╌>

Woman recovering after freak accident with power drill tears off scalp

Category:  Other

Via:  nona62  •  9 years ago  •  22 comments

660_scalped_woman.jpg

A 27-year-old Czech woman whose skin and hair were ripped from her head after an accident with a power drill is almost fully recovered thanks to plastic surgery and stitches, Central European News (CEN) reported.

Petra Novotna, a mother-of-four who works as a volunteer firewoman, said she remembers everything from the incident, which happened about a month ago.

I went to run, and then I saw my scalp was no longer attached to me it was lying next to me instead, Novotna told CEN.

Novotna reportedly had been using the electric drill when strands from her ponytail became wrapped in the device. The drill bit sucked up the rest of her hair then pulled the woman forward, ripping off the skin from her forehead, eyebrows and eyelids, as well as her entire head of hair.

She was rushed to the University Hospital of Vinohrady in the Czech Republic capital of Prague, where she arrived in serious condition. But doctors were able to use tissue from Novotnas arms and legs to restore her scalp. The remaining skin on her head was nearly impossible for surgeons to reattach, CEN reported.

Novotna is now on the mend and said she is looking forward to going home. Her doctor Andrej Sukop said the surgery was complicated and took nine hours, but it was successful.

In fact, the operation was such a success that we have already had several enquiries from other hospitals who want more details on exactly what we did, Sukop told the news station.

http://www.foxnews.com/health/2015/02/24/woman-recovering-after-freak-accident-with-power-drill-tears-off/?intcmp=latestnews

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Nona62
Professor Silent
link   seeder  Nona62    9 years ago

WOW! She's a very lucky woman!!

Nona62
Professor Silent

And OOWWW!!

Nona62
Professor Silent

lol I think you know I meant that she is lucky that she wasn't injured worse than what she was.Smile.gif

Nona62
Professor Silent

Well, considering this happened only a month ago, I think she looks pretty darn good. I would have expected bruises and scabs to still be there. OUCH!!

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet
link   Dowser    9 years ago

Good gosh! This is horrible! I'm glad she survived!

There are tales, here in KY, of people who actually survived a scalping-- as long as their skull was intact, they could survive without their scalp. UGH.

Nona62
Professor Silent

OMG! Leave it to you to think of something like thisGrin.gif You ARE a badfish!! Off to the Time Out Chair you go!!!

Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom
Professor Guide
link   Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom    9 years ago

2323_discussions.jpg Yes, Max,Ms. Novotna is indeed a very lucky woman.Total scalp degloving seldom has an outcome this positive. I'm sure the skill of her surgeons is the main reason. But she is also lucky in that it was a symmetrical degloving.A great deal of the scarring will be hidden in the creases of her eyelids.

Nona62
Professor Silent

OMG!!! OOOOWW!!!!!

Nona62
Professor Silent

EEEEKKKK!!!

deepwater don
Freshman Silent
link   deepwater don    9 years ago

WOW!!!!

Nona62
Professor Silent

You are one lucky guy!!

Nona62
Professor Silent

I just can't imagine howpainful that must be. There are tales, here in KY, of people who actually survived a scalping--. Dowser, were these accidents, or were theydone by sick people?

Krishna
Professor Expert
link   Krishna    9 years ago

Power drills don't kill people...people kill people!

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet

Poor woman!

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet

Oh no, years ago-- when KY was "the west". Back when medical help wasn't much. Like the 1780s...

The key to survival was that the skull wasn't broken by the blow used to scalp the person. If they just lost their scalp, but their skull was intact, as long as they didn't bleed to death, they could survive.

It was really common, actually. That anyone survived is a miracle!

Nona62
Professor Silent

If I were her, I would NEVER touch a power drill again!!

Nona62
Professor Silent

That anyone survived is a miracle! I'll say!

Nona62
Professor Silent

I wonder if they saved the guy's leg? I hope so...

Nona62
Professor Silent

I can't imagine some of the things that EMT's see during their career.

Nona62
Professor Silent

ggrrrr....My reply thingy is gone again..... If that what works, that's all that matters.