╌>

High School In 1970 Vs 2015. This Is So Accurate It Hurts.

Category:  Other

Via:  nona62  •  9 years ago  •  28 comments

Please discuss this calmly, and maybe add some more scenarioes...Thanks :-)

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Nona62
Professor Silent
link   seeder  Nona62    9 years ago

Yup..".the times they are a changing"

1stwarrior
Professor Participates
link   1stwarrior    9 years ago

Is it the media, the government or are people just so damn afraid of everything?

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
link   Buzz of the Orient    9 years ago

Oh, so true, so true. Take it further back - what you see describing the 70's was true during my school years in the 1940s, 1950s and 1960s. When I was bad in public school, I was sent to the principal who struck my palm 5 times with a wooden ruler. I didn't misbehave after that. Today the principal would be charged with assault, sued for physical and lifelong mental trauma, and dismissed from his post, never allowed to be employed in such a position again, and I would be allowed to develop my misbehaviour into becoming a rebel or criminal.

Nona62
Professor Silent

Nona62
Professor Silent

I think it's all of the above..

Nowhere Man
Junior Guide
link   Nowhere Man    9 years ago

Today? as a teacher, you better not even look like your going to confront an unruly teen.

Forget about the law, worry about the teen and his friends/parents.

Playing tag on the playground? no go today, Cowboys and Indians? Cops and Robbers? A trip to a special class on cultural awareness, and get your ass kicked for wanting to play a cop.

The school and the Boy's Girl's club in my town every week had classes on shooting, for 10 yr olds and up. Yep the Boy's/Girl's club actually had an indoor small-bore range. Prone, Sitting, Kneeling and Off-hand shooting skills from a professional instructor. It was the most popular class around. Everyone took it, hell it was required. You re-took it until you passed. They taught proper weapons handling, proper shooting techniques, and safety self awareness in a disciplined setting.

Find anything like that today in a juvenile setting? The lawyers and fraidy cat politicians would have a field day with your ass.

What is wrong with teaching discipline, self control and respect to our young? So what if you use a shooting sport to do it? We could use the reasoned and thinking individuals that result who have a basic respect for and knowledge of weapons and how to handle them in our society today.

What is wrong with that? what is wrong with teaching our children that all that is worth something in this society is earned? Nothing is given for free?

I wonder about our future as a nation and society.

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet
link   Dowser    9 years ago

the Boy Scouts in our city teach gun safety, etc. It's not in the schools, and we didn't have it in our schools, in the 1970s, but it is around... Smile.gif

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet
link   Dowser    9 years ago

Shoot, we got The Paddle. One of my husband's teacher had a name for it: The Mulligan...

I was never struck in school. Too scared, I guess.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert

Come on Randy. Don't you have a sense of humour? The whole thing is a parody.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert

In the high schools in Canada in the 1950s we had army cadets and rifle marksmanship. We used Bren guns modified to be 22 rifles and we shot at targets.

Nowhere Man
Junior Guide

We only had .22 bolts, but they did have 10 round magazines.

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
link   Sean Treacy    9 years ago
Very funny.

Nona62
Professor Silent

I was never struck in school. Too scared, I guess. Me too!

Nowhere Man
Junior Guide

Same here, Rifleman in Elementary School, Marksman and Sharpshooter at the Boy's club.

Then Dad took me to the range and introduced me to 30-30 at the age of 12, and 30-06 at 15.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert

I don't remember if it was bolt action or not. But we did shoot 10 bullets at a card with 5 bullseye targets, 2 bullets at each of the 5 targets. Back in those days my eyes were pretty good and I got the trophy for best marksman - 10 bullseyes on each card. I guess I was the Sgt. York of the school. Smile.gif

Nowhere Man
Junior Guide

They handed out tin plate facsimiles of the US Army Marksmanship medals. I lost mine over the years.

But I replaced them with an Appleseed certificate a couple of years back using my 1940 Romanian Mauser.

Nona62
Professor Silent

I used to have a "Cap Gun"......does that count? lol

I loved the smell of the sulfur...

Krishna
Professor Expert
link   Krishna    9 years ago

Another example-- then and now:

image001.png

Nona62
Professor Silent

Krishna.........PERFECT!!!

Cerenkov
Professor Silent
link   Cerenkov    9 years ago
It's an outrage when a humor article is laughable! The children!

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
link   Hal A. Lujah    9 years ago
This isn't even funny, if that's what it was intended to be. In the last week, the public schools in my county had two events that contradict this junk. Gang members from a rival school shot two kids outside of a basketball game, and remain at large - thankfully the victims are going to live. Then, days later, a teacher was severely beaten by a troubled student in front of the class, who instead of jumping in to help the teacher, filmed it on their cell phones.

Nona62
Professor Silent

I hope it author of the article didn't intend to make it funny...I think it's just to sow how ridiculous things have gotten....

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
What's ridiculous is that kids are not shooting squirrels with their guns, their shooting each other and educators.

Nona62
Professor Silent

It's scary....there is no way I would want to e a teacher in this day and age...

Cerenkov
Professor Silent
link   Cerenkov    9 years ago
I am not sure how anecdotal "evidence" contradicts a humor article...

Nona62
Professor Silent

I hopethe author of the article didn't intend to make it funny...I think it's just to show how ridiculous things have gotten.... (corrections)

Nona62
Professor Silent

I am sooo glad that I'm not raising children in this day and age.......

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
School shootings are now anecdotal? Lol, they're so damn common anymore that the one I referenced didn't even make it into the MSM. I think the rules must be that the victims have to be DOA for anyone outside the community to give a shit.