╌>

In Las Vegas, Elon Musk's tunneling company digs in

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  perrie-halpern  •  5 years ago  •  8 comments

By:   Dennis Romero

In Las Vegas, Elon Musk's tunneling company digs in
The city is laying claim to having "the first commercial endeavor" from the Boring Company.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

al Jizzerror
Masters Expert
1  al Jizzerror    5 years ago
The city is laying claim to having "the first commercial endeavor" from the Boring Company.

I guess Vegas is sick of excitement.

Bore Head 007
Freshman Silent
2  Bore Head 007    5 years ago

Its a tunnel boring machine. Not a big deal. Directional boring is much more interesting.

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
3  Paula Bartholomew    5 years ago

With all of this boring, it makes me think of the movie Paint Your Wagon.  So many tunnels were dug under No Name City that the weight of the people, wagons, animals, and buildings collapsed the streets above.  I still crack up when I see Ben Rumson going downstream in a bath tub with one of Rotten Luck Willy's hookers in his lap.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
4  seeder  Perrie Halpern R.A.    5 years ago

Well, I think the point is that this presents a new way of thinking about mass transit without displacing people on the ground. That is the pro-side. The downside I think is how long it takes to bore through rock (I might be wrong about overhead construction being faster).

al Jizzerror
Masters Expert
4.1  al Jizzerror  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @4    5 years ago
new way of thinking about mass transit

NYC may have beaten the Boring Company to the punch.

According to Google:

The first underground line of the subway opened on October 27, 1904 , almost 36 years after the opening of the first elevated line in New York City, which became the IRT Ninth Avenue Line.

From this seed:

In Las Vegas it's not apparent if off-the-shelf rides from Musk's Tesla electric vehicle company or promised "high-occupancy" autonomous electric vehicles, yet to be unveiled, will be used. Promised speeds of up to 155 mph won't be happening, Hill told KNSV. Speeds would be limited to 35 mph , he told the station, because the short length of the system wouldn't safely allow anything faster.

I used to live in Brooklyn.  Subway trains are also electric.  Subways also frequently provide free entertainment.  I lived in South Brooklyn (Manhattan Beach) and worked on E 57th Street in Manhattan.  The subway was, by far, the fastest transportation available.

I assume surface traffic in Vegas sucks, butt the proposed Vegas "subway" is relatively short.

The $53 million twin-tunnel "Loop" system is expected to take visitors to three stops spread across the length of less than a mile, 40 feet below the sprawling and expanding Las Vegas Convention Center.

I hope this revolutionary transportation can provide the same quality of free entertainment I enjoyed in NYC.

Kavika
Professor Principal
4.1.1  Kavika   replied to  al Jizzerror @4.1    5 years ago

Las Vegas has a monorail 3.9 miles on the strip. It's lost money from day one as everyone knew it would ...Much too expensive and didn't cover the area that it needed to. 

al Jizzerror
Masters Expert
4.1.2  al Jizzerror  replied to  Kavika @4.1.1    5 years ago
didn't cover the area that it needed to.

Mass transit (buses and subways) provide amazing coverage.

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
4.1.3  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  al Jizzerror @4.1    5 years ago

Hairy moobs are totally gross.