╌>

Fox News: Mattis says ISIS 'will resurge' in Syria following Trump's move to withdraw US troops

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  krishna  •  5 years ago  •  18 comments

Fox News: Mattis says ISIS 'will resurge' in Syria following Trump's move to withdraw US troops

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

A retired United States Marine Corps general, Mattis served in the Persian Gulf War, the War in Afghanistan, and the Iraq War. (Photo: Wikipedia)

Former Secretary of Defense General James Mattis criticized President Trump’s decision to remove American troops from Syria, saying in his first public comments on the matter that  the Islamic State now “will resurge”  in the region.

"I think Secretary of State Pompeo, the intelligence services, the foreign countries that are working with us have it about right that ISIS is not defeated,” Mattis said. during an interview on NBC’s “Meet The Press.”

“We have got to keep the pressure on ISIS so they don't recover."

Mattis’ comments come after Trump announced that he was pulling troops from Syria, greenlighting an invasion by Turkey of the war-torn region and stirring up strong bipartisan criticism from lawmakers in Washington that he was endangering regional stability and risking the lives of Syrian Kurdish allies who brought down the Islamic State group in Syria.

"You can pull your troops out, as President Obama learned the hard way, out of Iraq, but the 'enemy gets the vote' as we say in the military,” Mattis said. “And in this case, if we don't keep the pressure on then ISIS will resurge. It's, it's absolutely a given that they will come back.”

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Krishna
Professor Expert
1  seeder  Krishna    5 years ago

A retired United States Marine Corps general, Mattis served in the Persian Gulf War, the War in Afghanistan, and the Iraq War. (Photo: Wikipedia)

"I think Secretary of State Pompeo, the intelligence services, the foreign countries that are working with us have it about right that ISIS is not defeated,” Mattis said. during an interview on NBC’s “Meet The Press.”

“We have got to keep the pressure on ISIS so they don't recover."

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
1.1  Vic Eldred  replied to  Krishna @1    5 years ago

I have total confidence in Jim Mattis. I thought that along with Barr, Pompeo & Mick Mulvaney, Mattis was one of Trump's best appointments. So what happened to the Trump idea of letting the Generals have maximum input into foreign policy?  Election time is my guess. Bringing the troops home from the middle east is proving to be one of the hardest thing for any president to do.

Krishna
Professor Expert
2  seeder  Krishna    5 years ago

"You can pull your troops out, as President Obama learned the hard way, out of Iraq, but the 'enemy gets the vote' as we say in the military,” Mattis said. “And in this case, if we don't keep the pressure on then ISIS will resurge. It's, it's absolutely a given that they will come back.”

President Obama made the mistake of pulling troops out prematurely-- leading to the resurgence of ISIS. And Republicans criticized Obama for creating that mess...

Now Trump is basically doing the same thing by prematurely pulling troops out of Syria...will Republicans make similar comments? Or will they be hypocrites and not tell the truth and support tTrump in doing what Obama did...solely because of partisan politics?

lady in black
Professor Quiet
2.1  lady in black  replied to  Krishna @2    5 years ago

They will not tell the truth and support Crooked donnie

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
3  Paula Bartholomew    5 years ago

The Turks are now executing Kurdish civilians.  You can expect Kurdish retaliation against us not only overseas but on our own soil.  Trump has turned an ally into an enemy with his betrayal.  WTG asshole.  

Thrawn 31
Professor Guide
3.1  Thrawn 31  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @3    5 years ago

Yep, he has handed Syria over to our enemies and has turned the only competent group in the region against us.

MAGA!

Fuck he is stupid.

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
3.1.1  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  Thrawn 31 @3.1    5 years ago

Ya think?

MrFrost
Professor Expert
3.2  MrFrost  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @3    5 years ago

I have seen a few videos and pictures coming out the region. I will not post them here. They are disturbing. One video, a woman is holding her two kids, (ages....6-7...ish?), both are dead, pools of blood all around her. 

This is a direct result of trump's actions, that is blood on trump's hands and all because of his business ventures in Turkey. Makes me sick. 

Thrawn 31
Professor Guide
3.2.1  Thrawn 31  replied to  MrFrost @3.2    5 years ago

Not like he gives a shit. Trump has never had to sacrifice or face any sort of hardship in his entire life. I am 100% positive that he would argue that the impeachement process he is undergoing in the house is far worse than anything that woman has gone through.

FLYNAVY1
Professor Guide
3.2.2  FLYNAVY1  replied to  MrFrost @3.2    5 years ago

Gotta defend those Saudi refineries don't you know...…. Much more important than the lives of those that fought on our behalf as allies.

Thrawn 31
Professor Guide
3.2.3  Thrawn 31  replied to  FLYNAVY1 @3.2.2    5 years ago

According to Trump... "of course you idiot, fuck lives." 

MrFrost
Professor Expert
3.2.4  MrFrost  replied to  Thrawn 31 @3.2.3    5 years ago

According to Trump... "of course you idiot, fuck lives." 

Yep, that's pretty much it.. 

Thrawn 31
Professor Guide
4  Thrawn 31    5 years ago

Donald Trump, the ISIS enabler. 

igknorantzrulz
PhD Quiet
4.1  igknorantzrulz  replied to  Thrawn 31 @4    5 years ago

The ISIL Enabler, and also, the enabler of ISIL's

wtf ?  how do trump supporters justify tis lie...

TᵢG
Professor Principal
5  TᵢG    5 years ago

No doubt ISIS will resurge.   Trump apparently does not comprehend that the costs (money and human beings) of keeping a lid on terrorism is far less than putting the lid on it in the first place.

Thrawn 31
Professor Guide
5.1  Thrawn 31  replied to  TᵢG @5    5 years ago

Trump does not comprehend where he is on a minute to minute basis. 

Larry Hampton
Professor Participates
6  Larry Hampton    5 years ago

This is an unmitigated disaster. Now we also have our own forces caught between two advancing armies. 

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
7  Paula Bartholomew    5 years ago

No shit Mattis.