╌>

Donald Trump attacks Sadiq Khan in tweets over London deaths

Category:  World News

Via:  bob-nelson  •  5 years ago  •  8 comments

Donald Trump attacks Sadiq Khan in tweets over London deaths
US leader calls London mayor a ‘disaster’ after three men killed in separate attacks in 24 hours

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

original The row between Donald Trump and Sadiq Khan has escalated again after the US president called the London mayor “a disaster” in response to violence in the capital, where three men have been killed in separate attacks in less than 24 hours .

Retweeting a post by right-wing commentator Katie Hopkins about the killings, the president said the capital needed a new mayor “ASAP” and that Khan “will only get worse!”

original

Trump then followed his tweet up a few hours later with another attack on Khan: “He is a national disgrace who is destroying the City of London!”

The original post by Hopkins called the capital “Stab-City” and “Khan’s Londonistan” alongside two screenshots of BBC News articles detailing the violence.

original

She wrote: “20 hours in Stab-City UPDATE 2 stabbed to death 1 shot dead Three stabbed - but not dead. Wandsworth & Tower Hamlets This is Khan’s Londonistan.”

A spokesman for the mayor said in response: “Sadiq is focusing on supporting London’s communities and over-stretched emergency services.

“He has been in regular touch with senior Met police officers last night and throughout the day.

“His thoughts are with the victims’ families. He is not going to waste his time responding to this sort of tweet.”

The Labour leader Jeremy Corbyn attacked the president, saying it was “absolutely awful to see @realDonaldTrump using the tragedy of people being murdered to attack the Mayor”.

He tweeted: “@SadiqKhan is rightly supporting the police to do their job while Katie Hopkins spreads hateful and divisive rhetoric.

“They seek to divide at a time we need to come together.”

The US president and London mayor have clashed in the past, including on Trump’s state visit at the start of June.

Trump branded the mayor a “stone cold loser” in a two-part tweet as he touched down in Britain on 3 June.

The Labour mayor then accused the president of “playground behaviour” and claimed he was a “poster boy” for the far-right.

The Metropolitan police said 14 people – including several boys and a girl – had been arrested in connection with the incidents in Wandsworth, Plumstead and Clapham.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
1  seeder  Bob Nelson    5 years ago

Does Donald Trump think he is the President of the United States... or... the Emperor of the World?

Does he really have nothing better to do with his time than to follow Twitter commentary about incidental crime in a foreign city? Seriously?

Tacos!
Professor Guide
2  Tacos!    5 years ago

Seems like any president is prone to chiming in about stuff that doesn't really concern him. Oh well.

This should not surprise us, though. You pick a fight with Trump and he fights back. You criticize him and he will not miss an opportunity to criticize you right back. It might not be petty, but at this point, it shouldn't be surprising. Khan brought this on himself.

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
2.1  seeder  Bob Nelson  replied to  Tacos! @2    5 years ago

Khan doesn't interest me, here.

I'm embarrassed to have the leader of my country behaving like a spoiled three year old.

MrFrost
Professor Expert
2.2  MrFrost  replied to  Tacos! @2    5 years ago
You criticize him and he will not miss an opportunity to criticize you right back.

So he is a spoiled brat playing, "I know you are but what am i!!!!"? Yea, I can only imagine the outrage from the right had Obama acted like that. I mean, they flipped out because he wore a tan suit, throwing insults at allies....holy crap they would have come unglued. 

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
3  JohnRussell    5 years ago

I presume the attackers in these murders were non white. That is almost a predicate for any "concerned" commentary from Trump about crime. They were likely Muslims or other non-Christians also. 

Aside from that , Trump has always obsessed about revenge on those who "dis" him.  The mayor of London has said on various occasions that Trump is not a good man or a good leader of the free will world, and so Trump will never forget that. 

Trump is a petty, obsessive, intellectually mediocre, morally bankrupt individual. EVERYONE knows that, but our "deplorables" don't care. To say this lack of caring is having a deleterious effect on our society is an understatement at this point. 

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
4  sandy-2021492    5 years ago

By Trump's own logic, is he therefore also "a disaster" due to the much larger number of murders which take place on American soil?  

MrFrost
Professor Expert
4.1  MrFrost  replied to  sandy-2021492 @4    5 years ago

Damnit, beat me to it. 

Overview  

• In 2017, the estimated number of murders in the nation was 17,284. This was a 0.7 percent decrease from the 2016 estimate, a 20.7 percent increase from the 2013 figure, and a 5.0 percent rise from the number in 2008. (See Tables   1   and   1A .)
  • There were 5.3 murders per 100,000 people in 2017. The murder rate in 2017 was down from the rates in 2016 (1.4 percent) and 2008 (2.0 percent). However, the murder rate climbed 17.3 percent when compared with the 2013 rate. (See Tables   1   and   1A .)
  • Of the estimated number of murders in the United States, 45.9 percent were reported in the South, 22.6 percent were reported in the Midwest, 20.2 percent were reported in the West, and 11.3 percent were reported in the Northeast. (See   Table 3 .)

So basic math and i'll round down to 17,000. 

46.57534246575342‬ per day, on average. 

Yea, trump should stop talking. 

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
4.2  seeder  Bob Nelson  replied to  sandy-2021492 @4    5 years ago

That would mean applying rules to Trump.

There are no rules.