╌>

‘Unhinged, insensitive and lying’: Trump uses bogus bar graph to spread falsehood about Puerto Rico hurricane aid

Category:  World News

Via:  don-overton  •  5 years ago  •  21 comments

‘Unhinged, insensitive and lying’: Trump uses bogus bar graph to spread falsehood about Puerto Rico hurricane aid
"His racism knows no boundaries," said San Juan Mayor Carmen Yulín Cruz.

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

President Donald Trump spent the opening minutes of a campaign rally in Panama City Beach, Florida on Wednesday attacking hurricane-ravaged Puerto Rico for not sufficiently appreciating his administration’s relief efforts—which   critics have decried as grossly inadequate —and attempting to use a bar graph to bolster his   repeatedly debunked   claim that the island has received a record amount of storm aid.

“I brought a chart. Would you like to see a chart?” Trump said, pulling a piece of paper from his jacket pocket to cheers from the audience

“That’s Puerto Rico and they don’t like me,” said the president, pointing to a section of the bar graph purporting to show that Puerto Rico has received $91 billion in hurricane relief funding.

As   The Associated Press   reported , Trump’s “number is wrong, as is his assertion that the U.S. territory has set some record for federal disaster aid. Congress has so far distributed only about $11 billion for Puerto Rico, not $91 billion.”

After a guy in audience yells "I love you!" Trump makes sure everyone knows he's not gay.

"That's a guy, but I love him. Whoever the hell you are, I love you," he says.

Trump, who opened his speech touting how much disaster relief he's given to Florida, indicates he thinks people of hurricane-ravaged Puerto Rico are ungrateful.

He then brandishes chart purportedly showing how much more he's given PR than elsewhere & bashes PR politicians.

San Juan Mayor Carmen Yulín Cruz—who Trump has repeatedly singled out in his attacks on Puerto Rico’s political leaders— slammed the president’s remarks on Twitter .

“Unhinged, insensitive, and lying,” Cruz wrote. “His racism knows no boundaries.”

Others echoed Cruz:

A real monster, riling up hatred and resentment against a devastated American island. https:// beta.washingtonpost.com/politics/2019/ 05/07/president-trumps-claim-that-puerto-rico-has-been-given-billion/?outputType=amp 

Pres holds up chart to show that Puerto Rico has received far more disaster relief funding than Texas or Florida. "They got $91-billion," Trump says of aid to Puerto Rico. Says he thinks people of Puerto Rico are really grateful to him.

As Common Dreams   reported  in March, over a million U.S. citizens in Puerto Rico have faced large cuts to food stamps and other services in the aftermath of Hurricane Maria as a relief package—which also includes disaster aid to Florida and other states—remains stalled in Congress due to opposition from Republicans and the Trump administration.

Even in the face of the island’s devastating circumstances, Trump has   reportedly said that he “doesn’t want another single dollar” going to Puerto Rico.

In a   statement   following the president’s rally, House Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) said Democrats are moving ahead this week with a $17.2 billion disaster relief package that includes aid to Puerto Rico.

“Sadly, Senate Republicans have been more committed to hurting our fellow Americans in Puerto Rico than healing communities everywhere,” Pelosi said. “Meanwhile, the president has doubled down on Republicans’ callousness, deliberately delaying assistance payments to Puerto Rico and inflicting more needless suffering on the Americans who are still reeling from his administration’s disastrous response to the hurricanes.”

Why do republicans hate everyone but themselves?

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Don Overton
Sophomore Quiet
1  seeder  Don Overton    5 years ago

Trump shows his racist and hate and anti-Christian side again

Waits for the first to defend him.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
2  JohnRussell    5 years ago

It has been long established that a big part of Trump's appeal is to white grievance. People who are not white are always lacking something to this mindset.

There is no way Trump will change. He wants a fighting chance in the election and without the white grievance vote he has none.

Tacos!
Professor Guide
4  Tacos!    5 years ago
Congress has so far distributed only about $11 billion for Puerto Rico, not $91 billion.

"So far." That's the key phrase there.

I would be fine with criticizing Trump's $91 million claim if the criticism weren't so hypocritical. Based on the existing legislation, Puerto Rico could indeed - given time and the right circumstances - see that amount of money eventually. It's not really an invented number. Of course they haven't seen anything close to that yet, so I agree that it's wrong at this time to claim they have been given that much money.

My problem with the criticism is that politicians of all parties (and the media) do this all the time. For example, let's say there is a proposal on the table to increase Medicare spending by 10% for the next budget. Someone else counters with a proposal to increase spending, but only by 5%. Their opponents will claim they are trying to cut Medicare spending by 5% even though it will actually be an increase in spending from the current levels.

These people lie with numbers and it's SOP so I just kind of roll my eyes a little when they see Trump do it and want to call him a liar.

Don Overton
Sophomore Quiet
4.2  seeder  Don Overton  replied to  Tacos! @4    5 years ago
These people lie with numbers and it's SOP so I just kind of roll my eyes a little when they see Trump do it and want to call him a liar.

And  where do you get that, oh Fox and friends

Tacos!
Professor Guide
4.2.2  Tacos!  replied to  Don Overton @4.2    5 years ago
where do you get that, oh Fox and friends

Sorry, I don't watch your shows - especially that one. My understanding is that it comes on at like 3 o'clock in the morning where I live. I'm busy sleeping then.

Since my reference seems unclear to you, I will give you some examples of what I am talking about.

A 5 Percent Discretionary Cut Still Provides Ample Spending

President Trump has  asked each cabinet secretary to propose a plan to cut 5 percent of their agency's budget for next year. Assuming this cut is relative to spending this year (we discuss other assumptions below ), a 5 percent cut would be both reasonable and achievable. Such a cut would reverse only one-third of the spending increases over the past two years. Further, it would still represent a $63 billion increase relative to current law , which would need to be offset .

Obama’s claim that Obamacare has reduced health-care inflation ‘every single year’ since it was passed

In fact, despite the president’s claim of a decrease of every year, the White House’s own chart shows that the 2013 estimate represents a slight uptick from 2012 , when adjusted for inflation and population. As the White House report puts it, “the three years since 2010 will have recorded the three slowest health-care spending growth rates since record keeping began in 1960.” That is impressive, but it is not the same as health costs going down “ every single year” since the law was passed in 2010. . . . 

The president gets even more specific in the second part of his statement — that $180 billion is being saved in the Medicare program . We realize he was speaking extemporaneously at a news conference, but he’s using too much shorthand here. He is referring to a Congressional Budget Office projection for the year 2020, not currently, and this is a combined figure for both Medicare and Medicaid, which totals $188 billion. (In speeches , the president has rendered the statistic correctly.)

In 2020, the CBO report shows, the decrease for Medicare alone would be $120 billion. Obama talks about the $180 billion as if it is current savings, but in the 2014 fiscal year, the estimated savings is just $60 billion.

As you can see, both sides do it.