╌>

Roy Moore hits back at Trump in defiant interview

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  vic-eldred  •  5 years ago  •  42 comments

Roy Moore hits back at Trump in defiant interview
The controversial former judge says the president ‘doesn’t control’ Alabama voters, and he can win despite Trump’s opposition.

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

By   JAMES ARKIN

05/29/2019 07:38 PM EDT

Updated 05/29/2019 07:58 PM EDT

A defiant Roy Moore brushed aside Donald Trump’s warning not to run for Senate again, telling POLITICO on Wednesday that Alabama voters are capable of deciding for themselves whether he’s fit for office.

“The president doesn’t control who votes for the United States Senate in Alabama,” Moore said in a phone interview. “People in Alabama are smarter than that. They elect the senator from Alabama, not from Washington, D.C.”

The scandal-plagued former judge said he is “seriously considering” running for Senate again and plans to decide in a “few weeks.”

Moore's recalcitrance comes as Republicans, including Trump, are warning him to stay out of the race against Democratic Sen. Doug Jones. Republicans view the Alabama contest as a linchpin of their Senate majority — ousting Jones in 2020 would give the GOP a larger cushion with the party mostly on defense on the Senate map.

Jones narrowly defeated Moore in a special election in 2017 amid allegations of sexual misconduct by Moore with young girls decades ago. Those allegations emerged after Moore won the GOP nomination by defeating the Trump-endorsed candidate, then-interim Sen. Luther Strange.

Trump   tweeted   Wednesday morning that he has "NOTHING" against Moore, despite the sexual misconduct allegations against the former judge. But, he wrote, Moore “cannot win, and the consequences will be devastating.” That came after Trump's son, Donald Trump Jr., also tweeted at Moore to steer clear of the race.

Top allies to Senate Republican leadership have made clear they view Moore as the best chance Democrats have to maintain the seat.

“We believe most Alabama Republicans realize that nominating Roy Moore would be gift wrapping this Senate seat for Chuck Schumer,” said Steven Law, president of Senate Leadership Fund, a super PAC aligned with Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell of Kentucky.

Moore is convinced he could capture his party's nomination in the face of the president's opposition again. He said some Republicans are fearful that he still has support in the state.

“They know I'll win," he said. "That's why they're upset."

He also continues to deny the multiple allegations of inappropriate behavior against him that were reported on during the 2017 race. “It was fake news then, [and] it’s fake news now,” Moore said.

Republicans have believed for weeks that Moore was likely to run for Senate again. They also acknowledge there’s little they can do to stop him, and that he has a hard-core base of supporters in the state that likely gives him both a high floor and low ceiling of support. Alabama election laws require winning a majority of the vote to secure a party nomination, so Moore could have an opening to make a runoff in a crowded primary field.

Opposition to his potential candidacy has been fairly unified throughout the party. Sen. Todd Young of Indiana, the National Republican Senatorial Committee chairman, had spoken with Trump in recent weeks and raised concerns about Moore, according to two people familiar with the discussion.

Trump’s tweet Wednesday was widely praised by Republicans, who believe the president is uniquely able to chip away at Moore’s support given his popularity among the GOP base in deep-red Alabama.

The dynamics of the race "were different before the president weighed in, but they're fundamentally changed after the president weighed in,” said Josh Holmes, a top McConnell adviser. “I don't think Roy Moore could win a primary before the president weighed in, and I know he can't win one after the president weighed in.”

With or without Moore, the GOP contest appears wide open. Several Republicans are already running: Rep. Bradley Byrne, state Rep. Arnold Mooney, and Tommy Tuberville, the former head football coach at Auburn University.

Each of the candidates face hurdles to emerging from the field. Byrne, the first candidate in the race, had more than $2 million in the bank at the end of the first quarter. Though a potential problem looms: Byrne called on Trump to step aside from the presidential race in 2016 after the "Access Hollywood" tape. Though he eventually said he would vote for Trump and has been a staunch supporter since the president took office, it’s unclear whether he can clear the hurdles of his previous criticism.

Tuberville, meanwhile, has put together a strong campaign team of veteran consultants, but he's a first-time candidate without experience as a campaigner or fundraiser. Mooney, a staunch conservative, already earned the endorsement of Sen. Mike Lee (R-Utah) — but as a state representative, he also faces a battle to prove fundraising ability and broader support.

Leaders of the conservative Club for Growth are watching the race closely and have met with Mooney and Tuberville, who could both receive a major boost from an endorsement. The group opposes Byrne and would not back Moore if he does run. David McIntosh, the Club president, said they had “good meetings” with both Mooney and Tuberville.

“We are waiting to see if either put together a great campaign and raise the money necessary to be competitive,” McIntosh said.

If Moore does run, as appears likely, Republicans' goal would be to defeat him outright and deny him a spot in a runoff. But given his potentially unshakable base of support in the state, some Republicans acknowledge it’s possible he could make a runoff again as he did in 2017. One Republican working on the race, who requested anonymity to discuss internal strategy, said polling had shown about 15 percent of the primary electorate views Moore “very" favorably. This Republican said in a crowded field, Moore would be unlikely to grow his support beyond that.

A second Republican involved in the race, however, said Moore has a “hard-core following” that could put him in a runoff. This Republican emphasized that Trump’s opposition would likely mean any opponent could defeat him one-on-one, but Moore making a runoff is a potentially disastrous scenario for Republicans given the unpredictability of those matchups.

“I think it's a disaster if it's misplayed,” this Republican said.

National Republicans are not yet picking a candidate to back, and the state GOP is staying out of the primary. Terry Lathan, the state party chair, said in a statement that they will remain neutral: “It is up to the candidates to make their case to the Republican primary voters to secure their support.”

The primary, set for next March, is still far away. The filing deadline is in December, leaving plenty of time for other candidates to enter the race. Even as the other candidates build their campaigns, Republicans in Washington plan to bash Moore, if he runs, as unelectable not just for the allegations of sexual misconduct, but for the other controversies in his past, including being twice removed from the state Supreme Court.

"Last time around was a sprint. This is a marathon,” said Jesse Hunt, a spokesperson for the NRSC. “Roy Moore has proven he's incapable of winning a general election, and no stone will be left unturned as it pertains to his background."

Article is LOCKED by author/seeder
[]

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
1  seeder  Vic Eldred    5 years ago

Last time around the Washington Post waited for Moore to win the nomination to release damning information about Moore dating teen age girls and thus helped a democrat steal an unlikely victory.

I would hope that Republicans in Alabama will prevent the whole thing from playing out again.

The obvious question is what happened to all those women who came forward in the tiny window after the primary and before the general election last time?

You mean the Washington Post just discarded them after they helped get Doug Jones elected?  The women simply moved on after the election?
So now Moore says he is seriously thinking of running again. Is Moore so stupid that he dosen't know the Post or some leftist organization isn't going to round up the same stupid women to lodge the same allegations in the next general election?   Are Republican election officials in Alabama so self destructive as to allow it to all happen again? 

Thank you President Trump for giving them all a wake up call!

Eat The Press Do Not Read It
PhD Guide
1.2  Eat The Press Do Not Read It  replied to  Vic Eldred @1    5 years ago

This is a video from a very close friend of Roy Moore, who is not in prison! It explains the South's obsession with "incest" and other common Southern practices.

Or, maybe, not. It may be an appeal to LIBERALS TO COME OUT OF THE CLOSET!

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
2  JohnRussell    5 years ago

Roy Moore just doesnt want to have to get an honest job. Thats all it is. 

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
3  Raven Wing    5 years ago

With his reputation, who would work for him other than those just like him, and he would not want the competition. 

JMOO

Sunshine
Professor Quiet
4  Sunshine    5 years ago
You mean the Washington Post just discarded them after they helped get Doug Jones elected?

Yep, that is what the liberals do.  

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
4.1  seeder  Vic Eldred  replied to  Sunshine @4    5 years ago
Yep, that is what the liberals do.  

Anything to win

Dismayed Patriot
Professor Quiet
5  Dismayed Patriot    5 years ago
“The president doesn’t control who votes for the United States Senate in Alabama,” Moore said in a phone interview. “People in Alabama are smarter than that"

He really is the very definition of optimist isn't he. The only problem is he also thought trying to date teenagers when he was 35 was apparently "smart", so his opinion of that word is fairly suspect.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
5.1  seeder  Vic Eldred  replied to  Dismayed Patriot @5    5 years ago
The only problem is he also thought trying to date teenagers when he was 35 was apparently "smart"

Funny, it seemed so much more creepy than that during the election!

so his opinion of that word is fairly suspect.

I think we agree as to Moore's level of intelligence.

epistte
Junior Guide
5.1.1  epistte  replied to  Vic Eldred @5.1    5 years ago
I think we agree as to Moore's level of intelligence.

Believing the bible to be factual isn't a sign of high intelligence. 

Sunshine
Professor Quiet
5.1.2  Sunshine  replied to  epistte @5.1.1    5 years ago

So that's Obama's problem.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
5.1.3  seeder  Vic Eldred  replied to  epistte @5.1.1    5 years ago

There are some who might jump right on that. I don't think he's here any longer

epistte
Junior Guide
5.1.4  epistte  replied to  Sunshine @5.1.2    5 years ago
So that's Obama's problem.

Was Barack Obama a Christian fundamentalist?

Didn't conservatives previously claim that he was a closet Muslim? 

He sounds a bit like a Unitarian,

So, I'm rooted in the Christian tradition. I believe that there are many paths to the same place, and that there is a higher power, that we are connected as a people. There are values that transcend race or culture that move us forward, and there's an obligation for all of us individually as well as collectively to take responsibility to make those values lived.

epistte
Junior Guide
5.1.5  epistte  replied to  Vic Eldred @5.1.3    5 years ago
There are some who might jump right on that. I don't think he's here any longer

What are your religious beliefs?

Dismayed Patriot
Professor Quiet
5.1.6  Dismayed Patriot  replied to  Sunshine @5.1.2    5 years ago
So that's Obama's problem

I suppose if you're going to desperately search to find fault in such a man, blaming his adherence to unproven opinions of bronze age farmers for any of his unfavorable qualities is probably a pretty safe bet.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
5.1.7  seeder  Vic Eldred  replied to  epistte @5.1.5    5 years ago

Same as yours. I believe in me.

epistte
Junior Guide
5.1.8  epistte  replied to  Vic Eldred @5.1.7    5 years ago
Same as yours. I believe in me.

Those are not my beliefs because if you think that is what a Humanist is then you are very wrong.  

Sunshine
Professor Quiet
5.1.9  Sunshine  replied to  epistte @5.1.4    5 years ago
Was Barack Obama a Christian fundamentalist?

Oh so now you want to change your stupid remark.  This is what you said..

Obama is a self-proclaimed Christian which means he believes in the Bible.  According to you he is not of high intelligence.

epistte
Junior Guide
5.1.10  epistte  replied to  Sunshine @5.1.9    5 years ago
Obama is a self-proclaimed Christian which means he believes in the Bible.  According to you he is not of high intelligence.

Not all Christians to believe that the Bible is to be understood and translated in a literalist manner as Christian fundamentalists do. Most do not believe in a global flood or the 6000-year-old creationist Earth. Many understand the bible to be an allegory and parables to teach an idea. 

livefreeordie
Junior Silent
5.1.11  livefreeordie  replied to  epistte @5.1.10    5 years ago

Per Jesus,  Christians cannot pick and choose what scriptures to believe. That is rebellion against Jesus who is the Word of God and His teachings.

“In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. All things were made through Him, and without Him nothing was made that was made. And the Word became flesh and dwelt among us, and we beheld His glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father, full of grace and truth.”  John 1:1,3,14

Jesus answered, “It is written in the Scriptures, ‘A person lives not on bread alone, but by ·everything God says, every word that comes out of God’s mouth; Deut. 8:3].’”   Matthew 4:4 

"Life is spiritual. Your physical existence doesn’t contribute to that life. The words that I have spoken to you are spiritual. They are life."  John 6:63

So what does that really mean to our daily lives?  in the book of Matthew Jesus provides a dramatic comparison of what life is like when we absorb His words and apply them to our lives vs treating them as insignificant

Matthew 7:24-27

“These words I speak to you are not incidental additions to your life, homeowner improvements to your standard of living. They are foundational words, words to build a life on. If you work these words into your life, you are like a smart carpenter who built his house on solid rock. Rain poured down, the river flooded, a tornado hit—but nothing moved that house. It was fixed to the rock.”

“But if you just use my words in Bible studies and don’t work them into your life, you are like a stupid carpenter who built his house on the sandy beach. When a storm rolled in and the waves came up, it collapsed like a house of cards.” (Message Translation)

John 8:31-32 Jesus said to the people who believed in him, “You are truly my disciples if you remain faithful to my teachings. And you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free.” 

14:15 If you love me, keep my commandments.

14:21 He who has my commandments, and keeps them, he it is that loves me: and he who loves me shall be loved of my Father, and I will love him, and will manifest myself to him.

15:10 If you keep my commandments, you shall abide in my love; even as I have kept my Father's commandments, and abide in his love.

Jesus answered and said to him, “If anyone loves Me, he will keep My word; and My Father will love him,  and We will come to him and make Our home with him. He who does not love Me does not keep My words; and  the word which you hear is not Mine but the Father’s who sent Me.

John 14:23-24

“For all who obey his commands find their lives joined in union with him, and he lives and flourishes in them. We know and have proof that he constantly lives and flourishes in us, by the Spirit that he has given us.”

1 John 3:24

But you must understand this at the outset, that no prophecy of scripture arose from an individual’s interpretation of the truth. No prophecy came because a man wanted it to: men of God spoke because they were inspired by the Holy Spirit.

2 Peter 1:20 (PHILLIPS)

“I solemnly instruct you to proclaim the Word of God and stand upon it no matter what! Rise to the occasion and preach when it is convenient and when it is not. Preach in the full expression of the Holy Spirit —with wisdom and patience as you instruct and teach the people.”

2 Timothy 4:2 TPT

All Scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness, 2 Timothy 3:16

that you may be mindful of the words which were spoken before by the holy prophets, and of the commandment of us, the apostles of the Lord and Savior,  2 Peter 3:2

Beloved friends, this is now the second letter I have written to you in which I’ve attempted to stir you up and awaken you to a proper mind-set. So never forget both the prophecies spoken by the holy prophets of old and the teaching of our Lord and Savior spoken by your apostles.

2 Peter 3:1-2 TPT

Jesus affirmed OT

Jesus explained the Scriptures, "Then beginning with Moses and with all the prophets, He explained to them the things concerning Himself in all the Scriptures," (NASB, Luke 24:27).

Jesus referred to the entire Canon by mentioning all the prophets from Abel (from Genesis, the first book, and first martyr) to Zechariah (Chronicles, the last book, and the last martyr) (Matt. 23:35)

“You search the Scriptures, for in them you think you have eternal life; and  these are they which testify of Me.”  John 5:39 

Sunshine
Professor Quiet
5.1.12  Sunshine  replied to  livefreeordie @5.1.11    5 years ago

Thank you lfd....

Another one of her Christian bashing post, there was no other point to the remark.  Some seem to relish in it almost on a daily basis.

Dismayed Patriot
Professor Quiet
5.1.13  Dismayed Patriot  replied to  Sunshine @5.1.12    5 years ago
Thank you lfd....

For what? Cut and paste proselytizing? Sounds more like he's trying to convince himself it's true than trying to convince anyone else it is.

"Christian bashing post"

Do you consider rejecting Islamic doctrine as "Muslim bashing"? If not, then why view rejection of Christian doctrine any different?

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
5.1.14  seeder  Vic Eldred  replied to  Dismayed Patriot @5.1.13    5 years ago

I blame myself for letting it into the conversation. One off topic comment about the Bible was all it took.

Jim of the Great Northwoods
Freshman Silent
6  Jim of the Great Northwoods    5 years ago

Poor Roy... he's the only (Alledged) sexual predator the Republicans AREN'T supporting. 

That must sting.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
6.1  seeder  Vic Eldred  replied to  Jim of the Great Northwoods @6    5 years ago
he's the only (Alledged) sexual predator the Republicans AREN'T supporting. 

Unlike the dems, who support em all!

Tessylo
Professor Principal
6.1.1  Tessylo  replied to  Vic Eldred @6.1    5 years ago

We don't support pedophiles or child rapists.  

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
6.1.2  seeder  Vic Eldred  replied to  Tessylo @6.1.1    5 years ago

A partial list of democratic pedophiles

Posted on   3/5/2008, 5:42:24 PM   by   altsehastiin

Democratic State Senator Dan Sutton of Flandreau, South Dakota accused of fondling a male page.

Carl Stanley McGee, 38, prominent gay activist, assistant secretary for policy and planning and top aid to democrat governor Deval Patrick of Massachuttsettes, accused of sexually assaulting a 15 year old boy in a steam room at a Florida resort.

Bernard Vincent Ward, former chief legislative aide to Senator Barbara Boxer, self proclaimed "Lion of the Left" on bay area radio, admitted transgressions too numerous to mention.

Davidson County Democratic Party Chairman Rodney Mullins resigned Thursday morning amid child pornography allegations, according to press secretary Jean Carter Wilson of the Davidson County Democratic Party.

Former Democrat Boston city councilor David Scondras is facing charges for attempting to lure a teenage boy over the Internet. Investigators said Scondras had several sexually explicit email exchanges with someone he thought was a 15-year-old boy.

Charles Rust-Tierney, 51, is a former president of the Virginia chapter of the ACLU from 2002 to 2005. On February 23, 2007, Rust-Tierney was arrested and charged with possession of child pornography. He pleaded guilty to one count of receipt of child pornography on June 1, 2007.[1]

Andrew Douglas Reed, 53, a North Carolina Democrat activist plead guilty to a page-long list of counts of 2nd-degree sexual exploitation of a minor. Court records in the Asheville, N.C., case said he admitted that he would "record, develop and duplicate material containing a visual representation of a minor engaging in sexual activity." Scott W. Ballo, a long-time spokesman for various Democratic political campaigns and a former communications director for the Oregon Economic and Community Development Department, was arraigned today in Marion County Circuit Court on two charges of encouraging child sex abuse (both misdemeanors) and one charge of official misconduct (also a misdemeanor), according to the court clerk's office. The charges relate to pornography allegedly found on Ballo's work computer when he was employed by the economic and community development department, according to a person familiar with the case.

Mel Reynolds, House of Representatives (D-Il) convicted on 12 counts of sexual assault, obstruction of justice and solicitation of child pornography resulting from a sexual relationship with a 16-year-old campaign volunteer.

Gary Studds Studds was a central figure in the 1983 Congressional page sex scandal, when he and Representative Dan Crane were censured by the House of Representatives for separate sexual relationships with minors — in Studds' case, a 1973 sexual relationship with a 17-year-old male congressional page.

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
6.1.3  Sean Treacy  replied to  Vic Eldred @6.1.2    5 years ago
s Studds was a central figure in the 1983 Congressional page sex scandal, when he and Representative Dan Crane were censured by the House of Representatives for separate sexual relationships with minors

Democrats gave Studds a standing ovation after he was censured for molesting a minor.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
6.1.4  seeder  Vic Eldred  replied to  Sean Treacy @6.1.3    5 years ago

Not sure if the ovation was for admitting that or admitting his sexual preference. I believe he was the first openly gay representative. Looking back, censuring was a lenient punishment. Republicans rejected Moore, yet dems stood by Studds

Tessylo
Professor Principal
6.1.5  Tessylo  replied to  Vic Eldred @6.1.2    5 years ago

Which has what to do with me saying Democrats/I don't support pedophiles and child rapists?

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
6.1.6  seeder  Vic Eldred  replied to  Tessylo @6.1.5    5 years ago
Which has what to do with me saying Democrats/I don't support pedophiles and child rapists?

What you said was this:

"We don't support pedophiles or child rapists."  And the context of the conversation was clearly political parties

Tessylo
Professor Principal
6.1.7  Tessylo  replied to  Vic Eldred @6.1.6    5 years ago

Yeah, so?

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
6.1.8  seeder  Vic Eldred  replied to  Tessylo @6.1.7    5 years ago

So, it has everything to do with what you said.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
6.1.9  Tessylo  replied to  Vic Eldred @6.1.8    5 years ago

No it does not 

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
6.1.10  seeder  Vic Eldred  replied to  Tessylo @6.1.9    5 years ago

jrSmiley_91_smiley_image.gif

Jim of the Great Northwoods
Freshman Silent
6.2  Jim of the Great Northwoods  replied to  Jim of the Great Northwoods @6    5 years ago

Moore will win. He's got that ultra conservative cred that just drives them wild in Talibama.

Sparty On
Professor Principal
7  Sparty On    5 years ago
A defiant Roy Moore brushed aside Donald Trump’s warning not to run for Senate again, telling POLITICO on Wednesday that Alabama voters are capable of deciding for themselves whether he’s fit for office.

He's right.  

Trump can say what he wants but the Alabama voters get to decide not him or some other talking head in some other state.  

If they elect that POS thats on them.

evilone
Professor Guide
7.1  evilone  replied to  Sparty On @7    5 years ago
If they elect that POS thats on them.

That made me laugh out loud!

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
7.2  seeder  Vic Eldred  replied to  Sparty On @7    5 years ago

Trump is warning them. Alabama needs to have another Republican candidate ready. Dems will be supporting Moore in the primaries hoping they can pull the same stunt, which I doubt.  Doug Jones had his undeserved one term.

pat wilson
Professor Participates
8  pat wilson    5 years ago

Run Roy Run !! hahahahahahahahaha

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
8.1  seeder  Vic Eldred  replied to  pat wilson @8    5 years ago

He can run, but he can't win

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
8.2  seeder  Vic Eldred  replied to  pat wilson @8    5 years ago
hahahahahahahahaha