╌>

Lawyer Who Represented Nixon Says Trump’s Retaliation Could Land Him In Prison For Ten Years

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  don-overton  •  5 years ago  •  34 comments

Lawyer Who Represented Nixon Says Trump’s Retaliation Could Land Him In Prison For Ten Years
Trump’s retaliation against McGahn is a crime

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

Jeffress said during an interview with MSNBC’s Rachel Maddow, “Well, through his tweets if nothing else, president trump has made it clear that he is furious at a number of people, certainly including Don McGahn, including Michael Cohen, likely including others who provided information to Mr. Mueller. And that information made its way into the report and was embarrassing to president trump. Now there is a criminal statute on the books. It’s called retaliation against witnesses. It punishes anybody who takes action to retaliate against a witness who has provided truthful information to law enforcement authorities. And president trump and his lawyers have got to be very cautious in taking any action other than words against any of these people who he is angry at.”

Maddow asked, “In terms of — what you just said there, other than words, with the kind of criticism that the president has levied already against people who have testified, potentially be shaky ground given the possibility of intimidation of witnesses being invoked here as a relevant statute, would it have to be some sort of act of furtherance to try to cause harm to those persons? Obviously, we have seen at least one act taken by the White House in that they have fired Don McGahn’s law firm with some white house anonymous sources telling reporters that that was taken specifically in response to Don McGahn essentially becoming an enemy of the White House based on his testimony.”

Video:

FUblTzPz_normal.jpg

PoliticusUSA @politicususa

The lawyer who represented Richard Nixon after he left the White House, William Jeffress, says Trump retaliatory action against Don McGahn could land him in prison for ten years. http:// ow.ly/9r8p30owU1V  

Jeffress answered, “The way the statute reads is if the president causes any harm to an individual in retaliation for his testimony, that’s a criminal offense carrying a prison sentence of up to ten years. And, yes, I think if you caused the firing of a law firm that caused harm to the witness and you did that specifically with intent to retaliate against the witness’ testimony, that would unquestionably be a crime.”

The 2020 election is right around the corner. Donald Trump is continuing to crimes at such a rapid pace that prosecutors will have their choice of charges to file against the possibly former president. Trump’s criminality is ongoing, so even winning a second term might not be enough for him to run out the statute of limitations on crimes that he is committing today.

Prison appears to be Donald Trump’s destiny.

For more discussion about this story join our   Rachel Maddow and MSNBC group.

Follow Jason Easley on Facebook

Mr. Easley is the founder/managing editor and Senior White House and Congressional correspondent for PoliticusUSA.   Jason spent four years as a political columnist and the politics editor at  411mania.com , where he covered such issues as the Iraq War, warrantless wiretapping, and the daily workings of the American legislative process. Jason has also written for the Blogger News Network and saw his 2008 presidential election coverage quoted in over 300 newspapers worldwide. Jason has a Bachelor’s Degree in Political Science. His graduate work focused on public policy, with a specialization in social reform movements.

Awards and  Professional Memberships

Member of the Society of Professional Journalists and The American Political Science Association

Article is LOCKED by author/seeder
[]

Don Overton
Sophomore Quiet
1  seeder  Don Overton    5 years ago

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
1.1  Greg Jones  replied to  Don Overton @1    5 years ago

Trump is very good with words and is always several steps ahead of his detractors.

No collusion, no obstruction, and as far as we know, no record of criminal convictions.

I believe that "tweeting" comes under that pesky thing called freedom of speech.

I would hope that the left believes in due process and the presumption of innocence.

What part of Denver do you live in?

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
1.1.1  Trout Giggles  replied to  Greg Jones @1.1    5 years ago

Very good with words?????

Did I read that right or do I need my eyes checked?

Yeah because "bigly" is right there in the dictionary, isn't it?

JBB
Professor Principal
1.1.2  JBB  replied to  Greg Jones @1.1    5 years ago

Trump's threats of retaliation are illegal and will lead to his impeachment.

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
1.1.3  Greg Jones  replied to  JBB @1.1.2    5 years ago

How can they be defined as threatening? Who is going to impeach him?

igknorantzrulz
PhD Quiet
1.1.4  igknorantzrulz  replied to  Trout Giggles @1.1.1    5 years ago
eah because "bigly" is right there in the dictionary, isn't it?

richt aftyer 'biglier'

Don Overton
Sophomore Quiet
1.1.5  seeder  Don Overton  replied to  Greg Jones @1.1    5 years ago

I don't but nice try.  What part of the southern states do you live in, NC most likely

Dismayed Patriot
Professor Quiet
1.1.6  Dismayed Patriot  replied to  Trout Giggles @1.1.1    5 years ago
Yeah because "bigly" is right there in the dictionary, isn't it?

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but sadly "Bigly" is in the dictionary.

Bigly: adverb - To a great extent; on a large scale (humorous/informal)

"Late Middle English (meaning ‘with great force’): from big + -ly. Rare from the late19th century until 2016, it was revived as a result of its association with President Donald Trump, whose adverbial use of big league in speech (to mean 'by a considerable amount') was widely misinterpreted as ‘bigly’."

So while the word did exist before Donald Trump, and it hasn't been in regular use for over 100 years, Trump ignorantly misused it multiple times.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
1.1.7  Trout Giggles  replied to  Dismayed Patriot @1.1.6    5 years ago

well hell

Don Overton
Sophomore Quiet
2  seeder  Don Overton    5 years ago

Enoch
Masters Quiet
3  Enoch    5 years ago

Will be interesting how this all plays out.

Ah the U.S. Constitution, that pesky thing.

P&AB.

E.

It Is ME
Masters Guide
4  It Is ME    5 years ago

"Trump’s retaliation against McGahn is a crime"

jrSmiley_78_smiley_image.gif

In Liberal land ……. ANYTHING, and I mean ANYFRIGGINTHING done by Trump ………….Is a friggin "CRIME" ! jrSmiley_75_smiley_image.gif

bbl-1
Professor Quiet
4.1  bbl-1  replied to  It Is ME @4    5 years ago

"Anything done by Trump--------Is a friggen Crime!"

Truer words have never been spoken.  This is biblical.

It Is ME
Masters Guide
4.1.1  It Is ME  replied to  bbl-1 @4.1    5 years ago
Truer words have never been spoken. 

Can't come up with anything on your own ? jrSmiley_88_smiley_image.gif

Don Overton
Sophomore Quiet
4.2  seeder  Don Overton  replied to  It Is ME @4    5 years ago

Read the fucking article for a change

It Is ME
Masters Guide
4.2.1  It Is ME  replied to  Don Overton @4.2    5 years ago
Read the fucking article for a change

I DID !

Are you in "ASSuming" mode now ?

Don Overton
Sophomore Quiet
4.2.2  seeder  Don Overton  replied to  It Is ME @4.2.1    5 years ago

No I don't have to assume because I did read the article and you didn't

bbl-1
Professor Quiet
5  bbl-1    5 years ago

the Trump is in a precarious although familiar position.  His whole life is one of hiding, deflecting, lying, blaming others and feeling sorry for himself.

He lives by the attack. 

the Trump anomaly is the fact that those who support him do not know him.  And those who know him use that position only for personal gain.  the Trump is a man who's presence always places others on an edge. 

Saw the Jeffress interview.  I still wonder if the Trump will ever get his fair share of justice.  After all, I am still waiting for the final report from the Hawaiian 'investigation team' looking into former President Obama's birth status.  To this day the Trump has not explained any of it.  Why?  

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
5.1  Greg Jones  replied to  bbl-1 @5    5 years ago

The long form birth certificate is a photo shopped fake. Why would the father's race be listed as "African". I believe the term in those days was "Negro". This has been confirmed beyond a reasonable doubt. He real father was Frank Marshall Davis. Barack Senior never lived one day with his mother, who left Hawaii shortly after his birth after to school in Seattle. Obama's book are a batch of lies. This is all a matter of record if you do some searching. What remains a mystery is why all his school records are still locked up

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
5.1.1  JohnRussell  replied to  Greg Jones @5.1    5 years ago

Birthers are the dumbest people in America. Piss or get off the pot. 

Hawaii officials confirm Obama’s original birth certificate still exists | The Honolulu Advertiser

Posted on: Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Hawaii officials confirm Obama’s original birth certificate still exists

By Dan Nakaso
Advertiser Staff Writers

Hawai'i's Health Department confirmed yesterday that it has President Obama's original Aug. 4, 1961, birth certificate in storage, but the announcement is unlikely to satisfy conspiracy theorists who insist Obama was born in Kenya.

"We don't destroy vital records," Health Department spokeswoman Janice Okubo said. "That's our whole job, to maintain and retain vital records."

The Health Department's director reiterated yesterday that she has seen Obama's birth records.

" I, Dr. Chiyome Fukino, director of the Hawai'i State Department of Health, have seen the original vital records maintained on file by the Hawai'i State Department of Health verifying Barack Hussein Obama was born in Hawai'i and is a natural-born American citizen, " Fukino said in a statement. "I have nothing further to add to this statement or my original statement issued in October 2008, over eight months ago."

Fukino tried on Oct. 31 to put an end to the belief among so-called "birthers" that Obama was not born in Honolulu's Kapiolani Maternity & Gynecological Hospital. The birthers insist that Obama was not born in the U.S. and is therefore ineligible to be president.

Despite Fukino's statement yesterday — and several court rulings and statements by Hawai'i's Republican governor, Linda Lingle, the issue continued to resonate from Capitol Hill to the blogosphere.

A congressional resolution introduced yesterday by Rep. Neil Abercrombie, D-Hawai'i, commemorating the 50th anniversary of Island statehood was temporarily postponed because birthers objected to a clause noting Obama was born in Hawai'i, said Dave Helfert, an Abercrombie spokesman.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
5.1.2  JohnRussell  replied to  JohnRussell @5.1.1    5 years ago

Birthers are so stupid, the state of Hawaii had to say that they held the original birth certificate in their archives THREE TIMES (in 2008, 2009, and 2011, and still some of the dumb ass birthers still don't get it. 

bbl-1
Professor Quiet
5.1.3  bbl-1  replied to  Greg Jones @5.1    5 years ago

No.  The fake would be the Trump.

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
5.1.4  Greg Jones  replied to  JohnRussell @5.1.2    5 years ago

Oh, he was born in Hawaii, all right.

But just about everything else written or spoken about him is mostly lies, fabrications, and lots of made up shyt. He was a well spoken and clean black dude, according to Biden. Otherwise he was an unqualified phony and fake.

Don Overton
Sophomore Quiet
5.1.5  seeder  Don Overton  replied to  Greg Jones @5.1    5 years ago

[deleted]

Don Overton
Sophomore Quiet
5.1.6  seeder  Don Overton  replied to  Greg Jones @5.1.4    5 years ago

It's all truth and you can't  find anything to dispute it

bbl-1
Professor Quiet
5.1.7  bbl-1  replied to  Greg Jones @5.1.4    5 years ago

What are you defending and why are you defending it?

Issues?

luther28
Sophomore Silent
5.1.8  luther28  replied to  JohnRussell @5.1.1    5 years ago
Birthers are the dumbest people in America. Piss or get off the pot. 

Nicely said John:)

Split Personality
Professor Guide
6  Split Personality    5 years ago

Damn, from the headline, I thought Nixon's lawyer could go to jail..........

/s

Sparty On
Professor Principal
7  Sparty On    5 years ago

No seeded content.   Who's the source Don?   You?

Split Personality
Professor Guide
7.1  Split Personality  replied to  Sparty On @7    5 years ago

it works for me.

Don Overton
Sophomore Quiet
7.2  seeder  Don Overton  replied to  Sparty On @7    5 years ago

[DELETED,  same CoC violation as above]

Don Overton
Sophomore Quiet
7.2.1  seeder  Don Overton  replied to  Don Overton @7.2    5 years ago

Right where it belongs you can find it if you really read the article as posted

igknorantzrulz
PhD Quiet
8  igknorantzrulz    5 years ago

defenders of the indefensible,

continue offending ANY THINKING persons, and it is absolutely amazing , asz if they all caught the same rash,

rash of $hit that is,

this gigantic producer of  A whole

lott

of truly insecure & pathetic pseudo Patriotic peons purportedly N  in proportionally    Drawn, like a    peculiar little pack of prawns, under where

the crust, of crustaceans, is deformed , due to the lack of calcium enriched .001%'s,

who have promoted this deformed   Ab Stain on our country.

Trumps  artistic Dissed ability, has drawn the pawns of prawn, into his crusty crustacean   Crab filled    underwear 

like a Star Spangled Spanish Transgendered gaggle of goose neck geeky goobers gettin goosed,

by some damn fowl    ballz

to the wall , that after bouncing 

off his

chin

ups  delivers daily, not male, but so much bullShit by Bovines, and Designs,

to FCK peep holes   misinterpretation of a Truer reality, that the POS POTUS spreads with plurality, to distort the reception, held immidiatly following,

the decelebration of a marriage, divorced from reality   that

they rationalize ,like his  non stop rexpress shunned

X planations to Won Losing Nation of IGKNORANT FOOLZ ,

Whom have proven their 

GLARING INSECURITIES, for one n all to C, as he often brags about his grabs,   as if with his tiny little hands,  he rapps

to the cheering strokers,

of a pitiful little country,

too ignorant, and or insecure to C .

to take that which is   True, replace it with non stick goo, called glue,

leaves one 

stuck ,

onto STUPID, as it is, as STUPID as what he, ANd 

they, do dew       due to a forest so dense,

his flockers can't see the 

TREASON

luther28
Sophomore Silent
9  luther28    5 years ago

If only. I believe he is just teasing us.