╌>

A 'The Princess Bride' remake? Inconceivable!

Category:  Entertainment

Via:  buzz-of-the-orient  •  5 years ago  •  11 comments

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

After Sony Pictures Entertainment chief executive Tony Vinciquerra mentioned the idea of a "The Princess Bride " reboot to Variety in a profile on the film's executive producer, Norman Lear, people on Twitter were quick to respond.

(CNN) - "The Princess Bride" is fine just the way it is, thank you very much.

After Sony Pictures Entertainment chief executive Tony Vinciquerra mentioned the idea of a reboot to  Variety  in a profile on the film's executive producer, Norman Lear, people on Twitter were quick to respond.

"We have so many people coming to us saying, 'We want to remake this show or that show,'" Vinciquerra said. "Very famous people whose names I won't use, but they want to redo 'The Princess Bride.'"

Cary Elwes, who plays the film's hero, Westley, said it would be a shame to remake the 1987 comedy.

"There's a shortage of perfect movies in this world," Elwes wrote in a Tweet. "It would be a pity to damage this one."

Jamie Lee Curtis, who is married to "The Princess Bride" actor Christopher Guest, had her own opinion.

"Oh really? Well, I married the six fingered man, obviously why we have stayed together for 35 years and there is only ONE The Princess Bride and it's William Goldman and @robreiner's," she wrote. "'Life is pain highness. Anyone who says differently is selling something!'"

Seth Rogen assured a commenter who suggested he was behind a remake that he was not, and would never consider it.

"I would never dare," he tweeted.

Fans defended the original too, with many people crying outrage over the idea of a remake even being suggested.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
1  seeder  Buzz of the Orient    5 years ago

Does one gild a lily? 

Would anyone DARE try to remake movies like Roman Holiday, Casablanca, Gone With the Wind, War and Peace?

I just watched a reboot of the Christopher Reeves, Margot Kidder version of Superman, called Man of Steel.  Even though it had actors like Russell Crowe, Lawrence Fishburne, Kevin Costner, it was HORRID - nothing but violence, fighting and destruction - what a mess.

pat wilson
Professor Participates
1.1  pat wilson  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @1    5 years ago

It was a bad movie, period.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
1.1.1  seeder  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  pat wilson @1.1    5 years ago

You replied to my comment so do you mean Man of Steel or Princess Bride?

pat wilson
Professor Participates
1.1.2  pat wilson  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @1.1.1    5 years ago

Man of Steel 

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
1.1.3  seeder  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  pat wilson @1.1.2    5 years ago

It was really bad. I'll never watch it again, but it's not the worst movie I've seen lately.

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
1.2  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @1    5 years ago

Reboot of Princess Bride? Sacrilege I tell you, sacrilege!

dave-2693993
Junior Quiet
3  dave-2693993    5 years ago

Is the original Princess Bride that good a movie?

An ex inlaw has been telly me for quite a while I should watch the movie, and you should know me by now when it comes to such things as movies and tv. Seldom on the radar.

Though every few weeks we (Julia and I) like to share a movie together. 

Maybe we can work Princess Bride in?

Of course this weekend she needs to travel to Odessa to "experiment a new machine". Has to do with graphic design, So this weekends planned movie is out the window...

...Maybe I will watch The Odessa Files during her 6 hour train ride?

Tacos!
Professor Guide
3.1  Tacos!  replied to  dave-2693993 @3    5 years ago
Is the original Princess Bride that good a movie?

Yes! All those years ago when I first saw it, I was stunned at how good it is. I had zero interest in seeing it, knew nothing about it, and I was amazed. Since then I've probably seen it 20 or 30 times - at least in pieces. It's wonderful, and completely unique. If you haven't seen it, you really should.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
3.1.1  seeder  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Tacos! @3.1    5 years ago

"As you wish."

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
4  Sean Treacy    5 years ago

Worst idea ever.

Tacos!
Professor Guide
5  Tacos!    5 years ago
"Very famous people whose names I won't use, but they want to redo 'The Princess Bride.'"

I can't imagine anyone who shouldn't be in a mental institution would suggest such a thing. Might as well remake Casablanca or Gone With the Wind. I truly don't believe anyone is actually trying to remake Princess Bride.