╌>

Los Angeles Dodgers' Kenley Jansen executes odd play in pivotal moment against Chicago Cubs

Category:  Sports

Via:  vic-eldred  •  5 years ago  •  44 comments

Los Angeles Dodgers' Kenley Jansen executes odd play in pivotal moment against Chicago Cubs
“Not accusing anybody. Not saying anybody’s stealing signs,” Jansen told reporters after the game. “But you want to be also extra cautious. You never know in this game. The way how advanced this game is now, I just feel better for him to go to third.”

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

The   Los Angeles Dodgers   on Friday performed an unusual move during its game against the   Chicago Cubs .

In the ninth inning with Cubs outfielder Jason Heyward on second base and the Dodgers up two runs, Dodgers closer Kenley Jansen struck out David Bote for the second out of the inning. Jansen then told the home plate umpire he was going to balk, according to the   Orange County Register .

Jansen went ahead and balked, moving Heyward to third base. He then struck out Victor Caratini to end the game. The strategy behind the balk was to prevent the runner at second base from potentially stealing signs from the catcher and relaying the information to the batter, according to the paper.

“Not accusing anybody. Not saying anybody’s stealing signs,” Jansen told reporters after the game. “But you want to be also extra cautious. You never know in this game. The way how advanced this game is now, I just feel better for him to go to third.”

He added: “It didn’t have anything to do with Heyward or nobody. Just being a little extra cautious with the tying run at home. You never know. You don’t want to give away location or anything. I just felt like it was a good idea.”

Jansen also revealed that he and bench coach Bob Geren had talked about utilizing the move since spring training and he decided Friday to try it.

Los Angeles won the game 5-3 and Jansen picked up his 20th save of the season.

By  Ryan Gaydos  

Article is LOCKED by author/seeder
[]

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
1  seeder  Vic Eldred    5 years ago

As far as I know this is a first!

Split Personality
Professor Guide
1.1  Split Personality  replied to  Vic Eldred @1    5 years ago

Not a first, in fact the Dodgers have been accused of this season after season, especially at home where clandestine equipment can film the catchers signs

and the staff can then pretty much figure out the pitches. ( Pretty much the same way the Patriot's are accused of the same behavior at home )

The unusual part may be the pitcher notifying the umpire without the head coach or pitching coach ordering the balk.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
1.1.1  seeder  Vic Eldred  replied to  Split Personality @1.1    5 years ago
The unusual part may be the pitcher notifying the umpire without the head coach or pitching coach ordering the balk.

That's what I was calling a "First".  Have you ever heard of a pitcher intentionally issuing a balk?

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.1.2  Texan1211  replied to  Split Personality @1.1    5 years ago

Been a baseball fan my whole life and have never seen an intentional balk.

Use of items such as binoculars, telescopes and video equipment to interpret other teams' signals is off-limits.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
1.1.3  seeder  Vic Eldred  replied to  Texan1211 @1.1.2    5 years ago

For a sport that has thousands of games played every year and is about a century old, it's amazing when you see something new. This is totally in a class all it's own.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.1.4  Texan1211  replied to  Vic Eldred @1.1.3    5 years ago

Yep!

Been a Dodger fan since I was 6 years old.

Never thought I would see an intentional balk.

I was like "WTF is he DOING?"

Just glad it worked out!

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
1.1.5  seeder  Vic Eldred  replied to  Texan1211 @1.1.4    5 years ago

They had some memorable teams. Is it true that Dodger fans leave the game early because of the traffic?

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.1.6  Texan1211  replied to  Vic Eldred @1.1.5    5 years ago

Haven't been to Dodger Stadium in years, as I live in Texas now, but yeah, some fans leave early and some come way late. It is a traffic thing for many.

When I lived in Cali, we would sometimes go down and see Dodger games on Friday and Saturday and catch an Angels game on Sunday. Sometimes we did the same thing with the Giants and A's games because they were closer to us.

I have been to 12 different major league parks and 4 minor league ones.

If I ever win the lottery, I am going to visit every single MLB park and see every team!

Split Personality
Professor Guide
1.1.7  Split Personality  replied to  Vic Eldred @1.1.1    5 years ago

Like I said, it was the idea of the bench coach Geren.

Whenever I saw it before, it meant a trip to the mound.

I've even seen umpires ignore it, which is probably why Geren had Jansen

make sure to get the umpires attention first.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
1.1.8  seeder  Vic Eldred  replied to  Texan1211 @1.1.6    5 years ago

You got to see Fenway Park if you can. You will be surprised to see how close you are to the players.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
1.1.9  seeder  Vic Eldred  replied to  Split Personality @1.1.7    5 years ago
Whenever I saw it before

Oh, ok, I thought you were just trying to contradict me. I know you would never do that! jrSmiley_82_smiley_image.gif

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.1.10  Texan1211  replied to  Vic Eldred @1.1.8    5 years ago

I have been there! My stepmom was from New Bedford, Mass.,(about 60 miles south of Boston) and I spent a few summers there. The first year was 1967-the year Yaz won the Triple Crown. Got to go to 3 games that summer!

I have been to Candlestick, Dodger Stadium, Oakland-Alameda, San Diego, KC, Texas (two stadiums, Houston (two stadiums) Detroit (two stadiums) and RFK to see the old Washington Senators play.

We moved to Texas from Virginia right outside of DC the same year they moved to Texas and became the Rangers. Kind of cool--I was the only one who really knew any players among my friends!

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
1.1.11  seeder  Vic Eldred  replied to  Texan1211 @1.1.6    5 years ago

If you like Baseball and it sounds like you do, iv'e got a story for you. It was a seminal point in my life. I could write a book about it, but on second thought, I'll leave it for another day.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.1.12  Texan1211  replied to  Vic Eldred @1.1.11    5 years ago

Baseball is my favorite sport.

I love to go fishing in the evening and listen to the game on the radio. I remember many a night in the car travelling with my dad driving and listening to game---sometimes it seemed like the Cardinals was the only station we could get from New Mexico to Texas.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
1.1.13  seeder  Vic Eldred  replied to  Texan1211 @1.1.10    5 years ago

You've been around! You've been to as many Ball Parks as Iv'e been to racetracks! That's quite a feat! Then you know what I'm saying about Fenway. 

BTW that year was kind of a stand alone for Yaz wasn't it?

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.1.14  Texan1211  replied to  Vic Eldred @1.1.13    5 years ago

It was a hell of a year for him. Really amazing.

But he had an outstanding career, as his Hall of Fame award proves. He was an outstanding fielder, too. I don't think he was ever a stolen base threat, (could be wrong without seeing his stats)but with his power, he didn't need to be too much.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
1.1.15  seeder  Vic Eldred  replied to  Texan1211 @1.1.12    5 years ago
Baseball is my favorite sport.

Then you must have played the game. That's a conviction I have about baseball. To those who haven't played it's like a game of Chess, slow & complex and belonging to the 19th Century. I had a close friend who thought he would make the Major Leagues. His father sold Ramblers. All he did was play baseball. I really got to see the game thru his eyes.

I remember many a night in the car travelling with my dad driving and listening to game---sometimes it seemed like the Cardinals was the only station we could get from New Mexico to Texas.

I regard the Cardinals as one of the teams with a fine history in the NL. I'll bet Harry Caray was their announcer back then?

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.1.16  Texan1211  replied to  Vic Eldred @1.1.15    5 years ago

I did play a little ball. Mostly just pickup games, though. Never played on an organized team.

I don't remember who the announcer was, but you are probably right.

I know St. Louis had a huge radio network as there weren't really any teams west of Chicago until you got to California and south of St. Louis and east until Atlanta.

TTGA
Professor Silent
1.1.17  TTGA  replied to  Texan1211 @1.1.2    5 years ago
Use of items such as binoculars, telescopes and video equipment to interpret other teams' signals is off-limits.

Those things, particularly any type of electronic equipment is definitely forbidden.  What the guy on second base may see and pass along is certainly allowed, mostly because it would be almost impossible for the umpire to catch it.  The signs repeated by the runner on second could be almost anything.  That system isn't new at all.  Way back in 1960, in his book Baseball is a Funny Game, the late Joe Garagiolia described the method and the steps a catcher takes to defeat it. 

The intentional balk is a new one though, or at least telling the umpire about it.  It may have been done before, probably for the same reason, by a pitcher who's a good actor and made it look like an accident.  In that case, if a professional umpire didn't pick up on the fact that it was intentional, probably none of the people in the stands would either. 

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
1.2  JohnRussell  replied to  Vic Eldred @1    5 years ago

He could have just thrown a wild pitch and then no one would have known. 

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.2.1  Texan1211  replied to  JohnRussell @1.2    5 years ago
He could have just thrown a wild pitch and then no one would have known.

I think that sounds easier than it would be. Bad things can happen with a bouncing baseball. Why take the chance it could allow the runner to score from second?

Freefaller
Professor Quiet
1.2.2  Freefaller  replied to  JohnRussell @1.2    5 years ago

Too much risk in that, ball takes a weird bounce and maybe the runner at second makes it home for a run

Tacos!
Professor Guide
1.2.3  Tacos!  replied to  Texan1211 @1.2.1    5 years ago

Also, that can take the pitcher out of his rhythm and it can be hard to get back into it. Both issues are behind the move to intentionally walk batters without throwing a pitch. Although, I think officially, it was about speeding up the game.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
1.3  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Vic Eldred @1    5 years ago

Smart move.

Enoch
Masters Quiet
2  Enoch    5 years ago

Dear Friend Vic Eldred: Sorry I missed the game.

Baseball is indeed our national past time.

This summer our fellow News Talker Spikegary and I plan to attend a local minor league game, as is our custom in warmer dryer times.

When we belt out a few bars of "Take Me Out to the Ballgame" during the seventh inning stretch, we will give you a "shout out" in between nibbles on a hot dog with sauerkraut and sharp deli mustard (the kind with the flecks of pepper in it) and a cold tall one.

As James Joyce should have written:

I think that I shall never hear.

A poem lovely as a beer. 

The stuff Duffy's Pub has on tap.

A bubbly base with a snowy cap.

Poems are made by fools, I fear.

For only Sam Adams can brew a beer.

Enoch, Calling Balls and Strikes from the Bleachers.

Split Personality
Professor Guide
2.1  Split Personality  replied to  Enoch @2    5 years ago

Say hello to Spikegary !!

Enoch
Masters Quiet
2.1.1  Enoch  replied to  Split Personality @2.1    5 years ago

Dear Friend Split Personallity: Will do.

On both our parts, best wishes for  a great summer.

P&AB.

Enoch.

TTGA
Professor Silent
2.1.2  TTGA  replied to  Enoch @2.1.1    5 years ago
Will do.

Enoch,

Check PN.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
2.2  seeder  Vic Eldred  replied to  Enoch @2    5 years ago

Dear Friend Enoch: I missed it too!

This summer our fellow News Talker Spikegary and I plan to attend a local minor league game, as is our custom in warmer dryer times.

That sounds like fun. I saw a few minor league games in Pawtucket RI. Great times!

When we belt out a few bars of "Take Me Out to the Ballgame" during the seventh inning stretch, we will give you a "shout out" in between nibbles on a hot dog with sauerkraut and sharp deli mustard (the kind with the flecks of pepper in it) and a cold tall one.

I'll be listening for it.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
2.2.1  seeder  Vic Eldred  replied to  Vic Eldred @2.2    5 years ago

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
2.2.2  seeder  Vic Eldred  replied to  Vic Eldred @2.2.1    5 years ago

On a foggy night in Chicago, no less!!!!

Enoch
Masters Quiet
2.2.3  Enoch  replied to  Vic Eldred @2.2    5 years ago

Dear Friend Vic: Deal.

By the bye, I used to go to Fenway Park with colleagues in Boston firms for whom I consulted.

Once I saw Yaz bounce a homer off the green monster.

Good thing we held off on the Narrangansett Suds until after he tagged it.

Here in upstate NY we have a plethora of minor league A to AAA teams and parks to stadiums.

One reminds me of the kind of fields I played on back in the day. 

One, in KS. had tracks through from left to right center field near the fence on the playing side.

On many occasions we had to call time outs while the Atcheson, Topeka and Santa Fe worked its way though.

Those of us in the outfield would wave our caps while the conductor blew the whistle.

Memories are what we have at this age.

Good ones though.

P&AB.

Enoch.

Enoch
Masters Quiet
2.2.4  Enoch  replied to  Vic Eldred @2.2.2    5 years ago

Dear Friend Vic: Harry Carey. Veteran and Venebal Voice of the Chicago Cubs. 

Great part of the game.

Thanks.

E.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
2.2.5  seeder  Vic Eldred  replied to  Enoch @2.2.3    5 years ago
By the bye, I used to go to Fenway Park with colleagues in Boston firms for whom I consulted.

Isn't it a one of a kind place?

Good thing we held off on the Narrangansett Suds until after he tagged it.

Curt Gowdy used to say "Hey neighbor, have a Gansett!"  I think that stuff used to sell for $2 a case.

Here in upstate NY we have a plethora of minor league A to AAA teams and parks to stadiums.

I can imagine. There is also that sleepy little town of Saratoga.

One reminds me of the kind of fields I played on back in the day. 

Have you noticed that they are all empty these days?

On many occasions we had to call time outs while the Atcheson, Topeka and Santa Fe worked its way though.

Lol....I used to play on the tracks when I was very young too!

Memories are what we have at this age.

Good ones though.

That's for sure!

P&AB.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
2.2.6  Texan1211  replied to  Enoch @2.2.4    5 years ago

I loved all those old baseball announcers!

With the retirement of Vin Scully, it seems as if there aren't quite the same personalities today.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
2.2.7  seeder  Vic Eldred  replied to  Enoch @2.2.4    5 years ago
Great part of the game.

And he was good to the sponsors wearing the Florsheime shoes and drinking all that Budweiser!

Enoch
Masters Quiet
2.2.8  Enoch  replied to  Texan1211 @2.2.6    5 years ago

Dear Friend Texan 1211: I so agree.

I grew up listening to Mel Allen (How about that?) and Red Barber at NY Yankees games.

They were followed by Phil (Holy Cow!) {Scooter} Rizutto.

I miss the color commentators.

They did have a way with words.

I recall once when Lawrence (Yogi) Berra got beaned in the first inning of a game against the Cleveland Indians at Yankee Stadium. 

Berra was rushed to St. Vincent's Hospital, the nearest medical facility.

By the top of the fifth inning, Mel Allen was given an update.

These were the days of live broadcasts, no do overs. 

Allen said, "I just got word from St. Vincent's. They x-rayed Mr. Berra's head. Thank goodness they found nothing"!

It was the spontaneous flow that made it such a gem, even in trying circumstances.  

I recall Vin Scully and his unique voice very well indeed.

Thanks for the memory.

P&AB.

Enoch.  

Enoch
Masters Quiet
2.2.9  Enoch  replied to  Vic Eldred @2.2.7    5 years ago

Dear Friend Vic: At the 7th inning stretch, Spikegary and I will hoist our hops beverage and say, Vic, this Bud's for you"!

By the bye, tentatively, Spikegary and I will see each other this Wednesday night (upstate weather permitting).

Enoch, Sader, Bud Weiser. (Winks).

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
2.2.10  seeder  Vic Eldred  replied to  Enoch @2.2.9    5 years ago

Thanks, my friend:

I hope you guys have a great time!

jrSmiley_82_smiley_image.gif

TTGA
Professor Silent
2.2.11  TTGA  replied to  Enoch @2.2.3    5 years ago

Got a few over here in southern MI too Enoch.  Here is one, the Lansing Lugnuts, from back in 2016.  The young man throwing out the first pitch is rather closely related to me.  His other grandpa works for one of the stadium's suppliers.

Enoch
Masters Quiet
2.2.12  Enoch  replied to  Vic Eldred @2.2.10    5 years ago

Most welcome, dear friend.

E.

Enoch
Masters Quiet
2.2.13  Enoch  replied to  TTGA @2.2.11    5 years ago

Dear Friend TTGA: Baseball at its best.

Generation to generation.

This is the taste of America in the summertime.

Great pic.

Thanks for sharing.

P&AB.

Enoch.

Tacos!
Professor Guide
3  Tacos!    5 years ago

This is actually pretty smart. Up two, and with two down, you don't risk much moving him to 3rd anyway. On the other hand, giving up a 2-run homer would obviously be very bad. Whatever works within the rules.

Enoch
Masters Quiet
3.1  Enoch  replied to  Tacos! @3    5 years ago

Dear Friend Tacos: Three up and three down is a Master Sergeant.

Smiles.

P&AB.

Enoch.