman and has the authority under statute to demand Trump's, or ANYONE'S tax returns.

This is the very definition of a doofus, with obviously too much damn power at that. 

So now it's politicians and not bureaucrats. Make up your mind. 

A jackass by any other name is still a jackass.

If Trump's last two years of tax returns document an impeachable offense, why not? 

The Dems need to remember that paybacks are a bitch. The precedents they are setting will be used against them the next time they control the WH.  They won't hold the House forever, just as the Republicans will not hold the presidency forever.

Dulay
3.1.2  Dulay  replied to  Ronin2 @3.1.1    8 months ago
The Dems need to remember that paybacks are a bitch.

The GOP is getting some payback right now. 

The precedents they are setting will be used against them the next time they control the WH.  They won't hold the House forever, just as the Republicans will not hold the presidency forever.

You're kidding right? YEARS of investigation by the GOP set the precedent. 

Ronin2
3.1.3  Ronin2  replied to  Dulay @3.1.2    8 months ago
You're kidding right? YEARS of investigation by the GOP set the precedent. 

Years of obstruction set the precedent for Trump to follow.

Dulay
3.1.4  Dulay  replied to  Ronin2 @3.1.3    8 months ago
Years of obstruction set the precedent for Trump to follow.

Trump only has one way to obstruct, the veto. He's only used one. He promised not to sign another budget that didn't give him what he wanted. He signed another budget [shocking] and then signed a EO to steal the money from elsewhere, mostly the military. Trump isn't obstructing Congress, he's obstructing the readiness of our military. Y'all must be proud. 

Krishna
3.1.5  Krishna  replied to  Ronin2 @3.1.1    8 months ago
The Dems need to remember that paybacks are a bitch. The precedents they are setting will be used against them the next time they control the WH.  They won't hold the House forever, just as the Republicans will not hold the presidency forever.

So what are they gonna do with future democratic presidents-- demand to see their taxes?

Highly unlikely.

Why?

Because every modern Democratic president has voluntarily turned over his taxes-- so there won't be a "demand" for them!

(Incidentally I believe every modern Republican has  turned over their taxes as well-- only Trump is acting like he has something to hide!)

Texan1211
3.1.6  Texan1211  replied to  Krishna @3.1.5    8 months ago
(Incidentally I believe every modern Republican has turned over their taxes as well-- only Trump is acting like he has something to hide!)

I find it hard to believe that a bunch of internet CPAs will "find" something in Trump's taxes that an army of highly trained IRS agents couldn't.

What is it that you think will be revealed?

Krishna
3.1.7  Krishna  replied to  Texan1211 @3.1.6    8 months ago
I find it hard to believe that a bunch of internet CPAs

What is an "Internet CPA"?

And why do you think that, if the report is turned over, it will be given to a bunch of Internet CPAs rather than the appropriate Congressional Committee(s)?

Krishna
3.1.8  Krishna  replied to  Texan1211 @3.1.6    8 months ago

I have no idea.

That's why I'd like to see the report (heck, we taxpayers paid for the damn investigation). 

But what's the big deal-- why is Trump so intent on keeping it secret if he's got nothing to hide?

In fact, if he had nothing to hide, I would think he'd insist on making it public-- that would be the only way to counter any suspicions of wrongdoing once and for all!

igknorantzrulz
3.1.9  igknorantzrulz  replied to  Krishna @3.1.8    8 months ago
In fact, if he had nothing to hide, I would think he'd insist on making it public--

Remeber some aszwhole 

demanding to see birth certificates, School records, on another, while, and if he has any, CD's that invested time into Trump's source for monetary enrichment that fluctuates often , dependent on weather the winds blowing if better to inflate for mortgage loan max, or LIE about worth to save on taxes, or whether the weather really has  ANY thing to do whatsoever with that Climate Change Hoaxy Poaxy as the world spins it self around for flat earthers to spin the truth , cause the truth is extremely dangerous to large corporations profiting ridiculously of the stupidity of an ignorant nation.

Thus Y the Retard brain dead B Russian N listening Deafinitely to  Blind Dumb Blonds 

whose hair color is Black

N

White

Stripes, as she wears Jack Black's Brown underwear with a stripe from a Jack White piece,

and understandinng, whts so FUnny about it,

when yu don't get the punch line to the face i deserve for being underserved , just because i was under the bar

limboing like a Rush

in the dark

of light, performing the high jump, because i was, hurdling the pole, cause i didn't want to dance around it, just vault over it,

it makes me feel safe

for a combination of reasons

i can't recall

Ender
3.1.10  Ender  replied to  igknorantzrulz @3.1.9    8 months ago
cause the truth is extremely dangerous to large corporations profiting ridiculously of the stupidity of an ignorant nation

jrSmiley_12_smiley_image.gif

evilgenius
3.1.11  evilgenius  replied to  Texan1211 @3.1.6    8 months ago

That he deflated his net worth for taxes while inflating his net worth for loans. 

Texan1211
3.1.12  Texan1211  replied to  evilgenius @3.1.11    8 months ago

Is your net worth in your tax returns? Mine sure isn't.

zuksam
3.1.13  zuksam  replied to  Dulay @3.1    8 months ago

If the Chairman of the Ways and Means Committee is requesting Trumps tax returns without a legitimate reason then it is the Chairman of the Ways and Means Committee who will find himself impeached. Using the power of your office to go after people for political reasons is a crime, if there were anything in Trump's tax returns documenting an impeachable offense the FBI would have charged him or put it in the report because you can be sure they looked everywhere during their politically motivated Witch Hunt for anything and everything to bring Trump Down. Requesting Trump's Tax Returns hoping there will be evidence of wrongdoing without proof that wrongdoing occurred is the very definition of a Witch Hunt and is Illegal.

Dulay
3.1.14  Dulay  replied to  zuksam @3.1.13    8 months ago
If the Chairman of the Ways and Means Committee is requesting Trumps tax returns without a legitimate reason then it is the Chairman of the Ways and Means Committee who will find himself impeached.

That is a big fucking IF. After reading Neal's letter, it looks legitimate to me.

Perhaps you have another perspective after your review of the letter. /s

Using the power of your office to go after people for political reasons is a crime,

Which is why Nunes should be looking over his shoulder...

if there were anything in Trump's tax returns documenting an impeachable offense the FBI would have charged him or put it in the report because you can be sure they looked everywhere during their politically motivated Witch Hunt for anything and everything to bring Trump Down.

The FBI doesn't have the authority to file charges of Impeachment. Only the Congress has that authority. 

Requesting Trump's Tax Returns hoping there will be evidence of wrongdoing without proof that wrongdoing occurred is the very definition of a Witch Hunt and is Illegal.

Utter bullshit. American's tax returns are released to investigators all of the time. Investigations pursue evidence of wrongdoing AND EXCULPATORY evidence. 

Krishna
3.2  Krishna  replied to  WallyW @3    8 months ago
What are they going to do....impeach him? 

That might be one way to accelerate the process of getting the returns made public (granted, even if impeached the Senate will never convict-- but at leastthe public will get to see what the investigation has produced.

Tessylo
4  Tessylo    8 months ago

'then that same doofus can come after theirs.'

If we've got nothing to hide, no worries.

Obviously the turd in chief has something to hide or it would release them.  

WallyW
4.1  WallyW  replied to  Tessylo @4    8 months ago
Obviously the turd in chief has something to hide or it would release them.  

Why did turd Hillary try to hide her sometimes confidential emails from the FOIA?

Tessylo
4.1.1  Tessylo  replied to  WallyW @4.1    8 months ago

giphy.webp?cid=790b76115caf29fa773944396

Don Overton
4.1.2  seeder  Don Overton  replied to  WallyW @4.1    8 months ago

Yes wally he wants to hide he has no money is deeply in debt and all his loans are from russia

†hε pε⊕pレε'š ƒïšh
4.1.3  †hε pε⊕pレε'š ƒïšh  replied to  Don Overton @4.1.2    8 months ago

I'm picking up a similar transmission on my Russia Truther Tin foil Hat transponder.

WallyW
4.1.4  WallyW  replied to  Don Overton @4.1.2    8 months ago
Yes wally he wants to hide he has no money is deeply in debt and all his loans are from russia

And your credible source for this bombshell is.....?   The IRS maybe? 

Don Overton
4.1.5  seeder  Don Overton  replied to  WallyW @4.1    8 months ago

She didn't.   

Don Overton
4.1.6  seeder  Don Overton  replied to  WallyW @4.1.4    8 months ago

And you think the lying comment you made has any source at all

Ed-NavDoc
4.1.7  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  †hε pε⊕pレε'š ƒïšh @4.1.3    8 months ago

The left just cannot seem to comprehend or admit that there is absolutely no legal obligation for any sitting president to voluntarily release any tax returns. And with Trump, it just is not going to happen and the Dems cannot legally force him to.

Sparty On
4.1.8  Sparty On  replied to  Ed-NavDoc @4.1.7    8 months ago

I predict some bureaucrat will ultimately release them, leak them, etc.   Then it will be off to the next races for the looners.   The Russian thing doesn't appear to be working out to their satisfaction so they gotta vent their Trump venom on something.

Lest their butts seize up from unreleased chronic butt-hurt

Dulay
4.1.9  Dulay  replied to  Ed-NavDoc @4.1.7    8 months ago
The left just cannot seem to comprehend or admit that there is absolutely no legal obligation for any sitting president to voluntarily release any tax returns.

The right just cannot seem to comprehend or admit that there is absolutely no reason to let Trump off the hook for the PROMISES he made about releasing his tax returns. Since his excuse for not doing so is a bald faced lie, one has to wonder why his supporters aren't calling for transparency. 

And with Trump, it just is not going to happen and the Dems cannot legally force him to.

Rep. Neal will have something to say about that. 

Ed-NavDoc
4.1.10  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  Dulay @4.1.9    8 months ago

Nice attempt at deflection there, but still no cigar.jrSmiley_50_smiley_image.gif

Krishna
4.1.11  Krishna  replied to  Ed-NavDoc @4.1.7    8 months ago
there is absolutely no legal obligation

Link?

Krishna
4.1.12  Krishna  replied to  WallyW @4.1    8 months ago
Why did turd Hillary try to hide her sometimes confidential emails from the FOIA?

BTW, while your into whattabouting, any new info re Benghazi you'd like to share with us? (I imagine many people here are waiting for that with baited breath...)

Ozzwald
4.1.13  Ozzwald  replied to  Krishna @4.1.12    8 months ago

BTW, while your into whattabouting, any new info re Benghazi you'd like to share with us? (I imagine many people here are waiting for that with baited breath...)

Not to mention that we never did hear back from Trump's investigators in Hawaii.  He said they found some amazing stuff on Obama's birth certificate.  Still waiting on that.

Dulay
4.1.14  Dulay  replied to  Ed-NavDoc @4.1.10    8 months ago

Judging from Trump's lawyer's reaction to Rep. Neal's demand for Trump's tax returns, it sure as hell doesn't look like they see it as a 'defection'. 

Split Personality
4.1.15  Split Personality  replied to  Ed-NavDoc @4.1.10    8 months ago
This is not an issue on which there is any possibility of reasonable disagreement. Any well-informed person who disagrees either that the Ways and Means Committee has an obligation to demand Trump’s tax returns as part of fulfilling its oversight duties or that Trump is legally obliged to turn them over is either a partisan hack or contemptuous of the rule of law.

Rep. Neal made a written request, as the statute requires. The statute itself does not say that a justification for the request is necessary . However, Rep. Neal also included in his letter a statement that the House Ways and Means “Committee is considering legislative proposals and conducting oversight related to our Federal tax laws, including, but not limited to, the extent to which the IRS audits and enforces the Federal tax laws against a President.” This is a legitimate concern, as the history of former President Nixon’s initially lenient IRS audit illustrates.

Rep. Neal’s letter requests returns and return information for a six-year period beginning in 2013. Several of these years precede President Trump’s presidency. However, those tax returns may have been under IRS audit after President Trump was elected or took office. And regardless, in determining “the extent to which the IRS audits and enforces the Federal tax laws against a President,” it should be helpful to compare the period before and during President Trump’s presidency.

Rep. Neal’s letter was addressed to the commissioner of the IRS. It is not up to President Trump to respond. If the IRS and Treasury do not turn over the requested returns and return information to Rep. Neal, presumably Rep. Neal will sue for enforcement of the statute.

https://www.vox.com/2019/4/9/18296806/trump-tax-returns-congress-legal-experts

It Is ME
5  It Is ME    8 months ago

I'd love to see someone really dig into politicians tax returns. ALL "Politicians".

It's weird how they can get elected on a 170 grand or so/yr salary, and end up becoming multi-Millionaires (Bernie). Insider Trading ? 

If AOC lasts, it could be fun to see what her net worth is after a few years in congress.

Don Overton
5.1  seeder  Don Overton  replied to  It Is ME @5    8 months ago

[deleted]

It Is ME
5.1.1  It Is ME  replied to  Don Overton @5.1    8 months ago

That's so cute !

I have a grandson that has fun with "Oh Ya? " stuff too. He's a hoot !

MUVA
5.1.2  MUVA  replied to  Don Overton @5.1    8 months ago

Wealth and success envy and is such a waste of time.

Krishna
5.2  Krishna  replied to  It Is ME @5    8 months ago
I'd love to see someone really dig into politicians tax returns. ALL "Politicians".

Well, I certainly wouldn't!

That would be boring as all hell. (Not quite as boring as the constant non-sensical discussions here as to wheher or not god exists-- but quite boring never-the-less!)

But then again, people are different. So whatever floats yer boat....

It Is ME
5.2.1  It Is ME  replied to  Krishna @5.2    8 months ago

Are you "FOR", digging into the "ONE" ?

bugsy
6  bugsy    8 months ago

This is nothing but political hay. This dumbass knows he will never get Trump's tax returns. Even if he did, he can't disclose any of it without Trump's approval, so, no leaking for him or the other loon libs on the panel. If he tries to file impeachment based on what he sees if he does get them, he will have to tell the country why he is recommending charges, and that will mean he will have to disclose what was in the returns, ie, illegal.

Lose/lose for lbs yet again.

Greg Jones
6.1  Greg Jones  replied to  bugsy @6    8 months ago

And, as  someone mentioned earlier, the Dems are setting all kinds of precedents that will ultimately be used against them. It's time they get over trying to overturn the last election, they're only making fools of themselves.

Krishna
6.2  Krishna  replied to  bugsy @6    8 months ago
he can't disclose any of it without Trump's approval,

Link?

Krishna
7  Krishna    8 months ago

When I saw this headline about "Trump's Big Lie" re: his taxes, I was thinking of another, lie of his on the subject: his  frequent claim that you can't release your taxes if you're under audit. A blatant lie (I assume he thought he could get away with having people believe it without bothering to check).

But its a lie:

Mr. Trump has repeatedly refused to release his federal income tax returns, defying the practice of presidential candidates going back four decades. He and his campaign have offered varying reasons, but the excuse most frequently invoked is that he is under audit by the Internal Revenue Service.

The I.R.S. said that an audit does not prevent Mr. Trump from making his returns public.

freepress
8  freepress    8 months ago

Funny how the right wing gun nuts love to repeat the Constitution with the "Shall not be infringed" but leave out the "well regulated" portion when it comes to gun rights. They love the word "Shall" and use it as an absolute.

Yet when it comes to the same kind of law that uses the word "Shall" when it comes to auditing every President and every VP and when it comes to asking to see those documents, all of a sudden the word "Shall" is in question.

Trump promised his tax returns, then lied saying he wouldn't because he was under audit, but that is no excuse when we know Nixon and every President is audited. 

I thought Trump promised transparency, another lie.

zuksam
9  zuksam    8 months ago

“If the chairman of Ways and Means asks for a return, he or she gets it,” Everson told MSNBC’s Chris Hayes. “It’s that simple. In a short exchange with the MSNBC host, Everson busts the Trump administration myth that he isn’t obligated to hand over his tax returns when they are formally requested:"     The Truth is Trump isn't obligated to hand anything over to the chairman of Ways and Means. If the Chairman of Ways and Means were to make a request it would be directly to the IRS not Trump and if the request was for a legitimate and legal reason and passed legal muster the IRS would turn over Trump's returns. If the IRS hasn't turned them over there must be a problem with Chairman's request. If he's asking Trump directly he must know he doesn't have a legitimate reason to request them directly from the IRS so he's just putting on a Political Smoke Show by requesting them from Trump whom he already knows will refuse but that's the point now he's making a big deal out of the refusal despite the fact he requested the returns from the wrong party his request needs to be made directly to the IRS.