╌>

Leonard Cohen’s first posthumous album revealed: ‘Thanks for the Dance’

Category:  Entertainment

Via:  buzz-of-the-orient  •  5 years ago  •  3 comments

Leonard Cohen’s first posthumous album revealed: ‘Thanks for the Dance’

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

Leonard Cohen’s first posthumous album revealed: ‘Thanks for the Dance’ By Adam Wallis, National Online Journalist, Entertainment   Global News, September 20 2019

cpt10920513.jpg?quality=70&strip=all&w=5

In this Aug. 18, 2010 file photo, singer Leonard Cohen performs open air at the Waldbuehne in Berlin.

AP Photo/DAPD, Kai-'Uwe Knoth

On Friday morning, Columbia Records announced that it will be releasing a brand new   Leonard Cohen   album — the first since the Canadian icon’s death in 2016.

The record,  Thanks for the Dance  (2019), was produced by the singer’s son, Adam Cohen, and was revealed alongside its first single,   The Goal.

The one minute, 30-second acoustic track serves as an intimate introduction to the forthcoming album. Similar to many of Leonard Cohen’s previous musical works, his lyrics and croon serve more like a poem than a song.

Because only recordings of his father’s voice were left for the younger Cohen, Adam enlisted a number of musicians to help him complete the commemorative album, including Beck, Damien Rice, Feist and band members from Arcade Fire and The National.

“In composing and arranging the music for his words, we chose his most characteristic musical signatures, in this way keeping him with us,” Adam Cohen, 46, said in a press release.

READ MORE:   Canada Post to reveal Leonard Cohen commemorative stamp to mark late singer’s birthday

“What moves me most about the album is the startled response of those who have heard it. ‘Leonard lives!’ they say, one after the other.”

The statement later confirmed that   Thanks for the Dance   would not just be a compilation album or a collection of B-sides and outtakes, but an “unexpected harvest of new songs”.

It described them as “exciting and vital” and ultimately “a continuation of the master’s final work.”

“Leonard Cohen has robbed death of the last word,” concluded the release.

The Goal  is now available through   all major streaming platforms .

Thanks for the Dance  will be released on Nov. 22. The album is now available for   pre-orders .

Additional updates and information can be found through the   official Leonard Cohen website .

BUZZ NOTE:  There are two videos on this seed that I am unable to open, one being the new song "The Goal" and the other being a tribute to Leonard Cohen. Click the SEEDED CONTENT link at the top of the page, or this link to go to the original article and be able to watch the videos.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
1  seeder  Buzz of the Orient    5 years ago

For some reason the link did not show up on my copy, but here is the link to the original article again:

dave-2693993
Junior Quiet
2  dave-2693993    5 years ago

All the links worked here Buzz.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
2.1  seeder  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  dave-2693993 @2    5 years ago

Leonard Cohen, author, poet, songwriter, musician, has been my favourite musician for 54 years, from when I first watched him on an outdoor stage on a cool evening at the Mariposa Folk Festival as he mesmerized a big audience into absolute silence by singing Suzanne, and the hair on the back of my neck stood up. 

I'm looking forward to seeing the postal stamps being unveiled by Canada Post, a fitting tribute to an iconic Canadian.

It was rumoured that Bob Dylan once said that Leonard Cohen was the only musician who intimidated him.  The dictionary meaning that he must have meant was to have great respect for someone.