╌>

50th Anniversary of The Weight

Category:  Entertainment

By:  john-russell  •  5 years ago  •  11 comments

50th Anniversary of The Weight

The Weight was on the 1968 album "Music From Big Pink", so the 50th anniversary was last year. Oh well, maybe it took awhile to get this great video together. 

The Weight-

Featuring Robbie Robertson / Playing For Change/  Song Around The World

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
1  author  JohnRussell    5 years ago

Another one that originated on Music From Big Pink 

I SHALL BE RELEASED -  Bob Dylan and The Band 1976

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
2  author  JohnRussell    5 years ago
In 2003, Music From Big Pink was ranked number 34 on  Rolling Stone  magazine's list of  the 500 greatest albums of all time , maintaining the rating in a 2012 revised list. The laid-back feel of the album attracted the attention of other major artists. For example,  Eric Clapton  cites the album's  roots rock  style as what convinced him to quit  Cream , and pursue the styles of  Blind Faith Delaney and Bonnie Derek and the Dominos , and  his debut album George Harrison  was also impressed by the album's musicianship and sense of camaraderie, and  Roger Waters  called it the second "most influential record in the history of rock and roll", after  Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band , and said that it "affected  Pink Floyd  deeply, deeply, deeply."  According to  Terry Burrows , the album spawned the  Americana  genre, w hile music academic Chris Smith said its songs laid the groundwork for  roots rock  music.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
2.1  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  JohnRussell @2    5 years ago

Back in "those" days, Music From Big Pink was one of my albums that I listened to more than most others. 

Kavika
Professor Principal
3  Kavika     5 years ago

What an amazing video. Robbie Robertson and the Band are one of my all-time favorite groups. 

After The Band broke up Robertson went on to a very successful solo career.

Great find JR...Well done.

Kavika
Professor Principal
4  Kavika     5 years ago

The original ''The Band'' from the Last Waltz 1978.

Kavika
Professor Principal
5  Kavika     5 years ago

Bump

This is one of the very best music videos I've ever seen. 

Hopefully, more members will click on and view it.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
5.1  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Kavika @5    5 years ago

Did I bring that video to your attention, or had you already seen it?  In any event, I also enjoyed Neil Young's singing one of my favourite songs, "Helpless", backed up by The Band on that video. 

When Neil Young unexpectedly showed up at the Mariposa Folk Festival when I was its President, and one of the scheduled performers gave up half his set so Neil could play, Neil asked me what song I wanted to hear him sing, and of course I told him "Helpless", which he then opened with. 

Kavika
Professor Principal
5.1.1  Kavika   replied to  Buzz of the Orient @5.1    5 years ago
Did I bring that video to your attention, or had you already seen it?

I think that you should be addressing JR. He posted that video although I have seen it before Buzz. 

Great story about Neil Young. 

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
5.1.2  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Kavika @5.1.1    5 years ago

I know my memory is fading these days, but I DO Recall that when I watched that video (it is accessible here) I knew how you felt about Robbie, so I sent you a message about the video, asking if you had seen it.  Perhaps you had back then, but I did direct my comment to you for that reason. 

Kavika
Professor Principal
5.1.3  Kavika   replied to  Buzz of the Orient @5.1.2    5 years ago

LOL, my memory isn't what it used to me. I remember that I think..What were we talking about again?jrSmiley_4_smiley_image.png

pat wilson
Professor Participates
6  pat wilson    5 years ago

I loved The Band. They were awesome.