Why the federal government spent $3 million to study lesbian obesity

Via:  kdmichigan  •  2 months ago  •  76 comments

he ongoing National Institutes of Health study, now in its fourth year and scheduled to last another two, has cost about $3 million to date, the Washington Free Beacon reported in a recent article. A summary of the research project said that nearly three-quarters of lesbians are overweight or obese. The rate is 25 percent higher than heterosexual females and almost “double the obesity risk of gay men,” the summary said.

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

The federal government spent millions of dollars in recent years researching why lesbians have a higher obesity rate than heterosexual women and gay men, according to funding records.
The ongoing National Institutes of Health study, now in its fourth year and scheduled to last another two, has cost about $3 million to date, the Washington Free Beacon reported in a recent article.
A summary of the research project said that nearly three-quarters of lesbians are overweight or obese. The rate is 25 percent higher than heterosexual females and almost “double the obesity risk of gay men,” the summary said.
The researchers, led by an epidemiologist at Brigham and Women’s Hospital in Boston, have already concluded that lower athletic self-esteem among lesbians may lead to higher rates of obesity and that lesbians are more likely to see themselves at a healthy weight when they are not, according to the Free Beacon report.

Researchers have also determined that gay and bisexual males had a “greater desire for toned muscles” than straight men. This apparently helps explain why gay men are generally more fit than lesbians.
By now, you’re probably wondering why the government is funding a study that, so far, has largely reinforced stereotypes of gays and lesbians. The project summary says that “racial and socioeconomic disparities are receiving increasing attention” and lesbian obesity is “of high public-health significance.”
The study of lesbian obesity has grabbed the attention of budget watchers, but it’s an easier sell than many of the federal government’s other science projects, since it directly involves a public health concern.
Every now and then, budget hawks highlight federally funded research projects that seem to have no clear benefit except to satisfy scientific curiosity.

Sen. Tom Coburn (R-Okla.) last year questioned the usefulness of a government-subsidized study of duck genitals in his annual “Wastebook.” Funding for the $385,000 research project came from the 2009 economic-stimulus bill.
One key finding from the duck study, titled “Conflict, Social Behavior and Evolution,” was that duck vaginas run clockwise in a corkscrew, while the penises run counterclockwise in a spiral pattern. That difference of anatomy prevents ducks from successfully mating until the females are ready, in which case their vaginas dilate and expand to negate the difference.
“The females are enormously, amazingly successful at preventing fertilization by forced copulation,” said Richard Prum, one of the Yale University researchers, who explained the study for a Politifact article.
Another researcher for the project, Patricia Brennan, argued in a Slate editorial that critics had misunderstood the purpose of the study, saying it was not intended to solve an immediate practical problem. “Basic science is an integral part of scientific progress, but individual projects may sound meaningless when taken out of context,” she said.
Brennan said federal funding is critical to advancing basic science, but she acknowledged that the question of whether the government should fund such research in times of economic crisis “deserves well-informed discourse comparing all governmental expenses.”

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
smarty_function_ntUser_is_admin: user_id parameter required
Find text within the comments Find 

KDMichigan
1  seeder  KDMichigan    2 months ago

This is one of my pet peeves, Government waste. Why do we need a government study to tell us why lesbians are fat, or duck dicks for Christ sakes. And i'm sure the person getting the funding will tell you how important the study is but the bottom line it is a waste of tax payer dollars that could sure the hell be better spent elsewhere.

Greg Jones
1.1  Greg Jones  replied to  KDMichigan @1    2 months ago

Well, left wingers swear by 'science', especially pseudoscience like climate change. This funds could pay for several feet of wall.

TTGA
1.2  TTGA  replied to  KDMichigan @1    2 months ago

KD,

Sounds like the study done some years back by Northwestern University.  They spent a quarter of a million dollars to find out why people in the UP talk the way they do.  The conclusion was that it was because of Scandinavian influences.  Hell, I could have told them that and only charged them a hundred bucks.

KDMichigan
1.2.1  seeder  KDMichigan  replied to  TTGA @1.2    2 months ago

Eh.  

Got to love the UP

1. Your idea of a traffic jam is ten cars waiting to pass a tractor on the highway.
2. "Vacation" means going down south past Petosky or Green Bay for the weekend.
3. You measure distance in hours.
4. You know several people who have hit deer more than once!
5. You often switch from "heat" to "A/C" in the same day and back again.
6. You find 0 degrees "a little chilly."
7. You can drive 65 mph through 2 feet of snow during a raging blizzard without flinching.
8. You see people wearing hunting clothes at social events.
9. You install security lights on your house and garage and leave both unlocked.
10. You think of the major food groups as beer, fish, and venison.
11. You carry jumper cables in your car & your girlfriend knows how to use them.
12. There are seven empty cars running in the parking lot at Menard's at any given time.
13. You design your kid's Halloween costume to fit over a snowsuit.
14. Driving is better in the winter because the potholes are filled with snow.
15. You refer to the Wolverines as "we."
16. You know! All 4 seasons: almost winter, winter, still winter and road construction.
17. You can identify an Ohio and Wisconsin accent.
18. You have no problem spelling Escanaba.
19. You consider the lower Peninsula exotic. ya hey!
20. You don't have a coughing fit from one sip of Stroh's.
21. Your idea of creative landscaping is a statue of a cow next to your blue spruce.
22. You were unaware that there is a legal drinking age.
23. Down south to you means south of Da bridge, the deep south is south of Detroit.
24. A brat is something you eat.
25. Your neighbor throws a party to celebrate his new machine shed.
26. You go out to fish fry every Friday at the Elks, Moose or VFW.
27. You know how to polka.
28. Your 4th of July picnic was moved indoors due to frost.
29. You have more miles on your snow blower than your car.
30. Ya actch'lly understand dese jokes, & den you forward dem to all yer Michigander friends.

Freedom Warrior
1.3  Freedom Warrior  replied to  KDMichigan @1    2 months ago

They could’ve just asked me and for a beer and I would’ve told them 

JBB
1.3.1  JBB  replied to  Freedom Warrior @1.3    2 months ago

Why ask you? Are you a lesbian? 

KDMichigan
1.3.2  seeder  KDMichigan  replied to  JBB @1.3.1    2 months ago
Are you a lesbian? 

Is it your posit that lesbians know why they are fat?

Why are you so concerned about lesbians and not the government waste of a study on Duck dicks?

squiggy
1.3.3  squiggy  replied to  JBB @1.3.1    2 months ago

No, but he stood there for two hours with his finger in a dike.

KDMichigan
1.3.4  seeder  KDMichigan  replied to  squiggy @1.3.3    2 months ago
No, but he stood there for two hours with his finger in a dike.

Enoch
1.4  Enoch  replied to  KDMichigan @1    2 months ago

Dear Friend KDMichigan: In the 1960's the Federal Government funded a research study  to see if parrots from South America would speak with an accent if taught English.

Your tax dollars at rest.

P&AB.

Enoch. 

KDMichigan
1.4.1  seeder  KDMichigan  replied to  Enoch @1.4    2 months ago
Your tax dollars at rest.

Well not at rest.

American Tax dollars being spent frivolously.

Thank for understanding the point of the article. 

I don't give two shits why lesbians are fat, or why duck dicks are a corkscrew shape. 

MrFrost
1.4.2  MrFrost  replied to  KDMichigan @1.4.1    2 months ago
American Tax dollars being spent frivolously.

Are you serious? Trump blows 80 million taxpayer dollars on GOLF, but this upsets you? Really? LMFAO!!! jrSmiley_10_smiley_image.gif

KDMichigan
1.4.3  seeder  KDMichigan  replied to  MrFrost @1.4.2    2 months ago

Ed-NavDoc
1.4.4  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  Enoch @1.4    2 months ago

Could not be any worse than, when several years ago, the DOD allegedly spent millions on a study regarding the mating habits of a certain variety of frogs.

Texan1211
1.4.5  Texan1211  replied to  Ed-NavDoc @1.4.4    2 months ago
Could not be any worse than, when several years ago, the DOD allegedly spent millions on a study regarding the mating habits of a certain variety of frogs.

Such blatant wastes of money should piss every taxpaying American off.

Enoch
1.4.6  Enoch  replied to  Ed-NavDoc @1.4.4    2 months ago

Dear Comrade in Arms Ed-NavyDoc: Agreed.

Good example. 

The easy thing is to find taxpayer money either wasted or spent on other than what the nation most needs.

It is somewhat harder to find what works that most needs to do so.

Even when they do get things right (Social Security, Medicare, Medicaid for examples) there are some who want to destroy things because they work. 

When good programs are unfunded debt, there also needs to be improvement in making sure there is money to pay for them.

This is to guarantee that what works can continue to do so.

Excellent work Ed.

You are the best!

Peace and Abundant Blessing (Even when the ponds of our lives are invaded by hoards of horny frogs).

Enoch. 

Ed-NavDoc
1.4.7  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  Enoch @1.4.6    2 months ago

Actually, I live in the middle of the Sonora Desert. Here we have horny toads...

Enoch
1.4.8  Enoch  replied to  Ed-NavDoc @1.4.7    2 months ago

Dear Brother Ed: A business partner of mine in the 2000's lived in Scottsdale, AZ.

We used to camp out in the Sonoran Desert during February. 

Great experience.

Thanks for bringing back pleasant memories.

P&AB.

Enoch.

pat wilson
1.5  pat wilson  replied to  KDMichigan @1    2 months ago

The study certainly is a waste considering roughly one in three Americans, gay or straight, are obese.

KDMichigan
1.5.1  seeder  KDMichigan  replied to  pat wilson @1.5    2 months ago
The study certainly is a waste considering roughly one in three Americans, gay or straight, are obese.

I agree. Why would the government deem it necessary To spend that much money researching why lesbians are fat?

pat wilson
1.5.2  pat wilson  replied to  KDMichigan @1.5.1    2 months ago

Good question.

KDMichigan
1.5.3  seeder  KDMichigan  replied to  pat wilson @1.5.2    2 months ago
Good question.

The study started under the last Presidents watch, Not that the same abuse of tax payer money doesn't happen under Republicans.

It Is ME
2  It Is ME    2 months ago

“racial and socioeconomic disparities are receiving increasing attention” and lesbian obesity is “of high public-health significance.”

I have no disparities in my life, racial or otherwise, and I'm a tad jrSmiley_18_smiley_image.gif over weight. A few marital things, kid things, job things, but nothing to "Dispare" about. Study that....oooops …. don't study that .... nothing to see here ....my bad. jrSmiley_44_smiley_image.gif

I just like food !

KDMichigan
2.1  seeder  KDMichigan  replied to  It Is ME @2    2 months ago
I just like food !

Don't we all. 

It cracks me up that these pro government folks like to have studies of why lesbians are fat. It's quite hillaryious.

†hε pε⊕pレε'š ƒïšh
3  †hε pε⊕pレε'š ƒïšh    2 months ago

Government spends our tax dollars responsibly.

It Is ME
3.1  It Is ME  replied to  †hε pε⊕pレε'š ƒïšh @3    2 months ago
Government spends our tax dollars responsibly.

At least that's what Cory, Joe, kamala, Tulsi, Kristen, Beto, Bernie, Elizabeth, etc.....tell us they can do !

JBB
3.1.1  JBB  replied to  It Is ME @3.1    2 months ago

Except that half those people were not even in Congress five years ago...

It Is ME
3.1.2  It Is ME  replied to  JBB @3.1.1    2 months ago

And ?

Bernie, Joe  and Lizzy were. There you have three front runners right there. 

JBB
3.1.3  JBB  replied to  It Is ME @3.1.2    2 months ago

Except the damn gop was in charge of Congress way back in 2014...

It Is ME
3.1.4  It Is ME  replied to  JBB @3.1.3    2 months ago

And the Damn Dems were in charge for 8 years Prior (2006 to 2014).

And don't forget good 'ol boy Harry and his Filibuster rules either.

KDMichigan
3.1.6  seeder  KDMichigan  replied to  JBB @3.1.3    2 months ago
Except the damn gop was in charge of Congress way back in 2014...

Lets not forget that the study of why lesbians are fat was four years old when this article was wrote so wouldn't it be the damn Democrats who were in charge of congress?

JBB
4  JBB    2 months ago

This story is from 2014. Tom Coburn retired from the Senate many many ago...

†hε pε⊕pレε'š ƒïšh
4.1  †hε pε⊕pレε'š ƒïšh  replied to  JBB @4    2 months ago

I paid federal income tax in 2014, did you? I suspect we all did. 

I'll tell you why they are fatter than other groups in our population,  They consume more calories than they expend each day. 

Maybe government can study why midgets don't play basketball?

JBB
4.1.1  JBB  replied to  †hε pε⊕pレε'š ƒïšh @4.1    2 months ago

Or, why red tides result in massive fish kills. A blue tide will end the gop...

†hε pε⊕pレε'š ƒïšh
4.1.2  †hε pε⊕pレε'š ƒïšh  replied to  JBB @4.1.1    2 months ago

We just completed Mueller's study on Blue conspiracies. It turned out they are untrue. 30 Million spent.

JBB
4.1.3  JBB  replied to  †hε pε⊕pレε'š ƒïšh @4.1.2    2 months ago

Mueller proved that Russia illegally influenced our election in Trump's favor.

This happened in 2016 which was two whole years after this ancient story...

It Is ME
4.1.5  It Is ME  replied to  JBB @4.1.3    2 months ago

This isn't occurring because of THE "Russians":

Just ONE out of many Trump Rally's !

KDMichigan
4.1.6  seeder  KDMichigan  replied to  JBB @4.1.3    2 months ago
This happened in 2016 which was two whole years after this ancient story...

What does that have to do with the Government wasting money trying to figure out lesbian obesity? 

KDMichigan
4.2  seeder  KDMichigan  replied to  JBB @4    2 months ago
This story is from 2014.

So.

Tom Coburn retired

So.

WTF does that have to do with government waste?

Do you really think the Government needs to do a study of why lesbians are fat? 

JBB
4.2.1  JBB  replied to  KDMichigan @4.2    2 months ago

This is a news site not a drag shit up from five years ago not news site...

KDMichigan
4.2.3  seeder  KDMichigan  replied to  JBB @4.2.1    2 months ago

Well this is not your site. If you don't like it start your own news site. 

[Deleted]

KDMichigan
4.2.4  seeder  KDMichigan  replied to  JBB @4.2.1    2 months ago

[deleted]

Note to mod. Is that better? [no]

r.t..b...
5  r.t..b...    2 months ago

from the seed..."nearly three-quarters of lesbians are overweight or obese"

Would that fall under painting with a broad broad broad brush?

†hε pε⊕pレε'š ƒïšh
5.1  †hε pε⊕pレε'š ƒïšh  replied to  r.t..b... @5    2 months ago

75% that is alarming. What is going on there?

MUVA
5.1.1  MUVA  replied to  †hε pε⊕pレε'š ƒïšh @5.1    2 months ago

When all you have to do is please another ugly women (not trying to get a man)they seem to let them selves go.One of my sisters is gay but in great shape her partner is a great athlete  and also in great shape some of their friends are fatties.

Raven Wing
5.1.2  Raven Wing  replied to  †hε pε⊕pレε'š ƒïšh @5.1    2 months ago
What is going on there?

It would seem that one part of society is being singled out very negatively. Obesity is a wide spread issue and not only related to lesbians. Frankly, I would question background of the organization conducting the study itself, how such a study is being conducted, and how the data is being gathered. 

Something just does not sound quite kosher to me. And I would say the same for any other aspect of our society, not just the lesbian community.

Enoch
5.1.3  Enoch  replied to  Raven Wing @5.1.2    2 months ago

Dear Sister Raven Wing: Agreed.

Singling out is a form of selectzia.

It is vile.

Finding cures for obesity is noble.

Using it to marginalize any one group isn't.

P&AB.

Enoch.

KDMichigan
5.1.4  seeder  KDMichigan  replied to  Enoch @5.1.3    2 months ago
Singling out is a form of selectzia.

It is vile.

Finding cures for obesity is noble.

Why would our all knowing Government feel the need to spend millions of Dollars to figure out why lesbians are fat. Don't you think this is a waste of Government money?

Raven Wing
5.2  Raven Wing  replied to  r.t..b... @5    2 months ago
Would that fall under painting with a broad broad broad brush?

Unless they weighed each and every lesbian in the US to prove that assertion, then I'd say that is painting with a very wide speed roller. Sounds more like someone has a very bigoted view of lesbians in general to make that kind of accusation without any valid proof. 

It is no different that saying that nearly 3/4's of Heterosexuals are overweight or obese, and without any valid proof such a statement would also be bogus.

Enoch
5.2.1  Enoch  replied to  Raven Wing @5.2    2 months ago

Dear Sister Raven Wing: Two for two!

I concur once more.

Thanks for posting.

Your clarity and stands for social justice are exemplary.

Good show.

P&AB.

Enoch.

KDMichigan
5.2.2  seeder  KDMichigan  replied to  Enoch @5.2.1    2 months ago
Dear Sister Raven Wing: Two for two!

Not really. Who gives a shit why lesbians are fat. [deleted]

The whole point of the article is Government waste and why our Government deems it necessary to spend millions of dollars trying to figure out why lesbians are fat or on why duck dicks are the way they are.

KDMichigan
5.3  seeder  KDMichigan  replied to  r.t..b... @5    2 months ago
from the seed...

From the Government study. 

I don't care if Lesbian bulls are fat what I care about is the need for the government to think they need to study why lesbians are fat....or Duck dicks.

Nerm_L
6  Nerm_L    2 months ago

IMO the problem isn't the research study.  The problem is the conclusion of "low-athletic self esteem" as cause of obesity which really doesn't say anything.  Basically the research didn't provide any real insight or a useful conclusion that contributes to addressing the problem being studied.

So, this particular research really was a waste of money.  The public didn't get anything for the money that was spent; this was just science welfare.

KDMichigan
6.1  seeder  KDMichigan  replied to  Nerm_L @6    2 months ago
this was just science welfare.

Exactly. 

These are crazy...

https://www.heritage.org/budget-and-spending/report/50-examples-government-waste#_edn7

Washington will spend $2.6 million training Chinese prostitutes to drink more responsibly on the job.[7]

The Securities and Exchange Commission spent $3.9 million rearranging desks and offices at its Washington, D.C., headquarters.[10]

The Pentagon recently spent $998,798 shipping two 19-cent washers from South Carolina to Texas and $293,451 sending an 89-cent washer from South Carolina to Florida.[11]

JBB
7  JBB    2 months ago

You are wrong...

Tacos!
8  Tacos!    2 months ago

Caloric surplus. Same reason anyone is obese. You're welcome.

KDMichigan
8.1  seeder  KDMichigan  replied to  Tacos! @8    2 months ago
Same reason anyone is obese.

Thats not 100% true but pretty much factual. 

My caloric surplus comes from micro brews and eating like a coyote.

pat wilson
8.1.1  pat wilson  replied to  KDMichigan @8.1    2 months ago
eating like a coyote.

You eat live rabbits and house cats ?

KDMichigan
8.1.2  seeder  KDMichigan  replied to  pat wilson @8.1.1    2 months ago
You eat live rabbits and house cats ?

Just dead ones. 

FYI Domestic rabbit is delicious, far better than chicken.

pat wilson
8.1.3  pat wilson  replied to  KDMichigan @8.1.2    2 months ago

FYI most of the rabbits that coyotes eat are wild. 

KDMichigan
8.1.4  seeder  KDMichigan  replied to  pat wilson @8.1.3    2 months ago
FYI most of the rabbits that coyotes eat are wild. 

Is this really what you want to do is turn this in to a discussion of what coyotes eat?

Grow up.

You could have been a adult and asked what I meant by eating like a Coyote but instead we get little liberal games.

So what do you think about the government waste to Study why lesbians are Fat?

Paula Bartholomew
8.1.5  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  KDMichigan @8.1.2    2 months ago

Never eat Jack Rabbit.  They are full of parasites.

†hε pε⊕pレε'š ƒïšh
8.1.6  †hε pε⊕pレε'š ƒïšh  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @8.1.5    2 months ago

What about puppies? Four puppies were thrown away in California. I read it  . The front page.

KDMichigan
8.1.8  seeder  KDMichigan  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @8.1.5    2 months ago
Never eat Jack Rabbit.  They are full of parasites.

They are full of democrats? That's odd.

†hε pε⊕pレε'š ƒïšh
9  †hε pε⊕pレε'š ƒïšh    2 months ago

More studies are needed on gay frogs and lesbian penguins. We have to capture and weigh them.

KDMichigan
9.1  seeder  KDMichigan  replied to  †hε pε⊕pレε'š ƒïšh @9    2 months ago
lesbian penguins.

How about gay king penguins?

https://news.yahoo.com/gay-penguins-adopt-egg-months-212512767.html

MrFrost
10  MrFrost    2 months ago

Well, I would say it's their diet but eating fish all the time isn't all that fattening. 

luther28
11  luther28    2 months ago

Because lesbian fat cells are genetically different from non-lesbian fat cells? (s/ just in case)

Fat is fat, send me the $3,000,000 check via FedEx if you would please:)

KDMichigan
11.1  seeder  KDMichigan  replied to  luther28 @11    2 months ago

Fat lesbians and Duck dicks, Just typing it out sounds stupid as hell

†hε pε⊕pレε'š ƒïšh
11.1.1  †hε pε⊕pレε'š ƒïšh  replied to  KDMichigan @11.1    one month ago

Maybe it's the ducking that makes you fat?

Thrawn 31
12  Thrawn 31    2 months ago

Meh, why the fuck not. We have spent tens of billions paying farmers for losses intentionally incurred by the government. Who give a fuck about $3 million?

KDMichigan
12.1  seeder  KDMichigan  replied to  Thrawn 31 @12    one month ago
Who give a fuck about $3 million?

Instead of wasting money studying why lesbians are fat they could have used that money building the wall...

Kathleen
13  Kathleen    one month ago

Give me the 3 million and I will tell you why.

†hε pε⊕pレε'š ƒïšh
13.1  †hε pε⊕pレε'š ƒïšh  replied to  Kathleen @13    one month ago

KDMichigan
13.1.2  seeder  KDMichigan  replied to  †hε pε⊕pレε'š ƒïšh @13.1    one month ago

About 3 million more than they should have, I know a few fat lesbians myself and could have surveyed them at a much cheaper cost.