╌>

Trump's July Fourth celebration cost military at least $1.2 million - Pentagon

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  tessylo  •  5 years ago  •  26 comments

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

973af590-e89a-11e6-b294-9bc8096ac008_reu   Reuters   15 hours ago  

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The Pentagon said on Tuesday that President Donald Trump's celebration of U.S. Independence Day, which included bringing tanks and equipment to Washington, cost the military at least $1.2 million (£962,927).

Two Bradley fighting vehicles flanked Trump during his July Fourth speech last week, in which he praised American military might despite having himself avoided the draft during the Vietnam War with bone spurs in his feet.

Trump told stories about each military branch before separate, dramatic flyovers of their respective military aircraft.

Trump, a Republican who was inspired to stage the flashy affair after seeing a similar display in France, dismissed concerns ahead of the ceremony about the expense and militaristic overtones of the event outside the 97-year-old Lincoln Memorial, a symbol of national unity.

"The total cost of the Department's support to the 'Salute to America' event was $1.2 million," the Pentagon said in a statement.

In addition to the cost to the military, the Washington Post reported last week that the U.S. National Park Service had diverted $2.5 million in park entrance fees to help pay for the event.

The actual cost for the Pentagon is likely higher, since the Pentagon said funding for the aircraft demonstrations came from the military services' training budgets.

It was not immediately clear if all of the $1.2 million was for the cost of transporting equipment like two Abrams tanks and two Bradley fighting vehicles from Fort Stewart in Georgia for the celebration.

The military did not immediately provide a breakdown of the cost. Simply flying the B-2 bomber for an hour costs about $122,000, according to the Air Force.

On Monday, Trump said such an event would take place in the future.

"Based on its tremendous success, we're just making the decision - and I can think we can say we've made the decision - to do it again next year, and, maybe we can say, for the foreseeable future," Trump told reporters.

The July Fourth holiday celebrates the U.S. founders’ declaring independence from Britain in 1776.

(Reporting by Idrees Ali. Additional reporting by Doina Chiacu.; Editing by Bill Berkrot)

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Tessylo
Professor Principal
1  seeder  Tessylo    5 years ago

On Monday, Trump said such an event would take place in the future.

"Based on its tremendous success, we're just making the decision - and I can think we can say we've made the decision - to do it again next year, and, maybe we can say, for the foreseeable future," Trump told reporters.

Dumbass

Split Personality
Professor Guide
1.1  Split Personality  replied to  Tessylo @1    5 years ago

takes all the fun out of air shows, lol.

MrFrost
Professor Expert
1.2  MrFrost  replied to  Tessylo @1    5 years ago
"Based on its tremendous success, we're just making the decision

Success? Where was it successful? No one died? Is that where we are setting the bar? Looked to me like the crowds were quite small and I didn't see many happy faces in those crowds. 

Lets face it, if literally no one showed up, not one person, trump would still scream that it was a, "tremendous success". 

Snuffy
Professor Participates
1.2.1  Snuffy  replied to  MrFrost @1.2    5 years ago

One photo doesn't tell the entire story. What time was this photo taken and what else was occurring at this time?  Was this taken during the rain and before anything started up? What else is going on elsewhere as this photo is a very small slice of the area.

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
1.2.2  Ozzwald  replied to  Snuffy @1.2.1    5 years ago
One photo doesn't tell the entire story.

You're right, it doesn't tell the whole story.  But it does tell part of it.  Especially about 2 of the 3 Trump supporters featured in the front.

4 U.S. Code § 8. Respect for flag

(d) The flag should never be used as wearing apparel , bedding, or drapery. It should never be festooned, drawn back, nor up, in folds, but always allowed to fall free. Bunting of blue, white, and red, always arranged with the blue above, the white in the middle, and the red below, should be used for covering a speaker’s desk, draping the front of the platform, and for decoration in general.

katrix
Sophomore Participates
1.3  katrix  replied to  Tessylo @1    5 years ago
Based on its tremendous success, we're just making the decision - and I can think we can say we've made the decision - to do it again next year

The majority of the people there came because of the fireworks, as they always do. I've been to several of those myself in the past. That's why Trump co-opted it - for once, he knew there actually WOULD be huge crowds, and this way he could pretend to himself and his base that they were there because of him.

Too bad the narcissist won't pay for it himself next year, rather than bankrupting the DC funds used to fight terrorism, and stealing money that was earmarked for our National Parks.

What a total lying idiot.

Sparty On
Professor Principal
2  Sparty On    5 years ago

Celebrations of our Independence are a worthy cause.    Unless you hate America i suppose.

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
2.1  Ozzwald  replied to  Sparty On @2    5 years ago
Celebrations of our Independence are a worthy cause.

Yes they are, however those celebrations took place earlier and in a different part of town.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
2.1.1  seeder  Tessylo  replied to  Ozzwald @2.1    5 years ago

Indeed.  

Sparty On
Professor Principal
2.1.2  Sparty On  replied to  Ozzwald @2.1    5 years ago

So?  

If Obama or Clinton had done this we wouldn't being hearing a peep about it.

Face it, this isn't about the celebration in any way.  

It's about TDS.

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
2.1.3  Ozzwald  replied to  Sparty On @2.1.2    5 years ago
If Obama or Clinton had done this we wouldn't being hearing a peep about it.

Neither Obama or Clinton did it, or wanted to do it.  Neither did the Bushes, or Reagan, or Carter.  Only Trump requires constant praise to compensate for other shortcomings.

Sparty On
Professor Principal
2.1.4  Sparty On  replied to  Ozzwald @2.1.3    5 years ago

Nah, that's mainly just TDS on display.

Trump could give you a hundred bucks and you'd bitch that it wasn't a thousand.

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
2.1.5  Ozzwald  replied to  Sparty On @2.1.4    5 years ago
Nah, that's mainly just TDS on display. Trump could give you a hundred bucks and you'd bitch that it wasn't a thousand.

So, are you claiming that Obama, the Bushes, Clinton, Reagan, and Carter DID have special military parades? 

Or are trying to make it a personal insult because you have no argument?

Tessylo
Professor Principal
2.1.6  seeder  Tessylo  replied to  Ozzwald @2.1.5    5 years ago
'Or are trying to make it a personal insult because you have no argument?'
That's it.  He never has an argument.  

Sparty On
Professor Principal
2.1.7  Sparty On  replied to  Ozzwald @2.1.5    5 years ago
So, are you claiming that Obama, the Bushes, Clinton, Reagan, and Carter DID have special military parades?

[deleted]

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
2.1.8  Ozzwald  replied to  Sparty On @2.1.7    5 years ago
Deflection and attempted redirects.   

You're the one that brought up Obama and Clinton.  Or did you forget that little fact?

Part and parcel for the average debating skills for that sort.   My points are crystal clear for any with even a smidgen of reading comprehension skill.    So there you go .....

So, you got nothing.  Gotcha, understood.  

Sparty On
Professor Principal
2.1.9  Sparty On  replied to  Ozzwald @2.1.8    5 years ago

Keep trying to obfuscate ..... it's expected ....

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
2.1.10  Ozzwald  replied to  Sparty On @2.1.9    5 years ago

Keep trying to obfuscate ..... it's expected ....

And you keep backpedalling and spinning ..... it's expected ....

BTW, I don't think obfuscate means what you think it means since I am directly addressing your comments.

Sparty On
Professor Principal
2.1.11  Sparty On  replied to  Ozzwald @2.1.10    5 years ago
 ..... it's expected ....

Ah yes, the old PeeWee "i know you are but what am i" technique.    You're intellectually devolving there buddy ...... better work at picking it up a little!

BTW, I don't think obfuscate means what you think it means since I am directly addressing your comments.

Nah, my usage of the word, in relation to your responses, was spot on.

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
2.1.12  Ozzwald  replied to  Sparty On @2.1.11    5 years ago
Nah, my usage of the word, in relation to your responses, was spot on.

jrSmiley_88_smiley_image.gif jrSmiley_10_smiley_image.gif

Sparty On
Professor Principal
2.1.13  Sparty On  replied to  Ozzwald @2.1.12    5 years ago

jrSmiley_78_smiley_image.gif jrSmiley_84_smiley_image.gif

luther28
Sophomore Silent
3  luther28    5 years ago

Come on now Tessy, that only equates to what they pay for three or four hammers and a toilet seat or two.

bbl-1
Professor Quiet
4  bbl-1    5 years ago

$1.2 million.  No big deal.  The parade was a bargain and enjoyed by many.  It cost a lot less than 'the duffer's' golf excursions.  It's the Trump.  Just what it is.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
4.1  seeder  Tessylo  replied to  bbl-1 @4    5 years ago

The actual costs were over 5 million.  

bbl-1
Professor Quiet
4.1.1  bbl-1  replied to  Tessylo @4.1    5 years ago

Does not matter.  Could have been $50 million.  I just wonder how much of it was siphoned off and to whom it went.

livefreeordie
Junior Silent
5  livefreeordie    5 years ago

money well spent.  thank you President Trump