╌>

WHY THE TOILET IS COMMONLY KNOWN AS “THE CRAPPER”

Category:  Other

Via:  buzz-of-the-orient  •  5 years ago  •  4 comments

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

Thomas-Crapper.jpg Today I found out   why the toilet is also often called “The Crapper”.

It all started with U.S. soldiers stationed in England during WWI.  The toilets in England at the time were predominately made by the company “Thomas Crapper & Co Ltd”, with the company’s name appearing on the toilets.  The soldiers took to calling toilets “The Crapper” and brought that slang term for the toilet back with them to the United States.

Interestingly, the word “crap” does not derive from “Crapper”.  The origins of the word “crap” is not entirely known, but it is known that it was commonly used in England to refer to rubbish or chaff, but fell out of use in the 16th century, long before Thomas Crapper and his company came along.

The term “crap” was still used somewhat in America though, coming over pre-16th century from England, and it is thought that one of the reasons American soldiers seemed to universally take to calling the toilet “The Crapper” is they found it funny with “crap” meaning something to the effect of “refuse” and that most of the cisterns and toilets in England were stamped with “T. Crapper & Co Ltd”.  It was ironical to them, though the joke was lost on the English who had long stopped using the term “crap”.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
1  seeder  Buzz of the Orient    5 years ago

Although Thomas Crapper didn't invent the flush toilet, he did invent the "ballcock" that maintains the water level in the water container for the toilet.

Sparty On
Professor Principal
1.1  Sparty On  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @1    5 years ago

I hear he was very "venerable" as well ......

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
1.2  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @1    5 years ago

Thomas Crapper also held 9 patents, 3 of them for water closet improvements, one of them being the floating ball cock.

dave-2693993
Junior Quiet
2  dave-2693993    5 years ago

LOL.

Buzz, I am not good at your movie quizzes, but this one I knew without having to read.