╌>

68-year-old man is the first black patient to receive a face transplant

Category:  Health, Science & Technology

Via:  perrie-halpern  •  5 years ago  •  10 comments

By:   By Erika Edwards

68-year-old man is the first black patient to receive a face transplant
"It is vitally important for individuals of all races and ethnicities to consider organ donation."

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

In a medical first, doctors have performed a full   face transplant   on a black patient, a man from Los Angeles.

Robert Chelsea, 68, is also the oldest patient to undergo the surgery, which was performed at Brigham and Women's Hospital in Boston.

"May God bless the donor and his family who chose to donate this precious gift and give me a second chance," Chelsea   said in a statement . "I am overwhelmed with gratitude and feel very blessed to receive such an amazing gift."

191024-robert-chelsea-en-route-to-or-ew- Chelsea, seen here before his face transplant, was disfigured in a fiery car accident in 2013. J. Kiely Jr. / Lightchaser photography

Chelsea was disfigured in 2013 when a drunk driver slammed into his car, sparking a fire. He suffered burns over most of his body and his face.

He was put on the face transplant waiting list at Brigham and Women's Hospital in 2018. He and his doctors waited until they found a donor with a skin tone that matched Chelsea's.

"It is vitally important for individuals of all races and ethnicities to consider   organ donation , including the donation of external grafts, such as face and hands," Alexandra Glazier, president of the New England Donor Services, said in a statement.

"Unlike internal organs, the skin tone of the donor may be important to finding a match."

It took 16 hours for a team of more than 45 physicians, nurses, anesthesiologists and others to perform the groundbreaking surgery.

"Robert is progressing and recovering remarkably fast," Dr. Bohdan Pomahac, head of plastic surgery transplantation at Brigham and Women's Hospital, said.

This is the ninth face transplant performed at the hospital.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
1  seeder  Perrie Halpern R.A.    5 years ago

It's an amazing feat of medical science, but it must be weird to wake up with someone else's face on yours. The cognitive dissidence must be overwhelming at first.

So my question is could you live with someone else's face on yours?

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
1.1  sandy-2021492  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @1    5 years ago

Given the alternative, I could.  It sure would take some getting used to.

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
1.2  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @1    5 years ago

I definitely could.  Hell, it might even be an improvement.

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
3  sandy-2021492    5 years ago

I was aware of the need for organ donors of various ethnicities to find a match for bone marrow and so forth.  I'd never considered the same for face transplants, probably because the procedure is so new.

Freefaller
Professor Quiet
4  Freefaller    5 years ago

Wish him the best of luck, but this is still a relatively new procedure and rejection is a possibility