╌>

President Donald Trump on the late Sen. John McCain: 'He did the nation a tremendous disservice'

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  tessylo  •  5 years ago  •  8 comments

President Donald Trump on the late Sen. John McCain: 'He did the nation a tremendous disservice'

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

aaaa2f80-fa39-11e8-8fbf-da9c00b689c4   Christal Hayes, USA TODAY   8 hours ago

data_3_0.jpg?s=e6c85c734f93e6e448f0f70f4

WASHINGTON – President Donald Trump again railed against late Republican Sen. John McCain on Thursday, calling the Vietnam veteran's vote against a skinny repeal of Obamacare "disgraceful." 

In an interview with Fox News' Sean Hannity, Trump brought up McCain, the Arizona senator who died last August, while discussing future plans to reshape health care and the future of the Affordable Care Act. Trump said Republicans had a plan done but it was shot down due to McCain.

Then, Trump rekindled the infamous moment in 2017 when McCain voted against a Republican-led effort to repeal portions of Obamacare, walking to the front of the Senate floor and giving a thumbs-down gesture. 

"He did the Republican Party a tremendous disservice and he did the nation a tremendous disservice, tremendous, and it’s unfortunate," Trump said of McCain, the  Republicans' 2008 presidential nominee. "He went thumbs-down at the very last moment and I thought it was a disgraceful thing to do and very, very bad for our country and bad for health care." 

Despite widespread criticism, even from members of his own party, Trump has continued to assail McCain even after his death. Before he died, McCain took a stand against Trump's rhetoric, which he said had swayed Republicans from their true beliefs.

McCain's death:   'Thank you for fighting': Visitors at Sen. McCain's office documented his legacy in the Trump era

A timeline:   What's driving Donald Trump's feud with John McCain? War record, Obamacare among the themes

Last month, Trump said he was   "never a fan"   of the late senator, tweeted incorrectly that McCain tried to publicize a dossier alleging misdeeds by Trump and boasted that he never got a thank-you for giving McCain "the kind of funeral that he wanted."

McCain's daughter,  Meghan, responded   to some of the president's attacks by questioning why he was so obsessed with her father and saying that the president would "never be a great man" like McCain. 

"No one will ever love you the way they loved my father," Meghan McCain said in one tweet.

Trump then   defended his attacks   by blaming the media. 

"I don't talk about it. People ask me the question, I didn't bring this up," the president   told Fox News host  Maria Bartiromo last month after she questioned why Trump was attacking a dead man who "can't punch back." 

'But, Mr. President, he's dead': Trump defends his attacks against McCain in Fox interview

More:   Donald Trump: 'I was never a fan of John McCain and I never will be'

On Thursday, however, Trump was the one to bring up McCain during a discussion on the future of health care. 

"It was done and then John McCain, at the very last moment, late in the evening, went thumbs-down and everybody said, 'What was that?'" the president told Hannity. 

Trump added that Republicans would be looking toward another solution soon but said first they would need to take back control of the House, which shifted power to Democrats after the 2018 midterms. 

"We’re going to do things that nobody has ever seen on health care, but we have to get back the House," Trump said. 

This article originally appeared on USA TODAY:   President Donald Trump on the late Sen. John McCain: 'He did the nation a tremendous disservice'

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Tessylo
Professor Principal
1  seeder  Tessylo    5 years ago

"He did the Republican Party a tremendous disservice and he did the nation a tremendous disservice, tremendous, and it’s unfortunate," Trump said of McCain, the  Republicans' 2008 presidential nominee. "He went thumbs-down at the very last moment and I thought it was a disgraceful thing to do and very, very bad for our country and bad for health care." 

Despite widespread criticism, even from members of his own party, Trump has continued to assail McCain even after his death. Before he died, McCain took a stand against Trump's rhetoric, which he said had swayed Republicans from their true beliefs.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
2  seeder  Tessylo    5 years ago

"It was done and then John McCain, at the very last moment, late in the evening, went thumbs-down and everybody said, 'What was that?'" the president told Hannity. 

Trump added that Republicans would be looking toward another solution soon but said first they would need to take back control of the House, which shifted power to Democrats after the 2018 midterms. 

"We’re going to do things that nobody has ever seen on health care, but we have to get back the House," Trump said. 

Lying sack of shit.  You haven't done dick regarding health care and never will.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
3  JohnRussell    5 years ago

Trump is a mental case.

There is a very persuasive explanation for these things that I have heard. Trump's popularity hovers at about 40% and it has been remarkably consistent at that basic level for the entire length of his presidency. He HAS TO keep all of that 40% and find a way to scrape out another 5-7% to even have a chance in 2020.

To Trump , he keeps the 40% locked in by throwing them this sort of red meat, on the assumption they think McCain was a "RINO", or some sort of traitor to the cause.

Trump is also personally humiliated by the fact that McCain opposed his presidential style so openly.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
3.1  seeder  Tessylo  replied to  JohnRussell @3    5 years ago
'Trump is also personally humiliated by the fact that McCain opposed his presidential style so openly.'

That's why he keeps kicking this decent and honorable man's corpse again and again and again and again and again and again and again . . . . 

Kavika
Professor Principal
4  Kavika     5 years ago

Typical of someone that has no moral fabric. He's been blabbering about health care and the wonderful bill that the republicans will have...It's been a couple of years of his talking about it and 6 year of the republicans and not a damn thing so far...

luther28
Sophomore Silent
5  luther28    5 years ago

Mr. Trump could do the Nation a great service, by having his lips sown together.