╌>

Berkeley Bans Word ‘Manhole,’ Will Now Be Called ‘Maintenance Holes’

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  badfish-hd-h-u  •  5 years ago  •  61 comments

Berkeley Bans Word ‘Manhole,’ Will Now Be Called ‘Maintenance Holes’

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

Welcome to moonbat utopia.

Via   SF Gate :

At a Tuesday night city council meeting, Berkeley became the first city in America to ban the use of natural gas piping in new construction. But that was not the only utility-related issue they saw fit to attend to. No, there was another matter on deck: Eliminating the gendered connotations of words like “manhole” in the city municipal code.

No longer will the streets of fair Berkeley be dotted with manholes, nary a womanhole or nonbinaryhole in sight. With Tuesday night’s vote, they have all been transmuted into “maintenance holes,” that highest, hardest glass manhole-cover finally shattered.

The item, originally on the council agenda for March 12, was sponsored by councilmembers Rigel Robinson, Cheryl Davila, Ben Bartlett and Lori Droste, reports Berkeleyside. The ordinance eliminates all gendered pronouns from the city code, replacing “she” and “he” with “they.”

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
2  Ed-NavDoc    5 years ago

What a bunch of unmitigated horse manure! But what else could be expected from the bastion of progressive leftist liberal insanity that is Berkley?

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
2.2  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Ed-NavDoc @2    5 years ago

Manhattan is to be renamed Personhattan.  The word "manufacture" from now on is "humanfacture". "Manitoulan Island" must now be called "Inclusivetoulan Island".  I could go on all day with this ignorant idiocy.

dave-2693993
Junior Quiet
2.2.1  dave-2693993  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @2.2    5 years ago

LOL, well there was one name change I agreed with.

Back when I returned to the world in the later 70s, when you came down route 90 passing by Ocean Pines on your way to Ocean City Maryland at the time you crossed a bridge across a "bay" called Assawoman bay. True story. There I am driving some pretty girl in my F250 they see that sign and instantly "WTF is this?" pops up.

They eventually changed the name of that bay. Thank goodness.

Kathleen may remember this...?

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
2.2.2  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  dave-2693993 @2.2.1    5 years ago

Well, that name could be considered insulting so IMO nothing wrong with changing it.  My examples were based on overzealous gender identification madness - an example of the idiocy that is starting to move from sublime to ridiculous.

dave-2693993
Junior Quiet
2.2.3  dave-2693993  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @2.2.2    5 years ago
My examples were based on overzealous gender identification madness - an example of the idiocy that is starting to move from sublime to ridiculous.

I understand and I agree.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
3  JohnRussell    5 years ago

All you butt hurt "conservatives". Dont be afraid, it will be over one day. People will say 'maintenance hole' and even you wont bat an eye. 

There is nothing 'wrong' with gender neutral language. You just can't imagine it. 

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
3.3  Jasper2529  replied to  JohnRussell @3    5 years ago
There is nothing 'wrong' with gender neutral language.

This means that you condone government and academia controlling language. How 1984 of you!

Tacos!
Professor Guide
5  Tacos!    5 years ago

Maybe we can get a bunch of women out there to lift those covers and go work in the spaces underneath. What, no volunteers?

Considering that over the many years we have had these things, it's almost always 100% men working with them, it doesn't seem unreasonable that we have been calling them manholes.

Sunshine
Professor Quiet
6  Sunshine    5 years ago

Berkeley has become a bunch of man-iacs....haha.

The Old Breed Marine
Freshman Silent
7  The Old Breed Marine    5 years ago

Nope, this doesn't go far enough...

They should have renamed them "woman-holes"!

charger 383
Professor Silent
8  charger 383    5 years ago

wait until they get to pipe threads

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
9  Jeremy Retired in NC    5 years ago

I'll play "that guy" for this one. 

How about we start calling them "Maintenance Holes" when we see more WOMEN going down them to perform maintenance?

The Old Breed Marine
Freshman Silent
10  The Old Breed Marine    5 years ago

Is it too late to suggest the name "glory hole"?

Asking for a friend...

Krishna
Professor Expert
11  Krishna    5 years ago

The person that delivers your mail will now be called a "personperson". 

Bbecause "mail" is obviously sexist, as is "man").

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
11.1  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Krishna @11    5 years ago

No more "Ladies and Gentlemen" to be said at speeches - just "Hey you guys, listen up."

What will they call manna from heaven?  That'll be the day China will rename its predominant language to "Persondarin"?  I'm sure they can't stop laughing at Americans.

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
12  Jasper2529    5 years ago

No matter how hard the moonbats try, they'll find that it's impossible for a singular pronoun (identity) to miraculously morph into a plural pronoun (identity).

Since they're hellbent on removing male references to everything, I'd like to know what their alternatives are to replace Manhattan, mantle, Manchester, manicure, manatee, Manila, management, Mandarin, mantilla, manure, and mannequin.

These people are as loony and myopic as the plastic straw loons are.

Nerm_L
Professor Expert
13  Nerm_L    5 years ago

Just more pie hole politics.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
14  Texan1211    5 years ago

THIS is the typical kind of crap that matters to moonbats.

Sad.

Sunshine
Professor Quiet
14.2  Sunshine  replied to  Texan1211 @14    5 years ago
THIS is the typical kind of crap

Yep, they are full of manure. 

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
14.3  JohnRussell  replied to  Texan1211 @14    5 years ago

I dont see any evidence at the city council meeting that this was considered a big deal. It was probably very routine. 

On NT and other right wing gathering places it is a big deal.   Big deal. 

Texan1211
Professor Principal
14.3.1  Texan1211  replied to  JohnRussell @14.3    5 years ago

Routine?

WTF is routine about such a freaking ASININE proposal?

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
16  Jasper2529    5 years ago

“But if thought corrupts language, language can also corrupt thought.” 
―  George Orwell,   1984

“It's a beautiful thing, the destruction of words.” 
―  George Orwell,   1984