╌>

Katie Hill, California congresswoman, resigns amid allegations of affairs with staff

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  kdmichigan  •  5 years ago  •  22 comments

Katie Hill, California congresswoman, resigns amid allegations of affairs with staff
Hill denied any relationship without congressional staffer, but did not address the allegations of a relationship with a campaign staffer. She said that the images were published by "Republican operatives" without her consent and that Capitol Hill police are investigating. She also acknowledges that she is going through a divorce, and said her husband was abusive and "seems determined to try to humiliate me."

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

Representative Katie Hill of California announced Sunday she is resigning from Congress amid allegations of sexual relationships with a member of her congressional staff and a campaign staffer. "This is the hardest thing I have ever had to do, but I believe it is the best thing for my constituents, my community and our country," she said in a statement she posted to Twitter.  

Hill admitted the relationship with the campaign staffer, writing to her constituents earlier this week, "I know that even a consensual relationship with a subordinate is inappropriate, but I still allowed it to happen despite my better judgment." She said the relationship had occurred during the last years of what she said was an "abusive" marriage.

Hill, 32, is in the midst of a contentious divorce and last week admitted to an extramarital relationship with a former campaign aide after a Republican blog published details of the relationship, intimate photos and other details of her ongoing split. 
The House Ethics Committee announced last Thursday that it was "aware of public allegations that Representative Katie Hill may have engaged in a sexual relationship with an individual on her congressional staff" and is investigating the allegations. 

Hill denied any relationship without congressional staffer, but did not address the allegations of a relationship with a campaign staffer. She said that the images were published by "Republican operatives" without her consent and that Capitol Hill police are investigating. She also acknowledges that she is going through a divorce, and said her husband was abusive and "seems determined to try to humiliate me."
A relationship with someone from her official office would have been especially problematic because it would violate sexual harassment reforms Congress passed in 2018.
Hill won her seat from northern Los Angeles County last year, helping Democrats scoop up a record number of previously Republican-held seats in California. She held a senior position on the House Oversight Committee involved in the ongoing impeachment inquiry of President Trump.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

KDMichigan
Junior Participates
1  seeder  KDMichigan    5 years ago

Another Anti trumper takes a fall. 

I still want to know who took the naked picture she admits to that certain people are stuck on denial of.

JaneDoe
Sophomore Silent
1.1  JaneDoe  replied to  KDMichigan @1    5 years ago

Probably the same person who took the photo of her smoking a bong wearing nothing but her tattoo by her bikini area. Some are claiming the tattoo is of the iron cross... I don’t know but you could google it and decide for yourself. 😉

bbl-1
Professor Quiet
2  bbl-1    5 years ago

Anti Trumper takes a fall.

Sex is the pariah for democrats I guess. 

"When you're a star--you can do anything," DJT--slides through again.  The man is a monolith of invincibility.

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
2.1  Greg Jones  replied to  bbl-1 @2    5 years ago
The man is a monolith of invincibility.

Teflon Don...nothing sticks to him no matter how much is tossed his way.

Thrawn 31
Professor Guide
2.1.1  Thrawn 31  replied to  Greg Jones @2.1    5 years ago

True, no matter how many women he rapes, no matter how many small contractors he rips off, no matter how many investors (voters) he defrauds, his idiot supporters still support him. 

Ronin2
Professor Quiet
2.1.2  Ronin2  replied to  Thrawn 31 @2.1.1    5 years ago
True, no matter how many women he rapes,

Innocent until proven guilty. Of course Trump isn't afforded that privilege.

no matter how many small contractors he rips off,

Which is the reason we have laws and courts. 

no matter how many investors (voters) he defrauds

Voters are the not the same thing as investors. Investors have legal actions they can take. We hold regularly scheduled elections so voters can have their say.

his idiot supporters still support him. 

Now that is the way to win people over! Deride them constantly!

Here is a truth for you. No matter how vile the actions of the left- they will scream Trruuummmmppppp!!!!!!!. Trump justifies everything.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
2.2  Texan1211  replied to  bbl-1 @2    5 years ago
Anti Trumper takes a fall.
Sex is the pariah for democrats I guess. 
"When you're a star--you can do anything," DJT--slides through again.  The man is a monolith of invincibility.

jrSmiley_81_smiley_image.gif

Congrats!!!

Only took until the second comment to make something unfavorable about a Democrat into a tirade on Trump.

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
2.3  Ozzwald  replied to  bbl-1 @2    5 years ago
Sex is the pariah for democrats I guess

Republican's only approve of sexuality when it is properly bought and paid for, and generally agreed to by only 1 participant.

devangelical
Professor Principal
4  devangelical    5 years ago

meh, changing political parties and then denying everything would have been the smart move.

lib50
Professor Silent
5  lib50    5 years ago

I wish she would not have resigned,  she was a great rep.  Pisses me off she didn't just stay and work through the bullshit.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
5.1  Texan1211  replied to  lib50 @5    5 years ago
I wish she would not have resigned,  she was a great rep.  Pisses me off she didn't just stay and work through the bullshit.

A GREAT rep?

Based on what record?

She has only been in Congress for less than one year.

A truly great rep probably wouldn't have been involved in the mess or at least could have weathered the storm and stuck it out.

bbl-1
Professor Quiet
5.1.1  bbl-1  replied to  Texan1211 @5.1    5 years ago

I voted you up.  Well said.  The Clifford/McDougal escapades did not dissuade Trump.  

She should have weathered it.  Did her job the best she could and let the voters decide.

She did nothing criminal.  Unless of course sex is criminal.  Then, if that is the case the WH, Congress, Judiciary ought to begin the resignations.  

lib50
Professor Silent
5.1.2  lib50  replied to  Texan1211 @5.1    5 years ago

Well I don't expect you to know anything about how she represents the district.  

Texan1211
Professor Principal
5.1.3  Texan1211  replied to  lib50 @5.1.2    5 years ago
Well I don't expect you to know anything about how she represents the district.   

And I didn't really expect you to be able to answer my question.

Maybe the next rep for that district will have more guts.

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
5.2  Sean Treacy  replied to  lib50 @5    5 years ago

She was an alcoholic who engaged in inappropriate relationships with numerous staff members.

great rep indeed.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
5.2.1  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Sean Treacy @5.2    5 years ago
"...inappropriate relationships with numerous staff members..."

Isn't that being "democratic" (in its dictionary meaning)?

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
5.2.2  Ozzwald  replied to  Sean Treacy @5.2    5 years ago
She was an alcoholic

Like Boehner, and half of Congress?

who engaged in inappropriate relationships

You will have to define " inappropriate", since they were consensual and she didn't have to pay for them.  How do you feel about Trump's relationships in comparison?

CuMsBp7XYAAFS9y.jpg

with numerous staff members.

How many is numerous?  More than 25?

The 25 women who have accused Trump of sexual misconduct

KDMichigan
Junior Participates
5.2.3  seeder  KDMichigan  replied to  Ozzwald @5.2.2    5 years ago

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
5.2.4  Ozzwald  replied to  KDMichigan @5.2.3    5 years ago

Unfortunately for you I am not complaining about Trump. 

I am pointing out YOUR hypocrisy in complaining about one person, while at the same time supporting another person who is MUCH MUCH worse in the same areas of the person that you are complaining about.

tenor.gif?itemid=11386417

charger 383
Professor Silent
6  charger 383    5 years ago

I don't think she did anything that bad

Tacos!
Professor Guide
7  Tacos!    5 years ago
A relationship with someone from her official office would have been especially problematic because it would violate sexual harassment reforms Congress passed in 2018.

It seems like a dumb rule. I understand the concepts of power relationships and all that, but I think it's more fair to look at these things on an individual basis. Plenty of happy couples started their relationships on the job where one person worked for the other.