╌>

Army Tweets 'How Has Serving Impacted You?' Gets Thousands of Responses About the Horrors of War

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  badfish-hd-h-u  •  5 years ago  •  78 comments

Army Tweets 'How Has Serving Impacted You?' Gets Thousands of Responses About the Horrors of War
"My cousin committed suicide while on duty at the armory after coming home from a tour abroad."

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

On Friday, the United States Army  asked Twitter users  how the service impacted their lives, likely as part of a Memorial Day campaign.

The sad responses are a poignant and timely reminder of the toll of war. Appropriate for the holiday, but probably not what the Army P.R. team intended.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Steve Ott
Professor Quiet
2  Steve Ott    5 years ago

Read this this morning. Wanted to queue up "War Pigs" by Sabbath.

epistte
Junior Guide
2.2  epistte  replied to  Steve Ott @2    5 years ago
Read this this morning. Wanted to queue up "War Pigs" by Sabbath.

I prefer Disposable Heroes by Metallica. The lyrics are equally harsh.

Thrawn 31
Professor Guide
2.2.2  Thrawn 31  replied to  epistte @2.2    5 years ago

Great song, one of my Favs. This band was never the same after Cliff though. 

If you are looking for a song about the horrors of war then check out Paschendale by Iron Miaden.

Kavika
Professor Principal
3  Kavika     5 years ago

The first casualty of war is innocence.

You never forget, you just cope as best you can.  

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
4  Jeremy Retired in NC    5 years ago

After 26 years of service, the military treated me pretty good.  It's the all the political bullshit that's killing me now.  Politicians send us off to fight then pull funding for veterans programs, support illegals over veterans and treat us like garbage.

epistte
Junior Guide
4.1  epistte  replied to  Jeremy Retired in NC @4    5 years ago
It's the all the political bullshit that's killing me now.  Politicians send us off to fight then pull funding for veterans programs, support illegals over veterans and treat us like garbage.

When have the GOP ever supported veterans when it cost them more than a $2.00 flag pin for their lapel and a few platitudes?  Look at how Cadet Bone Spurs treated McCain and the Khan family?

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
4.1.1  Jeremy Retired in NC  replied to  epistte @4.1    5 years ago

During my career, most of the harmful cuts come under Democrat "rule".  

And before you praise the traitor McCain, take a closer look at who voted for many of the cuts.  His name is there.

Now that you mention the bone spur issue, think of it this way.  He had to go to the Department of Defense to get the approval for that.  Can we say the same about Barry?  No.  He just sat on his ass.

epistte
Junior Guide
4.1.2  epistte  replied to  Jeremy Retired in NC @4.1.1    5 years ago
During my career, most of the harmful cuts come under Democrat "rule".

Such as?

Now that you mention the bone spur issue, think of it this way.  He had to go to the Department of Defense to get the approval for that.  Can we say the same about Barry?  No.  He just sat on his ass.

Was "Barry" required to serve during peacetime?

Sparty On
Professor Principal
4.1.3  Sparty On  replied to  epistte @4.1.2    5 years ago

Doesn't matter.   In the end neither served.  

It amounts to the same thing no matter how you try to rationalize it.

epistte
Junior Guide
4.1.4  epistte  replied to  Sparty On @4.1.3    5 years ago
Doesn't matter.   In the end neither served.   It amounts to the same thing no matter how you try to rationalize it.

It does matter because of the existence of the draft when Trump got his multiple medical deferments. There was no requirement for "Barry" to serve because there was no draft in the early 1980s. If "Barry" hadn't served during a draft then they would be equal, but that is not the situation. 

Sparty On
Professor Principal
4.1.5  Sparty On  replied to  epistte @4.1.4    5 years ago

No it doesn't matter and like i said.  

Feel free to rationalize your justifications to let Obama off the hook for not serving.

If it were up to me no one would qualify to run for POTUS without service in the military or civilian equivalent.

No one.

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
4.1.6  sandy-2021492  replied to  Sparty On @4.1.5    5 years ago

One lied multiple times to avoid service. The other didn't.  Why are you justifying lying?

epistte
Junior Guide
4.1.7  epistte  replied to  Sparty On @4.1.5    5 years ago
No it doesn't matter and like i said.  

Feel free to rationalize your justifications to let Obama off the hook for not serving.

If it were up to me no one would qualify to run for POTUS without service in the military or civilian equivalent.

No one.

My mom is a USN veteran because of her service as a nurse during Korea and my older sister did 3 tours in the USAF. I enlisted in the USMC and got a medical discharge from basic because of my depression. Does that count to uber patriots like you? 

Sparty On
Professor Principal
4.1.8  Sparty On  replied to  sandy-2021492 @4.1.6    5 years ago

I justified nothing.   My point is simple  

Neither served so neither has the high ground in that regard.

Period ... full stop.

Sparty On
Professor Principal
4.1.9  Sparty On  replied to  epistte @4.1.7    5 years ago

I'm not the topic here.   You've clearly got a chip on shoulders regarding this topic.   Not sure why you have a need to make it personal.  

The Marine Corps isn't for everyone.   There is no shame in that .... never said there was.

That said, refer to post 4.1.8 if you still don't get where i stand regarding Trump and Obama on this topic.

epistte
Junior Guide
4.1.10  epistte  replied to  Sparty On @4.1.9    5 years ago
I'm not the topic here.   You've clearly got a chip on shoulders regarding this topic.   Not sure why you have a need to make it personal.  

The Marine Corps isn't for everyone.   There is no shame in that .... never said there was.

That said, refer to post 4.1.8 if you still don't get where i stand regarding Trump and Obama on this topic.

You excused Trump from serving during the draft but attacked Obama because he didn't serve in peacetime.  You also said that all potential POTUS candidates should service in some fashion.  I was wondering if my very short time (<8 weeks) in the Marines was up to your patriotic standards?

Sparty On
Professor Principal
4.1.11  Sparty On  replied to  epistte @4.1.10    5 years ago

Again, i excused no one.

Not sure how i can make more clear to you.

You really need to let that chip on your shoulders fall off.   It's not helping you any now.   In fact it appears to be still hurting you.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
4.1.12  Trout Giggles  replied to  epistte @4.1.10    5 years ago

Hmmmm....Sarah Palin was a potential POTUS but I didn't see any of her followers giving a crap about her military service

Sparty On
Professor Principal
4.1.13  Sparty On  replied to  Trout Giggles @4.1.12    5 years ago

[DELETED]

Texan1211
Professor Principal
4.1.14  Texan1211  replied to  Sparty On @4.1.13    5 years ago

I agree with your stance that neither Obama nor Trump has any high ground to stand on regarding military service.

But it isn't a requirement, so I don't know that we need to focus on it anymore.

It wasn't like Trump scrammed to Canada to avoid service. He got legal deferments like millions of others.

epistte
Junior Guide
4.1.15  epistte  replied to  Sparty On @4.1.11    5 years ago
Again, i excused no one. Not sure how i can make more clear to you.

You gave Donald Trump a pass on wartime deferment because of claimed bone spurs, but then you attacked Obama for not serving in peacetime. Do you expect us to not notice that partisan discrepancy? 

Sparty On
Professor Principal
4.1.16  Sparty On  replied to  Texan1211 @4.1.14    5 years ago
But it isn't a requirement, so I don't know that we need to focus on it anymore.

I hear ya and I'm not really.  

But when folks try to hold up one POTUS over another regarding military service and neither served?

I'm calling BS on that every time.

Every time.

Sparty On
Professor Principal
4.1.17  Sparty On  replied to  epistte @4.1.15    5 years ago

Bullshit!

Stop trying to put words in my mouth.

For the last time.   I gave no one "a pass."

Your shtick is getting old, very old.

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
4.1.18  sandy-2021492  replied to  Sparty On @4.1.16    5 years ago

One faced a draft. He dodged it dishonestly.  The other did not.

Equating the two is BS.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
4.1.19  Texan1211  replied to  Sparty On @4.1.16    5 years ago
But when folks try to hold up one POTUS over another regarding military service and neither served?
I'm calling BS on that every time.
Every time.

I support that.

Sparty On
Professor Principal
4.1.20  Sparty On  replied to  sandy-2021492 @4.1.18    5 years ago
One faced a draft. He dodged it dishonestly.  The other did not. Equating the two is BS.

First of all, unlike others here, i'm not trying to defend anyone.   Perhaps you need to reread this thread as well.   Second and as previously noted several times, neither served in the US military.   Trying to somehow elevate Obama's actions, higher than Trumps, when neither served is a non sequitur.   So lastly, equating the two is exactly spot on in that regard.   In that neither served.  

Hard to understand the difficulty some are having with that. 

1stwarrior
Professor Participates
4.1.21  1stwarrior  replied to  Sparty On @4.1.20    5 years ago

And then, they always seem to forget little Billy Clinton, who also "dodged" the draft.

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
4.1.22  sandy-2021492  replied to  Sparty On @4.1.20    5 years ago

Neither served.  One wasn't expected to.  One was expected to, but wormed his way out of it.  Odd that you don't see the difference there.  Why the anger at those who do see the difference, and remark on it?

Sparty On
Professor Principal
4.1.23  Sparty On  replied to  sandy-2021492 @4.1.22    5 years ago

Lol ... anger?    That would be funny if it wasn't so sad that you probably truly believe that when it is so offbase.   So alrighty then ..... I guess you have a problem with people who don't share your opinion.  Nothing new there .... SOSDD

We are done here.   No point taking this conversation any further.

Hope you have a nice day!

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
4.1.24  sandy-2021492  replied to  Sparty On @4.1.23    5 years ago

Yes, your comments ooze calm, reason, and logic,  and no anger or false equivalencies at all. 

You have a good day, too.

Sparty On
Professor Principal
4.1.25  Sparty On  replied to  sandy-2021492 @4.1.24    5 years ago
Yes, your comments ooze calm, reason, and logic,  and no anger or false equivalencies at all. 

Thanks!   

I try to eat right, get enough sleep and exercise but darn it, sometimes i just can't find the time do it.

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
4.1.26  Jeremy Retired in NC  replied to  epistte @4.1.2    5 years ago
Such as?

Sequestration because they couldn't come up with a budget.  Military budgets cut resulted in the reduction of civilian medical support at most active duty locations.  On top of that military budget cuts resulted in entire motorpools of vehicles and equipment serviceable.  Meaning Soldiers went to combat without needed equipment or with faulty equipment because repair parts couldn't be ordered.

But I don't expect 99% of the population to understand it since they never served.

Did he make an attempt?  No.  Trump had an approved waiver from DoD.  Barry had cowardice.

epistte
Junior Guide
4.1.27  epistte  replied to  Jeremy Retired in NC @4.1.26    5 years ago
Sequestration because they couldn't come up with a budget.  Military budgets cut resulted in the reduction of civilian medical support at most active duty locations.  On top of that military budget cuts resulted in entire motorpools of vehicles and equipment serviceable.  Meaning Soldiers went to combat without needed equipment or with faulty equipment because repair parts couldn't be ordered. But I don't expect 99% of the population to understand it since they never served.

Veterans benefits were exempt from sequestration.

The cuts were split evenly (by dollar amounts, not by percentages) between the defense and non-defense categories. Some major programs like Social Security , Medicaid , federal pensions and veteran's benefits are exempt. By a special provision in the BCA, Medicare spending rates were limited to no more than 2% per year versus the other,

Did he make an attempt?  No.  Trump had an approved waiver from DoD.  Barry had cowardice.

Trump refused to serve and made the excuse of bone spurs during the wartime draft. There was no draft in the early 1980s when Obama was 18-24. Was every able male supposed to serve during peacetime? 

Do the facts matter to you?

The New York City podiatrist who gave Donald Trump a letter stating he had bone spurs on his heels—which enabled him to dodge the Vietnam War draft—issued the document as a favor to Trump’s real-estate developer father, Fred, from whom his office space was rented, the doctor’s daughter has told The New York Times . “I know it was a favor,” said Elysa Braunstein, now 56, who said the implication from her father was that the future president did not have a disqualifying foot ailment. Braunstein’s surgical office in Jamaica, Queens, was owned by the Trump family until 2004. Braunstein said that after the letter was issued, her father received preferential treatment from his landlord. “If there was anything wrong in the building, my dad would call and Trump would take care of it immediately. That was the small favor that he got.”

Why do you make excuses for Trump refusing to serve during the draft, but you call Obama a coward?  

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
4.1.28  Jeremy Retired in NC  replied to  epistte @4.1.27    5 years ago
Veterans benefits were exempt from sequestration.

I was active duty.  There is a difference.  Not that I expect you to know.

Trump refused to serve and made the excuse of bone spurs during the wartime draft. There was no draft in the early 1980s when Obama was 18-24. Was every able male supposed to serve during peacetime?  Do the facts matter to you?

You mean like the fact Trump applied for the waiver and was approved?

Or do you mean Obama made no attempt at service.

Why do you make excuses for Trump refusing to serve during the draft, but you call Obama a coward?

I'm not making excuses.  I'm stating facts that you just don't want to hear or accept. 

You make the excuse that Obama didn't enlist in the military because there was no war.  There was no war when I enlisted.  

epistte
Junior Guide
4.1.29  epistte  replied to  Jeremy Retired in NC @4.1.28    5 years ago
You mean like the fact Trump applied for the waiver and was approved?

Trump applied for a medical waiver because of a bogus condition during wartime.

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
4.1.30  sandy-2021492  replied to  Jeremy Retired in NC @4.1.26    5 years ago

Buying a waiver is cowardice.  Refusal to recognize it as such is disingenuous.

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
4.1.31  Jeremy Retired in NC  replied to  epistte @4.1.29    5 years ago

So you agree, Trump applied and was approved.  Still far more than his predecessors record.

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
4.1.32  Jeremy Retired in NC  replied to  sandy-2021492 @4.1.30    5 years ago

That one you will have to provide proof of. 

pat wilson
Professor Participates
4.1.33  pat wilson  replied to  Jeremy Retired in NC @4.1.31    5 years ago

The draft stopped in 1973 so no one has had to apply for a waiver since. (eye roll)

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
4.1.34  sandy-2021492  replied to  Jeremy Retired in NC @4.1.32    5 years ago

And I suppose you'll provide proof of Obama's cowardice?

Your extremely biased opinion doesn't count as proof.

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
4.1.35  Jeremy Retired in NC  replied to  pat wilson @4.1.33    5 years ago

And yet here we are talking about approved DoD waivers. 

Texan1211
Professor Principal
4.1.36  Texan1211  replied to  Jeremy Retired in NC @4.1.35    5 years ago

Think anyone here knows that there were far more deferments issued during the Viet Nam era than there were men drafted?

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
4.1.37  Jeremy Retired in NC  replied to  sandy-2021492 @4.1.34    5 years ago
Your extremely biased opinion doesn't count as proof.

I never claimed a waiver was bought.  And as a veteran, yes Obama's lack of even attempting to enlist, I can see as cowardice.  Much like 99% of the population of this country.  

I enlisted when there was no war.  I served for 26 years.  Deployed 10 times to various locations around the world for various reasons to include humanitarian missions, peace keeping missions and combat missions.  

Every time there were issues with funding, manning cuts or excessive deployments was when Democrats, as Pelosi put it, "hold the purse strings."

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
4.1.38  Jeremy Retired in NC  replied to  Texan1211 @4.1.36    5 years ago

And when a person who received a deferment becomes president and is NOT the "guaranteed win" we get what we see now - a whole political side pitching a fit claiming he's incompetent because he didn't serve in the military.  

epistte
Junior Guide
4.1.39  epistte  replied to  Jeremy Retired in NC @4.1.35    5 years ago

That is for someone who actually had bone spurs and not someone who bought a doctor's diagnosis.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
4.1.40  Texan1211  replied to  Jeremy Retired in NC @4.1.38    5 years ago

Well, I suppose Biden won't be the one they vote for, if military service or lack thereof is of such concern to them. I don't know if any announced candidates have any military experience.

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
4.1.42  sandy-2021492  replied to  Jeremy Retired in NC @4.1.37    5 years ago
as a veteran, yes Obama's lack of even attempting to enlist, I can see as cowardice.  Much like 99% of the population of this country.

That's a very arrogant view.

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
4.1.43  sandy-2021492  replied to  Jeremy Retired in NC @4.1.35    5 years ago

Because you're the one trying to make someone not receiving a waiver when waivers didn't exist relevant.

KDMichigan
Junior Participates
4.1.44  KDMichigan  replied to  Sparty On @4.1.17    5 years ago
Bullshit! Stop trying to put words in my mouth.

some people have a real problem with creating a false scenario they can comment on. I just went thru this with her when I stated there was gay Nazi's.

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
4.1.45  Jeremy Retired in NC  replied to  epistte @4.1.39    5 years ago
someone who bought

And here we go again.  When you have something you can back up, come back.  Until then your just talking out your 4th point of contact.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
4.2  Trout Giggles  replied to  Jeremy Retired in NC @4    5 years ago

Veterans are losing their medical care left and right.

Now young people coming in won't even get a pension if they put in 20 years. They're given a 401K...which basically means they have to save for their own retirement, not a bad thing in itself, but no more pensions. That means the military will lose valuable experience. Most of these kids will do one tour of duty and call it quits

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
4.2.1  Jeremy Retired in NC  replied to  Trout Giggles @4.2    5 years ago

The military lost valuable military experience with the troop level cuts.  Many units are undermanned causing problems.

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
4.3  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  Jeremy Retired in NC @4    5 years ago

Same here. Except for when I came back  to the world from Southeast Asia. I spent 20 years in  the military from 1972 through 1993 that went from Vietnam to the 1st Gulf War and am very proud of my service, but it was a double edged sword. I suffered from PTSD for decades from things I saw without treatment. I was very fortunate in that I eventually learned to control my inner demons instead of letting them control me. I was blessed with the love of a good woman who held me during the night when the nightmares came. If not for my late wife, there is a better than outside chance that I would have become nothing more than a statistic who put a bullet in his head. A lot of other spouses would have walked, but she did not. Whatever medals or awards I recieved, she deserved them more.

1stwarrior
Professor Participates
4.3.1  1stwarrior  replied to  Ed-NavDoc @4.3    5 years ago

I'll cover your back any day Doc - any day.

Semper Fi.

bbl-1
Professor Quiet
5  bbl-1    5 years ago

A Vietnam veteran here.  68-69.

Some things never change.  In 2003 the US launched a 'forever war' based on lies, fraud and waged for profit.  It would be very interesting to audit the American taxpayers expenditures from 9-11-01 to the present.  I wonder how much of it was simply stolen? 

MrFrost
Professor Expert
6  MrFrost    5 years ago

Not really something I wanted to read on a day like today so I will simply say:

To all my fellow vets and those that never came home, thanks for your service. 

bbl-1
Professor Quiet
6.1  bbl-1  replied to  MrFrost @6    5 years ago

: )

Sparty On
Professor Principal
6.2  Sparty On  replied to  MrFrost @6    5 years ago

Same to you MrFrost and all others.

Semper Fi

1stwarrior
Professor Participates
6.3  1stwarrior  replied to  MrFrost @6    5 years ago

Thanks Frosty - Semper Fi.

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
7  sandy-2021492    5 years ago

My dad was in Vietnam.  Any time we eat out, he has to sit with his back to a wall.  He hates crowds.  If you touch his shoulder from behind when he doesn't know you're there, you stand a good chance of getting punched.  He doesn't mean to do it, in fact tries really hard not to do it, but it's hard to break a habit that probably saved your life a few times.

Mom told that 20 years after he came home, he still talked in his sleep, dreaming he was still at war.

He's never been treated for PTSD, but he definitely has it.

epistte
Junior Guide
7.1  epistte  replied to  sandy-2021492 @7    5 years ago
He's never been treated for PTSD, but he definitely has it.

He might think that he is weak for taking about it or that the treatment would dredge up memories that he cannot bear to deal with. We don't deal with mental healthy very well in the US and people are killing themselves because of it.

People will tell you that they will pray for you. Just don't expect them to do anything to actually help people with PTSD because they aren't going to. I wish that I could say that it wasn't this way but even in the medical community mental heath is treated as a joke. I had a Dr's nurse tell me to think happy thoughts when she messed up a script. She said that she take care of it on Monday and I should just think happy thoughts until then. If that was a cardiologists nurse she would have been fired for her incompetence. 

epistte
Junior Guide
7.1.2  epistte  replied to  Release The Kraken @7.1.1    5 years ago
Wow there really are some stupid people in the medical field.

I've been told things by Drs and nurses that made me look around and wonder if Allen Funt was hiding behind a false wall because I was convinced that I was on Candid Camera. Things that are shocking stupid and even dangerous.

Drs put me on the wrong meds or meds that I had reactions to in the past and then when there was a problem he told me that it wasn't his fault.  Apparently, I chose to have adverse reactions.    I was in the hospital once because of a Dr's mistake and the moron who was treating me admitted that he never treated this condition and showed me the printout where he looked it up on Wikipedia before changing my dosage. 

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
8  sandy-2021492    5 years ago

There was no treatment for decades after he came home, unless you had developed an addiction, which he never did.  He toughed it out, and honestly coped with it fairly well, all things considered.  No addictions.  He has a temper, but wasn't violent, and even the temper has mellowed over time.  No depression.  He's 71 now, and is active, fairly healthy, and sociable and outgoing.  Now, it's mostly the jumpiness and dislike of crowds and of having his back exposed, and those are pretty easy to deal with.

That nurse lacks empathy, and should consider another career.  Mistakes are one thing.  Telling a patient to think happy thoughts - hmph.

epistte
Junior Guide
8.1  epistte  replied to  sandy-2021492 @8    5 years ago
That nurse lacks empathy, and should consider another career.  Mistakes are one thing.  Telling a patient to think happy thoughts - hmph.

I told her what I thought of her job performance and I wasn't popular.  I also ended up going to the ER on Friday night to get the proper script.

There isn't much that they do now for PTSD except medication and either EMDR or CBT. There is no cure for PTSD but you are helped to live with it and they try to help you deal with the stress, the triggers and the memories. They like to prescribe SSRIs but they aren't good for many people and can cause suicides. I am supposed to take Klonipin but many Drs don't like to prescribe because it can be very addictive.

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
8.1.1  sandy-2021492  replied to  epistte @8.1    5 years ago

My sister did a rotation in the VA when she was in physician assistant school, and a large part of her rotation involved treating vets with addictions, often self-medicating for PTSD.  Even in the early 2000s, the focus was on detox, with little attention given to the underlying causes of their addictions.  I'm not sure if that was because the number of vets with problems overwhelmed the VA system, or if it was due to lack of understanding of factors contributing to addiction, but the care just wasn't there.  I'm sure it was worse when my dad came back from overseas.

He talks more about Vietnam than he used to, especially around Memorial and Veterans' Days, so maybe that helps.

I'm glad you got the medication you needed.

Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom
Professor Guide
8.1.3  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom  replied to  Release The Kraken @8.1.2    5 years ago
he started having a variety issues, ocd and maniac anxiety and angry outbursts that were not situationally appropriate

You just described a day in the life of an Alzheimer's patient. Intermittant at first, then at the end, every waking moment.  Has dementia been ruled out?

Sparty On
Professor Principal
10  Sparty On    5 years ago

I was fortunate to serve in a time where nothing that major "war wise" was going on.     Some really bad things did happen, like the Beirut barracks bombing for instance but nothing like others times of war, etc.   Like most Vets i've got complaints but they are VERY VERY MINOR in comparison to some experiences.  

I have known and know many Vets scarred by their experiences.   The one who sticks in my mind the most is an Uncle who served on Peleliu.     To the day he died he could not be around anyone of Asian descent without getting visibly upset.   The person could have been more American than him .... didn't matter ......  he was so damaged by his experience there.   And God forbid you drove up in his driveway in a Japanese car .....

That said the human condition is a strange animal.   One person goes through that same thing and comes home just as marked but never reacts like my uncle did.   Another commits suicide.   My uncle (like others have said here) just did the best he could.   Like most do.    You just never know.

The best those of us can do that didn't experience such horrors is to try and support those who have.   That said there is nothing worse than the person who pays them lip service verbally while they are secretly spitting on them in their minds.   I wish those people would just keep there mouths shut, not lie about caring and just go about their business.  

Thrawn 31
Professor Guide
11  Thrawn 31    5 years ago

In my experience, people die, get fucked up, and many lives altered for nothing. Wohoo OIF and OEF.