╌>

5 dead, 21 injured in Texas shooting

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  mrfrost  •  5 years ago  •  83 comments

5 dead, 21 injured in Texas shooting
Shooter killed in West Texas after 5 people died, at least 21 injured, police say

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

(CNN)A gunman in West Texas who killed five people while firing from his vehicle and then from a hijacked mail truck was fatally shot by police in a gun battle in a movie theater parking lot, authorities said Saturday.

At least 21 people were injured, including some who were wounded by the shooter, Odessa Police Chief Michael Gerke said at a news conference. Gerke said three law enforcement officers were injured: one from the Department of Public Safety, one officer from the Midland Police Department and one officer from Odessa Police Department.

Gerke said the shooter was identified as a white male in his 30's. His name and a motive were not given.

Midland Mayor Jerry Morales told CNN the chain of events began when a Department of Public Safety officer pulled over a vehicle on an interstate highway Saturday.

"That's when he shot the officer and then took off and started shooting randomly," Morales said. "Everything happened after that."

At one point, the shooter ditched his vehicle and hijacked a US Postal Service truck, authorities said.

Law enforcement officers "trapped him in the parking lot of the Cinergy theater, and that's when they were able to engage him," Morales said.

Alex Wood told CNN he arrived at the theater complex and "next thing you know, I heard a pop, so, I flip the camera to where the theaters are and I just see a bunch of gunfire going off."

"I could see the officer walking up the mail van and discharging his weapon into it, and I believe that's when the shooter was killed," he said.

The conditions of those injured were not immediately known. Fourteen people were being treated at Medical Center Hospital in Odessa, Texas, according to CEO Russell Tippin. No ages or conditions were provided. The hospital has a family staging area with grief counselors and social workers to provide support, Tippin said.

This is the second mass shooting in Texas in August. Only four weeks ago, a gunman killed 22 people in a mass shooting in El Paso, located about 285 miles to the west of Odessa.

Democratic presidential candidate and Texas native Beto O'Rourke on Saturday reacted to news of this mass shooting by proclaiming, "We need to end this epidemic."

"Our hearts are with Midland, Odessa, and everyone in West Texas who has to endure this again. More information is forthcoming, but here's what we know: We need to end this epidemic,"   he tweeted.

Earlier in the day, Devin Sanchez, a spokesman for the City of Odessa, said someone in a gold Toyota was driving around shopping centers and shooting people from his vehicle.

The Odessa police Facebook page said the mail carrier truck was hijacked.

A law enforcement official told CNN that agents from the FBI's Midland office are responding to assist with the incident. The Midland office is a satellite office of the FBI's El Paso division.

The US Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives in Dallas tweeted that agents would respond to the shooting.

Texas Governor Greg Abbott released a statement Saturday, saying:

"The First Lady and I are heartbroken over this senseless and cowardly attack, and we offer our unwavering support to the victims, their families, and all the people of Midland and Odessa. The state of Texas and the Department of Public Safety are working closely with local law enforcement to provide resources as needed and deliver justice for this heinous attack."

CNN's Amanda Watts contributed to this report.

Article is LOCKED by author/seeder
[]

MrFrost
Professor Expert
1  seeder  MrFrost    5 years ago

Another day in Murica...

lady in black
Professor Quiet
1.1  lady in black  replied to  MrFrost @1    5 years ago

National Reaper Association.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.2  Texan1211  replied to  MrFrost @1    5 years ago

Uh, that is AMERICA.

You know that, right?

cjcold
Professor Quiet
1.2.1  cjcold  replied to  Texan1211 @1.2    5 years ago

Pretty sure that far right wing fascists don't have America's best interests in mind. 

Far right wing fascists only care for hate of the other.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.2.2  Texan1211  replied to  cjcold @1.2.1    5 years ago
Pretty sure that far right wing fascists don't have America's best interests in mind.

Pretty sure you are right about that.

[Deleted]

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.2.3  Texan1211  replied to  cjcold @1.2.1    5 years ago
Far right wing fascists only care for hate of the other.

Pretty sure that not all left-wing loons have America's interests n mind.

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
1.2.4  XXJefferson51  replied to  cjcold @1.2.1    5 years ago

Pretty sure that far left wing secular progressives don’t have America’s best interests in mind.                    Far left liberal fascists only care for the hate of the other.  

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
1.2.5  XXJefferson51  replied to  Texan1211 @1.2.2    5 years ago

What a surprise... Not!  

lady in black
Professor Quiet
2  lady in black    5 years ago

In the 1960s they had the summer of love, 50 years later we have the summer of trump.some progress...great job dotard, you made america hate again

Texan1211
Professor Principal
2.1  Texan1211  replied to  lady in black @2    5 years ago

[Deleted]

BTW, did you blame Obama for every mass shooting while he was President?

Or is that just the double standard you use for all things Trump?

lady in black
Professor Quiet
2.1.1  lady in black  replied to  Texan1211 @2.1    5 years ago

Yes I blame him for all his hateful rhetoric and I blame the national reaper association.  Don't like it too bad

Texan1211
Professor Principal
2.1.2  Texan1211  replied to  lady in black @2.1.1    5 years ago

Well, of course you do.

[Deleted]

Was Obama responsible for any mass shootings?

lady in black
Professor Quiet
2.1.3  lady in black  replied to  Texan1211 @2.1.2    5 years ago

D03WSAxVYAA6GwZ.jpg

Texan1211
Professor Principal
2.1.4  Texan1211  replied to  lady in black @2.1.3    5 years ago

Oh, so you DON'T like holding Obama to the same standards you hold Trump to.

You really didn't need to spell it out--it is obvious to even the most casual observer.

MrFrost
Professor Expert
2.1.5  seeder  MrFrost  replied to  Texan1211 @2.1.4    5 years ago
Oh, so you DON'T like holding Obama to the same standards you hold Trump to.

News flash, Obama isn't the president anymore. 

MrFrost
Professor Expert
2.1.6  seeder  MrFrost  replied to  Texan1211 @2.1.4    5 years ago

You really didn't need to spell it out--it is obvious to even the most casual observer.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
2.1.7  Texan1211  replied to  MrFrost @2.1.5    5 years ago

Oh, THANK GOD FOR THAT!!!!

Texan1211
Professor Principal
2.1.8  Texan1211  replied to  MrFrost @2.1.6    5 years ago

And how many did you credit to Obama?

MrFrost
Professor Expert
2.1.9  seeder  MrFrost  replied to  Texan1211 @2.1.8    5 years ago

And how many did you credit to Obama?

HINT: Obama had a REPUBLICAN congress. How willing do you think they were to do anything about mass shootings? NADA...

Texan1211
Professor Principal
2.1.10  Texan1211  replied to  MrFrost @2.1.9    5 years ago
HINT: Obama had a REPUBLICAN congress. How willing do you think they were to do anything about mass shootings? NADA...

Y'all need to decide whether it is Trump or Congress' fault. This constant switching is making me dizzy.

BTW, Obama DID have a Democratic Congress-House and Senate.

You can look that up, you know.

So, do you hold Democrats and Obama responsible for any mass shootings as you do Trump and Republicans?

MrFrost
Professor Expert
2.1.11  seeder  MrFrost  replied to  Texan1211 @2.1.10    5 years ago
BTW, Obama DID have a Democratic Congress-House and Senate.

for the first two years, after that it was republican controlled. 

You can look that up, you know.

Wow, thanks for the tip, I would never have guessed.... [eye roll] But I kinda already knew that one. 

So, do you hold Democrats and Obama responsible for any mass shootings as you do Trump and Republicans?

No because Obama actually tried to do something about the shootings, trump? Not so much. 

Texan1211
Professor Principal
2.1.12  Texan1211  replied to  MrFrost @2.1.11    5 years ago
or the first two years, after that it was republican controlled.

Seems to me I recall the Democrats taking the House last year.

So I guess Trump had a GOP Congress as long as Obama had a Democratic one.

Wow, thanks for the tip,

You are more than welcome. Any time.

MrFrost
Professor Expert
2.1.13  seeder  MrFrost  replied to  Texan1211 @2.1.12    5 years ago
Seems to me I recall the Democrats taking the House last year.

Not a majority and pretty sure Obama wasn't president last year. 

Texan1211
Professor Principal
2.1.14  Texan1211  replied to  MrFrost @2.1.13    5 years ago
Not a majority

Surely you ARE aware that, indeed, the Democrats control the House? You may have heard of Pelosi being named Speaker?

Ringing any bells?

pretty sure Obama wasn't president last year.

Very good, that is correct. No one here claimed he was, so what is the argument for?

Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom
Professor Guide
3  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom    5 years ago

Our thoughts and prayers our hearts and prayers our hearts, thoughts and prayers... 

blablablablablablablablablablablablalbablablablablafuckingbla.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
3.2  Texan1211  replied to  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom @3    5 years ago

So what upsets you?

That others think and pray?

How does that hurt you?

Professor Guide
3.2.1  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom  replied to  Texan1211 @3.2    5 years ago
So what upsets you?

How does that hurt you?

[Deleted]  

Please stop.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
3.2.2  Texan1211  replied to  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom @3.2.1    5 years ago

So is it the thinking, the praying, or the combination of the two that you don't like?

MrFrost
Professor Expert
3.2.3  seeder  MrFrost  replied to  Texan1211 @3.2.2    5 years ago

So is it the thinking, the praying, or the combination of the two that you don't like?

No one cares, prayers are worthless. 

MrFrost
Professor Expert
3.2.4  seeder  MrFrost  replied to  Texan1211 @3.2    5 years ago

Why not use those prayers to protect our borders, it's what the right wants to use to protect innocent people from shootings. 

Texan1211
Professor Principal
3.2.5  Texan1211  replied to  MrFrost @3.2.3    5 years ago
No one cares

I kind of doubt you speak for America.

prayers are worthless.

And you can prove that?

MrFrost
Professor Expert
3.2.6  seeder  MrFrost  replied to  Texan1211 @3.2.5    5 years ago
And you can prove that?

Well, after every shooting, people always send thoughts and prayers and they just keep on happening. So yea, I can prove it. But you need more proof? Fine.

Pray for a billion dollars in cash, let us know tomorrow how it worked out for you. Ok? Thanks. 

Texan1211
Professor Principal
3.2.7  Texan1211  replied to  MrFrost @3.2.6    5 years ago
Well, after every shooting, people always send thoughts and prayers and they just keep on happening. So yea, I can prove it. But you need more proof? Fine.

The thoughts and prayers are for the survivors and victims and their families.

Pray for a billion dollars in cash, let us know tomorrow how it worked out for you. Ok? Thanks.

That is a rather juvenile approach. But for those unfamiliar with religion, not unheard of, unique, or surprising.

Professor Guide
3.2.8  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom  replied to  Texan1211 @3.2.7    5 years ago

Shut.  Up.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
3.2.9  Texan1211  replied to  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom @3.2.8    5 years ago
Shut. Up.

Um. No.

MrFrost
Professor Expert
3.2.10  seeder  MrFrost  replied to  Texan1211 @3.2.7    5 years ago

That is a rather juvenile approach. But for those unfamiliar with religion, not unheard of, unique, or surprising.

So when it doesn't work, you'll have an excuse for that too, no doubt. 

Texan1211
Professor Principal
3.2.11  Texan1211  replied to  MrFrost @3.2.10    5 years ago
So when it doesn't work, you'll have an excuse for that too, no doubt.

Doubling down on inanity doesn't make the case any better.

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
3.2.13  XXJefferson51  replied to  Texan1211 @3.2.9    5 years ago

Good answer. jrSmiley_81_smiley_image.gifjrSmiley_13_smiley_image.gif

Texan1211
Professor Principal
4  Texan1211    5 years ago

NRA, Trump, NRA, Trump...blablahblahblahblah.

MrFrost
Professor Expert
4.1  seeder  MrFrost  replied to  Texan1211 @4    5 years ago

Yea, I am sure that's exactly what you would say if your husband was one of the victims. 

Texan1211
Professor Principal
4.1.1  Texan1211  replied to  MrFrost @4.1    5 years ago
Yea, I am sure that's exactly what you would say if your husband was one of the victims.

I am a male married to a woman.

And I suspect that the NRA and Trump and politicians in general are not central to the victims or their families now.

MrFrost
Professor Expert
4.1.2  seeder  MrFrost  replied to  Texan1211 @4.1.1    5 years ago
I am a male married to a woman.

Well, then allow me to retort...

I am sure that would be your reaction if your wife was one of the victimes...

There, better? 

Texan1211
Professor Principal
4.1.3  Texan1211  replied to  MrFrost @4.1.2    5 years ago
I am sure that would be your reaction if your wife was one of the victimes...

Well, as a completely sane man, I personally would blame the person DOING the killing rather than a gun or laws.

There, better?

I am the same whether you had made the comment or not.

MrFrost
Professor Expert
4.1.4  seeder  MrFrost  replied to  Texan1211 @4.1.3    5 years ago
Well, as a completely sane man, I personally would blame the person DOING the killing rather than a gun or laws.

And as a sane man myself, I would be asking how my wife would have been shot had that moron not had access to guns in the first fucking place? The VAST majority of mass shootings in the USA are with assault style semi-auto rifles. When was the last time you saw a mass shooting where the shooter used a revolver? Almost never. The public has NO NEED for a weapon that's only purpose is for killing people. It's that simple. Dayton shooter. Killed 9 people and he was dead 30 seconds after he started shooting. Do people need a weapon like that to go hunt rabbits? No. 

An older pic, but the point is pretty clear...

Texan1211
Professor Principal
4.1.5  Texan1211  replied to  MrFrost @4.1.4    5 years ago

@4.1.4

I have not advocated for anyone owning that weapon.

MrFrost
Professor Expert
6  seeder  MrFrost    5 years ago

At what point does the pushback against the 2nd start? When we all live in bunkers with roof mounted 50's on the family SUV? When going to wal-mart means full body armor and a SAW, (squad automatic weapon)?

If we are going to use 232 year old laws to govern weapons, then confiscate all weapons and hand out muskets. 

Texan1211
Professor Principal
6.1  Texan1211  replied to  MrFrost @6    5 years ago
At what point does the pushback against the 2nd start?

Never, without a Constitutional Amendment.

Do you want to go back to the original Constitution sans Amendments?

MrFrost
Professor Expert
6.1.1  seeder  MrFrost  replied to  Texan1211 @6.1    5 years ago

Do you really think the founders would have penned the 2nd the way they did had they known we would literally have more than mass shooting per day in this country 200 years later? You think they would be thrilled that people are walking into schools and killing kids by the dozen? I seriously doubt it. 

Dean Moriarty
Professor Quiet
6.1.2  Dean Moriarty  replied to  MrFrost @6.1.1    5 years ago

Of course they would they just got done fighting their government to win their freedom and independence. 

MrFrost
Professor Expert
6.1.3  seeder  MrFrost  replied to  Dean Moriarty @6.1.2    5 years ago

So you think they would be ok with mass shootings at schools? Or in a wal-mart? I really doubt it Dean. And how many people would be killed in a mass shooting 232 years ago? What...MAYBE 2? 

Texan1211
Professor Principal
6.1.4  Texan1211  replied to  MrFrost @6.1.3    5 years ago
So you think they would be ok with mass shootings at schools? Or in a wal-mart? I really doubt it Dean. And how many people would be killed in a mass shooting 232 years ago? What...MAYBE 2?

No one is even suggesting that anyone is okay with it.

Just because some of us don't go batshit crazy, ready to tear the Second Amendment to pieces doesn't equate with caring.

MrFrost
Professor Expert
6.1.5  seeder  MrFrost  replied to  Texan1211 @6.1.4    5 years ago

Just because some of us don't go batshit crazy, ready to tear the Second Amendment to pieces doesn't equate with caring.

I own lots of guns, far more than most. I support the 2nd amendment as much as anyone. The difference is that I can support the 2nd amendment and recognize that changes CLEARLY need to be made in our gun laws. If that's going, "bat shit crazy", that's YOUR problem, not mine. 

Texan1211
Professor Principal
6.1.6  Texan1211  replied to  MrFrost @6.1.5    5 years ago

I am not against some changes.

You were the one who brought up "pushing back against the Second Amendment".

I don't have any problems that can be solved magically by a law or a politician.

MrFrost
Professor Expert
6.1.8  seeder  MrFrost  replied to    5 years ago

So yet more gun laws is your solution.

Well, more guns certainly isn't working. 

KDMichigan
Junior Participates
7  KDMichigan    5 years ago

Can we at least wait till the bodies cool down before we start spewing talking points.....never mind.

MrFrost
Professor Expert
7.1  seeder  MrFrost  replied to  KDMichigan @7    5 years ago

Can we at least wait till the bodies cool down before we start spewing talking points.....never mind.

Yea, it's always too soon to talk about it, but that's because they happen so often. 

Was just two weeks ago that trump was all for expanded background checks and one call from the NRA and he changed his tune. Every time there is a mass shooting, trumps chances of getting re-elected go down because he is owned by the NRA and refuses to do anything. 

lady in black
Professor Quiet
7.2  lady in black  replied to  KDMichigan @7    5 years ago

How many more mass shootings do you want to happen before we TALK about it and really DO something about it 1 more, 5 more, 20 more, 50 more....how many until it's  someone you love.

MrFrost
Professor Expert
7.2.1  seeder  MrFrost  replied to  lady in black @7.2    5 years ago
how many until it's  someone you love.

This is something the 2a crowd never thinks about. I would be willing to bet that between this shooting, El Paso and Dayton, there were 2a gun freaks that were murdered where they stood. Even sadder? They were killed by weapons that were bought legally that they supported. 

Texan1211
Professor Principal
7.2.2  Texan1211  replied to  lady in black @7.2    5 years ago
How many more mass shootings do you want to happen before we TALK about it and really DO something about it 1 more, 5 more, 20 more, 50 more....how many until it's someone you love.

Besides the perpetrators of these horrific crimes, I see absolutely NO ONE wanting more shootings.

MrFrost
Professor Expert
7.2.3  seeder  MrFrost  replied to  Texan1211 @7.2.2    5 years ago
I see absolutely NO ONE wanting more shootings.

But I DO see a lot of people with the power to do something and NOT doing ANYTHING. 

Texan1211
Professor Principal
7.2.4  Texan1211  replied to  MrFrost @7.2.3    5 years ago
But I DO see a lot of people with the power to do something and NOT doing ANYTHING.

Then you should really, really, really let your reps know how you feel.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
7.3  Texan1211  replied to  KDMichigan @7    5 years ago

Reminds me of Rahm Emmanuel's quote--

‘You never want a serious crisis to go to waste'

KDMichigan
Junior Participates
7.3.1  KDMichigan  replied to  Texan1211 @7.3    5 years ago
You never want a serious crisis to go to waste'

Yup. It is rather disgusting in my opinion.

MrFrost
Professor Expert
7.3.2  seeder  MrFrost  replied to  Texan1211 @7.3    5 years ago
‘You never want a serious crisis to go to waste'

BENGHAZI!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Texan1211
Professor Principal
7.3.3  Texan1211  replied to  MrFrost @7.3.2    5 years ago
BENGHAZI!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That is probably best handled on another article.

MrFrost
Professor Expert
7.3.4  seeder  MrFrost  replied to  Texan1211 @7.3.3    5 years ago

That is probably best handled on another article.

This is my article. Don't like it, you are welcome to leave. 

Texan1211
Professor Principal
7.3.5  Texan1211  replied to  MrFrost @7.3.4    5 years ago
This is my article

That isn't in dispute.

Don't like it, you are welcome to leave.

I know.

MrFrost
Professor Expert
9  seeder  MrFrost    5 years ago

So doing absolutely nothing is the answer. Got it.