╌>

Planned Parenthood: Alaska law restricts abortion access

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  gordy327  •  5 years ago  •  28 comments

Planned Parenthood: Alaska law restricts abortion access

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

ANCHORAGE, Alaska (AP) — Planned Parenthood of the Great Northwest and the Hawaiian Islands has sued over an Alaska law it says limits who can provide abortions. The lawsuit, filed Thursday, alleges a state law and Board of Nursing policy bar advanced practice clinicians from providing early abortion and miscarriage care that they are qualified to provide. This restricts access to abortion and other gynecological care “without medical justification” and violates the rights of women, the lawsuit alleges.

Department of Law spokeswoman Maria Bahr said by email that the department will review the complaint when it receives it and “respond in due course to the court system.” The complaint cites a provision of law that says an abortion may not be performed in Alaska unless it is performed by a physician licensed by the State Medical Board. The complaint alleges the Board of Nursing has rejected Planned Parenthood's request to have advanced practice clinicians provide “low-risk aspiration procedures” to treat miscarriages.  Planned Parenthood trains advanced practice clinicians at its clinics in Hawaii and Washington in medication abortion care and the clinicians have been providing medication abortions in these states for years, the lawsuit states. 

Gov. Mike Dunleavy vetoed from the current-year budget about $335,000 from the court system. The administration said the amount was commensurate to state funding for abortions following an Alaska Supreme Court decision striking down a law and regulation seeking to define what constitutes medically necessary abortions for Medicaid funding. That veto is the subject of a separate court challenge.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Gordy327
Professor Expert
1  seeder  Gordy327    5 years ago

Looks like another transparent attempt to unjustly restrict women's rights and/or access to healthcare. Not to mention possibly trying to force the abortion issue before a higher court again. I'm a little surprised it's Alaska this time. Usually, BS like this comes from states like Missouri or Arkansas.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
1.1  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Gordy327 @1    5 years ago

Gordy, you seem to forget who was their governor was. I am not surprised in the least.

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
1.1.1  sandy-2021492  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @1.1    5 years ago

Yup.  How many babies did Bristol have while pushing abstinence?

Gordy327
Professor Expert
1.1.2  seeder  Gordy327  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @1.1    5 years ago
Gordy, you seem to forget who was their governor was. I am not surprised in the least.

Of course, silly me jrSmiley_4_smiley_image.png

But the current governor, Gov. Dunleavy, seems to cut from the same cloth as certain predecessors. 

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
1.1.3  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  sandy-2021492 @1.1.1    5 years ago

LMAO!

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
1.1.4  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Gordy327 @1.1.2    5 years ago

Indeedy. So where do we stand now?

Gordy327
Professor Expert
1.1.5  seeder  Gordy327  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @1.1.4    5 years ago
Indeedy. So where do we stand now?

Apparently, in the same place we stood before. And if states like Alaska, Missouri, Ohio, ect., had their way, we'd be going backwards.

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
1.1.6  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  sandy-2021492 @1.1.1    5 years ago

When she wasn't  busy getting pregnant, she participated in back yard BBQ brawls with the rest of her white trash family.

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
1.1.7  sandy-2021492  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @1.1.6    5 years ago

A tight schedule, indeed.

charger 383
Professor Silent
1.1.8  charger 383  replied to  Gordy327 @1.1.5    5 years ago

and even more overpopulated

Gordy327
Professor Expert
1.1.9  seeder  Gordy327  replied to  charger 383 @1.1.8    5 years ago

This is true.

Ender
Professor Principal
2  Ender    5 years ago

Funny how people on the right always say that there should be no legislating from the bench yet it is what they try to do, time and again.

The courts just put a stop on the Mississippi 15 week ban.

That is all these bills are designed to do. Wind through the courts, hoping to land at the top court and dismantle as much of the law as possible.

Gordy327
Professor Expert
2.1  seeder  Gordy327  replied to  Ender @2    5 years ago
Funny how people on the right always say that there should be no legislating from the bench yet it is what they try to do, time and again.

It seems It's only "legislating from the bench" when they don't get their way.

The courts just put a stop on the Mississippi 15 week ban.

How many times in how many states does this make now? Will they ever learn?

That is all these bills are designed to do. Wind through the courts, hoping to land at the top court and dismantle as much of the law as possible.

Indeed. And they waste time and taxpayer money everytime they attempt BS like this, which can probably be put to better use. But no, they seem to enjoy exercises in futility while making some king of sanctimonious stand to protect clumps of cells over actual women's rights. 

Ender
Professor Principal
2.1.2  Ender  replied to  Gordy327 @2.1    5 years ago

It always amazes me. The absolute freedom crowd can never get enough of trying to control others.

I think it also has to do with them trying to stack the courts.

Gordy327
Professor Expert
2.1.3  seeder  Gordy327  replied to    5 years ago
Hey you seem to be a smart guy what does that clump of cells become?

A bigger clump of cells. But what it eventually becomes is irrelevant. That's not what it is at the time an abortion is performed, nor is it when viability is reached (most abortions are performed before viability too). So do you have a point to your question, other than possibly trying to elicit some appeal to emotion?

Gordy327
Professor Expert
2.1.4  seeder  Gordy327  replied to  Ender @2.1.2    5 years ago
It always amazes me. The absolute freedom crowd can never get enough of trying to control others.

It is ironic actually. And they always seem to hash out the same old, flawed and failed arguments too. 

I think it also has to do with them trying to stack the courts.

If I recall correctly, the SCOTUS itself was more conservative when they allowed abortion.

Gordy327
Professor Expert
2.1.6  seeder  Gordy327  replied to    5 years ago
I have idea how about not starting that clump of cells to being with not act like a animal in heat and take some responsibility.

That's irrelevant to the abortion issue and rights itself. And yes, humans are animals and we do go in "heat," as we get horny. Hormones tend to do that. And some people are responsible and use protection. Of course, that's not 100% effective either.

I'm not for banning abortion but there should be much less in the 21 century . 

Abortion rates have declined. But what's an acceptable number of abortions to you, if you're not for banning it?

Gordy327
Professor Expert
2.1.8  seeder  Gordy327  replied to    5 years ago
0 would be the preferred unless the mother life is in danger or insest ,rape and age of the female.

That's just not realistic.

I have been married for 32 years and before that I was a Mac you may have to look that up. I have as many children as I planned to.

Congratulations. But some women do not want children when they get pregnant and shouldn't be forced to.

charger 383
Professor Silent
2.1.9  charger 383  replied to  Gordy327 @2.1.8    5 years ago

If you end up with something you don't want, no matter what it is, you do not take good care of it.  

Gordy327
Professor Expert
2.1.10  seeder  Gordy327  replied to  charger 383 @2.1.9    5 years ago
If you end up with something you don't want, no matter what it is, you do not take good care of it.

Not to mention it can generate bitterness and resentment.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
2.2  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Ender @2    5 years ago

It is most definitely, throwing pop at the wall to see what will stick. I bet they even have the forms boilerplate. 

Gordy327
Professor Expert
2.2.2  seeder  Gordy327  replied to    5 years ago
Passing bills isn't legislating from the bench stoping them with a court action is

That's exactly what the courts are supposed to do: review laws and determine if they run afoul of the Constitution and strike them down if they are unconstitutional.

Freefaller
Professor Quiet
3  Freefaller    5 years ago

Yet another example of a state trying to limit the personal freedom of it's people. Kinda surprised it's Alaska this time as personal freedom is generally a big deal in that state.

Gordy327
Professor Expert
3.1  seeder  Gordy327  replied to  Freefaller @3    5 years ago
Yet another example of a state trying to limit the personal freedom of it's people. Kinda surprised it's Alaska this time as personal freedom is generally a big deal in that state.

Indeed. This is something one would expect from other states, not so much Alaska.