Yoko Ono project seeks to chronicle 'harm done' to women worldwide

Via:  loretta-mashkawidee-kemsley  •  4 weeks ago  •  26 comments

Yoko Ono project seeks to chronicle 'harm done' to women worldwide
her "Arising" installation will "continue to grow and will be exhibited in many countries."

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

Yoko Ono is renewing a call for submissions for a global project capturing the plight of women. 

The artist put out a new call Tuesday for "women of all ages, from all countries of the world" to send "a testament of harm done to you for being a woman."

Along with the writings, Ono is asking for a photo showing solely the participant's eyes.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
smarty_function_ntUser_is_admin: user_id parameter required
Find text within the comments Find 

Loretta Mashkawide'e Kemsley
1  seeder  Loretta Mashkawide'e Kemsley    4 weeks ago

Ono says the testaments and eye snapshots will be included as part of an upcoming art installation on exhibition in Montreal and in Syracuse, N.Y. Ono has been working on the project for several years, and the submission deadline for the eye-opening photographs is open-ended. 

The 86-year-old musician and peace activist — who in 2016 responded to President Trump’s election win by releasing a video of herself screaming — said her "Arising" installation will "continue to grow and will be exhibited in many countries."

It Is ME
2  It Is ME    4 weeks ago

"Yoko Ono project seeks to chronicle 'harm done' to women worldwide"

That's not anything "NEW". It's been done for years !

2.1  seeder  Loretta Mashkawide'e Kemsley  replied to  It Is ME @2    4 weeks ago

The article says her project is ongoing. This is a new call for women to participate, per the article.

Your link goes to women who have been murdered, but those photos don't appear to be linked to Ono's work.

It Is ME
2.1.1  It Is ME  replied to  Loretta Mashkawide'e Kemsley @2.1    4 weeks ago
Your link goes to women who have been murdered, but those photos don't appear to be linked to Ono's work.

Exactly.

Her "Call to arms" isn't "NEW", unless she's looking for "ONLY WOMEN" to post the same things that have been Photo'd for years !

Is that what Yoko is looking for ?

2.1.2  seeder  Loretta Mashkawide'e Kemsley  replied to  It Is ME @2.1.1    4 weeks ago

I only know what is in the article. From the article, the photos she wants are eyes only. She wants the women to write about how they have been harmed.

Yes, male violence inflicted upon women is centuries old. I don't see why that should keep her from highlighting it in her work. I discuss it all the time because it needs to stop. Silence only helps the abusers who inflict the violence, not the victims of the violence.

As I wrote that, a new thought struck me: she's doing it to give a voice to the victims who all to often are forced to endure the violence in silence. That feels right to me, although the article does not say that.

It Is ME
2.1.3  It Is ME  replied to  Loretta Mashkawide'e Kemsley @2.1.2    4 weeks ago
She wants the women to write about how they have been harmed.

If one is dead....dead is dead ! no writing occurs !

As for your statement...….That's nothing new either !

Yoko is NOT some "Pioneer" on this.

2.1.4  seeder  Loretta Mashkawide'e Kemsley  replied to  It Is ME @2.1.3    4 weeks ago

LOL. You're sure out to discredit her for no reason I can think of. It doesn't matter if she's a "pioneer" on this. She's an artist doing a project.

I agree that those who have died can't respond. That shouldn't mean that those who survived shouldn't have their voices heard.

I'm wondering: is your intense objection because you dislike Ono or because you don't want victims to have a voice?

It Is ME
2.1.5  It Is ME  replied to  Loretta Mashkawide'e Kemsley @2.1.4    4 weeks ago
You're sure out to discredit her for no reason I can think of.

I didn't "Discredit" her "Feeling" about it at all. I just noted that this isn't some "spectacular" event coming from her (not "Special").

It's like a "Movie Remake". It's been done, even with New "Special effects" added. 

2.1.6  seeder  Loretta Mashkawide'e Kemsley  replied to  It Is ME @2.1.5    4 weeks ago

Here's why I said that the murder rate has gone up since the idiot took office. It's because they have:

His words came within weeks of some striking new statistics. In September, the nonprofit Violence Policy Center released its annual study of numbers from the FBI’s Supplemental Homicide Reports, showing that …

In 2016, more than 1,800 women were murdered by men in single-victim or single-offender incidents submitted to the FBI, and 85 percent of them were murdered by a man they knew.

Of the 1,809 women killed, 962 were wives, ex-wives or current girlfriends — meaning more than half were or had been romantically linked to their killer. And the percentage has risen 11 percent since 2014 — these figures are for 2016, the most recent year available — when it had been falling for several years previously. The 962 figure was actually lower than the true number of intimate partner murders, as the FBI doesn’t include ex-girlfriends in its reporting, even though the CDC defines ex-girlfriends as intimate partners. Many domestic violence killings occur right after recent breakups or during separations.

===

And the situation for women is not getting better. A look at news stories from early 2018 tells us that more than 10 women across the U.S. were killed by male intimate partners in just 24 hours between 5 p.m. on New Year’s Eve and 5 p.m. on New Year’s Day 2018, with more than 25 women murdered by past or present partners in the first week of the year. Contrary to what some believe, intimate partner homicides in the United States touch all ethnicities, socioeconomic groups and geographic locations. But the one thing they all have in common? The victims will never get the chance to plead their case, defend themselves, or raise their own sons or daughters.

https://www.ozy.com/acumen/us-domestic-violence-murder-rate-rises/89868

squiggy
3  squiggy    4 weeks ago

"The 86-year-old musician and peace activist — who in 2016 responded to President Trump’s election win by releasing a video of herself screaming..."

You are the one who wants to tone down hate yet took the singular issue of sexism and set it on fire with a gratuitious one-liner. You can condemn vitriol on your seeds -  but you caused it.

3.1  seeder  Loretta Mashkawide'e Kemsley  replied to  squiggy @3    4 weeks ago

I am a feminist and sexism exists. Are you asking me to never speak of it or be neutral about it? If so, why do you want silence on the topic?

Why don't you want the harm done to women being discussed?

Why do you think harm done to women being silenced will "tone down the hate"?

Don't you think hate is what is being inflicted upon women, rather than the discussion of that harm?

Or are you objecting to the Ono expression of horror at the Trump election because of the harm he has done to women -- harm he has bragged about?

It Is ME
3.1.1  It Is ME  replied to  Loretta Mashkawide'e Kemsley @3.1    4 weeks ago
I am a feminist and sexism exists.

For Women of ALL political spectrums !

N.O.W. seems to have a bit of an issue on that !

3.1.2  seeder  Loretta Mashkawide'e Kemsley  replied to  It Is ME @3.1.1    4 weeks ago

You posts seem to make it clear you have "a bit of an issue" when it comes to women discussing male violence inflicted upon women. I don't consider it a partisan issue.

Politics has nothing to do with men harming women. It has to do with patriarchy and the privileges conferred upon men because of the patriarchal assumption men are superior to women and have the right to harm us.

This man, which you seem eager to defend, openly bragged about committing sexual assault on several women. Is that okay with you? Do you approve of him being a serial sexual predator?

It Is ME
3.1.3  It Is ME  replied to  Loretta Mashkawide'e Kemsley @3.1.2    4 weeks ago
You posts seem to make it clear you have "a bit of an issue" when it comes to women discussing male violence inflicted upon women.

Not so !

Women Beat/Kill other women as do Men Beat/Kill other men too !

Both Suck....but "Writing" about it ....again and again.... does nothing. These Wrongs have been written about for decades and decades.

Until the nasty ones can actually be "MADE" to control thoughts vs. actions....it will remain as it's been since man/women came to be !

3.1.4  seeder  Loretta Mashkawide'e Kemsley  replied to  It Is ME @3.1.3    4 weeks ago

I disagree. In the 1970s, when feminists first began speaking out in force, they changed the discussion by coining the term "domestic violence". That change alone drew attention to what has been a centuries old viciousness inflicted upon women by men who claim to love them.

At that time, seven American women were being slaughtered every single day by their intimate partners. By the 1990s, that number dropped to three per day, still horrendous but proving thousands of women's lives were saved by "writing about it." And talking about it and refusing to let there be silence about it.

Since the idiot in the WH was elected, that number has gone back up to four per day -- a huge tragedy we should all be mourning but no one is talking about it. Silence is helping those who want to harm women as did the fact that millions of people voted for a man they knew was a sexual predator.

So you need to get used to the idea that I will be continuing to post all sorts of articles about the harm being inflicted upon women by men, too often men who claim to love them. Our lives and our well-being is well worth discussing.

It Is ME
3.1.5  It Is ME  replied to  Loretta Mashkawide'e Kemsley @3.1.4    4 weeks ago
I disagree. In the 1970s, when feminists first began speaking out in force, they changed the discussion by coining the term "domestic violence". That change alone drew attention to what has been a centuries old viciousness inflicted upon women by men who claim to love them.

Did it actually "Change" anything ?

Men are victims of domestic violence too !

3.1.6  seeder  Loretta Mashkawide'e Kemsley  replied to  It Is ME @3.1.5    4 weeks ago

So you post about the men who are victims and I'll continue posting about to 95% of people who are victims, who happen to be women.

You've made your objections clear: you want to tell me not to post about male violence inflicted upon women. I understand you object to having women discuss the male violence inflicted upon us. Your objection does not and will not change my mind. I'm going to continue posting about male violence inflicted upon women.

The only thing that might change is my opinion of you if you can come up with a good reason why you object to women discussing male violence inflicted upon us. I can't think of one offhand, but you are welcome to try.

3.1.7  seeder  Loretta Mashkawide'e Kemsley  replied to  It Is ME @3.1.5    4 weeks ago
Did it actually "Change" anything ?

If you read my post, you'll see it did. It saved thousands of women's lives. Do you object to that outcome? If not, then why are you objecting to her featuring male harm inflicted upon women?

It Is ME
3.1.8  It Is ME  replied to  Loretta Mashkawide'e Kemsley @3.1.7    4 weeks ago
If you read my post, you'll see it did.

This is 2019 now. Did the numbers grow again, thus the need for the "Yoko re-re-initiative" ?

"I understand you object to having women discuss the male violence inflicted upon us."

I noted no such thing !

3.1.9  seeder  Loretta Mashkawide'e Kemsley  replied to  It Is ME @3.1.8    4 weeks ago
I noted no such thing !

Every one of your posts is an objection to this discussion of Ono's project which asks women to discuss the harm inflicted upon them. I have no idea why you are trying to deny that reality.

3.1.10  seeder  Loretta Mashkawide'e Kemsley  replied to  It Is ME @3.1.8    4 weeks ago
This is 2019 now. Did the numbers grow again, thus the need for the "Yoko re-re-initiative" ?

Ono is asking the women of the world to discuss the harm that has been done to them. It doesn't matter if the "numbers grow again." That is a stance beyond comprehension. Women have the right to discuss what has happened to them. Why are you objecting to that?

†hε pε⊕pレε'š ƒïšh
4  †hε pε⊕pレε'š ƒïšh    4 weeks ago

Yoko is amazing.

Sunshine
4.1  Sunshine  replied to  †hε pε⊕pレε'š ƒïšh @4    4 weeks ago

I guess Lennon was a bit of a dick.  He had a big ego.

Didn't he cheat on his 1st wife with Yoko?

4.1.1  seeder  Loretta Mashkawide'e Kemsley  replied to  Sunshine @4.1    4 weeks ago
a bit of an issue

Please don't go off topic. Lennon has nothing to do with this exhibit.

squiggy
4.1.2  squiggy  replied to  Sunshine @4.1    4 weeks ago

“Didn't he cheat on his 1st wife with Yoko?”

That would seem to empower Ono and we can’t be having that shit here.

Tacos!
5  Tacos!    4 weeks ago

People I assumed were dead.