╌>

Robert Redford: President Trump's dictator-like administration is attacking the values America holds dear

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  pj  •  5 years ago  •  101 comments

Robert Redford: President Trump's dictator-like administration is attacking the values America holds dear

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

We’re up against a crisis I never thought I’d see in my lifetime: a dictator-like attack by President Donald Trump on everything this country stands for. As   last week’s impeachment hearings   made clear, our shared tolerance and respect for the truth, our sacred rule of law, our essential freedom of the press and our precious freedoms of speech — all have been threatened by a single man.

Our shared tolerance and respect for the truth, our sacred rule of law, our essential freedom of the press and our precious freedoms of speech — all have been threatened by a single man.

It’s time for Trump to go — along with   those in Congress who have chosen party loyalty   over their oath to “solemnly affirm” their support for the Constitution of the United States. And it’s up to us to make that happen, through the power of our votes.

When Trump was elected, though he was not my choice, I honestly thought it only fair to give the guy a chance. And   like many others, I did . But almost instantly he began to disappoint and then alarm me. I don’t think I’m alone.

Tonight it pains me to watch what is happening to our country. Growing up as a child during World War II, I watched a united America defend itself against the threat of fascism. I watched this again, during the Watergate crisis, when our democracy was threatened. And again, when terrorists turned our world upside down.

During those times of crises, Congress came together, and our leaders came together. Politicians from both sides rose to defend our founding principles and the values that make us a global leader and a philosophical beacon of hope for all those seeking their own freedoms.

What is happening, right now, is so deeply disturbing that instead of the United States of America, we are now defined as the Divided States of America. Leaders on both sides lack the fundamental courage to cross political aisles on behalf of what is good for the American people.

We’re at a point in time where I reluctantly believe that we have much to lose — it is a critical and unforgiving moment.

We’re at a point in time where I reluctantly believe that we have much to lose — it is a critical and unforgiving moment. This monarchy in disguise has been so exhausting and chaotic, it’s not in the least bit surprising so many citizens are disillusioned.

The vast majority of Americans are busy with real life; trying to make ends meet and deeply frustrated by how hard Washington makes it to do just that.

But this is it. There are only 11 months left before the presidential election; 11 months before we get our one real chance to right this ship and change the course of disaster that lies before us.

Let’s rededicate ourselves to voting for truth, character and integrity in our representatives (no matter which side we’re on). Let’s go back to being the leader the world so desperately needs. Let’s return, quickly, to being simply ... Americans.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
1  Sean Treacy    5 years ago

Robert Redford is a dummy.

PJ
Masters Quiet
1.1  seeder  PJ  replied to  Sean Treacy @1    5 years ago

Thanks for your well thought out response.  Sounds like you are projecting.

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
1.1.1  Sean Treacy  replied to  PJ @1.1    5 years ago

Something as absurd as claiming Donald Trump is a dictator when his favored policies have been consistently  blocked by Congress (which is trying to remove him from office) doesn't take much effort to rebut, particularly when it comes from the boy who's been crying wolf his entire, endless career.

PJ
Masters Quiet
1.1.2  seeder  PJ  replied to  Sean Treacy @1.1.1    5 years ago

So you think the country is united and everything is perfect?  

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.1.3  Texan1211  replied to  PJ @1.1.2    5 years ago

Doesn't seem like the country has been united since 9/11.

It isn't a perfect world, and it is unreasonable to expect the US to be perfect.

When about 1/2 of folks declare that a President isn't their President, it is going to be awfully hard for unity.

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
1.1.5  Sean Treacy  replied to  PJ @1.1.2    5 years ago

No, I don't.  But baseless accusations of dictatorship whenever the President is a Republican goes along way to making the division worse.

PJ
Masters Quiet
1.1.6  seeder  PJ  replied to  Sean Treacy @1.1.5    5 years ago

They aren't baseless.  This is why you and others with the same mindset are a danger to our republic.  [deleted]

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.1.7  Texan1211  replied to  PJ @1.1.6    5 years ago
They aren't baseless.  

Actually, they simply are.

No one is trying to be a dictator in America.

It is ridiculous and preposterous.

PJ
Masters Quiet
2  seeder  PJ    5 years ago
Our shared tolerance and respect for the truth, our sacred rule of law, our essential freedom of the press and our precious freedoms of speech — all have been threatened by a single man.

I would disagree with Redford's suggestion that our freedoms are being threatened by a single man.  Every political leader along with those who support and sympathize with this President are responsible for attacking this country.   I believe they are enemies of America.

It Is ME
Masters Guide
3  It Is ME    5 years ago

I haven't been made to do anything under Trump ! jrSmiley_97_smiley_image.gif

Imagine, there are folks out there that think someone doing things that make this country better for it's own "American Citizens", is now considered a dictatorship ! jrSmiley_78_smiley_image.gif

PJ
Masters Quiet
3.1  seeder  PJ  replied to  It Is ME @3    5 years ago

So, how is America better under this president?

It Is ME
Masters Guide
3.1.1  It Is ME  replied to  PJ @3.1    5 years ago
So, how is America better under this president?

More jobs than people (help signs everywhere)?

Keeping more of what one makes, instead of shelling it over to the Oh so powerful government ?

American Minority unemployment lowest it's ever been ?

Borders actually mean something ?

"Others" around the world are required to pull their own weights, instead of relying on the U.S. ?

Trade deals are being pushed to be "Fair" to the U.S. too ?

No "New" wars requiring American citizens to be shipped out ?

Americans being brought home from the Old Wars ?

Oil and Gas Production in this country up (jobs) ?

401k's booming ?

"Veterans" are finally important ?

The "CRAP" that's been going on in our politics for decades, is being exposed ?

Things in this Country are going "TO WELL"....so people like Robert Redford (Democrats in General) need to find a way to tear it down. ?

Just a few ! jrSmiley_100_smiley_image.jpg

PJ
Masters Quiet
3.1.2  seeder  PJ  replied to  It Is ME @3.1.1    5 years ago

Practically everything you cited is fake or short term wins.  If you think that forcing over half the country to hate you is making America better then you have a very different understanding of what being better is.     

It Is ME
Masters Guide
3.1.4  It Is ME  replied to  PJ @3.1.2    5 years ago
Practically everything you cited is fake or short term wins.

jrSmiley_10_smiley_image.gif

Is that what the media is telling you ?

"If you think that forcing over half the country to hate you is making America better then you have a very different understanding of what being better is."

Hate doesn't put food on the table, or pay the bills. What Trump is "Actually" doing ...… does. jrSmiley_15_smiley_image.gif

Texan1211
Professor Principal
3.1.6  Texan1211  replied to  PJ @3.1.2    5 years ago
Practically everything you cited is fake or short term wins.

Which of the following are fake, as you claimed?

More jobs than people (help signs everywhere)?
Keeping more of what one makes, instead of shelling it over to the Oh so powerful government ?
American Minority unemployment lowest it's ever been ?
Borders actually mean something ?
"Others" around the world are required to pull their own weights, instead of relying on the U.S. ?
Trade deals are being pushed to be "Fair" to the U.S. too ?
No "New" wars requiring American citizens to be shipped out ?
Americans being brought home from the Old Wars ?
Oil and Gas Production in this country up (jobs) ?
401k's booming ?
"Veterans" are finally important ?

It Is ME
Masters Guide
3.1.7  It Is ME  replied to  XDm9mm @3.1.5    5 years ago
They simply refuse to acknowledge the truth

They Gotta get rid of this guy ! We can't get rid of the "Needy Class" . Can't have that happen.jrSmiley_88_smiley_image.gif

PJ
Masters Quiet
3.1.8  seeder  PJ  replied to  It Is ME @3.1.4    5 years ago

What made America so strong was our ability to put aside our differences when the country needed to come together because we believed in the same general principles.  

Your position is not a position of united we stand or America first.  It's you first and that's why our country is imploding.  

It Is ME
Masters Guide
3.1.10  It Is ME  replied to  PJ @3.1.8    5 years ago
What made America so strong was our ability to put aside our differences when the country needed to come together because we believed in the same general principles.  

You're talking about "War" ?

PJ
Masters Quiet
3.1.11  seeder  PJ  replied to  XDm9mm @3.1.9    5 years ago

I propose enforcing our laws and following the Constitution.  

You're proposing that we ignore the laws and discard the Constitution.

Based on our positions I'd say it's clear who is working against the country.  

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
3.1.13  Greg Jones  replied to  PJ @3.1.8    5 years ago

The problem is, is that the "loyal opposition" don't seem capable of putting aside their differences and work together, with the Republicans and Trump to do what is best for all the people of this country. The Democrats have not taken even one positive action for the good of the people for the last three years. Their total obsession is on removing Trump, rather than fielding candidates that can win elections. The party and/or president in power will do things and pass legislation that supports their agenda. That is how the system works.

It is not likely that Trump will be defeated for a second term, and it is very likely that the Dems will lose the House....the Republicans will be in complete control then. If that happens the Dems are SOL and all they will be able to do is cry, whine, wail in anguish, and think "what if"? And all we will do is say "we told you so".

The Magic 8 Ball
Masters Quiet
6  The Magic 8 Ball    5 years ago
President Trump's Dictator-Like Administration Is Attacking The Values America Holds Dear

because I hold open borders, endless wars and schit trade deals so close to my heart...  LOL