╌>

AOC ups ante in feud with Pelosi, suggests speaker is 'singling out' newly elected 'women of color'

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  sparty-on  •  5 years ago  •  73 comments

AOC ups ante in feud with Pelosi, suggests speaker is 'singling out' newly elected 'women of color'
"You got a complaint? You come and talk to me about it. But do not tweet about our members and expect us to think that that is just okay."

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

The public spat between Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez, D-NY , and Speaker Nancy Pelosi, D-Calif , got a lot nastier on Wednesday, with the freshman congresswoman suggesting that the speaker is "singling out" her and her colleagues based on their race.

Pelosi has worked to keep the Democratic caucus in line, specifically four newly-elected outspoken progressives: Ocasio-Cortez, Rep. Ilhan Omar, D-Minn., Rep. Rashida Tlaib, D-Mich., and Rep. Ayanna Pressley, D-Mass..

width="1" height="1">

However, a feud between Pelosi and the quartet escalated after Congress passed a border funding bill that the four young Democrats opposed. Pelosi discussed the bill, and those in her party who oppose it, in an interview last weekend. She told the New York Times: "All these people have their public whatever and their Twitter world, but they didn’t have any following. They’re four people, and that’s how many votes they got."
Ocasio-Cortez said to  The Washington Post on Wednesday that the "persistent singling out" by the Speaker may be more than "outright disrespectful."

Article is LOCKED by moderator [smarty_function_ntUser_get_name: user_id or profile_id parameter required]
[]

Sparty On
Professor Principal
1  seeder  Sparty On    5 years ago

Pretty bad when Pelosi is the reasonable one in the room.

Ronin2
Professor Quiet
1.1  Ronin2  replied to  Sparty On @1    5 years ago

I think those 4 will find out very quickly that the Establishment can crush anyone. Just ask Justin Amash.

The Magic 8 Ball
Masters Quiet
1.2  The Magic 8 Ball  replied to  Sparty On @1    5 years ago
Pretty bad when Pelosi is the reasonable one in the room.

no doubt...

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
1.4  Jasper2529  replied to  Sparty On @1    5 years ago

Pelosi's not going to relinquish her gavel to AOC and her girl squad without a fight, and she knows that she's got a big power fight coming. 

Sparty On
Professor Principal
1.4.1  seeder  Sparty On  replied to  Jasper2529 @1.4    5 years ago

Perhaps ..... i think the squads bark is worse than their bite.  

Time will tell but i doubt most of the them will even be there after 2020.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.4.2  Texan1211  replied to  Sparty On @1.4.1    5 years ago
Time will tell but i doubt most of the them will even be there after 2020.

Well, even old Nancy admitted that a glass of water with a "D" after it could win in some of those districts.

Sparty On
Professor Principal
1.4.3  seeder  Sparty On  replied to  Texan1211 @1.4.2    5 years ago

Lol ... she's one to talk considering her district.

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
1.4.4  Jasper2529  replied to  Texan1211 @1.4.2    5 years ago
Well, even old Nancy admitted that a glass of water with a "D" after it could win in some of those districts.

True. That's how she always wins her district. As for AOC's historically D district ...

Even in the most competitive races Tuesday, more than 80 percent of eligible voters stayed home .

In the race that caused an earthquake in the Democratic Party, 28-year-old newcomer Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez upset longtime Rep. Joe Crowley , 57 percent to 42 percent.

But only about 13 percent of registered Democrats turned out to vote in the 14th Congressional District that takes in parts of Queens and the Bronx, according to a preliminary city Board of Elections tally.

There are 214,750 active registered Democratic voters in the district. Only 27,744 voted, and Ocasio-Cortez won by more than 4,000 votes.

Winning by about 4,000 votes is hardly an "earthquake" when 80% of the district didn't even bother to vote!

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.4.5  Texan1211  replied to  Jasper2529 @1.4.4    5 years ago

I am sure the point will be made that turnout was so low in that Democratic district because of voter suppression and closing down voting places.

LMAO!

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
2  JohnRussell    5 years ago

It's comical to watch our conservatives act as if this piffle is the most important thing in the world. 

Sparty On
Professor Principal
2.1  seeder  Sparty On  replied to  JohnRussell @2    5 years ago

Lol ... you consider this "piffle" John?

I'll remember that when you post your next partisan driven fluff piece.

And by the way, you appear to be the only one calling it the most important thing in the world.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
2.2  Texan1211  replied to  JohnRussell @2    5 years ago
It's comical to watch our conservatives act as if this piffle is the most important thing in the world.

Wow, for someone who has seemingly convinced the world that it is ending as we know it all because of Donald Trump, that is simply freaking hilarious!

Sunshine
Professor Quiet
2.5  Sunshine  replied to  JohnRussell @2    5 years ago
It's comical to watch

Shouldn't you be saving America from Trump one seed at a time? jrSmiley_10_smiley_image.gif

The Magic 8 Ball
Masters Quiet
3  The Magic 8 Ball    5 years ago
specifically four newly-elected outspoken progressives: Ocasio-Cortez, Rep. Ilhan Omar, D-Minn., Rep. Rashida Tlaib, D-Mich., and Rep. Ayanna Pressley, D-Mass..

the prog squad showed up to the party a little too late.

this country is just about done with the progressive bs.

Sparty On
Professor Principal
3.1  seeder  Sparty On  replied to  The Magic 8 Ball @3    5 years ago

Lol .... the progressive squad?

Well named by whoever coined it.

The Magic 8 Ball
Masters Quiet
3.1.1  The Magic 8 Ball  replied to  Sparty On @3.1    5 years ago
the progressive squad?

"prog squad"

jrSmiley_100_smiley_image.jpg

Sunshine
Professor Quiet
5  Sunshine    5 years ago

You better not upset the Queen because heads will roll.

Some have to learn the hard way.

btw Sparty, good looking platoon! 

Sparty On
Professor Principal
5.1  seeder  Sparty On  replied to  Sunshine @5    5 years ago

Thx, hard to believe we were ever that young.

Sunshine
Professor Quiet
5.1.1  Sunshine  replied to  Sparty On @5.1    5 years ago

When I look at my old pics I think who is that person? jrSmiley_4_smiley_image.png

PJ
Masters Quiet
5.1.2  PJ  replied to  Sparty On @5.1    5 years ago

What does how fucking old you are have to do with the topic? 

Texan1211
Professor Principal
5.1.3  Texan1211  replied to  PJ @5.1.2    5 years ago
What does how fucking old you are have to do with the topic?

Why so upset?

jrSmiley_5_smiley_image.png

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
5.1.4  Vic Eldred  replied to  PJ @5.1.2    5 years ago

The seeder/author gets to decide on the parameters of the topic.

PJ
Masters Quiet
5.1.5  PJ  replied to  Texan1211 @5.1.3    5 years ago

Dude - i put you on ignore so why can I still see your comments.  Now I'm forced to respond! UGH

I'm not upset.  I'm simply pointing out that him having my comment deleted based on it not being on topic was just bullshit to manipulate and control the conversation. 

PJ
Masters Quiet
5.1.6  PJ  replied to  Vic Eldred @5.1.4    5 years ago

He went outside the "parameters" that he set.  So he's not deciding but rather manipulating the conversation.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
5.1.7  Vic Eldred  replied to  PJ @5.1.6    5 years ago
He went outside the "parameters" that he set.

I don't recall him saying that remembrance was off-topic?  Please show me where?

Texan1211
Professor Principal
5.1.8  Texan1211  replied to  PJ @5.1.5    5 years ago
Dude - i put you on ignore so why can I still see your comments. Now I'm forced to respond! UGH

Come on, dudette--you are a strong, modern woman. People can't force you to respond! Stand UP! Be stronger!

I'm not upset. I'm simply pointing out that him having my comment deleted based on it not being on topic was just bullshit to manipulate and control the conversation.

Hmmm, I keep rereading your post #5.1.2 and can't find a thing about prior posts being deleted in it. Where did you point out what you now claim you did?

Sadly, this does not seem to cover it at all:

"What does how fucking old you are have to do with the topic?"

PJ
Masters Quiet
5.1.9  PJ  replied to  Vic Eldred @5.1.7    5 years ago

jrSmiley_80_smiley_image.gif what a stretch. 

Since he is not on line and monitoring his own article and you have stepped up to be his spokesman please list in detail what he will be considering on and off topic.

PJ
Masters Quiet
5.1.10  PJ  replied to  Texan1211 @5.1.8    5 years ago

I can't play anymore.  I have to clean my house.  My parents are visiting this weekend.  I'll be back later to school you.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
5.1.11  Vic Eldred  replied to  PJ @5.1.9    5 years ago

I keep telling you - that is his prerogative.

jrSmiley_100_smiley_image.jpg

Texan1211
Professor Principal
5.1.12  Texan1211  replied to  PJ @5.1.10    5 years ago
I can't play anymore. I have to clean my house. My parents are visiting this weekend. I'll be back later to school you.

Oh, the sheer joy of it all!!

What time?

I wouldn't want to miss a second of the hilarity!

katrix
Sophomore Participates
6  katrix    5 years ago
But do not tweet about our members and expect us to think that that is just okay

Pelosi has a point. Just because Trump tweets whenever he's upset doesn't mean it is how a politician should behave. If you're a public figure, your use of social media should be professional.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
6.1  Vic Eldred  replied to  katrix @6    5 years ago

Reminding this crew that Trump is the ultimate target of all democrats isn't going to work. These new members have no self discipline or respect for authority. The rep from Minnesota came here from one of the poorest failed states on earth, acquired American citizenship then was elected to the US House of Representatives and now routinely denounces the United States. I don't thing Pelosi using Trump to unify them behind her is going to work, do you?

katrix
Sophomore Participates
6.1.1  katrix  replied to  Vic Eldred @6.1    5 years ago
I don't thing Pelosi using Trump to unify them behind her is going to work, do you?

No, I don't. Granted, I don't like either political party, and how both are all about their power, and how the majority leaders force everyone to toe their line, but these four are inexperienced and they don't seem to be thinking things through.

They remind me in a way of the tea party. And it did work for the tea party folks, so ... who knows how this will turn out. I think they're making a mistake, though. Most people don't want the democratic party driven far to the left. But again ... thinking of how it went for the tea party .... you just never know.

PJ
Masters Quiet
6.1.2  PJ  replied to  katrix @6.1.1    5 years ago

They have let their popularity among their base seduce them into thinking they are more powerful then they are.

Their actions and comments are only helping trump. 

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
6.1.3  Vic Eldred  replied to  katrix @6.1.1    5 years ago
They remind me in a way of the tea party. And it did work for the tea party folks, so

Ya, I guess John Boehner's hair turned grey with them, but then again they never called him a "racist!"  Pelosi won't have Obama's IRS to destroy here opposition either.

TᵢG
Professor Principal
6.1.4  TᵢG  replied to  katrix @6.1.1    5 years ago
I don't like either political party, and how both are all about their power, and how the majority leaders force everyone to toe their line, …

How dare you not take a side but rather criticize and support as you see things?   You will be accused of being a 'normalizer'.

katrix
Sophomore Participates
6.1.5  katrix  replied to  PJ @6.1.2    5 years ago
They have let their popularity among their base seduce them into thinking they are more powerful then they are.

Exactly.

katrix
Sophomore Participates
6.1.6  katrix  replied to  TᵢG @6.1.4    5 years ago
How dare you not take a side but rather criticize and support as you see things? 

Heh! I'm sure I'll still get called a liberal when I talk about some topics, and a conservative when I talk about other topics.

TᵢG
Professor Principal
6.1.7  TᵢG  replied to  katrix @6.1.6    5 years ago

The conservatives on NT (I am convinced) think I am a liberal.   Some liberals here have referred to me as a conservative.   

Generally, since I am socially liberal and fiscally conservative, I will no doubt appear more liberal than conservative based on what we discuss here.   I certainly have far more disagreements with conservatives on NT but most of that is a result of my religious views.

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
6.1.8  sandy-2021492  replied to  TᵢG @6.1.7    5 years ago

I've had people get insulting when I've told them I am an independent.  Same as you - social liberal, fiscal conservative.

Sunshine
Professor Quiet
6.2  Sunshine  replied to  katrix @6    5 years ago
If you're a public figure, your use of social media should be professional.

Pelosi is not the prime example of professionalism.  She has called many of her opponents and Americans racist, Nazi's, deplorables, etc.

She is only upset because the four are airing the dirty laundry for all to see and it looks bad for her.  I don't think she had any problems with them using social media for anti-Semitic remarks or the TDS rantings.

Tacos!
Professor Guide
7  Tacos!    5 years ago
Speaker Is 'Singling Out' Newly Elected 'Women Of Color'

They have been very efficient at singling themselves out, and not to their benefit. They have no one to blame but themselves.

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
8  Sean Treacy    5 years ago

Playing the race card against Pelosi...

she's been pushing identity politics for years, funny to see it turn on her.

The Magic 8 Ball
Masters Quiet
8.1  The Magic 8 Ball  replied to  Sean Treacy @8    5 years ago
Playing the race card against Pelosi... she's been pushing identity politics for years, funny to see it turn on her.

It is a happy circumstance in human affairs that evils which are not cured in one way will cure themselves in some other.   - Thomas Jefferson -

It Is ME
Masters Guide
10  It Is ME    5 years ago

This is gonna be better than the "Superbowl" (Patriots Fan)…… and that's saying bunches for me.

Sparty On
Professor Principal
11  seeder  Sparty On    5 years ago

[deleted]