╌>

Neil Young Pens Tribute to Elliot Roberts: “We are all heartbroken” (News)

Category:  Entertainment

Via:  buzz-of-the-orient  •  5 years ago  •  8 comments

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

By Rondalnews, June 23 2019

Neil Young has penned an emotional tribute to his late manager, Elliot Roberts, who died this week at the age of 76.

Roberts, who worked alongside Young since 1967, also nurtured the careers of Tom Petty, Joni Mitchell, David Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young, and more. Writing his tribute to his manager via his online archives website, Young said: “We are all heartbroken, but want to share what a great human being Elliot has been,” he began before adding: “Never one to think about himself, he put everyone else first. That’s what he did for me for over fifty years of friendship love and laughter, managing my life, protecting our art in the business of music. That’s what he did.”

Roberts’ impact on alternative rock music has deep roots in the foundations, his working relationship with Neil Young has been documented as longest-lasting manager/client relationship in rock ‘n’ roll history.

Young continued: “He was my best friend in the world for so many years, and he was so happy for me and the life I had found, with Daryl [Hannah], my wonderful wife and soul sharer.”

See the full letter, below.

Neil Young’s tribute to Elliot Roberts:

“My friend for over 50 years, Elliot Roberts, has passed away. We are all heartbroken, but want to share what a great human being Elliot has been. Never one to think about himself, he put everyone else first. That’s what he did for me for over fifty years of friendship love and laughter, managing my life, protecting our art in the business of music. That’s what he did.

“He was devoted to each of his kids from the very beginning. He would fly half way around the world just to see his family for one day. That’s just the way he loved them. He was so happy with his soul-mate Dana.

“No matter where I was in the world, no matter his other obligations, he was always by the side of the stage as much as he could be.

“Elliot was the funniest human being on earth with his uncanny wit and a heart filled with love. You never knew what he was going to say, but almost always a laugh was coming.

“Elliot never thought of himself, always someone else. He was my best friend in the world for so many years, and he was so happy for me and the life I had found, with Daryl [Hannah], my wonderful wife and soul sharer.

“All the words in the world could not express my sense of love and thanks to Elliot Rabinowitz and his beautiful family, who adored him. He was there for all of us.

“When it came to our business, Elliot guided me through every move. Often I would call him multiple times in a day, arguing, discussing, planning and sharing. He was there for me and protected my music with a fierceness. He loved music and managed over the years many greats, Joni Mitchell, Bob Dylan, David Blue, Tracey Chapman, Tegan and Sara, Crosby, Stills and Nash, Tom Petty, the Eagles, among others.

“Elliot loved making deals for all of us, saving our publishing rights, ensuring we were treated well, helping book our concerts, as well as booking the Bridge Concert with Marsha Vlasssic from the very beginning for over 30 years. He made it happen. This world is forever changed for me, for all who knew him and loved him. His memory shines with love.

“Elliot Roberts was the greatest manager of all time.

“See you at the gig, Elliot.

“ny.”

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
1  seeder  Buzz of the Orient    5 years ago

Rwg&pid=Api&rs=1&p=0

L -> R:  Neil, Joni and Elliot

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
2  JohnRussell    5 years ago

Nice tribute. We dont normally hear a lot about the behind the scenes people in the music business. 

Enoch
Masters Quiet
3  Enoch    5 years ago

Thanks Buzz.

This is the kind of article we need more of for the good of this site.

Enoch.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
3.1  seeder  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Enoch @3    5 years ago

I very much agree with you, Enoch, but it won't get much attention among most of the members that are here on NT because the word "Trump" is missing from the headline, and the article doesn't insult anyone.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
3.1.1  JohnRussell  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @3.1    5 years ago

Buzz, there are plenty of articles that are not about Trump that get comments.  But they are usually articles that allow people to talk about themselves.  It didnt surprise me that an article about Neil Young's manager didnt get a lot of comments. 

I dont even think an article about Neil Young himself would get many comments. 

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
3.1.2  JohnRussell  replied to  JohnRussell @3.1.1    5 years ago

I seeded an article about the Wallendas tightrope walking above Times Square. It got virtually no comments, and I posted it about five minutes after the event happened. 

This is not a wide ranging crowd we got here. Unless they can talk about themselves. 

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
3.1.3  seeder  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  JohnRussell @3.1.2    5 years ago

I read it but didn't know what to say.  You're not the kind of member I was critical of - notwithstanding that you post a political article almost every day, you post seeds and articles about various topics such as music and other non-political non-religious matters, besides the fact that you were the first to post a comment on this seed, and are therefore not at all within the milieu of which I was being critical. You have multiple interests and post accordingly.  Notwithstanding that we don't always agree I think you're one of the best members on this site.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
3.1.4  seeder  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  JohnRussell @3.1.1    5 years ago

There simply are not enough members of NT in order to have a wide diversity of articles on topics other than politics or religion.  Because I am the appointed spam police whose job is to delete spammers as soon as I can catch them, I get to see when they occur - I see every new application for membership on this site immediately on occurrence because a flag show up on my monitor, and what I have found is that most who apply for membership check out the site and then just disappear - don't even bother to delete their application.  I am convinced that most new applicants are disgusted by the tone of and language used, especially the insults, in the commentary posted, and then they just go away. 

I have even advocated that Heated Discussions should be deleted. 

Besides few new members, many very good and productive members quit the site - I have lost many of my friends here, and it's not because they have thin skin. 

There are complaints here that there is too much censorship - but I've always unsuccessfully been an advocate of greater restrictions and penalties to clean up the site and make it attractive to new members, but to no avail.  The funny thing is that notwithstanding the many complaints about the moderation, there are as many complaints from one side as there are from the other - In an arbitration both sides never are satisfied together, and if both sides are unhappy with the result, then the arbitration was a success - same goes for the moderation here.  But I am digressing....