╌>

Daredevils jump 800+ feet on West Virginia ‘holiday’

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  perrie-halpern  •  5 years ago  •  23 comments

Daredevils jump 800+ feet on West Virginia ‘holiday’
Our Gadi Schwartz went to West Virginia for the annual Bridge Day, the one day every year when the New River Gorge Bridge closes off traffic and opens to pedestrians, to allow them to watch BASE jumpers fly 876 feet into the gorge below.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

charger 383
Professor Silent
1  charger 383    5 years ago

I walked down the trail to the bottom of New River Gorge years ago.  Very scenic area.   

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
2  sandy-2021492    5 years ago

My sis goes to Bridge Day most years.  My parents took my nephew last fall. I have an issue with heights, so not my thing.

cjcold
Professor Quiet
3  cjcold    5 years ago

Did some parachuting, bungee jumping, full contact fighting, bouncing and free climbing back when I was a kid. I had no fear back in the day. Fear all of that sort of thing now. It's a bitch getting old.

cjcold
Professor Quiet
3.1  cjcold  replied to  cjcold @3    5 years ago

Where the hell is Buna?

devangelical
Professor Principal
3.2  devangelical  replied to  cjcold @3    5 years ago

I hear that shit. I kind of miss those days when you were way too young to realize that you probably couldn't or shouldn't do something that exceeds the current boundaries of sanity. how did we live this long?

cjcold
Professor Quiet
3.2.1  cjcold  replied to  devangelical @3.2    5 years ago

Went into a stupid dive in a hang glider once that I barely survived. Weeks in hospital. 

Dulay
Professor Expert
4  Dulay    5 years ago

I've rafted the gorge 3 times, twice on overnight trips in the smallest raft on the river. Awesome. 

charger 383
Professor Silent
5  charger 383    5 years ago

Years ago, when they could still do it, a railroad worker took me out on the Hawks Nest railroad bridge across the New River while he inspected the tracks.  The river is deep there because of a dam.

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
5.1  sandy-2021492  replied to  charger 383 @5    5 years ago

We took an excursion boat from near Hawks' Nest that goes right under that bridge.  It's not that high above the water, so when a train passes over, you get a pretty close-up view.

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
6  Jeremy Retired in NC    5 years ago

Maybe it's because I have over 80 jumps with the 82d Airborne at 800 feet that I don't see how this is special.  

Freefaller
Professor Quiet
6.1  Freefaller  replied to  Jeremy Retired in NC @6    5 years ago

I agree that parachute jumping is way more excitement, but bungey jumping does have its moments, like going face down to the bottom, stopping 5-10-20 feet short and bouncing back up is one of them.

igknorantzrulz
PhD Quiet
6.2  igknorantzrulz  replied to  Jeremy Retired in NC @6    5 years ago

My father was in the 82d.

He told me of one rough landing in high wind where he was drug half a mile, as he couldn't release the chute 

i had friennds that use to go there every year to the bridge, and drink watch. I never made it.

though i have jumped in MOAB Utah, home made bungee jumped off train bridges in Pa., mountain climbed with out gear, canoed at flood stage often, (Far more dangerous than when i whitewatered the Colorado River) 

I've done all sorts of stupid stuff, and am fortunate(not sure for who) to be alive, so i get your point.  But

I've never base jumped though, and would like to try it with one of those flying squirrel suits, that looks bad ass