╌>

Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez Blasts Trump for Saying He's the Best Thing That's Ever Happened to Puerto Rico: '3,000 Americans Died on Your Watch'

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  it-is-me  •  5 years ago  •  42 comments

Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez Blasts Trump for Saying He's the Best Thing That's Ever Happened to Puerto Rico: '3,000 Americans Died on Your Watch'
New York Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez lashed out at President Donald Trump's boast

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

New York Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez lashed out at President Donald Trump's boast that he is the "best thing that's ever happened to Puerto Rico," highlighting the island's death toll from Hurricane Maria.

------------------------------------

Ocasio-Cortez, a Democrat of Puerto Rican heritage, hit back on Twitter: "3,000 Americans died on your watch. You're not the best thing to happen to anybody but yourself. And even that's questionable."

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

It Is ME
Masters Guide
1  seeder  It Is ME    5 years ago

It wasn't "HIS" to watch you dumbshit. 

It was on the Leaders of Puerto Rico's WATCH, which all they ever watched was how much money they could extort for their own gain over the decades, on that Shit Hole Island.

AOC and "Having a Clue"...….. Price-LESS ! jrSmiley_78_smiley_image.gif

It's like Trump coulda just snapped his fingers and the storm woulda just gone "POOF" ! jrSmiley_18_smiley_image.gif

Why didn't he do that ? jrSmiley_54_smiley_image.gif

Dismayed Patriot
Professor Quiet
1.1  Dismayed Patriot  replied to  It Is ME @1    5 years ago
It's like Trump coulda just snapped his fingers and the storm woulda just gone "POOF" !

"Puerto Rico's governor updated the island's official death toll for victims of Hurricane Maria on Tuesday, hours after independent researchers from George Washington University released a study estimating the hurricane caused 2,975 deaths in the six months following the storm ."

No one is blaming Trump for not preventing Hurricane Maria, they rightly blame he and government officials for the slow response in the wake of Hurricane Maria which likely led to the deaths of nearly 3,000 Americans.

"that Shit Hole Island"

Why is it that some seem to only call places they imagine are full of brown or black people "shit holes"? We've had hurricanes and even volcanoes destroy much of the Hawaiian Islands, but we never hear the right wing calling them "shit holes", why is that?

It Is ME
Masters Guide
1.1.1  seeder  It Is ME  replied to  Dismayed Patriot @1.1    5 years ago
No one is blaming Trump for not preventing Hurricane Maria, they rightly blame he and government officials for the slow response in the wake of Hurricane Maria which likely led to the deaths of nearly 3,000 Americans.

Ignoring the bad infrastructure, and stealing money, because those BAD infrastructures were ignored by the "Puerto Rican Leaders" for decades, caused the Deaths of a few thousand people.

NOT TRUMP !

Dismayed Patriot
Professor Quiet
1.1.2  Dismayed Patriot  replied to  It Is ME @1.1.1    5 years ago
NOT TRUMP

He had the opportunity to help but instead he threw paper towels at the problem.

It Is ME
Masters Guide
1.1.3  seeder  It Is ME  replied to  Dismayed Patriot @1.1.2    5 years ago

Do you even listen about reports/corruption in Puerto Rico  ?

Puerto Rico gives out $100 million in bonuses after pleading for $94 billion in hurricane relief

-------------------------------------

Trump even lifted "Shipping Restrictions" to help Puerto Rico. 

Puerto Rico STILL hasn't helped themselves.

They've even ousted their own governor ! jrSmiley_88_smiley_image.gif

Because of Corruption , the utility company still has over 400,000 people without power. Their infrastructure was so bad, even our power company, that went over to help, gave up and came home !

Jack_TX
Professor Quiet
1.1.4  Jack_TX  replied to  Dismayed Patriot @1.1    5 years ago

No, they're blaming him for being a white male Republican during a hurricane, ala GWB during Katrina. Getting aid to a place that poorly developed and maintained, dealing with sovereignty issues and regulations is a formidable task.

And while I realize they are technically Americans, they don't see themselves as such until the shit hits the fan and they want help from the mainland.

Why is it that some seem to only call places they imagine are full of brown or black people "shit holes"?

I don't hear anybody calling Fiji a "shithole".  Or Grand Cayman.  Or Grand Bahama.  Or Curacao.  Or Cozumel.  Tons of islands awash in brown and black people that Americans pay lots of money to visit for other purposes than "mission trips" to fix the place up.

News flash....Haiti is a literal shithole.  There are places with sewage running through the streets.

We've had hurricanes and even volcanoes destroy much of the Hawaiian Islands, but we never hear the right wing calling them "shit holes", why is that?

Hawaii has modern infrastructure.  The electricity and water work 24/7/365.  Hawaii is a US state.  Hawaiians pay US taxes.  A hurricane hitting Oahu is just like a hurricane hitting Houston.

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
1.1.5  Greg Jones  replied to  Dismayed Patriot @1.1.2    5 years ago

What should he have done that he didn't.

Send more money to the corrupt "leaders"?

If I remember correctly, Obama's response to the Haitian earthquake

was slow and disorganized.

1stwarrior
Professor Participates
1.1.6  1stwarrior  replied to  Greg Jones @1.1.5    5 years ago

And they STILL haven't received all their funding nor the funding that the "Clinton Foundation" supposedly collected for them.

Jack_TX
Professor Quiet
1.2  Jack_TX  replied to  It Is ME @1    5 years ago
It's like Trump coulda just snapped his fingers and the storm woulda just gone "POOF" !

Donald Trump caused the hurricane to hit Puerto Rico.

That's because Donald Trump invented hurricanes.  And measles.  And ebola.  And forest fires.  The bastard.

Dismayed Patriot
Professor Quiet
1.2.1  Dismayed Patriot  replied to  Jack_TX @1.2    5 years ago
That's because Donald Trump invented hurricanes.  And measles.  And ebola.  And forest fires.  The bastard

While there is no doubt dishonest Donald reflects many of the qualities of the four horsemen of the apocalypse, no one blames him for the hurricane, just like no one blamed Bush for Katrina occurring. The blame comes from both their inept handling of such natural disasters after the fact where they had an opportunity to help and prevent much of the suffering following the disasters, but instead chose to do airplane flyovers or to toss rolls of paper towels to a crowd during a photo op then vanish in a puff of smoke like a hack magician.

It Is ME
Masters Guide
1.2.2  seeder  It Is ME  replied to  Jack_TX @1.2    5 years ago
Donald Trump caused the hurricane to hit Puerto Rico. That's because Donald Trump invented hurricanes.  And measles.  And ebola.  And forest fires.  The bastard.

jrSmiley_10_smiley_image.gif

I think he made hurricane Dorian turn towards Florida too. Can't let a "Disaster go to waste" (You never let a serious crisis go to waste.  Rahm Emanuel ). jrSmiley_88_smiley_image.gif  

Jack_TX
Professor Quiet
1.2.3  Jack_TX  replied to  Dismayed Patriot @1.2.1    5 years ago
While there is no doubt dishonest Donald reflects many of the qualities of the four horsemen of the apocalypse,

Was the actual goal here to crush your own credibility?  Or was that just an unintended consequence?

no one blames him for the hurricane, just like no one blamed Bush for Katrina occurring. The blame comes from both their inept handling of such natural disasters after the fact where they had an opportunity to help and prevent much of the suffering following the disasters, but instead chose to do airplane flyovers or to toss rolls of paper towels to a crowd during a photo op then vanish in a puff of smoke like a hack magician.

No, the blame comes because we've set a 60 plus year pattern now where we have firmly established the bleeding heart belief that no minority is ever responsible for their own actions ever under any circumstances.  If they were, it would totally ruin the whole liberal "great white hope" syndrome.

Trump, Bush, or whoever the white male in charge may be is expected to ride in like a knight in shining armor and save people from their own failure to prepare or in the case of Katrina their own outright refusal to act in their own preservation.  When that doesn't happen before the coffee is cold, people start screaming at them...more because they hated them anyway than for their actual response to the situation.

katrix
Sophomore Participates
1.2.4  katrix  replied to  Jack_TX @1.2.3    5 years ago
in the case of Katrina their own outright refusal to act in their own preservation

I still remember seeing pictures of all those school buses flooded in parking lots ... buses the local government could have used to evacuate all the people without transportation who later died.

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
1.2.5  sandy-2021492  replied to  Jack_TX @1.2.3    5 years ago
Trump, Bush, or whoever the white male in charge may be is expected to ride in like a knight in shining armor and save people from their own failure to prepare or in the case of Katrina their own outright refusal to act in their own preservation.  When that doesn't happen before the coffee is cold, people start screaming at them...more because they hated them anyway than for their actual response to the situation.

I'm not really sure it's race-based, Jack:

In answer to the question, "Who do you think was more responsible for the poor response to Hurricane Katrina: George W. Bush or Barack Obama?," 29 percent of a pool of Republican primary voters in Louisiana blamed Obama, who took office in 2009, and 28 percent blamed Bush, whose term lasted through 2008. Hurricane Katrina hit on Aug. 29, 2005.

Dismayed Patriot
Professor Quiet
1.2.6  Dismayed Patriot  replied to  Jack_TX @1.2.3    5 years ago
Was the actual goal here to crush your own credibility?

I guess the goal was to point at the comedy of claiming anyone on the left blames Donald for "hurricanes"  "measles" "ebola" and "forest fires". The unintended consequence was revealing how mind bogglingly obtuse some on the right have become in their attempt to defend the indefensible.

It Is ME
Masters Guide
1.2.7  seeder  It Is ME  replied to  katrix @1.2.4    5 years ago
I still remember seeing pictures of all those school buses flooded in parking lots ... buses the local government could have used to evacuate all the people without transportation who later died.

Ray Nagin turned out to be a "Peach" of a Mayor (leader) ! jrSmiley_89_smiley_image.gif

He was one of those that bashed Bush, while Fleeing his own State before he made sure his own folks were looked after first......Pffffffft !

Ex-New Orleans mayor found guilty of corruption during Hurricane Katrina

Same thing goes for Puerto Rican leaders. Those Leaders covered their own ass and wallets first, as their own people died ! jrSmiley_46_smiley_image.gif

Jack_TX
Professor Quiet
1.2.8  Jack_TX  replied to  sandy-2021492 @1.2.5    5 years ago
I'm not really sure it's race-based, Jack:

I really feel like your link reinforces the whole racism theme here.   Lousiana Republicans....Obama....responsible for something 4 years before he took office....   You don't think there's a teeeny weeeny bit of racism going on there?  I kinda do.

The real story (where Obama wasn't involved) was that the overwhelming majority of people still in NOLA when the storm hit were black.  All sorts of accusations were made at the time that if these had been white people help would have been there instantly.

Jack_TX
Professor Quiet
1.2.9  Jack_TX  replied to  Dismayed Patriot @1.2.6    5 years ago
I guess the goal was to point at the comedy of claiming anyone on the left blames Donald for "hurricanes"  "measles" "ebola" and "forest fires". The unintended consequence was revealing how mind bogglingly obtuse some on the right have become in their attempt to defend the indefensible.

Ah, you were joking.  Then well done.

You do have to admit, that comparing Trump to the Four Horsemen is not really out of standard practice for the melodramatic never Trump left.  He's certainly compared to Hitler often enough.

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
1.2.10  sandy-2021492  replied to  Jack_TX @1.2.8    5 years ago

Ok, I'll be more blunt.  Obama certainly wasn't blamed for the slow response to Katrina because he's a white male Republican, which is the reason you give for blaming Trump and Bush.  If there's racism, it certainly isn't just against white men in charge.

Bush was blamed because of bad optics - vacationing probably wasn't the best idea at the time.  Plenty of people were already pissed at Bush for his invasion of Iraq.  He looked weak and misguided, yet again.

Trump was blamed because of bad optics - tossing paper towels like t-shirts at a baseball game, acting surprised to find that Puerto Rico is an island, vastly understating the death toll in PR, and patting himself on the back for it.

Obama was blamed because some folks don't like him - because of race, politics, whatever.

But you only complained about the white guys being unfairly blamed.

Dismayed Patriot
Professor Quiet
1.2.11  Dismayed Patriot  replied to  Jack_TX @1.2.9    5 years ago
comparing Trump to the Four Horsemen is not really out of standard practice for the melodramatic never Trump left

He called himself "the chosen one" which the right laughed off as a joke but the rest of us couldn't really tell if he was joking or not since Trump says such crazy shit all the time while claiming to be serious. As we've seen many times now, it's his followers who often claim he was "chosen" by their God.

"There have been a series of paintings of Trump as a kind of redeemer figure by John McNaughton. Others depict Trump being hugged by Jesus, or signing bills at the resolute desk with Jesus standing behind him. These images, for some evangelicals, are fan images of the hopes and the realities they believe President Trump’s election has wrought."

"Others, especially those who are Dominionist, would be pleased that President Trump is finally being recognized for who they really believe that he is. Some evangelicals have spent a great deal of time since 2016 extolling Trump in this manner."

"For some evangelicals, thinking of Trump as “King of the Jews” means that because he is the protector of Israel, Jews are that much closer to becoming “saved” and converted to Christianity. For Dominionist groups, some of which are already in Israel waiting for the “last days,” Trump’s embrace of this statement is further confirmation that he is God’s man in the last days, who will help to bring Christ back to Earth."

If Trump were a character out of Revelation, he wouldn't be any of the horsemen, he would be the whore of Babylon drinking the blood of the innocents while riding on the back of the scarlet wild beast just before it turns on her and devours her.

"One of the seven angels who had the seven bowls came and said to me, “Come, I will show you the punishment of the great prostitute, who sits by many waters. With her the kings of the earth committed adultery, and the inhabitants of the earth were intoxicated with the wine of her adulteries.” Then the angel carried me away in the Spirit into a wilderness. There I saw a woman sitting on a scarlet beast that was covered with blasphemous names and had seven heads and ten horns. The woman was dressed in purple and scarlet, and was glittering with gold, precious stones and pearls. She held a golden cup in her hand, filled with abominable things and the filth of her adulteries. The name written on her forehead was a mystery: babylon the great, the mother of prostitutes, and of the abominations of the earth . I saw that the woman was drunk with the blood of God’s holy people, the blood of those who bore testimony to Jesus." - Revelation 17:1-6

Jack_TX
Professor Quiet
1.2.12  Jack_TX  replied to  sandy-2021492 @1.2.10    5 years ago
Ok, I'll be more blunt.  Obama certainly wasn't blamed for the slow response to Katrina because he's a white male Republican, which is the reason you give for blaming Trump and Bush.  If there's racism, it certainly isn't just against white men in charge.

He wasn't blamed at all.  This bizarre survey 8 years later does not constitute evidence of anybody actually blaming him for anything.

Bush was blamed because of bad optics - vacationing probably wasn't the best idea at the time.  Plenty of people were already pissed at Bush for his invasion of Iraq.  He looked weak and misguided, yet again.

They were pissed at him from "hanging chad" and even daring to run against a Clinton acolyte.  Who did he think he was, anyway? 

Going on vacation only looks "weak" or "misguided" to people predisposed to criticize anything he did anyway.  There is a massive federal agency in charge of disaster relief, and they don't need or want his micromanagement.  Normal people do not expect to see the POTUS out there pulling people out of the flood.  We have people for that. 

Trump was blamed because of bad optics - tossing paper towels like t-shirts at a baseball game, acting surprised to find that Puerto Rico is an island, vastly understating the death toll in PR, and patting himself on the back for it.

Bad optics are certainly no surprise for Trump.  But I'm real sure you're not going to try to tell me Barack Obama would have received the same backlash.

Obama was blamed because some folks don't like him - because of race, politics, whatever. But you only complained about the white guys being unfairly blamed.

Do show us all where elected officials have made statements about Barack Obama's failure during Katrina.

Jack_TX
Professor Quiet
1.2.13  Jack_TX  replied to  Dismayed Patriot @1.2.11    5 years ago
He called himself "the chosen one" which the right laughed off as a joke but the rest of us couldn't really tell if he was joking or not since Trump says such crazy shit all the time while claiming to be serious.

What difference would it make?

As we've seen many times now, it's his followers who often claim he was "chosen" by their God.

Here...let me help you...

Stop taking him......or them...... seriously.  You'll only give yourself a headache.

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
1.2.14  sandy-2021492  replied to  Jack_TX @1.2.12    5 years ago
He wasn't blamed at all.  This bizarre survey 8 years later does not constitute evidence of anybody actually blaming him for anything.

Some thought he was responsible, Jack.  The fact that they were dead wrong and stupid to boot doesn't mean that they weren't blaming him.

They were pissed at him from "hanging chad" and even daring to run against a Clinton acolyte.

I'm sure he's glad you've assumed the victim's role on his behalf.  Nobody was pissed at him for running against Gore.  They were pissed, with good reason, that it was not a clean election.

And about Iraq.

He was a weak and misguided President.  And regardless of the real effects of his absence (I agree that his presence was neither needed nor wanted by those in the know), fiddling while Rome burns looks pretty heartless.  Bad optics.

But I'm real sure you're not going to try to tell me Barack Obama would have received the same backlash.

You think he'd have gone unscathed after tossing paper towels and telling Puerto Ricans that their death toll was thousands less than it actually was, then praising himself?  Hell, the man caught flack over a tan suit.

elected officials

Odd that we're only now confining our remarks to elected officials.

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
1.2.15  Greg Jones  replied to  katrix @1.2.4    5 years ago

And the the inept and corrupt mayor ended up behind bars.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
2  JohnRussell    5 years ago

There is an ugly reality associated with trump's attitude toward Puerto Rico.  Trump is dismissive if not hostile toward Puerto Rico because he perceives that his political base likes it that way. Pure racism. 

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
3  Ed-NavDoc    5 years ago

AOC obviously is a escapee from the Twilight Zone!  Will somebody please put her back?

Jack_TX
Professor Quiet
3.1  Jack_TX  replied to  Ed-NavDoc @3    5 years ago
AOC obviously is a escapee from the Twilight Zone!  Will somebody please put her back?

Nah.  She's just a standard Millennial.  Maturity is about 10 years behind where it was with previous generations.

Imagine her as the super annoying 19 yr old know-it-all angry college freshman girl without a clue in the world but convinced she's ready to be a real grown up.  Then repeat all that stupid shit she says and see if it doesn't fit better into that context.

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
3.1.1  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  Jack_TX @3.1    5 years ago

Yep, except now she's 29 and still totally clueless and still has not grown up yet!

Jack_TX
Professor Quiet
3.1.2  Jack_TX  replied to  Ed-NavDoc @3.1.1    5 years ago
Yep, except now she's 29 and still totally clueless and still has not grown up yet!

Which wouldn't be a problem if she weren't in Congress.

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
3.1.3  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  Jack_TX @3.1.2    5 years ago

Very true.

Tacos!
Professor Guide
4  Tacos!    5 years ago
highlighting the island's death toll from Hurricane Maria

So, once again some Democrat thinks it's the job of Republican presidents to stop hurricanes.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
4.1  Tessylo  replied to  Tacos! @4    5 years ago

Where did you pull that nonsense from?  

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
4.1.1  Greg Jones  replied to  Tessylo @4.1    5 years ago

[Deleted]