╌>

WHY ARE ALPHA MALES SUCH SAD SACKS?

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  larry-hampton  •  5 years ago  •  103 comments

WHY ARE ALPHA MALES SUCH SAD SACKS?
By now, you may have heard about a recent psychology study that confirmed what women have long suspected: Sexist men aren’t just assholes, they’re deeply mentally unwell.

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

The study, a meta-analysis   published in the   Journal of Counseling Psychology , found that men who subscribe to traditional ideas about masculinity are more likely to suffer psychological and behavioral problems, such as depression, anxiety, poor body image, substance abuse and being unable to form meaningful relationships.

The researchers identified 11 attitudes and behaviors generally regarded as masculine: a desire to win, a need for emotional control, risk-taking, violence, dominance, sexual promiscuity (e.g., “playboy” behavior), self-reliance, primacy of work (i.e., an obsession with professional success), power over women disdain for homosexuality and pursuit of status. The more strongly men associate those characteristics with manliness, the more likely they are to suffer psychological problems.

But one part of the study was particularly interesting, especially through the lens of pop culture: The association between traditional masculinity and the negative mental health outcomes mentioned in the study are especially strong for men who emphasized self-reliance, power over women and playboy behavior.

There are two possible explanations here: Either depressed men are trying to work and fuck their way to happiness, or being a controlling, workaholic, sex addict makes one depressed. Either way, the study proves that no amount of money, sex or power will fill the void in men’s souls, troubling when you consider men are often socialized to believe these things are ends unto themselves, the ultimate rewards in life. Instead, they appear to be the marks of a lonely existence.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Larry Hampton
Professor Participates
1  seeder  Larry Hampton    5 years ago

We’re familiar with the Secretly Depressed Super Successful Guy, but his existence persists in both the fictional and real worlds. Society knows money, sex and power are empty pursuits, yet men continue to pursue them anyway. This is exactly why traditional masculinity is so toxic: It teaches men to want what won’t make them happy.

KDMichigan
Junior Participates
1.1  KDMichigan  replied to  Larry Hampton @1    5 years ago
— traditional ideas about masculinity degrade and subjugate women while placing unattainable expectations on men that only leave them feeling inferior and depressed.

WTF is this? The Beta male magazine to make the Soy boys feel better about their feminism?

What I 1st seen on their home page...

I’m clutching the hind, cloven hooves of a confused goat at the Best Buck in the Bay gay rodeo on the banks of the Russian River in Sonoma County, California, while my partner, another rodeo attendee, attempts to slip on a pair of tighty-whities over its stumpy tail. 

[ deleted ]

Larry Hampton
Professor Participates
1.1.2  seeder  Larry Hampton  replied to  KDMichigan @1.1    5 years ago

This is the Dollar Shave Club's magazine...

In May 2015, the company began hiring writers and editors for a new website, Mel Magazine (stylized as MEL [27] ) which went online in late 2015. The website contains editorial content described by the company as "men's lifestyle topics". [27] [28]  While the site does not host  sponsored content , its business model "relies upon being a branded publisher", according to  Fast Company . [29]

~WIKI~

...do a little homework before making a comment on any of my articles; or, stop being purposefully obtuse and deceptive. You pulled one comment from one article in the whole magazine, to try to make it look like a gay site; that is shameful and deceitful. 

KDMichigan
Junior Participates
1.1.3  KDMichigan  replied to  Larry Hampton @1.1.2    5 years ago
to try to make it look like a gay site

Never said no such thing, I followed your seeded link. Is the comment I linked not at the top of the web page?

content described by the company as "men's lifestyle topics"

[deleted

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
1.1.4  JohnRussell  replied to  Larry Hampton @1.1.2    5 years ago
that is shameful and deceitful. 

ta da !  we are getting somewhere

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
1.1.5  JohnRussell  replied to  KDMichigan @1.1    5 years ago
I sure the hell don't want to see your browser history.

This comment is a thinly veiled personal attack on the seeder.  I think the mods ought to explain the rules of this site to KD Michigan. [Deleted]

KDMichigan
Junior Participates
1.1.7  KDMichigan  replied to  JohnRussell @1.1.5    5 years ago
This comment is a thinly veiled personal attack on the seeder.

[ deleted ]

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
1.1.8  JohnRussell  replied to  Release The Kraken @1.1.6    5 years ago

never heard of it

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
1.1.9  JohnRussell  replied to  KDMichigan @1.1.7    5 years ago

WGAF ? 

igknorantzrulz
PhD Quiet
1.1.10  igknorantzrulz  replied to  Larry Hampton @1.1.2    5 years ago

...do a little homework before making a comment on any of my articles; or, stop being purposefully obtuse and deceptive. You pulled one comment from one article in the whole magazine, to try to make it look like a gay site; that is shameful and deceitful. 

as are many around here

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
1.1.11  JohnRussell  replied to  KDMichigan @1.1.3    5 years ago

Don't know anything about Mel Magazine , but I did do a quick search for what sort of thing appears there, and found this article, which is about heterosexual relationships. It mentions the readers partner being a woman at least a dozen times. 

https://melmagazine.com/en-us/story/everything-you-think-you-know-about-cheating-is-wrong. 

Split Personality
Professor Guide
1.1.12  Split Personality  replied to  JohnRussell @1.1.11    5 years ago

I was distracted by this article.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
1.1.13  JohnRussell  replied to  Split Personality @1.1.12    5 years ago

Good find. 

Split Personality
Professor Guide
1.1.14  Split Personality  replied to  JohnRussell @1.1.13    5 years ago

And no one can disagree with this one;

KDMichigan
Junior Participates
1.1.15  KDMichigan  replied to  JohnRussell @1.1.11    5 years ago
It mentions the readers partner being a woman at least a dozen times. 

What is your point? Who said it was a gay magazine? 

KDMichigan
Junior Participates
1.1.16  KDMichigan  replied to  JohnRussell @1.1.11    5 years ago
but I did do a quick search for what sort of thing appears there,

There is all kinds of reading you might find interesting I'm sure.

Split Personality
Professor Guide
1.1.17  Split Personality  replied to  KDMichigan @1.1.16    5 years ago

When someone seeds from the Washington Post or The Examiner or the WSJ, do you search around the personal section or the Posts' dating app?

[deleted]

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
1.1.18  JohnRussell  replied to  KDMichigan @1.1.16    5 years ago

Still not seeing gay content in there. Here is a photo from one of the articles in the section you are mentioning.

Cum_Hard-310x175.jpg

KDMichigan
Junior Participates
1.1.19  KDMichigan  replied to  Split Personality @1.1.17    5 years ago
You comments about other articles on that site are off topic.

Well seeing the seeder responded to my comment instead of flagging it I guess he didn't feel the same way as you. 

So would your comment be considered META?

You comments about other articles on that site are off topic.

I was distracted by this article.

And no one can disagree with this one;

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
3  Raven Wing    5 years ago

Personally, I find alpha males to be far more into themselves and their own body than intelligence and credibility. Most are far more interested in talking about themselves and how great their bodies are and how women just can't resist them than holding an interesting and intelligent mutual conversation with others. 

I have known a few of such alpha males in my lifetime and they are not only exceedingly boring when all they do is brag about themselves, yet, they wondered why I was not drooling over them as they spoke.

Also, alpha males tend to be rude, crude, overly demanding and very misogynistic. I'll pass.

user image
Freshman Silent
3.2    replied to  Raven Wing @3    5 years ago

You are just talking about meatheads. Trust me, there are many men who like to be the alpha intellectually as well. They can be every bit as annoying.

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
3.3  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  Raven Wing @3    5 years ago

My father was an alpha male, but only in business.  He was the kindest and smartest man I knew, who was fiercely loyal to his friends, family, and customers.  He had a total respect for women and recognized their accomplishments.

Dismayed Patriot
Professor Quiet
3.3.1  Dismayed Patriot  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @3.3    5 years ago
He was the kindest and smartest man I knew, who was fiercely loyal to his friends, family, and customers.  He had a total respect for women and recognized their accomplishments.

That is what all males should be striving to be. Kind, smart, loyal, respectful, caring and observant. Not the supposed "Alpha" males that grunt like Neanderthals as seen in the old "Home Improvement" show who are merely abandoning their sense and reason for the adrenaline rush of animalistic pounding the chest and a overwhelming desire to imitate dominance. The faux strength championed by some that requires dominating their female, being "hard" or "mean" instead of showing empathy towards others, the collection of and almost romantic admiration for weapons of war and violence, all of it exposes the weak little mentally deficient man baby inside the supposed "Alpha" male who does nothing to benefit society as a whole. You rarely find the "Alpha" males taking the lead in helping others, you often find them taking the lead to help themselves. You rarely find "Alpha" males trying to work towards others doing as well as themselves, fighting for pay equity for women, fighting for equal rights for everyone in society. You almost always find Alpha males working for the exact opposite, pushing others down in an attempt to achieve some dominance over others because they don't have any real self respect and self confidence, they find it hard to feel good about themselves without tearing others down first. Many alpha males also cherish ignorance since it's far more "Alpha" to claim you know everything already and stick with their preconceived misogyny they were indoctrinated in as a child in lieu of being humble enough to be curious and admit that you don't know something or are in fact lost and need a map which their wife likely pointed out to them many times already.

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
3.3.2  Raven Wing  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @3.3    5 years ago
He had a total respect for women and recognized their accomplishments.

Sounds like my own Father. He was born and raised a Southern boy, but, he had none of the usual misogynistic attitudes towards women that is so common among many Southern men. 

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
3.3.3  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  Raven Wing @3.3.2    5 years ago

It is so rare these days.

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
3.3.4  Raven Wing  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @3.3.3    5 years ago

Indeed.  

KDMichigan
Junior Participates
3.3.5  KDMichigan  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @3.3    5 years ago
He was the kindest and smartest man I knew, who was fiercely loyal to his friends, family, and customers.  He had a total respect for women and recognized their accomplishments.

Don't let the article fool you, that is a Alpha male. 

Dean Moriarty
Professor Quiet
4  Dean Moriarty    5 years ago

Charles Atlas had it backwards. That scrawny kid should have been happy to get sand kicked in his face. 

igknorantzrulz
PhD Quiet
4.1  igknorantzrulz  replied to  Dean Moriarty @4    5 years ago

Charles Atlas had it backwards. That scrawny kid should have been happy to get sand kicked in his face. 

well in today's reality, the scrawny kid can just grab a gun and blow away his foe....no ?

Dean Moriarty
Professor Quiet
4.1.1  Dean Moriarty  replied to  igknorantzrulz @4.1    5 years ago

These days I wouldn’t be surprised if the scrawny kid did the tuck under, wore a yellow polkadot bikini and called himself Sally. 

Larry Hampton
Professor Participates
4.1.2  seeder  Larry Hampton  replied to  Dean Moriarty @4.1.1    5 years ago

The scrawny kid got a degree from MIT and now owns the company the sand-kicker cleans toilets at.

Kavika
Professor Principal
4.1.4  Kavika   replied to  Release The Kraken @4.1.3    5 years ago

In the real world this is what happens when the scrawny kid grows up. 

5' 6'' and 130lbs today. 

u-g-PJ69CK0.jpg?w=900&h=900&p=0

And he's from Larry's area of the county. 

1stwarrior
Professor Participates
4.1.5  1stwarrior  replied to  Release The Kraken @4.1.3    5 years ago

So, that's what Zuckenberg is?  How 'bout Bill Gates?  Where's their guns?

Kavika
Professor Principal
4.1.7  Kavika   replied to    5 years ago
He has been grown up for over 50 years.

Yes, he has and when he was a kid he was nerdy/skinny and grew up to become a music legend. 

That's the point. 

Tessylo
Professor Principal
4.1.8  Tessylo  replied to  Release The Kraken @4.1.3    5 years ago

'You wish it happened that way Larry but we both know the scrawny kid grew up to be an incel and mass shooter.'

It's only on the 'right' that that happens.  

Dean Moriarty
Professor Quiet
4.1.9  Dean Moriarty  replied to  Kavika @4.1.7    5 years ago

When I was a kid I never wanted to be a beta like Dylan. I wanted to be an alpha like Elvis. 

zuksam
Junior Silent
4.1.10  zuksam  replied to  Kavika @4.1.7    5 years ago

But they're just stereotypes, they mean nothing. Most nerdy/skinny people are not geniuses and most muscular fit people are not stupid bullies. There's no correlation between body type or size and intelligence. Nor is there any to being mean or a bully or evil in general. Some of the most violent, evil people I've known were physically unfit, they were just bad people while some of the scariest brutish looking people I've known were the kindest gentlest people.

Kavika
Professor Principal
4.1.11  Kavika   replied to  Dean Moriarty @4.1.9    5 years ago
When I was a kid I never wanted to be a beta like Dylan. I wanted to be an alpha like Elvis. 

LOL, I wouldn't call Dylan a beta cuz the women seemed to have a crush on him. 

1-Bob-Dylan-unkown-lady-John-Shearer-Photo.jpg

You come up with some good one's Dean. Always fun to spar with you.jrSmiley_13_smiley_image.gif

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
4.1.12  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  zuksam @4.1.10    5 years ago
most muscular fit people are not stupid bullies

The Rock is a perfect example.

Larry Hampton
Professor Participates
4.1.13  seeder  Larry Hampton  replied to  Dean Moriarty @4.1.9    5 years ago

Just as the alphas described in this article, he died addicted, physically and emotionally unhealthy, and alone.

Kavika
Professor Principal
7  Kavika     5 years ago

This is dedicated to all the alpha males on NT...This song is for you...

KDMichigan
Junior Participates
7.1  KDMichigan  replied to  Kavika @7    5 years ago
This is dedicated to all the alpha males on NT

I don't know any. Do tell...

Kavika
Professor Principal
7.1.1  Kavika   replied to  KDMichigan @7.1    5 years ago

I'll introduce you to MUVA who thought he was an Alpha male until his wife told him he wasn't..jrSmiley_4_smiley_image.png

Kavika
Professor Principal
7.1.3  Kavika   replied to    5 years ago
I thought I was a alpha male till I met a alpha female my wife she has continued to put me in my place for 33 years.

Dammit MUVA that is a quote from you...Were you telling a fib? jrSmiley_4_smiley_image.png

I was 5' 1'' in 11 grade so I quit school and went into the military. When I left the Army I was 6' 1 1/2''....That is the truth, well some of the truth. jrSmiley_10_smiley_image.gif

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
7.2  Raven Wing  replied to  Kavika @7    5 years ago

LOL!! Very fitting.

Larry Hampton
Professor Participates
7.3  seeder  Larry Hampton  replied to  Kavika @7    5 years ago

So macho Kavika!

:~)

Dean Moriarty
Professor Quiet
7.4  Dean Moriarty  replied to  Kavika @7    5 years ago

I don’t know Kavika I had always envisioned you to be more like Billy Jack than the Indian in the Village People. 

Kavika
Professor Principal
7.4.1  Kavika   replied to  Dean Moriarty @7.4    5 years ago
I don’t know Kavika I had always envisioned you to be more like Billy Jack than the Indian in the Village People. 

Ya think so Dean. Although Billy Jack was a wannabe he was pretty cool. Felipe Rose is Lakota/Taino/Puerto Rican and a real Indian...He also has mastered quite a few of the martial arts. 

Here is a photo of an acquaintance of mine, he has since walked on a few years back, in a Billy Jack hat. He's a real Indian..

Dennis_Banks_(8673602267)_(cropped).jpg

Dean Moriarty
Professor Quiet
7.4.2  Dean Moriarty  replied to  Kavika @7.4.1    5 years ago

Ok I believe you. I thought Billy Jack was macho and pretty cool too. 

Jack_TX
Professor Quiet
8  Jack_TX    5 years ago
The researchers identified 11 attitudes and behaviors generally regarded as masculine: a desire to win, a need for emotional control, risk-taking, violence, dominance, sexual promiscuity (e.g., “playboy” behavior), self-reliance, primacy of work (i.e., an obsession with professional success), power over women disdain for homosexuality and pursuit of status. 

"Generally regarded" by whom?  

This reads like a list of things angry weak people want to pretend "alpha males" believe.

Split Personality
Professor Guide
9  Split Personality    5 years ago

( from the link in the seed )

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
10  Perrie Halpern R.A.    5 years ago

You know what I find amusing? All these men talking about what is alpha or beta with very little imput from the women, who actually date and marry men. 

Alpha isn't hight. It isn't muscle. It's a state of mind. You can be 5'8" and be an alpha male or 6" and be a beta  (according to the rules from these guy sites). 

I had a 2-year relationship with a guy who was 5'8". He was most definitely self-assured. So much so that the girl he dated before me was Carol Alt, who was 6 feet tall and had no issue dating him. On the other hand, the guy I almost married when I was 19 was a beta (again according to these guy mags) and he was 6 feet tall and worked out. But I ran circles around him.... hence why we didn't marry. 

Girls find a lot of things sexy in a guy. There is no formula for it. 

KDMichigan
Junior Participates
10.2  KDMichigan  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @10    5 years ago
There is no formula for it. 

Exactly. The things this article attributes to a Alpha male that is bound to suffer mental problems I find Hillaryious. I might get labeled as some of the symptoms but I don't see all of them, is cooking 90% of all meals leading to psychological problems. Or taking care of the household doing the laundry and dishes and folding clothes because I'll quit doing that shit right now.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
10.2.1  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  KDMichigan @10.2    5 years ago

KD,

I have been reading the male wars for the last couple of weeks and the same could be said about what are beta males. In truth, I don't think that most of the things that men thing are alpha or beta are not what women think are alpha or beta. And given to any extreme, neither is good. Like most things, balance is probably what is the best.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
10.2.2  JohnRussell  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @10.2.1    5 years ago

Alpha Males

th?id=OIP.Zh02bVOYpzFg7Wm1B_YElwHaE6&w=2 ?url=https%3A%2F%2Fstatic.politico.com%2

f707458a18324f8fb3a232c5bcce7b2a_18.jpg th?id=OIP.KjvlhU5AqfpHZiBz4QVsQwHaFC&w=2

166051874.jpg?quality=80&strip&ssl=1 24-rudy-giuliani.w700.h700.jpg

r-kelly-5.jpg OJ-Simpson-Nicole-Knife-Slash-Throat-1.j 1380783599_al-capone-taxes-660.jpg

Jim-Jones_2.jpg

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
10.3  Raven Wing  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @10    5 years ago
Girls find a lot of things sexy in a guy.

There are many things that I find sexy about men, without the very hairy armpits, hairy legs and huge muscles. 

Intelligence on many levels is one, their taking the time to find out what I like as well, a good listener, a good sense of humor, and taking responsibility for their own actions are but a few. Height is not a priority, and even though I am 5' 10'' I dated a few short men in my life and we had a lot of fun. 

I found that with alpha males, if the primary conversation isn't about them on an on-going basis they get bored very quickly. And so do I.

Just not my type. 

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
10.3.1  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Raven Wing @10.3    5 years ago
Just not my type. 

See, that is the thing about women. We all have different kinds of types. Some of us have no type at all, other than someone who can be a good companion. 

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
10.4  Trout Giggles  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @10    5 years ago

I dated a guy before I met Mr Giggles who thought he was an Alpha male but I ran rings around him intellectually. Then I met Mr Giggles who was no muscle bound meat head like the previous boyfriend but he is kind, smart, and a real hoot.

I met my match and it's been 30 years.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
10.4.1  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Trout Giggles @10.4    5 years ago

Awww.. that had a happy ending :)

pat wilson
Professor Participates
11  pat wilson    5 years ago

I think it's pretty basic. Alpha-types, male or female tend to be leaders in a group, they are more dominate in general but physical attributes don't necessarily denote an alpha personality.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
11.2  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  pat wilson @11    5 years ago

I would have to agree with that Pat. 

Enoch
Masters Quiet
12  Enoch    5 years ago

Dear Friend Larry Hampton: When a very close friend of mine blessed the impeding marriage of his daughter to her suitor he said the following to both.

"Your job for life is to love, support, understand and care for each other.

Think of each others needs first.

Enjoy life together".

Wisdom indeed.

Its not about dominance.

Its about a marriage being more than the sum of the partners, living in unison.

Great thoughts Larry.

Please keep more coming.

P&AB.

Enoch.

Larry Hampton
Professor Participates
12.1  seeder  Larry Hampton  replied to  Enoch @12    5 years ago

Thank you Enoch; your words of wisdom,,,,are always, always welcome.

Revillug
Freshman Participates
13  Revillug    5 years ago

What is up with all this Alpha male nonsense here on NT?

Why should I believe that there are any actual Alpha males wasting their time here?

Jerks, yes. We've got those, but...

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
14  Perrie Halpern R.A.    5 years ago