╌>

New "SNL" cast member Shane Gillis exposed in videos using racist and homophobic slurs

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  john-russell  •  5 years ago  •  18 comments

New "SNL" cast member Shane Gillis exposed in videos using racist and homophobic slurs
In a now-deleted YouTube video, Gillis and his co-host, Matt McCusker, shared a slew of racist "jokes" against Chinese-Americans, mocking their accents and culture. The page for "Matt and Shane's Secret Podcast" is now completely devoid of content. 

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

BY SOPHIE LEWISSEPTEMBER 13, 2019 / 2:13 PM / CBS NEWS

Shortly after comedian Shane Gillis was named one of the newest cast members of "Saturday Night Live," videos showing him making racist, sexist and homophobic remarks immediately went viral. Now, Gillis is attempting to apologize for the comments as fans call for him to be fired. 

NBC announced Gillis, Chloe Fineman and Bowen Yang as the newest SNL cast members Thursday. Just hours later, a video went viral on Twitter in which Gillis mocks Chinese people, using several racial slurs during an episode of his podcast last year. 

In a now-deleted YouTube video, Gillis and his co-host, Matt McCusker, shared a slew of racist "jokes" against Chinese-Americans, mocking their accents and culture. The page for "Matt and Shane's Secret Podcast" is now completely devoid of content. 

"Let the f---ing ch---- live there," Gillis said, referring to New York City's Chinatown neighborhood. The two go on to mock Chinatown's architecture and food, complaining extensively about MSG and calling noodles, "nooders."  

In the same video, Gillis and McCusker joke about going to Thailand to "party with ladyboys" and complain about other ethnicities being racist against white people. 

In another podcast episode, the duo rank comedians by race, gender and sexuality. They repeatedly make sexist and racist remarks and use homophobic slurs throughout.  

"White chicks are literally the bottom," Gillis said. "Ali Wong is making it so Asian chicks are funnier than white chicks."

They also refer to Judd Apatow and Chris Gethard as "white fa---- comics" and "f---ing gayer than ISIS." 

Gillis shared a statement on the videos late Thursday night, calling himself a "comedian who pushes boundaries." While he didn't apologize in the statement, he said he would be "happy to apologize to anyone who's actually offended" by what he's said. He called the racist comments "risks" that missed the mark. 

Gillis, Fineman and Yang were named to SNL for the show's 45th season, which begins at the end of the month. Yang, who started writing for the show last year, is openly gay and the show's first Chinese-American cast member. 

Gillis is facing massive backlash on Twitter, and people are calling on NBC to replace him.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
1  seeder  JohnRussell    5 years ago

I listened to a little of a couple of these podcasts, and my guess would be that he is going to lose his job with SNL. 

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
2  seeder  JohnRussell    5 years ago
gPCGXXtl_normal.png
Cindy Pika Chu
@iamcindychu

If you’re a comic & you think calling Chinese ppl chinks is funny, you’re a hack AND a racist. Oh, & you’re going to make fun of Chinese accents by replacing Ls w/ Rs? For every untalented Shane Gillis there are hundreds of talented Bowen Yangs who have had to fight tooth & nail

https:// twitter.com/iamcindychu/st atus/1172297535647444992 

8ajIG--G_normal.jpg
Good Good Comedy Theatre @goodgoodcomedy

We, like many, were very quickly disgusted by Shane Gillis' overt racism, sexism, homophobia and transphobia - expressed both on and off stage - upon working with him years ago. We've deliberately chosen not to work with him in the years since.

=================================================================================

There are some twitter videos accessible on this page

that I can't embed here.  If you look at these twitter videos you will see exactly what people are complaining about, as they are from the podcast show. 

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
3  seeder  JohnRussell    5 years ago
John Ziegler
@Zigmanfreud
·
21h
Replying to
Just be be clear, if we continue to vet young comedians breaking into the mainstream more rigorously for political correctness violations than we did our president, the “comedy” of the future is going to be even more boring than it is today.
==========================================================================
What this guy is saying is that because we have allowed a jagoff like Trump to do well, we have to let jagoffs on SNL and other mass media. 

Dulay
Professor Expert
3.1  Dulay  replied to  JohnRussell @3    5 years ago

The irony is that Gillis' form of 'comedy' is boring. Pretending that his comedy is 'edgy' and 'pushes the boundaries' is bullshit. Demeaning minorities for a punchline is lazy and juvenile. 

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
5  Sean Treacy    5 years ago

Can't sin against liberal orthodoxy.  The SJW lynch mob will cancel him and stick his metaphorical head on a pike. 

Bad times to be a heretic. 

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
5.1  seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  Sean Treacy @5    5 years ago

I believe in freedom of speech and comedians can be racist if they want to. If they attract an audience to it, fine, although I would call that reprehensible. 

Where is he guaranteed a job on a network television show?  By tradition and past reality network shows are "mainstream" appealing to wide demographics as their audience. 

I listened to some of his stuff and it is blatantly racist. Let him stay on You Tube or podcasts. 

Texan1211
Professor Principal
5.1.2  Texan1211  replied to  JohnRussell @5.1    5 years ago

Seems fucking unbelievable that SNL didn't look at the videos that were out there.

WTF were they thinking?

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
5.1.3  seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  Release The Kraken @5.1.1    5 years ago

I dont think they are going to keep someone who made "comic" videos containing  racist comments on Saturday Night live, but I could be wrong. 

In 1961 Mickey Rooney was presented as a buck toothed ,near sighted , Oriental with a ching-chong dialect in the movie Breakfast at Tiffanys. 

mickey-rooney-breakfast-at-tiffanys.jpg

Such portrayals are no longer "politically correct".  If SNL does a skit about the prime minister of Japan do you think they should depict him like Mickey Rooney? 

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
5.1.5  Sean Treacy  replied to  JohnRussell @5.1    5 years ago

I have no idea what he said.  I'm more concerned with the online army of modern day Pavilk Morozovs running to corporations to cancel people they disagree with.   

sixpick
Professor Quiet
8  sixpick    5 years ago

Can't find this on YouTube any longer.  The Mickey Rooney comment reminded me of it.