no-trump

Category:  Other

Via:  buzz-of-the-orient  •  5 years ago  •  2 comments

no-trump
"...no suit is designated as trump for the duration..."

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

"no-trump"

THE FREE DICTIONARY

Also found in:   Thesaurus ,   Encyclopedia ,   Wikipedia .

no-trump

(nō′trŭmp′)

n.

1.   A   declaration   to   play   a   hand   without   a   trump   suit   in   bridge   and   other   card   games.

2.   A   hand   played   without   a   trump   suit.

American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.

no-trump

n

(Bridge)   a   bid   or   contract   to   play   without   trumps

adj

(Bridge)   (of   a   hand)   of   balanced   distribution   suitable   for   playing   without   trumps

Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014

no′-trump′

adj.

1.   (of   a   hand,   bid,   or   contract   in   bridge)   without   a   trump   suit;   noting   a   bid   or   contract   to   be   played   without   naming   a   trump   suit.

n.

2.   the   bid   to   play   a   no-trump   contract.

[1895–1900]

Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.

Thesaurus Antonyms Related   Words Synonyms Legend:

Switch   to   new thesaurus
Noun 1. no-trump   -   a   version   of   contract   bridge   in   which   no   suit   is   designated   as   trump   for   the   duration   of   the   hand
contract bridge ,   contract   -   a   variety   of   bridge   in   which   the   bidder   receives   points   toward   game   only   for   the   number   of   tricks   he   bid

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
1  seeder  Buzz of the Orient    5 years ago

A lot of people here want to bid "no-trump".  I never realized there were so many Bridge players on this site.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
2  seeder  Buzz of the Orient    5 years ago

I guess I was wrong.  Having the word "trump" in the title ISN'T a draw - it sure as hell has seemed it was.