╌>

Trump says he didn't offer Iran a meeting without preconditions. He did, repeatedly.

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  krishna  •  5 years ago  •  10 comments

Trump says he didn't offer Iran a meeting without preconditions. He did, repeatedly.
“No preconditions. No. If they want to meet, I’ll meet. Anytime they want. Anytime they want. It’s good for the country, good for them, good for us, and good for the world. No preconditions. If they want to meet, I’ll meet.”

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

WASHINGTON – President  Donald Trump is denying he previously  offered to meet Iranian leaders without preconditions, despite a litany of instances in which he did just that.

Trump’s remarks come as tensions mount in the Middle East following an attack over the weekend on  Saudi Arabian oil facilities . Though it is unclear who is responsible, U.S. officials are looking to Iran. The attack has scuttled talk that Trump and Iranian President Hassan Rouhani could meet in New York next week at the United Nations.

“The Fake News is saying that I am willing to meet with Iran, ‘No Conditions.’ That is an incorrect statement (as usual!),” Trump posted on Twitter on Sunday.

But the president has repeatedly said he would meet with Rouhani without requiring concessions in advance. His top aides were making that point as recently as last week. 

Here are some examples of Trump and members of his administration extending the offer of a meeting.  

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Krishna
Professor Expert
1  seeder  Krishna    5 years ago

“The Fake News is saying that I am willing to meet with Iran, ‘No Conditions.’ That is an incorrect statement (as usual!),” Trump posted on Twitter on Sunday.

But the president has repeatedly said he would meet with Rouhani without requiring concessions in advance. His top aides were making that point as recently as last week. 

July 30, 2018 : Speaking to reporters in the  East Room during a press conference , Trump’s remarks were clear: “No preconditions. No. If they want to meet, I’ll meet.  Anytime they want. Anytime they want. It’s good for the country, good for them, good for us, and good for the world. No preconditions. If they want to meet, I’ll meet.”

Krishna
Professor Expert
2  seeder  Krishna    5 years ago

Sept. 10, 2019: Trump’s top aides have gotten the message. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo and Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin told reporters at the White House last week that the president’s position on a meeting is clear. “The president has made very clear he is prepared to meet with no preconditions,” Pompeo said during that briefing.

Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom
Professor Guide
3  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom    5 years ago

What a ding-dong!  On CNN just now, they showed at least 5 clips of Trump, and one of Steve Mnuchin and one of Mike Pompeo stating that there were no conditions.   

I would love to wake up in the morning and discover that Barack Obama was still President of the United States.

Krishna
Professor Expert
4  seeder  Krishna    5 years ago

The man is a total nutcase.

But perhaps more importantly-- what does this whole brouhaha say about his followers? 

(Hahaha?)

The Fake News is saying that I am willing to meet with Iran, ‘No Conditions.’ That is an incorrect statement (as usual!),” Trump wrote to his more than 64 million Twitter followers.

igknorantzrulz
PhD Quiet
4.1  igknorantzrulz  replied to  Krishna @4    5 years ago

morons