A Beautiful Duck Tail

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
1  seeder  Perrie Halpern R.A.    5 years ago

I love a duck tale. He looks just like my Fluffy. 

Kavika
Professor Principal
2  Kavika     5 years ago

Ha, what a great story. 

A therapy duck, the first I've ever heard of that.  

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
2.1  seeder  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Kavika @2    5 years ago

I had a classroom duck that at the end of the year, became my pet duck. These white Long Island ducks  are unbelievably smart. 

We love our ducks here, too. Here is a very famous roadside attraction that is on Long Island. He is known as the "Flanders Duck"... 'cause he was from Flanders, LI.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
3  Trout Giggles    5 years ago

Ducks are cool when they're on the lake but I just can't get cuddly with a duck. But that's just me

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
3.1  seeder  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Trout Giggles @3    5 years ago

I didn' think I could and then when you raise one from a baby, they become like a cat or a dog.

JBB
Professor Principal
3.2  JBB  replied to  Trout Giggles @3    5 years ago

You not having had a significant avian relationship doesn't delegitimize other's.

As Perrie noted, ducks are capable of dog like devotion and can be affectionate.

Like any pet, it is entirely dependent on how much attention you give to them...

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
3.2.1  Trout Giggles  replied to  JBB @3.2    5 years ago

I didn't say it did. I said that was just me. I know other people who have pet ducks and chickens

JBB
Professor Principal
3.2.2  JBB  replied to  Trout Giggles @3.2.1    5 years ago

Some birds would really surprised you with their intelligence and...feelings.

They can be really quirky. They are particularly prone to suffering jealousy...

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
3.2.3  seeder  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  JBB @3.2.2    5 years ago

Very true Jbb. 

I had a parakeet who didn't like my boyfriend since he felt that he wasn't getting enough love. Never bit anyone but him. Of course, parakeet bites don't hurt, but it was funny to see. 

Kavika
Professor Principal
5  Kavika     5 years ago

deal+with+it.jpg

evilone
Professor Guide
6  evilone    5 years ago

I saw something on this, I think, last month. It's very cute!

Yesterday I came across a video of three white geese that "protect" a little Japanese woman. 

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
6.1  seeder  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  evilone @6    5 years ago

Can you find it and post it here? I would love that. 

Old Hermit
Sophomore Silent
6.1.1  Old Hermit  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @6.1    5 years ago
Can you find it and post it here? I would love that. 

Perhaps this is the one?

The Four Loyal Geese On Guard For A Grandmother 2:58 min

Even if it's not the specific video Evilgenius was referencing it sure is a cute one in its own right.

evilone
Professor Guide
6.1.2  evilone  replied to  Old Hermit @6.1.1    5 years ago

Yes this is the one.

Kavika
Professor Principal
6.1.3  Kavika   replied to  Old Hermit @6.1.1    5 years ago

That is just amazing....

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
7  Raven Wing    5 years ago

When I was a young girl I had both a pet chicken and pet duck. Both were females, and very lovable. They were both raised from hatch-lings by me, and they were only a month apart. The chicken was all black except for her little red comb, and the duck was as while as snow. The chicken was named Miss Biddie, and the duck was Miss Dilly (her mate was named Daffy).

When they saw me come out the back door to the yard they would both run over and sit by me and cuddle. Miss Biddie doing her little clucking of contentment, and Miss Dilly doing her little quiet quacking, which sounded almost like humming.

They would nuzzle their heads in my hands and enjoy our togetherness. They were both good friends as well. When they walked on from old age I missed them terribly. They were such a loving part of my life.  

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
7.1  seeder  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Raven Wing @7    5 years ago

Great story Raven. I know how you felt when they left you. I felt the same way. 

Kavika
Professor Principal
8  Kavika     5 years ago

We be buds ya know. 

hqdefault.jpg

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
8.1  seeder  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Kavika @8    5 years ago

So cute.

katrix
Sophomore Participates
9  katrix    5 years ago

It's like people who get really large dogs - they don't live long.  But anytime you get a pet, there is sadness somewhere in the future.  It's worth it, IMO.  But then as Kavika mentioned in another article, when the human is old, sometimes the future sadness will belong to the pet.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
9.1  seeder  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  katrix @9    5 years ago

I have always said, if we are lucky, we have wondeful pets in our lives and sadly there will come a day when we have to say goodbye. But it is better to have love and lost than to never have loved at all. 

But when the person leaves the pet, they just don't understand and they really mourn. 

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
9.1.1  Raven Wing  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @9.1    5 years ago
But it is better to have love and lost than to never have loved at all. 

I always felt that the deeper the sorrow of their loss was due to the deeper love I had for them, and the deeper happiness they gave to my life. And it was priceless. 

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
10  JohnRussell    5 years ago

It's nice that a duck can communicate with a little girl like that.  One of the wonders of nature. 

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
10.1  seeder  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  JohnRussell @10    5 years ago
One of the wonders of nature.

Truly! To see the duck laying on top of her was just beautiful. 

Ender
Professor Principal
11  Ender    5 years ago

I had two white ducks when I was younger. Raised them from babies. They would follow me around. Even had a pool for them to swim in.

Unfortunately I came home from work one day and they both had a broken leg. Had to put them down.

Still think it was my neighbor, he hated them.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
11.1  seeder  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Ender @11    5 years ago

When two birds get a broken leg on the same day, it's no accident. 

Bastard!

Ender
Professor Principal
11.1.1  Ender  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @11.1    5 years ago

I usually corralled them up when I left. That day it was really nice so I decided to let them stay out.

He took advantage. Always had problems with him. He was just a jerk all around. Could never prove it was him but I know it was. He even tried to say it was the dog we had at the time which I know was bullshit. The dog liked them and never bothered them. Plus I always put the dog inside when I left.

Split Personality
Professor Guide
12  Split Personality    5 years ago

So the neighbor says, while we were away on vacation, there were absolutely no ducks around for two weeks.

Within an hour of arriving home, eight adult males show up to say hello and look for fresh corn.

An hour later they were gone and our "missing" Lavender Muscovy female arrived with a pleasant surprise.

12 new members of the family !!

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
12.1  seeder  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Split Personality @12    5 years ago

AWWWWWWWWW... too cute! 

Does she let you near them?

She's a big duck, so I wouldn't want to try and get near them if she didn't want me to.

Split Personality
Professor Guide
12.1.1  Split Personality  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @12.1    5 years ago

She's about 7 lbs  ( the males are 15-17 lbs ) with a 3 foot wing span.  ( males have almost a 5 foot wingspan )

We can walk among the adults with no problems.

The babies get to within 2 feet of us presently.

Kavika
Professor Principal
13  Kavika     5 years ago

When I was a kid a real asshole that lived in the area shot one of my friends dogs...Didn't kill it, but it was bad. 

Someone or somebody stole his car and drove it into the lake...Destroyed the car..Never had a problem with him again.

katrix
Sophomore Participates
13.1  katrix  replied to  Kavika @13    5 years ago

My friend was given 5 small ducks from a farmer.  Most were mallards, but one was a muscovey (we called it the dragon duck).  That one was pretty aggressive and nasty, but we liked them all.  They lived on the river at my friend's house.  3 of them disappeared the first year - probably snapping turtles (one of my friends saw a snapping turtle pull a goose under water once).  The others became our pets.  They'd come running up to quack when we came down to the river lot, hang out with us, sometimes swim with us when we kayaked, and we'd feed them.  The dragon duck stole someone's sandwich right off the table once!

Some jackass in an airboat shot the dragon duck during hunting season and broke his wing.  Since he rarely flew, it's likely he was shot while swimming - which is illegal.  The next year the same idiot killed all 3 of them.  I'm sure there was no way he could tell the mallards were pet ducks (I had suggested that my friend find a way to mark them), but muscovies are not native and there's no way he could have thought that was a wild duck - plus it definitely wasn't flying since he broke its wing.  I just hope the mallards tasted like crap since my friend fed them dried dog food.

I saw the airboat idiot on the river the other week and was so tempted to say something.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
14  Buzz of the Orient    5 years ago

If you liked this story, you would LOVE watching the movie "Fly Away Home".  Anyone here seen it?

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
14.1  seeder  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @14    5 years ago

I did Buzz. I really liked that movie! Those were geese. 

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
14.1.1  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @14.1    5 years ago

Yeah, Canada Geese. The relevance is the bonding of the birds to the young girl.  Is that not what the article is about?  Of course I had to guess since I have no idea what the article is about, and had to glean its meaning from the comments.

katrix
Sophomore Participates
15  katrix    5 years ago

Check out birdofpreymovie.com - not related to birds being pets, but it's a great movie about the endangered Philippine Eagle.  I was fortunate to see it on the big screen at the local university a couple of years ago, and it's now available online.

luther28
Sophomore Silent
16  luther28    5 years ago

A pet is a pet and love is love and always the twain will meet.