╌>

Studies Show that Husbands Stress Women Twice as Much as Children

Category:  Mental Health and Wellness

Via:  loretta-mashkawidee-kemsley  •  5 years ago  •  110 comments

Studies Show that Husbands Stress Women Twice as Much as Children
According to neuroscientists, the human brain is a sex-typed organ with distinct structure and function. In other words, men and women are different in every aspect.

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

A 2013 study involved 7,000 women. The women were supposed to rate their stress level on a scale of 0-10. What was the average? 8.5. Well, this doesn’t come as a surprise. What’s the biggest cause of stress for all those women? Their husbands.

Here are some other sources of stress for moms:

• Lack of time to get everything done
  • Responsibility for all the household duties around the home
  • Lack of help from their spouses
  • Single moms have the highest levels of stress because they don’t have enough support from their spouses

To be honest, moms do twice as many tasks as fathers. Moms know they can do everything right, which isn’t the case with their husbands. Women spend more time taking care of their family than men.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Loretta Mashkawide'e Kemsley
Professor Participates
1  seeder  Loretta Mashkawide'e Kemsley    5 years ago

From the article:

A 2015 study confirmed that fathers have higher level of avoidance and more egoistic motivations to offer help. They don’t have high ability to recognize other people’s needs. They also have lower levels of mindful parenting than moms.

We’re not trying to convince you that men care less and don’t love their kids and wives. It’s all in the way they perceive parenting. Women do it differently.

Studies in mammal genetics confirmed that the maternal instinct is pre-programmed in females in utero, and this has something to do with the predominant female sex hormones.

Moms are frustrated with the fact that their spouses act more like kids than active parents. Dads usually sit back and ignore the dirty dishes.

A study conducted by the University of Padova (Italy) confirmed that when one spouse dies after long years of marriage, widowers are depressed and unhealthy. Widows have their stress levels reduced and have lesser chance of becoming frail.

bbl-1
Professor Quiet
2  bbl-1    5 years ago

Makes sense at least for modern day America I guess.

After all, seems most women would feel stressed by a husband that supports the party and the ideology to take away the birth control.  And that is just one thing.

There are dozens of other examples by the 'new conservatism.'

Jack_TX
Professor Quiet
2.1  Jack_TX  replied to  bbl-1 @2    5 years ago
After all, seems most women would feel stressed by a husband that supports the party and the ideology to take away the birth control. 

You think it's the husbands who support that ideology.....  

That's hilarious.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
2.2  Texan1211  replied to  bbl-1 @2    5 years ago

I know of no party that would like to do away with birth control.

Please show us in that party's website or platform.

Thanks.

bbl-1
Professor Quiet
2.2.1  bbl-1  replied to  Texan1211 @2.2    5 years ago

You don't pay attention to the christian/gop world?

No website.  No platform.  It's the judges.  Its the judges.

Jack_TX
Professor Quiet
2.2.2  Jack_TX  replied to  Texan1211 @2.2    5 years ago
I know of no party that would like to do away with birth control.

That's because it only exists in the wild imaginations of a very few liberals.

bbl-1
Professor Quiet
2.2.3  bbl-1  replied to  Jack_TX @2.2.2    5 years ago

One more right wing judge and Roe is gone.

Jack_TX
Professor Quiet
2.2.4  Jack_TX  replied to  bbl-1 @2.2.3    5 years ago
One more right wing judge and Roe is gone.

What does that have to do with birth control?   Surely you're not suggesting that abortion is simply an alternative to an IUD.

bbl-1
Professor Quiet
2.2.5  bbl-1  replied to  Jack_TX @2.2.4    5 years ago

Everything.

Freefaller
Professor Quiet
2.2.6  Freefaller  replied to  Jack_TX @2.2.4    5 years ago
What does that have to do with birth control? 

I do believe abortions control births, so birth control would seem to be an accurate term.

Jack_TX
Professor Quiet
2.2.7  Jack_TX  replied to  bbl-1 @2.2.5    5 years ago
Everything.

It would seem the primary connection between the two is simply the far left hysteria about both.  

Jack_TX
Professor Quiet
2.2.8  Jack_TX  replied to  Freefaller @2.2.6    5 years ago
I do believe abortions control births, so birth control would seem to be an accurate term.

That's a bit like calling bulimia a weight loss program.

Professor Participates
2.2.9  seeder  Loretta Mashkawide'e Kemsley  replied to  Texan1211 @2.2    5 years ago

Trump's Relentless War Against Birth Control

For the moment at least, efforts to repeal Obamacare are on hold, but the bid to limit contraceptive coverage is chugging right along. Even without a repeal of Obamacare, the Administration is moving to weaken Obamacare's "contraceptive mandate," which requires private, non-grandfathered, insurance plans to cover contraceptive services without requirement of a co-pay.

A draft "interim final rule" is already working its way through the Department of Health and Human Services (HHS). It would make it a whole lot easier for employers to drop contraceptive coverage for contraceptive services. An employer with any religious or moral objection to birth control could drop coverage for its employees without even having to notify the federal government.

Now that the latest effort to "repeal and replace" Obamacare has faltered, the pressure to do something on the regulatory front will, almost certainly, increase. Stay tuned.

Meanwhile, however, a battle over funding of family planning programs looms on the horizon. The House of Representatives has voted to eliminate all funding for Title X, a federal program that supports family planning clinics serving low-income neighborhoods and communities.

Established in 1970 with strong support from President Richard Nixon, Title X has helped tens of millions of women prevent unwanted pregnancies. The House also wants to ax all funding for evidence-based teen pregnancy prevention programs in favor of ineffective "abstinence-only" programs.

On the international front, the Trump Administration earlier this year suspended, by executive action, U.S. support for the United Nations Population Fund (UNFPA), despite the vital role it plays in meeting the reproductive health needs of women in developing countries and refugee camps.

Trump's proposed budget would go much further, eliminating all U.S. support for family planning programs in developing countries. The House-passed FY2018 appropriations bill stopped short of terminating our bilateral support for family planning, but approved a 25 percent cut in funding that would have a devastating impact on some of the poorest countries in the world.

All these efforts are part of a larger and unprecedented attack on birth control that gained critical momentum after the 2010 elections, when Republicans regained control of the U.S. House of Representatives.

There was a time, not that long ago, when the idea of improving access to family planning programs enjoyed broad bipartisan support, but the number of Congressional Republicans willing to stand up for birth control has dwindled today to a dozen or less.

The battle, however, has also been raging at the state level, where politically motivated attacks on Planned Parenthood and cuts in state support for Title X family planning clinics have forced the closure of dozens of clinics in states like Texas and New Jersey.

Support for contraception is also under assault in the courts with the appointment of a growing number of social conservatives to the federal bench, including the U.S. Supreme Court's new associate justice, Neil Gorsuch.

In the next three years Trump-appointed judges, at all levels of the federal judiciary, could create an increasingly hostile environment for birth control, as well as, abortion rights.

From a public policy perspective, none of this makes sense. The arguments commonly made against contraception do not withstand scrutiny, including the attacks on Planned Parenthood. Limiting access to contraception will lead to more abortions, not fewer, and it could even increase maternal mortality rates.

Experience also demonstrates that when access to contraception is curtailed the tax bill increases, as federal and state expenditures for Medicaid rise. And when government support for evidence-based sexuality education is cut, more teenage pregnancies result.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
2.2.10  Texan1211  replied to  bbl-1 @2.2.1    5 years ago
You don't pay attention to the christian/gop world?

I sure do, which is why I specifically asked my question, and you utterly failed at answering.

No website.  No platform.  It's the judges.  Its the judges.

Which judges? Can you name any judge who wants to ban contraceptives? And how can a single judge do that, pray tell?

Jack_TX
Professor Quiet
2.2.11  Jack_TX  replied to  Loretta Mashkawide'e Kemsley @2.2.9    5 years ago

Interesting how ceasing to buy people stuff is somehow considered a "war" on that stuff.

Buy this "logic", we're already engaged in a "war on guns".  We also have a "war on BMWs", a "war on beach houses", a "war on caviar" and a "war on Armani suits".   I, for one, am astonished to learn that the Trump administration has been so openly hostile to wealth and privilege all along, not to mention their nefarious undermining of the 2nd Amendment.  Who knew?  

Texan1211
Professor Principal
2.2.13  Texan1211  replied to  Loretta Mashkawide'e Kemsley @2.2.9    5 years ago

just call me old-school.

I just figure everyone should pay for their own contraceptives. Seems like the adult thing to do to me.

Planned Parenthood has closed some clinics by their choice. Not a thing stopping them from opening new ones except themselves.

While paying for birth control in other countries is admirable, it is not really our responsibility to do so. Let the EU take on the expense for a while. Or China, Russia, or any other country that wants to do so.

For all the hullabaloo over the supposed GOP opposition to birth control, we still have it readily available---even in (GASP!) a red state like Texas.

Freefaller
Professor Quiet
2.2.15  Freefaller  replied to  Jack_TX @2.2.8    5 years ago
That's a bit like calling bulimia a weight loss program.

LMAO, no it wouldn't

JBB
Professor Principal
2.2.16  JBB  replied to  Texan1211 @2.2.13    5 years ago

In that case you should not complain when the out of control reproductive of poor undereducated underemployed brown peoples drowns out the current system's ability to maintain the status quo. At that point the poor unwashed masses of humanity will have no options left for survival other than to rise up and overwhelm the last vestiges of the privileged white patriarchy you so take for granted...

Texan1211
Professor Principal
2.2.18  Texan1211  replied to  JBB @2.2.16    5 years ago
In that case you should not complain when the out of control reproductive of poor undereducated underemployed brown peoples drowns out the current system's ability to maintain the status quo. At that point the poor unwashed masses of humanity will have no options left for survival other than to rise up and overwhelm the last vestiges of the privileged white patriarchy you so take for granted...

That comment is racist.

Wow, I am soooo surprised.

I will complain about anything and everything if I so choose to do so.

I see no need or point in my paying for other people to screw and have kids that they don't want and can't afford.

I just want a little personal responsibility to be brought into play here.

Is that seriously asking for too much?

Do you think the government needs to be involved in contraception?

igknorantzrulz
PhD Quiet
2.2.20  igknorantzrulz  replied to    5 years ago

if so, then i'm envious of poor black fuckers.

i wish to be poor, and fuck all day

it could/would beat being a rich masturbator

though i'm neither

Jack_TX
Professor Quiet
2.2.21  Jack_TX  replied to  JBB @2.2.16    5 years ago
In that case you should not complain when the out of control reproductive of poor undereducated underemployed brown peoples drowns out the current system's ability to maintain the status quo.

Nominee for "Racist Tirade of the Month".

At that point the poor unwashed masses of humanity will have no options left for survival other than to rise up and overwhelm the last vestiges of the privileged white patriarchy you so take for granted...

Disappointing to hear you think so little of minorities.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
2.2.22  Texan1211  replied to    5 years ago
Didn't you know all of us black folk are poor and just fuck all day long.

I am going to have to get onto some folks I know. Seems they aren't holding up their end very well.  

igknorantzrulz
PhD Quiet
2.2.25  igknorantzrulz  replied to    5 years ago

nor healthy, or wise.

but worth, is not quantitative,

health not always demonstrative,

but you might find, i take more, when i Give

It Is ME
Masters Guide
2.2.26  It Is ME  replied to  Loretta Mashkawide'e Kemsley @2.2.9    5 years ago

Why is it so hard for Women to "FORCE" a Man to buy/have a cheap condom before the deed ?

Dulay
Professor Expert
2.2.27  Dulay  replied to  Jack_TX @2.2.21    5 years ago
Nominee for "Racist Tirade of the Month".

Yet neither of you Texans saw fit to bring it to the attention of the moderators. Hmm...

KDMichigan
Junior Participates
2.2.29  KDMichigan  replied to  Dulay @2.2.27    5 years ago
Yet neither of you Texans saw fit to bring it to the attention of the moderators. Hmm...

[deleted]

Dulay
Professor Expert
2.2.30  Dulay  replied to  KDMichigan @2.2.29    5 years ago
Removed for context - s

Hey maybe you could justify bringing up off topic comments from prior seeds by telling us why you need to deflect ad nauseam.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
2.2.31  Texan1211  replied to  Dulay @2.2.27    5 years ago
Yet neither of you Texans saw fit to bring it to the attention of the moderators. Hmm..

Would telling the mods make it less racist?

I want people to see it so they know exactly the kind of person they are dealing with.

Dulay
Professor Expert
2.2.32  Dulay  replied to  Texan1211 @2.2.31    5 years ago
Would telling the mods make it less racist? I want people to see it so they know exactly the kind of person they are dealing with.

Flagging a comment that you deem as racist follows the forum rules that you signed onto. WHY you want what you deem as racist to remain on the forum is irrelevant. 

KDMichigan
Junior Participates
2.2.33  KDMichigan  replied to  Dulay @2.2.32    5 years ago
WHY you want what you deem as racist to remain on the forum is irrelevant. 

Kind of like your comment to begin with. 

Texan1211
Professor Principal
2.2.34  Texan1211  replied to  Dulay @2.2.32    5 years ago
Flagging a comment that you deem as racist follows the forum rules that you signed onto. WHY you want what you deem as racist to remain on the forum is irrelevant. 

I am under no obligation to flag any comment to satisfy your whims.

If you don't consider it racist, then obviously we interpreted the comment differently.

So be it.

Jack_TX
Professor Quiet
2.2.35  Jack_TX  replied to  Dulay @2.2.27    5 years ago

Why would I do that?  

This is America.  JBBs right to spew racism is protected by the US Constitution.

If it offends you, you can borrow a pair of my big boy pants.  I have extra.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
2.2.36  Texan1211  replied to  KDMichigan @2.2.33    5 years ago

Exactly!!!!

igknorantzrulz
PhD Quiet
2.2.38  igknorantzrulz  replied to  Jack_TX @2.2.35    5 years ago

Depends   ?

igknorantzrulz
PhD Quiet
2.2.39  igknorantzrulz  replied to    5 years ago

Why does your metashit get to stand?

maybe his doesn't 

stink,

or their wasn't a seat   toilet    humor

stinks

igknorantzrulz
PhD Quiet
2.2.41  igknorantzrulz  replied to    5 years ago

thats the weigh 

to tick off, but i'll buy one and watch.

i've found moderation pretty fair, as there are many things i could contest, basically 99% of wht ive had removed, to date, i only inquired about one double post that earned me double tix, as it was misposted twice , within about 20 seconds

Dulay
Professor Expert
2.2.42  Dulay  replied to  KDMichigan @2.2.33    5 years ago
Kind of like your comment to begin with.

Yet you replied to it and so did Tex. 

Dulay
Professor Expert
2.2.43  Dulay  replied to  Texan1211 @2.2.34    5 years ago
I am under no obligation to flag any comment to satisfy your whims.

Yes, you'd rather whine about it. 

If you don't consider it racist, then obviously we interpreted the comment differently.

My comment was about YOUR comment. 

Texan1211
Professor Principal
2.2.44  Texan1211  replied to  Dulay @2.2.42    5 years ago

And???

Dulay
Professor Expert
2.2.45  Dulay  replied to    5 years ago

[Deleted]

Dulay
Professor Expert
2.2.46  Dulay  replied to  Jack_TX @2.2.35    5 years ago
Why would I do that?  

I wasn't talking to you. 

This is America.  JBBs right to spew racism is protected by the US Constitution.

I'm not the one offended. Try to keep up. Other members whined about it, offer your extra pair to them. 

Texan1211
Professor Principal
2.2.47  Texan1211  replied to  Dulay @2.2.43    5 years ago
Yes, you'd rather whine about it. 

No whining, just trying to explain to you that I am under no obligation to indulge you.

My comment was about YOUR comment. 

Interesting and telling that you didn't consider that comment I referred to as racist in the same way.

Dulay
Professor Expert
2.2.48  Dulay  replied to  Texan1211 @2.2.47    5 years ago
No whining, just trying to explain to you that I am under no obligation to indulge you.

I didn't mean that you were whining about my comment. Of course you know that. 

Interesting and telling that you didn't consider that comment I referred to as racist in the same way.

Devolving to a strawman. Typical. 

Texan1211
Professor Principal
2.2.49  Texan1211  replied to  Dulay @2.2.46    5 years ago
I wasn't talking to you.

LMFAO!

Dulay
Professor Expert
2.2.50  Dulay  replied to  Texan1211 @2.2.49    5 years ago

My bad, I was talkin to both of you. 

His nomination seems to infer that HE was offended. It looks like both of his pairs are faulty. 

Texan1211
Professor Principal
2.2.51  Texan1211  replied to  Dulay @2.2.48    5 years ago
I didn't mean that you were whining about my comment. 

Calling out a racist comment as being racist isn't whining, so WTF were you yakking about?

Texan1211
Professor Principal
2.2.52  Texan1211  replied to  Dulay @2.2.50    5 years ago
My bad, I was talkin to both of you. 

Well, no shit. Which I pointed out.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
2.2.54  Texan1211  replied to  Dulay @2.2.42    5 years ago
Yet you replied to it and so did Tex. 

Our replies are in no way a reflection on the validity of your post.

Professor Participates
2.2.55  seeder  Loretta Mashkawide'e Kemsley  replied to  It Is ME @2.2.26    5 years ago

Did you read what I posted? A wife in Africa does not have that right and may face violence if she tries to exert it. She does not have the right to refuse sex with her husband, so if you were her, would you face a beating each and every time he wants sex when you know he will rape you anyway?

Jack_TX
Professor Quiet
2.2.56  Jack_TX  replied to  Dulay @2.2.46    5 years ago
I wasn't talking to you. 

To which two Texans were you referring?

Other members whined about it

Identifying racism is "whining"?  You sure you want to stick to that?  

Professor Participates
2.3  seeder  Loretta Mashkawide'e Kemsley  replied to  bbl-1 @2    5 years ago
After all, seems most women would feel stressed by a husband that supports the party and the ideology to take away the birth control. 

That would certainly do it, but the article discusses the stress put on wives by husbands who don't do their part around the house and, more importantly, in raising the children.

For example: When she has to pick up his clothes right along with the children's clothes, it's an additional stress she shouldn't have. If he also never helps with the laundry, that too is an additional stress.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
2.3.1  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Loretta Mashkawide'e Kemsley @2.3    5 years ago
For example: When she has to pick up his clothes right along with the children's clothes, it's an additional stress she shouldn't have. If he also never helps with the laundry, that too is an additional stress.

I never had that happen. 

Sunshine
Professor Quiet
2.3.2  Sunshine  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @2.3.1    5 years ago
When she has to pick up his clothes right along with the children's clothes,

I suggest she doesn't do that.  

KDMichigan
Junior Participates
2.4  KDMichigan  replied to  bbl-1 @2    5 years ago
There are dozens of other examples by the 'new conservatism.'

Are you insinuating that all men are conservative and that soy boys make up Liberals? 

Professor Participates
2.4.1  seeder  Loretta Mashkawide'e Kemsley  replied to  KDMichigan @2.4    5 years ago
soy boys

I'm not familiar with that term. Can you enlighten me? Tia.

Just Jim NC TttH
Professor Principal
2.4.2  Just Jim NC TttH  replied to  Loretta Mashkawide'e Kemsley @2.4.1    5 years ago

"According to Urban Dictionary, the term soy boy means: “Slang used to describe males who completely and utterly lack all necessary masculine qualities. This pathetic state is usually achieved by an over-indulgence of emasculating products and/or ideologies."

Professor Participates
2.4.3  seeder  Loretta Mashkawide'e Kemsley  replied to  Just Jim NC TttH @2.4.2    5 years ago

Wow. That's really hateful. I don't understand the need to be so hateful and insulting towards others.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
4  Perrie Halpern R.A.    5 years ago

Loretta, I have to tell you, that my husband was always a huge roll in raising our twin girls from day 1. He worked (so did I), and grandma's pitched in on the days that I worked, but when it came to sharing the housework and raising the girls, my hubby did his fair share. I know many men who are the same way. 

The actual study that I found interesting is the number of parents who said they wouldn't have kids again if they knew what they knew now. I can see why. While I love my kids, and I am very proud of their achievements, when it comes to how they are to mom and dad, I am not sure they will be the kind of kids we are to our parents. They were also a great source of stress in the marriage. 

Professor Participates
4.1  seeder  Loretta Mashkawide'e Kemsley  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @4    5 years ago

Your hubbie sounds like a gem. So glad you have him.

I've seen the same studies. Ann Landers did a poll in 1976, asking her readers the same type of questions. She did it after a couple wrote in asking if they should forego children. Instead of answering herself, she asked her readers what they thought. She was shocked by the replies which were substantially as you stated. Of course, it wasn't a scientific survey, and those who wouldn't do it again might have been more motivated to reply.

Here's a portion of that column:

After five days of reading, counting, and sorting mail, a bleary-eyed staff of eight secretaries announced we had received over 10,000 responses, and--are you ready for this--70 percent of those who wrote said, "No. If I had it to do over again, I would not have children."

Twenty years of writing the Ann Landers column has made me positively shockproof. Or so I thought. But I was wrong. The results of that poll left me stunned, disturbed, and just plain flummoxed.

Could it be? Not only could it be, it is. The message came through loud and clear. Wake up and smell the coffee, Annie old girl. Your readers had blown the American Dream. Motherhood, which always rated right up there with apple pie, Old Glory and the U.S. Marines was due for a reassessment.

About 40 percent of those who wrote to say, "No. I would not have children if I had it to do over again," didn''t sign their names. On the other hand, nearly all the letter that said, "Yes. Our children have brought us great happiness," bore signatures. A number of those who expressed the latter view asked me to print their letters. Many said, "You can use my name if you want to."

Approximately 80 percent of the total response came from women. The average letter ran almost a page longer than the usual Landers letter. I was particularly moved by the intensity of feeling.

Dozens who wrote said, "I am weeping as I write this. It''s the first time I have ever put such thoughts about my children down on paper. It''s painful."

user image
Freshman Silent
5      5 years ago

"Single moms have the highest levels of stress because they don’t have enough support from their spouses"

This article is very odd. Seems like the purpose is to show men how much they stress out their women, but then you point out that mothers without men have the highest levels of stress. It's a tale as old as time. Women in relationships like to blame all of their problems and shortcomings on the men in their life. Then once they convince themselves they aren't the issue and dump their men, they find out the reality that their shortcomings are their own issue and now they really have no help. I experienced this in my own life. My ex wife tried to say it was my fault she never got some good job and had a successful career. I had to laugh when she said this as I always encouraged her to get better jobs, and I helped her graduate college as her math was atrocious(she would not have passed without my tutoring and she acknowledged it herself many times). I always earned more than twice as much as her and it was not because I have different genitalia than her. I would spend my free time studying for certifications, work over time at my job to move myself up. She never did anything with her spare time that was career focused, and didn't even get a job for the degree she got. So this is why I tend to not credit women who try to blame their problems in life on the men in their life, but then will try to turn around and talk about how strong and independent they are. Maybe it's all the political and media pressure on women to be strong and independent, even if they don't have the ability to. Some women need a man even if they don't want to have to admit it. Man shaming is such a common thing. You see it on commercials, shows, movies, politics and so on. It's so predominate that I think many women actually believe all men are dumb and the source of all their problems. Very dangerous mentality.

Jack_TX
Professor Quiet
5.1  Jack_TX  replied to  @5    5 years ago
This article is very odd.

Women complaining about housework and husbands?  Why would that be odd?  

Seems like the purpose is to show men how much they stress out their women, but then you point out that mothers without men have the highest levels of stress.

You spotted that, did you?  Did you catch the part where single moms supposedly have spouses?

Jack_TX
Professor Quiet
5.1.2  Jack_TX  replied to    5 years ago
They mean babies daddy.

So....is he supposed to drop by 3x a week and do the dishes?  What do they expect, actually?

igknorantzrulz
PhD Quiet
5.1.3  igknorantzrulz  replied to  Jack_TX @5.1.2    5 years ago

A dishwasher

KDMichigan
Junior Participates
6  KDMichigan    5 years ago

I had a hard time finding the source of this study, still haven't found it, but your article on a article that  I followed to this article does have a key factor that yours left out.

In 2012, TODAY surveyed fifteen hundred fathers on the same parenting issues. The consensus among dads is that they are doing more for their families than ever before, up to a full half of the parenting and household responsibilities, but feel their efforts are unacknowledged and disrespected by their wives and society as a whole. (These same men’s wives’ perspectives were quite different when it came to estimating the division of labor, providing supporting evidence on this point.)
Over half the men surveyed said they’d just like a spoken acknowledgement-“good job” every once in a while would be encouraging and reflect appreciation for their efforts. (8) While many mothers might roll their eyes at this, modern parents have to recognize that roles and responsibilities have changed drastically over the past sixty years and it wasn’t long ago that a father didn’t-and wasn’t expected to-wash a dish or change a diaper. The fact that most dads today are willing to do (almost) anything for the children is a tremendous change.

In my experience I don't see this article being a true representative of what "Duty's" Men perform. I do cleaning chores, cooking, lawn maintenance, house maintenance, car maintenance, pay for activities. And it seems like most guys I know who "stress" their wives do the same thing.

I'm guessing that the unknown source of this study is from some butt hurt feminist that currently spends all her free time telling everyone how much she hates President Trump sporting her Pussy hat and vagina costume.

Professor Participates
6.1  seeder  Loretta Mashkawide'e Kemsley  replied to  KDMichigan @6    5 years ago
Over half the men surveyed said they’d just like a spoken acknowledgement-“good job” every once in a while

I wonder if these men told their wives "good job" every once in a while.

Here's an article that says men are stepping up more with the children, but not with housework. It also brings up a bugaboo for many women: if men do the same thing a woman does, he's considered special and given more credit than his female counterpart because she's seen as doing what women are supposed to do.

This is from the article, which is well-written and explores the topic in depth:

Meanwhile, everywhere, men get special credit for the chores they do do, because their contribution gets assessed at “the going rate”, as the sociologist Arlie Hochschild put it in her 1989 book The Second Shift : if a man does a bit more than the notional average man in his community, he’s viewed as exceptionally helpful.

Jack_TX
Professor Quiet
6.1.1  Jack_TX  replied to  Loretta Mashkawide'e Kemsley @6.1    5 years ago
It also brings up a bugaboo for many women: if men do the same thing a woman does, he's considered special and given more credit than his female counterpart because she's seen as doing what women are supposed to do.

If that is something they're worried about, they have very easy lives.

igknorantzrulz
PhD Quiet
6.1.3  igknorantzrulz  replied to    5 years ago

sounds like you've got it maid

Sunshine
Professor Quiet
6.1.4  Sunshine  replied to    5 years ago
she gets the maid to do most of the house work.

ha...it must be your fault she needs one jrSmiley_4_smiley_image.png

Sunshine
Professor Quiet
6.1.7  Sunshine  replied to    5 years ago
You know it I have one rule at home I do no work.

I was just teasing you.  Couples need to work out what is best for them and their family's situation. 

TTGA
Professor Silent
6.1.9  TTGA  replied to    5 years ago
We have it all worked out she tells me what to do and I do it.

You use that system too?  Same here; that's why I'm still married after almost 48 years.

KDMichigan
Junior Participates
6.1.11  KDMichigan  replied to  Loretta Mashkawide'e Kemsley @6.1    5 years ago

So basically it's just hate all men for you?

If he doesn't do household chores he is a asshole, If he does do household chores he is a "he thinks he is special" asshole. Got it.

I don't expect a good boy pat on the back if I do something or flowers. 

Freefaller
Professor Quiet
7  Freefaller    5 years ago

Lol while I see no reason to doubt the overall veracity of the article as a single father of two I know if I didn't do the chores the chores or at least harp on the kids to help they simply wouldn't get done.

Freefaller
Professor Quiet
8  Freefaller    5 years ago

Not equating the two but out of idle curiosity but do any of the women here or guys spouses help out with home repairs, automotive stuff, lawn mowing, snow shovelling, general lifting of heavy stuff, etc (traditional mens duties). I know that while I had a wife these sorts of things were definitely my job.

JaneDoe
Sophomore Silent
8.2  JaneDoe  replied to  Freefaller @8    5 years ago
out of idle curiosity but do any of the women here or guys spouses help out with home repairs, automotive stuff, lawn mowing, snow shovelling, general lifting of heavy stuff, etc (traditional mens duties). 

Absolutely!

Home repairs, yes.  I have helped my husband hang drywall, lay porcelain tile and assisted on some mirror plumbing jobs. I do all the painting inside and out.

Automotive, yes. The basics. Change a tire or the oil.

I have even been known to mow the lawn and shovel snow (no more of that snow now that we moved) but I find it to be good exercise.

Heavy lifting... I try 

JaneDoe
Sophomore Silent
8.2.2  JaneDoe  replied to    5 years ago
My wife loves to do construction and weeds the flower beds and weed wacks  before the yard guy can do it.

She sounds a bit like me. I love doing projects, making something old look new again.

Since we relocated a few months back we do have a yard service but very much like your wife I am out there doing this or that all the time. My husband just shakes his head and says “ You know we have someone to do that”

JaneDoe
Sophomore Silent
8.2.4  JaneDoe  replied to  Kathleen @8.2.3    5 years ago
I like painting, I have done that while my husband moved things around for me. We both shoveled. We just moved a few months ago so we won’t be getting as much snow, but tons of leaves though. 

We just moved a couple months ago also. Even though I didn’t really mind it, I won’t miss the snow shoveling. 🥶 Brrrr

I actually love to paint. I did our old house inside and out right before we sold it. I am just about to get started on changing our current doors from a brown to a nice bright orange. 😁

Best wishes in your new place. Enjoy the beautiful leaves before they fall and you have to rake. 

pat wilson
Professor Participates
8.3  pat wilson  replied to  Freefaller @8    5 years ago

But did you do any of those things every day ? every two days ? or even every 3 days ?

Freefaller
Professor Quiet
8.3.1  Freefaller  replied to  pat wilson @8.3    5 years ago

Can't really answer your question as with the exception of mowing the lawn all the other things are as required.  ie snow shovelling can be every day for months and then nothing for months, just spent pretty much every day for the past month putting up a new back deck but it had been nearly a year since the last house project. 

However your point is a good one and well taken, note my intent was not to bitch but just curiosity.  

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
8.4  Trout Giggles  replied to  Freefaller @8    5 years ago

I think I've shared this story.

We had received significant snowfall here in the South. Significant here is anything over an inch.

Anyway, he said I couldn't shovel the driveway. Our driveway is approximately 300 feet long. I said watch me.

I shoveled it. Cobalt Blue said Mr Giggles knows how to work me. She laughs at that story every time.

Freefaller
Professor Quiet
8.4.1  Freefaller  replied to  Trout Giggles @8.4    5 years ago

I remember the story, it's a good one