╌>

Man sues after his face is mauled by emotional support dog on Delta Airlines flight

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  freefaller  •  5 years ago  •  85 comments

Man sues after his face is mauled by emotional support dog on Delta Airlines flight

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

A man who was allegedly attacked by an emotional support dog on a Delta Airlines flight has filed a lawsuit against the airline and the owner of the animal. Marlin Jackson has accused both Delta and Ronald Kevin Mundy Jr, a US veteran , of negligence after he was attacked while the flight was boarding in June 2017.

Mr Jackson was seated in a window seat while the dog was next to him on the veteran’s lap, according to the lawsuit. The dog then attacked Mr Jackson, leaving his face permanently scarred. According to the complaint , Mr Jackson “bled so profusely that the entire row of seats had to be removed from the airplane.” “The attack was briefly interrupted when the animal was pulled away from Mr. Jackson. However, the animal broke free and again mauled Mr Jackson's face,” the lawsuit continued.

The lawsuit also said Delta didn't verify the dog was trained or met the requirements of a service animal. A police report stated the Marine Corps veteran's dog was a chocolate lab pointer mix. Airlines later made changes to policies for emotional support animals following the attack, which drew national headlines in 2017.

Mr Jackson has continued to endure “severe physical pain and suffering” according to the lawsuit, amid substantial medical bills and an apparent loss of income or earning potential. The lawsuit goes on to note Mr Jackson’s “entire lifestyle has been severely impaired by this attack.”

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Freefaller
Professor Quiet
1  seeder  Freefaller    5 years ago

At least a face value (pun not intended) it would seem Delta and the dogs owner are going to be out some money soon. 

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
2  Greg Jones    5 years ago

Thanks to liberal "compassion" just about anyone can bring an alleged service dog or comfort animal aboard an airliner.

Dean Moriarty
Professor Quiet
2.1  Dean Moriarty  replied to  Greg Jones @2    5 years ago

Yeah I just had a knucklehead with one of those fake service dogs barking in a Hilton in Kentucky on Monday. I had the hotel manager give me a full refund for our nights stay. 

Split Personality
Professor Guide
4  Split Personality    5 years ago

pat wilson
Professor Participates
4.1  pat wilson  replied to  Split Personality @4    5 years ago

Delta is going to be ponying up. I doubt the veteran would have that kind of money.

Freefaller
Professor Quiet
4.1.1  seeder  Freefaller  replied to  pat wilson @4.1    5 years ago

Pat money possibly no, but insurance possibly yes.  Either way whatever he has there should be some sort of financial penalty

Freefaller
Professor Quiet
4.2  seeder  Freefaller  replied to  Split Personality @4    5 years ago

SP thanks for the additional info

Split Personality
Professor Guide
4.2.1  Split Personality  replied to  Freefaller @4.2    5 years ago

Your welcome.

Having said that and not to diminish the 28 stitches he received, it seems like a simple money grab for the victim and his attorney.

The dog owner has some coverage through his home owners or renters policy within certain limits and time restraints.

The Airine is also insured for such incidents.

The last two sentences of the article are typical over dramatization by the lawyer.  ( I also wanted to see proof of the "mutilation" )

One has to wonder how much each stitch will be worth.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
4.2.2  Texan1211  replied to  Split Personality @4.2.1    5 years ago

The airline shouldn't have to pay. It wasn't their dog that attacked the man.

Jack_TX
Professor Quiet
4.2.3  Jack_TX  replied to  Split Personality @4.2.1    5 years ago
Having said that and not to diminish the 28 stitches he received, it seems like a simple money grab for the victim and his attorney.

I think the guy has a right to get on an airplane and not get mauled by a dog.  I know I have that right, I can't imagine why he would be any different.

The dog owner has some coverage through his home owners or renters policy within certain limits and time restraints.

Assuming he carries renters insurance, and/or assuming he carries a liability limit that isn't stupidly low like many people do.

The Airine is also insured for such incidents.

Yes.

The last two sentences of the article are typical over dramatization by the lawyer.  ( I also wanted to see proof of the "mutilation" ) One has to wonder how much each stitch will be worth.

A shitload, and rightfully so.

Jack_TX
Professor Quiet
4.2.4  Jack_TX  replied to  Texan1211 @4.2.2    5 years ago
The airline shouldn't have to pay. It wasn't their dog that attacked the man.

They let in on the plane.

When I buy an airline ticket, I am buying SAFE passage to my destination.  That includes protection against other passengers and their animals.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
4.2.5  Texan1211  replied to  Jack_TX @4.2.4    5 years ago

Airlines usually require an ESA letter for emotional support animals. If that criteria is met, and the animal is behaving, the airlines will not refuse boarding.

Ender
Professor Principal
5  Ender    5 years ago

What is it with the 'emotional support' animals.

They are not trained service animals.

They are more or less pets.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
5.1  Texan1211  replied to  Ender @5    5 years ago

I agree.

But this is one of the results of trying so hard to not offend or repress someone and accommodate each and every possible need or want any individual or groups of individuals may have, that the majority must suffer.

Just a lack of common sense.

Jack_TX
Professor Quiet
5.2  Jack_TX  replied to  Ender @5    5 years ago

They are pets.  No "less" about it.

Tacos!
Professor Guide
6  Tacos!    5 years ago

There are many ways to relax. Something wrong with a stuffed dog or a security blanket? Try meditation, soothing music or (assuming you don't have addiction issues) a cocktail before takeoff. People don't need to bring animals onto the airplane. 

And what about people who are allergic to your comfort animal? Animal allergies are pretty common and can be very severe. Don't the other passengers have a right to fly without being assaulted by your pet's dander?

You never know with animals. People love to say "don't be silly, he won't bite you" but they have no idea. The human won't bite you, but they can't speak for the dog.

Ender
Professor Principal
6.1  Ender  replied to  Tacos! @6    5 years ago

I have seen way to many people just stick their face in a dogs face. Just to be nipped at or bit.

People are idiots.

I have to mark this day down. I agree with people on the right.  Haha

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
6.2  Bob Nelson  replied to  Tacos! @6    5 years ago
The human won't bite you...

Then again....   jrSmiley_19_smiley_image.gif

Freefaller
Professor Quiet
6.3  seeder  Freefaller  replied to  Tacos! @6    5 years ago
People don't need to bring animals onto the airplane

And if there is absolutely a need (blindness and such) it must have the strongest training required to ensure it does its job and only its job regardless of others or surroundings. 

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
6.3.1  Bob Nelson  replied to  Freefaller @6.3    5 years ago

This is the real topic.

What are the criteria - objective, measurable criteria - that qualify an animal as "support"?

How does the owner ensure the animal's good behavior in all circumstances?

If an owner cannot document their proven answers to both these questions, the animal should not be allowed in any closed space (airliner, train, elevator, ... ) or sanitary space (restaurant, ...).

Split Personality
Professor Guide
6.3.2  Split Personality  replied to  Bob Nelson @6.3.1    5 years ago

( for information only )

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
6.3.3  Bob Nelson  replied to  Split Personality @6.3.2    5 years ago

Fascinating link. The site "assists" in obtaining an Emotional Support Cat... on a for-pay basis. Being a bit cynical, I suspect that the site always obtains a therapist's cover.

With such "assistance", anyone can have their pet become an "Emotional Support Whatever"... which is the problem...

Trout Katrix can keep her Emotional Support Peacock.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
6.3.4  Trout Giggles  replied to  Bob Nelson @6.3.3    5 years ago

That's katrix that wants to throw the bird at every body.

I already have an emotional support cat. I emotionally support him

katrix
Sophomore Participates
6.3.5  katrix  replied to  Bob Nelson @6.3.3    5 years ago

If I tried to bring my cat on a plane, its yowling would stress me out, not calm me down.

Although come to think of it ... the peacocks that run around my neighborhood sound like babies being tortured, and they're louder than my cats.  Maybe I'll stick with the emotional support cat after all.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
7  Buzz of the Orient    5 years ago

Maybe someone should start manufacturing adult pacifiers for these emotionally challenged grownups - nice big nipples for use in public places.  Keep the animals at home.

http%3A%2F%2Fwww.helpandhope.org%2Fimage

Or just let them take their teddy bear or blankie with them.

pat wilson
Professor Participates
7.1  pat wilson  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @7    5 years ago

There are people in society that rely on service dogs for numerous reasons:

Seeing eye dogs for the blind

Dogs that calm veterans with PTSD

Dogs that sense and alert their masters of imminent seizures

[deleted]

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
7.1.1  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  pat wilson @7.1    5 years ago

I didn't say anything about those people in society who require seeing eye dogs, or the others.  What I was talking about was the situation of the article - a vicious dog being passed off as an animal properly trained for its purpose. 

Tacos!
Professor Guide
7.1.2  Tacos!  replied to  pat wilson @7.1    5 years ago

Sure, but 1) they usually don't require that other people snuggle up next to their dog in close quarters, like in an airplane and 2) they typically go through extremely rigorous review and training to make sure the dog is not a menace.

There are many ways to treat PTSD and a dog could even be part of that, but I doubt very much that the dog is essential - to the exclusion of all other options - for a trip on an airplane.

katrix
Sophomore Participates
7.1.3  katrix  replied to  Tacos! @7.1.2    5 years ago

Well dang.  Does this mean I need to get rid of my emotional support peacock?

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
7.1.4  Bob Nelson  replied to  katrix @7.1.3    5 years ago

But you can keep the goldfish.

Tacos!
Professor Guide
7.1.5  Tacos!  replied to  katrix @7.1.3    5 years ago
Does this mean I need to get rid of my emotional support peacock?

Well, maybe not. There is a limit to my tough love. I'm not completely heartless. 

Texan1211
Professor Principal
7.1.6  Texan1211  replied to  pat wilson @7.1    5 years ago

I have never seen or heard of a real service animal attacking anyone unless the owner's life was in danger.

This is the kind of thing that happens when we cater to each individual's whims.

Jack_TX
Professor Quiet
7.1.7  Jack_TX  replied to  pat wilson @7.1    5 years ago

Seeing eye dogs for the blind

Dogs that sense and alert their masters of imminent seizures

These are "service dogs", that go through 1-2 years of training and rarely bite people.

They are not "support dogs", which are basically pets and are wholly unpredictable.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
8  Trout Giggles    5 years ago

What caused the dog to go off like that?

Tacos!
Professor Guide
8.1  Tacos!  replied to  Trout Giggles @8    5 years ago

Maybe they were serving lunch.

Split Personality
Professor Guide
8.2  Split Personality  replied to  Trout Giggles @8    5 years ago

too many unknown variables but there is a possibility that the dog was racist

and just did not like the victims looks.  It happens.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
8.2.1  Trout Giggles  replied to  Split Personality @8.2    5 years ago

Yes, I know this, sadly.

Freefaller
Professor Quiet
8.2.2  seeder  Freefaller  replied to  Split Personality @8.2    5 years ago
It happens.

LOL reminds me of Afghanistan, the camp dogs (dogs we adopted off the street) hated brown people (due to mistreatment while on the street) and would lose their minds when one was in our camp but loved white people (cause we fed and were kinder to them).  It kinda sucked for the two brown people that were a part of our unit, but what can you do.

Dismayed Patriot
Professor Quiet
8.2.3  Dismayed Patriot  replied to  Split Personality @8.2    5 years ago
there is a possibility that the dog was racist

or perhaps the man should get checked for brain cancer, maybe the dog was just trying to tell him he was sick in the head...

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
8.2.4  Trout Giggles  replied to  Dismayed Patriot @8.2.3    5 years ago

So the dog was doing exploratory surgery?

Ender
Professor Principal
8.3  Ender  replied to  Trout Giggles @8    5 years ago

I thought I read he had the dog on his lap. If so a dog that size would probably be eye level with the person next to them. With some dogs all it takes is to look at them.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
8.3.1  Trout Giggles  replied to  Ender @8.3    5 years ago

Yeah, the guy had the dog on his lap. It's a lab/pointer mix. I didn't think labs were vicious dogs. I don't know anything about pointers

Ender
Professor Principal
8.3.2  Ender  replied to  Trout Giggles @8.3.1    5 years ago

My cousin has a chocolate lab. He doesn't like strangers. When her son brought his girlfriend home she decided she could get to know him and sat on the floor and got in his face, he bit her.

Split Personality
Professor Guide
8.3.3  Split Personality  replied to  Trout Giggles @8.3.1    5 years ago

Pointers are very stable.

devangelical
Professor Principal
8.3.4  devangelical  replied to  Ender @8.3.2    5 years ago

face to face with an unfamiliar dog is a bad idea. eye contact makes it worse.

Kavika
Professor Principal
8.3.5  Kavika   replied to  devangelical @8.3.4    5 years ago

Sticking your face in the face of a strange dog is a sure way to get bitten. Eye contact can be interpreted by the dog as an aggressive move.

I work with large dogs, (Rotties, Pit Bulls, various hounds etc) all of these dogs have been abandoned or and mistreated, some very very badly. Working with dogs that have been mistreated, abandoned, starved etc is challenging. Earning their trust can take one visit or one hundred visits and from a couple of minutes to endless hours working to get them to be what they were meant to be. Man's best friend. 

Of all of the dogs that I have worked with and am currently working with only one has not come around to being a well behaved and loving dog. I'm still working with Grizzley who is a 95 lb pit bull that was tied to a pole and beat with metal poles for years before he was rescued.

Why in the world would the airline allow a dog the size of a lab/pointer mix to be sitting in the same seat as the passenger...That's a serious problem waiting to happen and it did. 

I've worked with dogs being trained to be service/support dogs for vets and it requires a very long time but it is well worth it since it has helped the vets deal with both physical and mental problems. It's a great program.

Kavika
Professor Principal
8.3.6  Kavika   replied to  Kavika @8.3.5    5 years ago

This is a photo of Carmella a 75 lb pit bull and as gentle as a lamb....Carmella is around 6 years old and was found abandoned and living on the streets. She is doing very well and looking of a ''forever home''....Next week I'll start working with her on a leash, she was/is not leash trained but is house broken and good with kids and other dogs. 

Not a very lady like pose but fairly common among pit bulls. 

On her back wanting her belly scratched.

dave-2693993
Junior Quiet
8.3.7  dave-2693993  replied to  Kavika @8.3.5    5 years ago
Sticking your face in the face of a strange dog is a sure way to get bitten. Eye contact can be interpreted by the dog as an aggressive move.

Kavika, you are right about that.

A dog needs to know someone before a stranger is placed up close in their face.

My take on mammals is, if you have an idea of their inherent behaviour and approach them with that in mind, it is possible to come to terms with animals an observer would not think possible. Key word, possible.

Reptiles, on the other hand, (see story above) only care about 2 things.

1. Are they hungry?

2. Are they pissed off?

Answering yes to either question above makes you toast.

dave-2693993
Junior Quiet
8.3.8  dave-2693993  replied to  Kavika @8.3.6    5 years ago
Not a very lady like pose but fairly common among pit bulls. 

She's cooling her belly.

My buddy used to lay on ice like that.

Ender
Professor Principal
8.3.9  Ender  replied to  Kavika @8.3.5    5 years ago

My cousins chocolate lab is odd. He loves me but he knows me.

When people try to get to know him he rejects them. What actually works is to ignore him.

More or less let him come to you on his own terms, which most people are too impatient to let happen.

Once he decides to get to know someone, they are fine, no problem.

In the instance in this article, the man was sitting right next to the dog, both eye level. Close quarters in those seats. He probably just looked at the dog and the dog was probably already nervous.

As far as trained service animals, I was always taught to basically ignore them. Don't talk to them or try to pet them. They are doing a job.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
8.3.10  Trout Giggles  replied to  Ender @8.3.9    5 years ago
When people try to get to know him he rejects them. What actually works is to ignore him.

Is he part cat?

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
8.3.11  Trout Giggles  replied to  Kavika @8.3.6    5 years ago

She looks like a sweetie. And who's to say what lady like is? You don't want to know how I sit when I get hot

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
8.3.12  Bob Nelson  replied to  Ender @8.3.9    5 years ago
As far as trained service animals, I was always taught to basically ignore them. Don't talk to them or try to pet them. They are doing a job.

That sounds like you're saying that it's up to the random fellow passenger to know how to handle the situation. Is that what you mean?

Jack_TX
Professor Quiet
8.3.13  Jack_TX  replied to  Kavika @8.3.5    5 years ago
Why in the world would the airline allow a dog the size of a lab/pointer mix to be sitting in the same seat as the passenger...That's a serious problem waiting to happen and it did. 

Hence the lawsuit.

Freefaller
Professor Quiet
8.3.14  seeder  Freefaller  replied to  Bob Nelson @8.3.12    5 years ago
That sounds like you're saying that it's up to the random fellow passenger to know how to handle the situation. Is that what you mean?

My interpretation is that Ender is making a general informational statement about dealing with actual service animals and not at all making a statement related to the seeded article. 

Freefaller
Professor Quiet
8.3.15  seeder  Freefaller  replied to  Ender @8.3.9    5 years ago

Yes that is true I had a blind friend who made sure we knew to not try interacting with her guide dog.

Kavika
Professor Principal
8.3.16  Kavika   replied to  Ender @8.3.9    5 years ago

That is correct. They are not there to be pets for someone. They are doing a job and are very very serious about it.

Kavika
Professor Principal
8.3.17  Kavika   replied to  Trout Giggles @8.3.11    5 years ago
You don't want to know how I sit when I get hot

LOL, not going there. But Pitties lay like this even when it's not hot...

Split Personality
Professor Guide
9  Split Personality    5 years ago

Split Personality
Professor Guide
10  Split Personality    5 years ago

Just feckin ridiculous

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
10.1  Trout Giggles  replied to  Split Personality @10    5 years ago

That's dinner

Split Personality
Professor Guide
10.1.1  Split Personality  replied to  Trout Giggles @10.1    5 years ago

I also found pics of ducks and kangaroos on airplanes

beside lots of dogs and one cat.

smh

and miniature ponies in public and on a bus serving blind people.

go figure.

Freefaller
Professor Quiet
10.1.2  seeder  Freefaller  replied to  Split Personality @10.1.1    5 years ago

How's that old saying go, Give people and inch and they'll take a mile

Sunshine
Professor Quiet
10.2  Sunshine  replied to  Split Personality @10    5 years ago

Who wants to sit next to a that?  Hope it was potty trained.

Sunshine
Professor Quiet
11  Sunshine    5 years ago

Good grief...If you need a comfort animal to board a plane maybe you shouldn't be flying or get some pills instead for the flight.