╌>

ABC’s Bombshell Ukraine Story Falls Apart

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  1stwarrior  •  5 years ago  •  8 comments

ABC’s Bombshell Ukraine Story Falls Apart
Report incorrectly labeled former adviser to Zelensky, source now disputes story

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

An ABC News report that an adviser to the Ukrainian president said any communication with President Donald Trump had to include discussion of former vice president Joe Biden, published Wednesday night, fell apart within hours.

ABC credited   its scoop   to Serhiy Leshchenko, a former member of Ukraine's parliament and former adviser to Ukrainian president Volodymyr Zelensky. Leshchenko now   disputes   the story, denying he told ABC News that discussion of a potential probe into the Biden family's business activity in the country was a precondition for communication with Trump.

ABC quoted Leshchenko as saying, "it was a clear fact that Trump wants to meet only if Biden case will be included." According to ABC, he added that the Biden case was "raised many times" and "Ukrainian officials understood."

Leshchenko rejected the ABC story just hours after it was published, telling Radio Free Europe/Radio Liberty's   Christopher Miller   that he "DID NOT tell ABC insistence for leaders to discuss Biden probe was precondition for call." Leshchenko also spoke to BBC's Jonah Fisher, who   added   that the former Ukrainian official learned of "quid pro quo" rumors "only from media reports."

Though Leshchenko advised the Zelensky administration through its post-election transition, the administration distanced itself from Leshchenko as early as May. He was not advising Zelensky during the July 25 call between Zelensky and Trump.

Several major outlets, including   Axios   and the   Hill , jumped on ABC's scoop. Though ABC News and   Axios   corrected   their articles to note that Leshchenko no longer advises Zelensky, the   Hill   did not allude to Leshchenko's status at all, referring to him as "an adviser to Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky."

ABC News added an update Thursday admitting Leshchenko "did not know if officials had viewed discussing Biden as a precondition for a meeting," but still led the story with the original comments suggesting otherwise.   Axios   did not directly address Leshchenko's dispute and   defended   the story's underlying claim.

Leshchenko previously   told   the   Financial Times   that the majority of Ukraine's politicians are "on Hillary Clinton's side," and a Ukrainian court in 2018 found that Leshchenko   illegally interfered   in the 2016 U.S. election. An appeals court   overturned  the ruling against Leshchenko in 2019.

ABC's now-disputed story follows a renewed Democratic push to impeach Trump over a whistleblower complaint related to the phone conversation between Trump and Zelensky. The Ukrainian president on Wednesday   called   the conversation "normal," adding that "nobody pushed me" to investigate former vice president Biden and his son Hunter. Hunter Biden served on the board of Ukraine's largest private natural gas company during the Obama administration.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

1stwarrior
Professor Participates
1  seeder  1stwarrior    5 years ago

the former Ukrainian official learned of "quid pro quo" rumors "only from media reports."

Why is the media so intent on getting rid of Trump?  Oh yeah . . . . . . .

Jack_TX
Professor Quiet
2  Jack_TX    5 years ago

When did Axios become a "major outlet"?

1stwarrior
Professor Participates
2.1  seeder  1stwarrior  replied to  Jack_TX @2    5 years ago

In their own minds.  The "plan" to utilize their Facebook/Twitter feeds to cover more "worthy" political subjects - whatever that means.

It Is ME
Masters Guide
3  It Is ME    5 years ago

Don't believe anything that uses "Reports" from the "Media" as a source in the "Footnotes" !

1stwarrior
Professor Participates
3.1  seeder  1stwarrior  replied to  It Is ME @3    5 years ago

So, it would be better to "de-link" all the "links" in the thread?

It Is ME
Masters Guide
3.1.1  It Is ME  replied to  1stwarrior @3.1    5 years ago
So, it would be better to "de-link" all the "links" in the thread?

If it's being put in front of Political "Committees" as a "Legal Truth" to an "Accusers" tale ……. you bet. Political "Accusations" should be first hand knowledge to be "Credible" !

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
4  Ed-NavDoc    5 years ago

Progressive leftist liberal Democrats in DC and MSM just continuing the old adage of tell a lie, tell it often, and eventually the public will begin to believe it!