╌>

My 101 year old Grandma's potato salad recipe

Category:  Wine & Food

By:  gregtx  •  5 years ago  •  12 comments

My 101 year old Grandma's potato salad recipe

Boil 4-5 large potatoes with jackets on till fork done. Let cool then peel and cube, My mom and Mammaw do about 1" cubes, but I like to make 'em a little bit bigger.

Then add 1 medium chopped onion, about 2-3 chopped good sized dill pickles, 3-4 diced boiled eggs, 1 medium chopped bell pepper and 1 small jar of diced pimentos.

Add mustard and mayo to moisten and taste. More mayo than mustard. Also a little pickle juice adds flavor. My mom and grandma add about 1/4 cup sugar as do I depending on what I'm serving it with. It's actually better the next day so prep a day ahead.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
1  Raven Wing    5 years ago

That sounds delicious! Potato salad is my primary favorite salad. In the summer there is nothing finer then a nice dish of potato salad. I like mustard in mine with not so much mayo. I use plain yogurt in place of the mayo. I use Kosher dill pickles as I don't like sweet pickles, but, that is a individual choice. 

I found that using white potatoes instead of Russets make for firmer potatoes that don't tend to get wimpy or soggy after a while. And they have more of a potato taste for me than Russets.

Thanks for sharing your recipe. Hard to go wrong with potato salad. jrSmiley_79_smiley_image.gif

MrFrost
Professor Expert
1.1  MrFrost  replied to  Raven Wing @1    5 years ago
I like mustard in mine with not so much mayo. I use plain yogurt in place of the mayo

I like you less now... LOL (just kidding) 

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
1.1.1  Raven Wing  replied to  MrFrost @1.1    5 years ago

jrSmiley_20_smiley_image.gif

GregTx
PhD Guide
1.2  author  GregTx  replied to  Raven Wing @1    5 years ago

Yes I leave out or at least cut way back on the sugar, like a tbsp, and go heavier on the mustard if it's a side for say smoked brisket but go the opposite if it's a side for something like pulled pork sandwiches or maybe catfish.

MrFrost
Professor Expert
1.2.1  MrFrost  replied to  GregTx @1.2    5 years ago

Well said Greg... I have a hard time with the mustard.. I like it, but too much puts me off. I have to be careful with the sugar as well...but in the end, I will cover the mustard with mayo... It's a fine balance for sure... 

MrFrost
Professor Expert
2  MrFrost    5 years ago
1 small jar of diced pimentos.

This.... perfect. Thanks for this Greg.. Excellent! 

My prob with tater salad is that I always over cook them taters and they turn to mush... 

Your Memaw's recipe is far better than mine which is taters, eggs, mayo, mustard and onions, (uncooked). 

And please, give that woman a hug from me. 

GregTx
PhD Guide
2.1  author  GregTx  replied to  MrFrost @2    5 years ago

I will if I can catch her!

MrFrost
Professor Expert
2.1.1  MrFrost  replied to  GregTx @2.1    5 years ago

LOL

Yea, I had a great grandma...111 years old... But she wasn't so nice at the end... Love her though...

In any case, my respect for passing this along, it's great, I am going to try it out tomorrow.. :)

MrFrost
Professor Expert
3  MrFrost    5 years ago

I used Idaho reds, with skins on, personally. Mostly because I hate to peel taters... But red taters are, IMHO the best. 

MrFrost
Professor Expert
4  MrFrost    5 years ago
Also a little pickle juice adds flavor

True... 

My Mom, (may she rest), always did this too, but to me it made it too sour. Just my personal opinion of course..

I know German tater salad used pickles and the juice as well... It's good, but a tad much for me. 

If I may offer a suggestion?

I can buy this in the local grocery store, it's perfect for tater salad. I also use it on eggs... 

They have several different blends but I just use the regular "seasoned salt".....

MrFrost
Professor Expert
5  MrFrost    5 years ago

Thanks for this Greg...excellent idea. I will try it tomorrow. :) 

Now I must rest. 

GregTx
PhD Guide
5.1  author  GregTx  replied to  MrFrost @5    5 years ago

Thanks Mr.Frost. I hope you enjoy it.