╌>

Colorado man held in plot to bomb synagogue charged with 3 federal counts

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  perrie-halpern  •  5 years ago  •  64 comments

By:   Phil Helsel and Andrew Blankstein

Colorado man held in plot to bomb synagogue charged with 3 federal counts
In a separate case, a California man who claimed to be a neo-Nazi was charged with lying about mental health treatment to try to get into the Army.

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

A federal grand jury has indicted an alleged white supremacist in connection with what prosecutors say was a plot to bomb one of Colorado's oldest synagogue, the U.S. attorney’s office said Friday.

Richard Holzer, 27, of Pueblo,   was charged in early November   with the attempted use of explosives and trying to obstruct the free exercise of religious beliefs, related to an alleged plot to attack Temple Emanuel, according to court records.

The grand jury added two other charges: attempted arson and using an explosive device to commit a felony offense, the U.S. Attorney’s Office in Colorado   said in a statement .

If convicted, Holzer faces up to 50 years in prison, federal prosecutors said.

Holzer was arrested after undercover federal agents supplied him with pipe bombs and dynamite, which were inert and incapable of exploding, that he allegedly planned on detonating at the temple, according to the indictment.

A federal public defender who represents Holzer said he could not comment on a pending case.

Holzer allegedly said In a Sept. 3 Facebook message, "I wish the Holocaust really did happen…they need to die." An FBI agent posing as a white woman supportive of white supremacy contacted Holzer later that month.

Holzer allegedly used social media accounts to “promote white supremacy ideology and acts of violence, including racially- and religiously-motivated acts of violence” and “repeatedly expressed his hatred of Jewish people” and began planning the attack in September and October, according to the indictment.

Holzer sent the person pictures of swastika buttons and said he used to be in the Ku Klux Klan but was now a skinhead. He also sent photos of himself with firearms and said, "I'm getting ready for RAHOWA," which means a racial holy war, according to court documents filed in the case.

Holzer allegedly told FBI undercover agents he wanted to "vandalize the place beyond repair" and thought about using Molotov cocktails, but when he and the agents visited the temple, Holzer determined they wouldn't be powerful enough and settled on pipe bombs.

Holzer was arrested on Nov. 1, the same day he was given the pipe bombs and dynamite bundles by undercover agents. He had allegedly planned to carry out the attack that night.

191122-pueblo-colorado-synagogue-se-835p Temple president Michael Atlas-Acuna walks past a memorial inside the historic Temple Emanuel in Pueblo, Colo., for the victims of the 2018 Aytz Chaim Synagogue shooting in Pittsburg, Pa., Tuesday, Nov. 5, 2019. Christian Murdock / The Gazette via AP

In an unrelated case in Northern California, an Oakland man who identified himself on gaming forums as a neo-Nazi and who discussed mass shootings of synagogues was charged with a federal count of lying to the Army about mental health treatment in order to enlist,   prosecutors said   Friday.

Ross Anthony Farca, 23, of Concord, was arrested in June by local law enforcement on charges related to statements he allegedly made in a chatroom of the online gaming service Steam. He allegedly talked about killing Jewish people, and authorities said they found an AR-15-style rifle, large-capacity ammunition magazines and books about Nazi life at his home.

He was charged by the state with making criminal threats and an unlawful assault weapon and possessing an assault weapon.

In the federal case, prosecutors say Farca claimed in 2017 that he had not received mental health treatment. But, they said, he had been seeing a psychiatrist since 2011 and was prescribed medication to manage his mental health, prosecutors said.

Farca reported to basic training on Aug. 28, 2017 and was discharged less than two months later after allegedly assaulting a fellow trainee. He was admitted to a psychiatric unit for 12 days, according to court documents unsealed Friday.

It was unclear Friday night if he had an attorney who could speak on his behalf.

His attorney in the state case, Joseph Tully,   told The Mercury News in August   that Farca is not a potential mass killer, and he suffers from a developmental disorder that prevents him from understanding why people took his remarks seriously.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Kavika
Professor Principal
1  Kavika     5 years ago

Sadly, the beat goes on.

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
2  sandy-2021492    5 years ago

really want to wipe that smile off of his face.

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
2.1  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  sandy-2021492 @2    5 years ago

Don't worry.  The many Bubbas in prison will do just that for you.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
2.1.1  seeder  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @2.1    5 years ago

LMAO... good one Paula!

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
2.1.2  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @2.1.1    5 years ago

jrSmiley_9_smiley_image.gif

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
2.1.3  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @2.1    5 years ago
"Don't worry.  The many Bubbas in prison will do just that for you.".

Although this seed does not call for levity, your comment has forced me to post this little story:

The difference between Oo and oO

Two young guys appear in court after being arrested for smoking dope.

The judge says, "You seem like nice young men, and I'd like to give you a second chance instead of jail time. I want you to go out this weekend and try to convince others of the evils of drug use. I'll see you back in court Monday."

On Monday, the judge asks the first guy, "How did you do over the weekend?"

"Well, your honor, I persuaded 17 people to give up drugs forever."

"Seventeen people? That's wonderful. How did you do it?"

"I used a diagram, your honor. I drew two circles like this: Oo. Then I told them that the big circle is your brain before drugs and the small circle is your brain after drugs."

"That's admirable," says the judge. Then he turns to the second guy."And how did you do?"

"Well, your honor, I persuaded 156 people to give up drugs forever."

"Wow!" says the judge. "156 people! How did you manage to do that?"

"Well, I used a similar diagram," the guy says. "I drew two circles like this: oO. Then I pointed to the little circle and said, ‘This is your asshole before prison.’"

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
2.1.4  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @2.1.3    5 years ago

jrSmiley_10_smiley_image.gif

Enoch
Masters Quiet
3  Enoch    5 years ago

Mr. Holzer is lucky.

The law got to him before I did.

"Tzedek Tzedek Tirdof".

"Justice justice shall you pursue".

P&AB.

Enoch.

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
3.1  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  Enoch @3    5 years ago

I have always wanted to ask you this.  What does the P&AB stand for?

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
3.1.1  seeder  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @3.1    5 years ago

Peace and abundant blessings.

CB
Professor Principal
3.1.2  CB  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @3.1.1    5 years ago

Peace and abundant blessings to you too, Perrie and Paula Bartholomew!

Paula a word please. Something I have always wanted to ask you: What, if any, is the meaning of your avatar. It is beautiful. Is it:

1. a splash of brilliant colors?
  2. A hen looking back at a 'dragon' erupting from its flank?

I could go 'mad' trying to figure it out. So what is it? (Smile.)

My avatar? A creation from an avatar generator that I use. It is of a black man with blonde hair. In real-life, I am not blonde. I do wear glasses. (Smile.)

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
3.1.3  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @3.1.1    5 years ago

Very cool.  Thank you.

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
3.1.4  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  CB @3.1.2    5 years ago

It is a dragon with a color themed wave, I think.  I saw it on line and just fell in love with it.  I like yours very much.

CB
Professor Principal
3.1.5  CB  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @3.1.4    5 years ago

Ahhh! Thank you very much for sharing!!!

Enoch
Masters Quiet
3.1.6  Enoch  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @3.1    5 years ago

Dear Friend Paula: Perrie is correct.

It is short for Peace and Abundant Blessings.

A functional translation of the Hebrew greeting and blessing, "Shalom U'vracha".    

Enoch.

JBB
Professor Principal
4  JBB    5 years ago

The FBI has repeatedly warned us that rightwing white supremacists are our most pressing problem facing America today! Ignore this at your own peril...

It us not Immigrants! Not Muslims! Not Gays or Athiest or Secularists! Not the "Urban Poor". Not Progressives or Democrats or Liberals who threaten us all...

Rightwing Extremists ARE our BIGGEST THREAT.

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
4.2  Greg Jones  replied to  JBB @4    5 years ago
Rightwing Extremists ARE our BIGGEST THREAT. 

How in the world have you come to that idiotic conclusion. There are simply not of them to make a difference.

Your sources, links, and other examples of your deep thinking and extensive research would be appreciated.

Dismayed Patriot
Professor Quiet
4.2.1  Dismayed Patriot  replied to  Greg Jones @4.2    5 years ago

"right-wing terrorists have killed more people on U.S. soil than jihadis have since 9/11."

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
4.2.2  Greg Jones  replied to  Dismayed Patriot @4.2.1    5 years ago

Still not that prevalent, as compared to other types of terrorism.

I've never seen a KKK rally or White Nationist march, such things hardly ever happen.

And of course I am not paranoid about a few skinheads acting out.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
4.2.3  seeder  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Greg Jones @4.2.2    5 years ago

Greg,

Even when shown that there is a problem you are in denial. We have an issue with hate groups, and like any other problem it should be dealt with and not told that it's "not that prevalent". Since 9/11 it is far more prevalent in this country. Maybe if you lived in France, you would have a point.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
4.2.4  seeder  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Greg Jones @4.2.2    5 years ago

Well good for you Greg. I was attacked by a pile of male skinheads for taking down hate signs from lamp posts. I'm not good with that.

CB
Professor Principal
4.2.5  CB  replied to  Greg Jones @4.2.2    5 years ago

You will find that you only need one to tip the scale of your belief system. Right. Philosophical: Actually it happens somewhere on this planet everyday that a tree is seen and heard falling in the woods. Yes, falling trees make a sound!

If a skinhead is acting out on somebody, assume the victim is going to be turned off and paranoid both!

JBB
Professor Principal
4.2.6  JBB  replied to  Greg Jones @4.2    5 years ago

I did not come to that conclusion. The FBI did! The United States Federal Bureau of Investigation. Ever heard of them? Read the link. Look yourself...

KDMichigan
Junior Participates
4.2.7  KDMichigan  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @4.2.4    5 years ago
I was attacked

That is scary. I'm a huge dude with a nickname like Shreck and I wouldn't have the balls to do that.

You rock Perrie.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
4.2.8  seeder  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  KDMichigan @4.2.7    5 years ago

Thanks, KD. It was a heat of the moment thing and visceral reaction. My girlfriend (who happens to be Latino) was not happy with my choice of taking these guys on. Then when one of them said "I'm going to F you up," I said, "Wow tough guy! Going to beat up a girl"..... then after about what seemed like 10 min (more like probably 10 sec), we ran into the nearest shop... which was owned by 2 Asian guys. Needless to say, they were not happy with our choice of refuge, LOL, but we called 911 and the skinheads fled. 

CB
Professor Principal
4.2.9  CB  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @4.2.8    5 years ago

{{Shudders.}} I am so glad that went well in the end. You felt your power! You felt the power of winning over evil. As Evil retreated a step, you felt this power of knowing it can be bested! Thank you for sharing this experience, Perrie! I will always believe it made you stronger.

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
4.2.10  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @4.2.4    5 years ago

A friend of mine lost her hair due to chemo.  She was returning to her car one day without a scarf when an angry man confronted her calling her a skin head hater.  She waited until his tirade had finished and simply said to him "Sir, the only thing I hate is the cancer that I have that caused me to loose my hair."

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
4.2.11  seeder  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @4.2.10    5 years ago

Funny how people jump to conclusions. In fact, the guys who attacked me all had hair, LOL. 

I hope your friend is well. 

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
4.2.12  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @4.2.11    5 years ago

Cancer free for 5 years now.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
4.2.13  seeder  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @4.2.12    5 years ago

Great news, Paula!

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
5  Paula Bartholomew    5 years ago

Lock this wacko up, throw away the key, and then throw away the cell.

KDMichigan
Junior Participates
5.1  KDMichigan  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @5    5 years ago
Lock this wacko up,

You're to nice. how much does a bullet cost? 

Dean Moriarty
Professor Quiet
7  Dean Moriarty    5 years ago

Richard Holzer  reminds me of a childhood friend of mine that started to display signs of schizophrenia around the age of 18. He turned extremely racist and about ten years ago was jailed for pulling a knife on a mixed race couple outside of a store. He said to the woman get your CIA ni--er out of my face". He has a belief that the government planted a chip inside his head to control his thoughts. He is only racist towards blacks and he himself is half Japanese. He has spent about half his adult life behind bars. Each time they let him out he's right back in trouble again after a couple months of living on the street. The last I'd heard of him he was going to prison for treating the Department of Homeland Security. I actually feel sorry for him even though he is a terrible racist and a threat to society. I know he's sick and cannot control his thoughts and his mind like normal people can. It's good that he's locked up most of the time because when he's out it's just a matter of time before he commits another crime. 

This is my childhood friend.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
7.1  seeder  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Dean Moriarty @7    5 years ago

That is a horrible story Dean. I am sorry for your friend. Of course, there are mentally ill people out there doing bad things and have no control over it. 

But that does not explain the huge uptick in neo-nazi violence. 

Enoch
Masters Quiet
7.2  Enoch  replied to  Dean Moriarty @7    5 years ago

Dear Friend Dean: I have done prison Chaplaincy.

Many of the people there should not be in prison.

They should be in a mental hygiene treating facility, or a group home for the developmentally disabled.

The problem is that there is space and funding for them in prison.

Not in hospitals and group homes.

As a nation we need to up our game morally.

That way people like your friend can get the help they need, not pose a threat to society.

P&AB.

Enoch.

Dean Moriarty
Professor Quiet
7.2.1  Dean Moriarty  replied to  Enoch @7.2    5 years ago

Yes I agree with you and thank you for all the time and effort you put into helping others. You often remind me that I should do more to help others. 

KDMichigan
Junior Participates
7.2.2  KDMichigan  replied to  Enoch @7.2    5 years ago
Many of the people there should not be in prison.

That's debatable.

I know a pedophile who just got out and I am not happy about it. I haven't and won't see him but I'm sure that fucker hasn't changed.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
7.2.3  seeder  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  KDMichigan @7.2.2    5 years ago

I think that some people can be reformed and become good citizens, but not pedophiles. They are broken.

Enoch
Masters Quiet
7.2.4  Enoch  replied to  KDMichigan @7.2.2    5 years ago

Dear Friend K.D.Michigan: There is, as far as I know nothing in the State of the Healing (Medical) Arts that will cure pedophiles, or keep society safe from them.

Society can be kept safe from them by placing them in places off the streets other than prisons.

We need to protect the innocent from predators.

We can do so in ways other than incarceration which are cheaper, and more humane. 

That is my point.

Sorry if I was not as clear on that as I should have been.

Thanks for raising this valid point.

P&AB.

Enoch.

Enoch
Masters Quiet
7.2.5  Enoch  replied to  Dean Moriarty @7.2.1    5 years ago

Dear Friend Dean: As Rabbi Hillel once famously wrote in Pirke Avoth (Saying of the Fathers):

"Eem ain anili mee li? Eem lo besheeli, leatsmee? Eem lo akshav as matai"?  

"If I am not for myself, who will be? If I am only for myself, what am I? If not now, when"?

Now is the best of times to do the first two.

In both you do well.

Good on you, friend.

P&AB.

Enoch.

Thrawn 31
Professor Guide
8  Thrawn 31    5 years ago

Seems simple to me, execute him. 

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
8.1  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  Thrawn 31 @8    5 years ago

I say relocate them to a deserted island with shark infested waters.  Give them a few supplies and then just forget where they are.

Enoch
Masters Quiet
8.1.1  Enoch  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @8.1    5 years ago

Dear Friend Paula: In Biblical times there were six cities of refuge.

They were set up to do just that.

Be alternatives to the death penalty.

Take put of society those who present a clear and present danger to it, and there is no known way to rehabilitate them.

Let them make of these cities where once included they cannot leave what they will.

P&AB.

Enoch.  

CB
Professor Principal
8.1.2  CB  replied to  Enoch @8.1.1    5 years ago

Brother Enoch!

Cities of refuge must have been quite full and 'hellish'? Care to illuminate our understanding of one or two of these cities? Could be quite informative.

Enoch
Masters Quiet
8.1.3  Enoch  replied to  CB @8.1.2    5 years ago

Dear Brother CB: If the Sanhedrin (Biblical SCOTUS equivalent) applied the death penalty more than once every 70 years it was considered an unduly strict court. 

The alternative to what would normally require the death penalty was to create six cities of refuge. 

Instead of executing those who were sentenced to death, they we put into such a city.

Once in, they could not leave.  

They were free to make of it what they would.

They were the only ones who lived there.

It is not known what life was like there.

Many speculate that the drive to survive caused them to work together toward that end.

That is conjecture.

We do not and cannot know.

Only those inside knew.

They spent all their days there, whether they died of natural or fellow resident causes.

However that played out, they were given the second chance they did not deserve.

It was set up as an alternative to the death penalty, while keeping safe citizens of regular society.

The safety of the innocent was paramount.

Executions were replaced by the Cities of Refuge.

Even if those their deserved to be executed, they feeling was the State had not the right to take their lives if there was another way to go.  

P&AB.

Enoch.

CB
Professor Principal
8.1.4  CB  replied to  Enoch @8.1.3    5 years ago

That's very interesting, Enoch. And it's a doubly interesting thought point. That is something considering all the negativity one can read about Ancient Jews around here. Sorry, I digress. You don't deserve that.

Enoch
Masters Quiet
8.1.5  Enoch  replied to  CB @8.1.4    5 years ago

Dear Brother CB: We both know first hand how those bigoted against any and all religion for whatever motivates such prejudice are not above distorting things they do not know, or bother trying to understand.

I find it interesting that many read things other than in the original language, and place their faith in defective because difficient epistemological models. They expect us to take all this sloppy scholarship on blind faith. Yet they hypocritically rail against blind faith.

This is even worse because they lump all religions as operating under the same structure and value hierarchy. That is contrary to the evidence.

Of course, if evidence works against their position(s), so much the worse for inconvenient truths.    

The role of faith is the same for science as it is for religion and the humanities. Front ended. 

In order to avoid circular reasoning we may not assume what we are trying to either prove or disprove by using such methods.  Dog chasing its own tail scenario. Much activity, lots of ground covered. Nothing achieved in the process.  

Engaging in reductionist epistemological models for metaphysics is as counter productive as trying to discredit 2,000 plus and 6,000 plus year approaches to living life most fully and abundantly.  Even so, they have done so much for so many. Spoken to such needs as varied as are all of us who comprise humanity.  

The former a category mistake. The latter wallowing in ignorance.

As the tagline in the famous Yiddish story of the Vilna Apikorsis goes, "Nit kein Apikoris. Zies an Am Ha Aretz"!  (No one can be a heretic who is an ignorant). Before anyone can agree or disagree with anything, they must first understand and master it.           

The goal of Judenrein (Jew Free) did not originate with Martin Bohrmann and the National Socialists at the Wandsee Conference where the "Final Solution" of the Jewish problem - Vermichtung (Extermination) was planned.

For as long as there have been Jewish People, there are those who try to wipe us out. Either by the sin of the sword, or evangelical sin. The methods vary. The goal the same.

There is nothing you or I can do for such.

True repentance and atonement has to come from within to be effective. It cannot be externally imposed. The credit for that goes to the external source. Not the origin of the moral depravity involved.

In your full rich heritage there are also martyrs as in others and mine. We pay a price for standing for what is good kind caring and humane. 

How the world is full of those so full of themselves they never learned to live and let live.

It is also the case that they haven't caught on to the fact that going through life with hatred in their hearts never plays out well for anyone affected.

All that said, folks like you and I will always be there for them should they seek out whatever support, solace, assistance and fellowship they need and want on terms which respect them and their ways. Even if their ways disrespect us and ours. 

We get, you, others and I that good deeds are applied theology.

That we best serve the Holy by being of service to any and all around us who need and are willing to accept it from us.

On this holiday of giving thanks, let us all commit to expressing our gratitude for all we have that we do not deserve.

We should do this by random and intentional acts of loving kindness (Chesed, Agape) to and for all in need who will accept what we have to give.

Onward and upward dear friend.

Onward and upward.

Peace and Abundant Blessings Always, to Those Who Will Accept Us for Us, and Those Who Refuse to Do So.

All members of the same human family.

All children of the same G-d.

Enoch.

CB
Professor Principal
8.1.6  CB  replied to  Enoch @8.1.5    5 years ago

Well said. This comment will be applied like a salve to my spirit. Happy Thanksgiving!

Enoch
Masters Quiet
8.1.7  Enoch  replied to  CB @8.1.6    5 years ago

Same to you, dear brother CB.

P&AB.

E.