╌>

Idaho must pay for transgender inmate's surgery, court rules

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  kdmichigan  •  5 years ago  •  36 comments

Idaho must pay for transgender inmate's surgery, court rules
"The hardworking taxpayers of Idaho should not be forced to pay for a convicted sex offender's gender reassignment surgery when it is contrary to the medical opinions of the treating physician and multiple mental health professionals."

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

A federal appeals court has ruled that the state of Idaho must pay for a transgender inmate's sex reassignment surgery. The state says it will appeal the case to the U.S. Supreme Court.

Inmate Adree Edmo has been living as a woman for years, but has been housed in a men's prison, CBS Idaho affiliate KBOI-TV reports. Deborah Ferguson, an attorney representing Edmo, said in January that her client was at risk of self-harm if the surgery was postponed.
Edmo, 31, was diagnosed with gender dysmorphia in 2012. Ferguson argued that the state's refusal to provide the surgery was unconstitutional.

"They certainly would treat a prisoner with cancer, they treat a prisoner with diabetes, or other chronic conditions," Ferguson said, according to KBOI-TV. "So, we have a medically recognized condition that's very treatable and we have been trying to get her the treatment that she very much needs."

Earlier this year, the state of Idaho was put on a court-ordered deadline to pay for the surgery by mid-June. The state, however appealed that decision — a process it says has already cost more than $325,000.
On Friday, the court of appeals agreed with the federal judge that denying the surgery amounted to cruel and unusual punishment, a violation of the U.S. Constitution.
Idaho Governor Brad Little, however, said he intends to appeal the decision to the U.S. Supreme Court.
"The court's decision is extremely disappointing," Little said in a statement obtained by KBOI-TV. "The hardworking taxpayers of Idaho should not be forced to pay for a convicted sex offender's gender reassignment surgery when it is contrary to the medical opinions of the treating physician and multiple mental health professionals."
Edmo, a convicted sex offender who is expected to be released from prison in 2021, is not the only inmate in the state requesting surgery. Five other requests have been submitted since the beginning of 2019, according to the Idaho Department of Correction.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

KDMichigan
Junior Participates
1  seeder  KDMichigan    5 years ago

This is just wrong. If you take in the horrendous crime he committed this freak just wants surgery at the tax payers expense.

He had no problem sticking his penis in young boys.

Brady Summers was the victim in the Edmo sexual assault case. Summers told local media in December of 2018 that Edmo, “…never once indicated anything of gender dysphoria or sexual indifference. He was a predator. He, on several occasions, had his way with me. It was brutal.”

luther28
Sophomore Silent
1.1  luther28  replied to  KDMichigan @1    5 years ago
"This is just wrong."
No argument here.

1stwarrior
Professor Participates
2  1stwarrior    5 years ago

denying the surgery amounted to cruel and unusual punishment

Sorry, but a person's "mental image" of themselves is not a legal defense.

KDMichigan
Junior Participates
2.1  seeder  KDMichigan  replied to  1stwarrior @2    5 years ago

Took me a minute to find but it was the ninth Circuit Court....surprise surprise.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
2.2  Vic Eldred  replied to  1stwarrior @2    5 years ago

I think we can anticipate the Ninth Circuit being overturned yet again!

Ronin2
Professor Quiet
3  Ronin2    5 years ago
"They certainly would treat a prisoner with cancer, they treat a prisoner with diabetes, or other chronic conditions," Ferguson said, according to KBOI-TV. "So, we have a medically recognized condition that's very treatable and we have been trying to get her the treatment that she very much needs."

Do they have to pay for the hormone therapy as well?  I am sure the lawyers would argue it is the same thing- treatment for a medical condition.

It is beyond ludicrous to try and compare this cancer or diabetes. This is the prisoner's choice. No one chooses to get cancer or diabetes.  The precedent set here will be a burden to US tax payers everywhere.

1stwarrior
Professor Participates
3.1  1stwarrior  replied to  Ronin2 @3    5 years ago

Well, look at what HAS happened in the past.  Chelsea Manning, while in a Fed Prison, was granted 'reassignment" surgery, so, unfortunately, a precedent has been set.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
4  JohnRussell    5 years ago

Looking at the way some people like to talk about this topic all the time, you'd think transgenders are living in every other house around the country. 

I have lived a good number of years now and I have never met a transgendered person.  I think most people fall in that category. 

Texan1211
Professor Principal
4.1  Texan1211  replied to  JohnRussell @4    5 years ago

What does that have to do with some yahoo courts ordering a state to pay for unnecessary surgery for an inmate?

KDMichigan
Junior Participates
4.1.1  seeder  KDMichigan  replied to  Texan1211 @4.1    5 years ago
What does that have to do with some yahoo courts ordering a state to pay for unnecessary surgery for an inmate?

Nothing, absolutely nothing. 

Be prepared for a but Trump rebuttal.

KDMichigan
Junior Participates
4.2  seeder  KDMichigan  replied to  JohnRussell @4    5 years ago
I have never met a transgendered person. 

How do you know? 

Do you walk up to every woman and give them the old Crocodile Dundee sex check?

I think most people fall in that category.

Of course you do. 

Do you think they keep all the Transgender's confined to S.F.?

3 percent of the population identifies as Transgender. You need to get out more.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
4.2.1  JohnRussell  replied to  KDMichigan @4.2    5 years ago
3 percent of the population identifies as Transgender.

According to who?  That figure comes from the LGBTQ community itself, which would have motivation to come up with the highest number possible. 

Other figures are less than 1%. 

We have had dozens (at the least)  of articles on NT about transgenders and all their "issues".  Not sure what the purpose of all that interest is. 

KDMichigan
Junior Participates
4.2.2  seeder  KDMichigan  replied to  JohnRussell @4.2.1    5 years ago
According to who? 

According to GLAAD.

We have had dozens (at the least) of articles on NT about transgenders and all their "issues".

You are making it about Transgenders. It's about abusing of tax payers but most democrats don't seem to have a problem with that.

What about you John, other than worried about meeting transgenders, how do you feel about tax payers footing the bill for the child rapist surgery?

It Is ME
Masters Guide
5  It Is ME    5 years ago

How wonderful. jrSmiley_88_smiley_image.gif

The Judges on this appeals court should be brought before the courts for Contributing (neglect of one's duty) to the "Dreams" of a convicted "Idiot" ….. and what ever other name someone can come up with for this "Fucking Offender" !

cms5
Freshman Quiet
7  cms5    5 years ago

This is just so wrong. This person sexually abused a 15yr old boy and is scheduled for release in 2021.

Idaho should transfer this person to California and let them pay for it.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
7.1  Vic Eldred  replied to  cms5 @7    5 years ago

I second that motion!

SteevieGee
Professor Silent
8  SteevieGee    5 years ago

Ridiculous.  This is elective surgery.  She's not happy with her body?  That's a pretty big club.  She should put on her big girl panties and wait until she's released.  It's only 2 years.  It'll give her something to look forward to.  Alternatively, to avoid the costs maybe Idaho could just release her early.  Idaho has already spent more than the surgery would cost trying to avoid it.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
8.1  Vic Eldred  replied to  SteevieGee @8    5 years ago
This is elective surgery. 

Why do the people of Idaho have to pay for it?

She's not happy with her body?  

AWWWWWW!

She should put on her big girl panties and wait until she's released.  

What an insult to femininity!

Alternatively, to avoid the costs maybe Idaho could just release her early. 

And throw her/him a party! The innocent victims be damned!

Idaho has already spent more than the surgery would cost trying to avoid it.

The cost of incarceration is a necessity

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
8.1.1  Trout Giggles  replied to  Vic Eldred @8.1    5 years ago

Why don't you go back and read StevieGee's comment? You're arguing with him for no damn good reason.

SteevieGee
Professor Silent
8.1.2  SteevieGee  replied to  Vic Eldred @8.1    5 years ago

You realize that I'm agreeing with you right?

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
8.1.3  Vic Eldred  replied to  SteevieGee @8.1.2    5 years ago

Actually, I didn't know. Sorry...Welcome aboard!

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
8.1.4  Vic Eldred  replied to  Trout Giggles @8.1.1    5 years ago
Why don't you go back and read StevieGee's comment?

I just had my head handed to me. I got it.

SteevieGee
Professor Silent
8.1.5  SteevieGee  replied to  Vic Eldred @8.1    5 years ago

Think about it Vic.  She's gaming the system.  She'll never be able to afford the surgery once she's outside.  She's stuck there for 2 more years and has nothing better to do anyway.  Let her go early and she's stuck with her gross and horrible mismatched genitalia in perpetuity.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
8.1.6  Vic Eldred  replied to  SteevieGee @8.1.5    5 years ago
Let her go early and she's stuck with her gross and horrible mismatched genitalia in perpetuity.

That you were serious about?

KDMichigan
Junior Participates
8.1.7  seeder  KDMichigan  replied to  SteevieGee @8.1.5    5 years ago
Let her go early

No. It is a child rapist.

He can serve out his term just like any other felon and pay for his own surgery once he gets out.

Ronin2
Professor Quiet
8.2  Ronin2  replied to  SteevieGee @8    5 years ago
Idaho has already spent more than the surgery would cost trying to avoid it.

Did you see they have 5 other cases of sexual reorientation waiting? If they don't fight it here, then it will set the precedent not just for their state; but everywhere. What will be the costs then?  Better to fight it all the way now than to pay for it forever.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
8.2.1  Vic Eldred  replied to  Ronin2 @8.2    5 years ago
Did you see they have 5 other cases of sexual reorientation waiting?

John told me it was a rarity..Are you sure?

jrSmiley_82_smiley_image.gif

SteevieGee
Professor Silent
8.2.2  SteevieGee  replied to  Ronin2 @8.2    5 years ago

Well, the state has already lost their appeal so i guess you live to fight another day.

KDMichigan
Junior Participates
8.2.3  seeder  KDMichigan  replied to  SteevieGee @8.2.2    5 years ago
the state has already lost their appeal

They said they will take it to the supreme court.

SteevieGee
Professor Silent
8.2.4  SteevieGee  replied to  KDMichigan @8.2.3    5 years ago

No doubt but it's not about the money anymore.

KDMichigan
Junior Participates
8.2.5  seeder  KDMichigan  replied to  SteevieGee @8.2.4    5 years ago
No doubt but it's not about the money anymore.

In Idaho inmate health care is done by a sub contractor. I think the state maybe appealed a lower courts decision on precedent.

I have no problem with what people do with their bodies. Making tax payers pay for this is ridiculous. If a guy is depressed because his penis is to small and is depressed because he has a small penis while in prison do the tax payers pay for a penis enhancement? (Is there such a thing?)

Freefaller
Professor Quiet
8.2.6  Freefaller  replied to  KDMichigan @8.2.5    5 years ago
Making tax payers pay for this is ridiculous.

Completely agree.  I have no problem with her becoming who she was meant to be but pay for it herself, maybe start a Go Fund Me page or something.

charger 383
Professor Silent
9  charger 383    5 years ago

If the inmate is getting out in 2021, an early release, with condition they leave the state might be in Idaho's interest  

Sparty On
Professor Principal
10  Sparty On    5 years ago

My mental imagine of my knee's does not match with the missing meniscus and torn ACL.   The current condition is very troublesome for me.   I imagine my knees fully repaired.   Do i have to get arrested to get that freebie or will Uncle Sam just do it for me outright?

Inquiring minds want to know.

Tacos!
Professor Guide
11  Tacos!    5 years ago

Seems like elective surgery and even if he is prone to self harm, I bet it's cheaper to put him on suicide watch than it is to pay for surgery.